• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Helsong

Smash Ace
maybe hearsay, but here's a supposed transcript of the conversations between the character in question and the player avatar
I'm in agreement with @ PlateProp PlateProp and @ zman804 zman804 it's just..some stupid tropey anime thing. There are a few implications in there that are somewhat uncomfortable, however. I'm assuming IntSys wasn't going for what you think, but rather some cliche romantic comedy. Erring on the side of incompetence, as opposed to maliciousness. This uh...doesn't give me the most hope for any sort of serious romantic character interactions, though, along with some of the other things I've seen.

I feel like Path of Radiance was the last time FE had decent supports.

EDIT: I mean, it does remind me of the time James Bond had sex with a lesbian and turned her straight(Goldfinger was made in...sillier times). So...yeah.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Nintendo screwed themselves with how they handled this whole thing for an International audience. If they censor this game to hell for inappropriate content for a T rating then they are going to get serious backlash from players. Especially since they are charging us so much for a gimped version.

If they let weird **** like this pass then those cute articles from game journalists bloggers in the weekly cycle of clickbait outrage will tear the game apart for anything that smells funny.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I'm in agreement with @ PlateProp PlateProp and @ zman804 zman804 it's just..some stupid tropey anime thing. There are a few implications in there that are somewhat uncomfortable, however. I'm assuming IntSys wasn't going for what you think, but rather some cliche romantic comedy. Erring on the side of incompetence, as opposed to maliciousness. This uh...doesn't give me the most hope for any sort of serious romantic character interactions, though, along with some of the other things I've seen.

I feel like Path of Radiance was the last time FE had decent supports.

EDIT: I mean, it does remind me of the time James Bond had sex with a lesbian and turned her straight(Goldfinger was made in...sillier times). So...yeah.
James Bond is just that good

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Hey, man, I used to say I hated bacon (I know, I wasn't right in the head)
After trying it a few times I saw the light.

Helsong

Smash Ace
James Bond is just that good
I mean, at the time, I'm sure audiences thought it made him more heroic/macho. By today's standards, it's just silly and very dumb. Campy, really. But there's people who look at it and take it seriously, still.

James Bond is intensely misogynistic, and the older movies often say that's ok, and the world and events work out such that his attitude is not only commended, but a good thing that he is, despite the girls often dying after he's had his way with them. But it was largely a product of the source material, and thus the times during which these stories were written. Historical context, woo.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Granting that I have little context (seeing only parts of Goldfinger on AMC while falling into and out of sleep), the notion that James Bond is more macho for being able to elicit said change due to his sexual prowess is unfortunate. If manhood is defined as our abilities in bed, furthermore, if it is defined as an 'objectification of women', and the ability to emotionally dispose of women so readily, then there is little virtue and noble thought left to manhood at all. Nobody wants men to be that way, but we often have difficulty seeing it.
The principle of the change itself is not silly or unrealistic, however. That aspect is subordinate and non-essential to the destructive character that is James Bond.

Bleck

Smash Master
It's just..some stupid tropey anime thing. I'm assuming IntSys wasn't going for what you think, but rather some cliche romantic comedy.
Cliche romantic comedies are often the source of the most painfully enduring stereotypes for sexes/genders/orientations/etc.

I don't think that "they were just trying to be funny in a crappy weeb way" is gonna dissuade the huge amount of people who are probably gonna be offended by this, you know?

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't think that "they were just trying to be funny in a crappy weeb way" is gonna dissuade the huge amount of people who are probably gonna be offended by this, you know?
There's going to be a huge amount of people looking for things to get offended by anyway.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Understandable. I really enjoy permadeath in most games I play (Fire Emblem, Darkest Dungeon, X-com, etc), but IMO it takes a game thats actually designed around it to execute it well. For a game like this thats clearly designed to emulate the old Infinity Engine games, where you can run around and get into fights way over your head....

But hey, if you're enjoying it, more power to ya. That would probably be a decent way to pad out the game's length as well, since its relatively short (I beat it in around 40hrs).
Oh the fun PoE memories of death XD.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
This game is hard, like ****. Not the execution, actually playing the game is so difficult. I have so much to work on for understanding neutral, and I still need to fix ledge habits, clean up my tech chases, optimize punishes, and stop dropping edgeguards. So much to improve on.

My quest to git gud continues.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Okay guys let's get serious here for a minute.
How would you actually feel if Sakurai did something ****ING stupid like adding an anime only character?

Be honest with me what is the worst example people used for anime characters to be justified in smash besides Goku?
I don't really care about the origins of any of the characters so long as they're fun.

NW_Gump

Smash Apprentice
Just got finished playing VF5:FS with my friend for about 4 hours. Jean i love you

Zynux

Smash Lord
so apparently fire emblem fates has some kind of magical gay conversion therapy subplot with a lesbian character

that's uh not even remotely close to acceptable
Facts:
  • Soleil is canonically Bi, not lesbian (can only marry men, has a weakness for cute girls and prefers females [keyword is "prefers"])
  • Soleil get's light-headed and can't conduct herself around cute girls. In other supports she has tendencies to chase after cute girls which are her type.
  • MC plan: drugs character with special potion so that she will see girls everywhere and help her get over her crippling act of fainting during the battlefield and not be a liability.
  • Soleil asks MC for help of this predicament so that she won't freak out and faint around cute girls so that she can be a stronger warrior.
  • The drugs only lasts temporarily and it doesn't seem to be at all that effective but she starts to enjoy the company of the MC anyway. The intention behind the entire support had nothing to do with her orientation but her ability to keep her composure in order to become stronger. Also, in the end she is not "cured" of her love of girls: hell she even admits that she fell in love with the Rule 63 version of him.

