• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Why do you have both X and Y tho?
I've got two brothers

They both play.

Besides, you can't actually register coins anymore, I just had the image lying around and forgot to post it.

I should probably still get all the games together for a big memory photo though since it's shutting down in two days ;_;7

Last edited:

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
A better question would be, why does he have two Y versions?

Well, never mind.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I keep forgetting that there was a point in melee's lifespan where marth wasn't based solely around maximum punishes and obnoxiously safe pokes

shoutouts to la luna

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I keep forgetting that there was a point in melee's lifespan where marth wasn't based solely around maximum punishes and obnoxiously safe pokes

shoutouts to la luna
Who wants to live in that world tho.

The Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision Friday that bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional, concluding decades of hard-fought battles by gay rights activists to grant marriage equality to all. Here is a timeline of milestones in the gay rights movement in the U.S.:
  • 1953: President Eisenhower warns nation of growing homosexual-industrial complex
  • June 28, 1969: Riots break out at Stonewall in Greenwich Village in history’s only example of useful protest against being asked to leave a bar
  • December 15, 1973: American Psychiatric Association downgrades homosexuality from mental disorder to quirk
  • November 27, 1978: Gay rights activist Harvey Milk assassinated, setting the stage for Sean Penn’s Oscar-winning 2008 performance
  • September 1994: First gay TV character who has personality traits other than being gay scrapped by NBC executives
  • September 21, 1996-June 26, 2013: Marriage defended
  • September 21, 1998: Premiere of hit sitcom Will & Grace shows millions of Americans that gay people can be just as grating as heterosexuals
  • May 17, 2004: Massachusetts becomes first state to legalize gay marriage after Governor Mitt Romney makes first mistake of forthcoming presidential campaign
  • April 2, 2005: Public high school teacher Sarah Collins shows 15 minutes of the movie Philadelphiato a room full of teenagers
  • December 18, 2010: Senate repeals “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell,” granting LGBT military members the right to be absolutely terrified to serve openly
  • May 23, 2013: Boy Scouts of America officially allows gay scouts to be tolerated
  • July 16, 2014: In Life With Archie Issue 37, iconic all-American comic book character Archie Andrews dies throwing himself in front of a bullet aimed at his gay friend and loudly proclaiming “This comic book series is on the right side of history”
  • July 26, 2015: The Supreme Court rules that bans against gay marriage are unconstitutional, backdating the decision to 1993 to spare the nation from embarrassment
  • June 18, 2025: United States’ homosexual overlords sacrifice another 100,000 breeders to the flames
http://www.theonion.com/article/obama-help-us-destroy-jesus-and-start-a-new-age-of-29478

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Persona 4: Dancing All Night is one of those things that I won't complain about, but always question why we have suddenly gotten a rhythm game based on Persona 4.

Like, I do like Persona 4's soundtrack, and the game's visuals are really nice as usual... but why, other than the "oh it's Persona 4 people will buy it"?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Finally done downloading stuff with the coins.

Earthbound
Super Mario Bros the lost levels
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda a Link to the past
Super Mario 64
SUPER SMASHHHHHHHHHH BROTHERS
Golden Sun
NES Remix

Shet I had a lot of coins.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
kek <---
kek
kek

Persona 4: Dancing All Night is one of those things that I won't complain about, but always question why we have suddenly gotten a rhythm game based on Persona 4.

Like, I do like Persona 4's soundtrack, and the game's visuals are really nice as usual... but why, other than the "oh it's Persona 4 people will buy it"?
I'm glad P4 is finally coming to an end.

I have a dislike of personal 4 that has long since surpassed rational.

I'm glad P4DAN exists because it's been an endless source of mockery and humor for me on various boards.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Well, with Persona 4 ending it's reign, we've got 5 coming up.

Let's just hope that with that line of games, we end up getting a Persona 5 Arena.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
P4 really needs to end. I enjoyed P4, but the constant spinoffs has made me sick of both P4's cast and P3's cast. So happy P5 is going to start fresh, it seems.
And jesus, don't even get me ****ing started on Marie.

That being said, it also gave me my favorite reaction gif, so...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok I need some help real quick. Trying to replace Dark Toon Link's model with a Dark Outset Toon Link model (csp is already replaced) but it isn't working. I know the costume number is 06 and I know the files are written correctly (FitToonLink06.pac (and of course .pcs) but for some reason his in game model refuses to change to the new model and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Help please. What am I doing wrong?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well, with Purse Owner 4 ending it's reign, we've got 5 coming up.

Let's just hope that with that line of games, we end up getting a Persona 5 Arena.
So far I'm excited for P5 because there doesnt seem to be a social link in sight.

Social links are the worst and FE:Fates is seriously turning into Persona 4 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
So far I'm excited for P5 because there doesnt seem to be a social link in sight.

Social links are the worst and FE:Fates is seriously turning into Persona 4 2: Electric Boogaloo.
I'm actually liking FE: Fates, though I can understand the dislike of supports bogging down the entire experience. There's some really good ones, but there's others that are rather... ehh.

At least the gameplay is a step up, especially with Nohr, and the character designs are good for the most part.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
Supports have routinely been one of the better aspects of FE. My issue with Fates is a few character designs(Camilla, srsly) and the My Castle stuff, but that section's optional.

Also, P5 will have S. Links. It's called "Cooperation" or something in the japanese menus(which is all we've seen so far).

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
something I'm surprised nobody noticed here: weird PS transformations ruined both of the final moments in each of plup's losing sets

(although that last one with mango was also kinda plup's fault for a weird edgeguard to begin with, idk)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm actually liking FE: Fates, though I can understand the dislike of supports bogging down the entire experience. There's some really good ones, but there's others that are rather... ehh.

At least the gameplay is a step up, especially with Nohr, and the character designs are good for the most part.
The Amie system nonsense is pushing me over the edge. Ofc NoA is gonna censor the **** out of it (which annoys me on its own merits). But the concept is just beyond me. The My Castle thing I'm not really liking either.

Second Seal nonsense and Eugenics nonsense turned FE:A from a Tactical RPG into a normal JRPG. I was already bothered by the lack of a magic RPS.

Fates new no-durability; but trade off thing is...well...a thing but I cant say I'm hopeful based on the changes I've seen so far. They're taking a simplistic system and then making it a whole lot more nuanced and complicated which opens the floodgates to balance concerns.

Supports have routinely been one of the better aspects of FE. My issue with Fates is a few character designs(Camilla, srsly) and the My Castle stuff, but that section's optional.

Also, P5 will have S. Links. It's called "Cooperation" or something in the japanese menus(which is all we've seen so far).
Yeah FE has always has supports, but they've never been so powerful and fundamental as they are in FE:A and will probably be in FE:Fates.

You could get away with ignoring supports in the older FE games and while it would lead to a harder game play experience, they werent mandatory. On top of that, the supports were limited to a few couplings IIRC. Which in its limited availability added some degree of strategy to the game.

In FE:A and more than likely FE:F; they're going to be littered ALL OVER the place which removes the strategy and just gives you free stat boosts and power boosts just because you let your inner fanboy/girl out and ship whoever the hell you wanna ship and receive benefits.

You can't really ignore Eugenics and Supports in FE:A (you can ignore Eugenics with Einherjar at the very least, but only as a skilled player) and I'm almost sure its going to be the same thing with Fates so if you want a reasonable experience, you're going to have to be forced (in a metaphorical sense) to partake in that non-sense.

FE:A I was able to deal with because I used Min-Maxed Einherjar for most of my army but even then I still had some 2nd generation children because of how strong they are. Morgan and Nah specifically lol.

All in all, the issue that I take up most with Fates is the pandering to otaku and fujoshi.

Seeing that pandering in the SMT franchise and now the FE franchise is grating as a JRPG otaku that doesnt indulge like their target audience and was also a fan of said franchises while they were more niche and werent suddenly taken in a brand spanking new series direction.

Last edited:

NW_Gump

Smash Apprentice
My ps4 randomly stopped connecting to the internet. Restored it's default settings, tried setting it up manually, nothin is working. the PS tech support isn't super helpful either, but it looks like my only option now is to call my internet provider and ask them to open some ports or something? I have no idea about any of this stuff.

Helsong

Smash Ace
The Amie system nonsense is pushing me over the edge. Ofc NoA is gonna censor the **** out of it (which annoys me on its own merits). But the concept is just beyond me. The My Castle thing I'm not really liking either.

Second Seal nonsense and Eugenics nonsense turned FE:A from a Tactical RPG into a normal JRPG. I was already bothered by the lack of a magic RPS.

Fates new no-durability; but trade off thing is...well...a thing but I cant say I'm hopeful based on the changes I've seen so far. They're taking a simplistic system and then making it a whole lot more nuanced and complicated which opens the floodgates to balance concerns.

Yeah FE has always has supports, but they've never been so powerful and fundamental as they are in FE:A and will probably be in FE:Fates.