Wow, it's ****ing nothing. Just a character with a dumb silly quirk. Of course, that doesn't stop the usual suspects who don't do their research to jump the gun and spill spaghetti when their feels are hurt since the Japanese apparently needs to cater to Westerner's every whim, get in line with their "progressivism" and should apparently give a damn about not offending whatever political beliefs people are so insecure about they will throw a fit for it not being met for some reason.

Anyone still spouting that it's "gay conversion therapy" (I guess Bi ladies characters wanting the D every now and then is now being converted straight? What?) are grossly misinterpreting her supports, spreading misinformation, and seems to lack reading comprehension. She's still pretty much the same as she always is, her sexuality is still pretty intact and she's still as bold as ever when it comes to her likes/dislikes in the end, and that never really changes throughout her supports.

But who needs facts, verification and research when narratives need to be written and outrage over nothing needs to take place? For Justice?[1][2]
  • "Some person on a random forum translated it"
  • "I can verify it, I'm some random person on twitter."

Really? All it takes for the outrage machine to kick in and "journalists" to even consider a non-story?

http://nintendonews.com/2015/07/fire-emblem-fates-lesbian-character-turned-straight/
https://archive.is/dENzo

"404 Error - Page Not Found
We're sorry, but the page you are looking for does not exist!"

My sides are gone. Journalism at it's finest, ladies and gentlemen.

It's not wrong to be largely critical of media when media is so harmful to so many people.
If a character that silly is enough to be "harmful" to a lot of people, in my opinion that says way more about them then it does Intelligent Systems. How emotionally unstable do you have to be that you need to be shielded from silly antics in fictional worlds involving fictional characters? A girl who chases after other girls because she finds them cute? A girl who faints when cute girls talk to her or get near her? Who drinks a potion to only see cute girls to help her problem of not fainting during battle? "Harmful"? Might as well get rid of violence too because that media is way too "harmful" and "uncomfortable" for our feeble minds to handle.

The concept over that entire support is so ridiculous yet people still found a way to be offended over it. Criticizing the cliche writing is one thing (but then you would be criticizing all Fire Emblem stories and supports) but these guys once again spreading misinformation over a non-issue and the faux outrage that followed is just hilarious. Why should anybody take these people seriously at any given time of the day?

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Okay guys let's get serious here for a minute.
How would you actually feel if Sakurai did something ****ING stupid like adding an anime only character?

Be honest with me what is the worst example people used for anime characters to be justified in smash besides Goku?
I would feel absolutely fine the more anime the better

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
This game is hard, like ****. Not the execution, actually playing the game is so difficult. I have so much to work on for understanding neutral, and I still need to fix ledge habits, clean up my tech chases, optimize punishes, and stop dropping edgeguards. So much to improve on.

My quest to git gud continues.
Diddy Kong is hard. The way he has to stretch his punish game and win neutral really highlights when you can't finish a stock. It's rewarding when you get the god stock though.

Also wow get rekted bleck

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Hey, friends.
Imagine you're locked up. Not locked up in a prison, but in a correctional institute. Imagine if, in that correctional institution, every turn by the people holding you there was filled with lies deliberately crafted to scare people into line, but not only that, to make them want to be in line so badly they start believing the lies, a regular 'there are five lights, not four', situation. You can move, you're not restrained, and you're with a group of others, but you know if you act you will be demonized, damaged, and the people around you might be damaged as well.
Imagine, that, casually, your most beloved is desecrated in front of you are you are told this is fine, that the institutions which prevented this where supporting some unnecessary cultural construct called morality.

Welcome to my dreams last night.
I don't know if I can go on. My regret is not acting sooner.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the fire emblem bit is hilarious because straight ppl keep tripping over themselves to call fire emblem "progressive", but there's more creepy gross **** in your games than there is literally just one gay romance option per-version

there are multiple incest romance-lines. like, you can't really get around that fact

also, "oh but she's bi!" doesn't make "you drugged someone to make them like you" much more tolerable, nah. if anything, it makes it more ridiculous that she's only allowed a single straight romance

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
tfw bleck got rekd so hard even he cant come up with a good witty response

Today's gonna be a good day
When does he ever?
well, bleck does make good points sometimes. it's not that uncommon, actually. he just doesn't know how to concede when he's presented with evidence that contradicts a statement he's made. he did the same thing when umbreon brought up studies he did (or researched?) in regards to hormones affecting judgement or thinking or something a while back.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Soleil is sexually harassing and molesting people who tell her they aren't interested, male and female, and nobody comments on what a piece of **** she is? Is this supposed to be cute behavior?

Top Bottom