You could get away with ignoring supports in the older FE games and while it would lead to a harder game play experience, they werent mandatory. On top of that, the supports were limited to a few couplings IIRC. Which in its limited availability added some degree of strategy to the game.

In FE:A and more than likely FE:F; they're going to be littered ALL OVER the place which removes the strategy and just gives you free stat boosts and power boosts just because you let your inner fanboy/girl out and ship whoever the hell you wanna ship and receive benefits.

You can't really ignore Eugenics and Supports in FE:A (you can ignore Eugenics with Einherjar at the very least, but only as a skilled player) and I'm almost sure its going to be the same thing with Fates so if you want a reasonable experience, you're going to have to be forced (in a metaphorical sense) to partake in that non-sense.

FE:A I was able to deal with because I used Min-Maxed Einherjar for most of my army but even then I still had some 2nd generation children because of how strong they are. Morgan and Nah specifically lol.

All in all, the issue that I take up most with Fates is the pandering to otaku and fujoshi.

Seeing that pandering in the SMT franchise and now the FE franchise is grating as a JRPG otaku that doesnt indulge like their target audience and was also a fan of said franchises while they were more niche and werent suddenly taken in a brand spanking new series direction.
The Amie thing and My Castle are the same thing. The second seal thing is being toned down heavily as well, it no longer resets your level, iirc. The gameplay changes you've mentioned are part of why I'm looking forward to the game, honestly. Balance concerns or not, it'll make for a fresher experience at least. Even if we've got to play the eugenics game, I think it'll be ok-especially since Nohr sounds like it's going to have some actual difficulty and tactical gameplay.

As for pandering...welcome to modern japanese gaming and anime? It sells. It makes them a boatload of money. Awakening was going to be the last one, and it sold insanely well in comparison to previous FE's. I don't like it, but I'm not going to begrudge IntSys for pursuing what keeps them afloat. I loved PoR and RD, but those didn't sell well, despite being very popular in the west.

Also, what pandering in the SMT franchise? Did you play 4? Have you played the Devil Survivors? Persona isn't SMT, it's never been SMT except as marketing in the west. Don't judge SMT by that barometer, they're pretty separate.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The Amie thing and My Castle are the same thing. The second seal thing is being toned down heavily as well, it no longer resets your level, iirc. The gameplay changes you've mentioned are part of why I'm looking forward to the game, honestly. Balance concerns or not, it'll make for a fresher experience at least. Even if we've got to play the eugenics game, I think it'll be ok-especially since Nohr sounds like it's going to have some actual difficulty and tactical gameplay.

As for pandering...welcome to modern japanese gaming and anime? It sells. It makes them a boatload of money. Awakening was going to be the last one, and it sold insanely well in comparison to previous FE's. I don't like it, but I'm not going to begrudge IntSys for pursuing what keeps them afloat. I loved PoR and RD, but those didn't sell well, despite being very popular in the west.
I can appreciate second seal nerfs. I seperated Amie and My Castle because Amie is its own boat worth of issues imo.

The gameplay changes while fresh, are concerning because they're still more nuanced/complex then simple weapon durability. No matter how fresh something is, if its not solid, it will hamper the gameplay experience.

As for pandering...

Yes Pandering sells. I tolerate it, but it's never welcome when it causes a franchise to drastically shift directions because it usually feels like the game sacrifices defining characteristics to boost its ability to pander. And while I can appreciate streamlining things; its when the wrong things are streamlined or when things aren't properly streamlined. The R&D that goes into pandering also feels like it takes away from R&D that goes into the gameplay itself.

Also, what pandering in the SMT franchise? Did you play 4? Have you played the Devil Survivors? Persona isn't SMT, it's never been SMT except as marketing in the west. Don't judge SMT by that barometer, they're pretty separate.
YHWH pls.

I have DeSu 1 OC (Overlord route is best route; Yatsubro is best Bro and Yuzu/Midori are ****ing wack af.) and DeSu2. I also have Strange Journey and I've even played/owned Demi Kids. I own P3 and P4. I also own SMT4 (dont get me started on 4 tho; i love the game but **** the map system lmfao.) I've played DDS1 and while I havnt played it, I'm still familiar with Nocturne. Soul Hackers is next on my list of games to play, though the game hasnt aged well from what I've read.

I've even put several hours into SMT: Imagine while it was still under Aeria Games (I think that is who managed it in the US?)

I know persona isnt SMT. I know that for sure. But Persona is a spin off of SMT so it is rightly apart of the franchise. To those who arent familiar with mainline, if you mention Shin Megami Tensei, most people will think Persona.

By pandering in SMT I'm talking STRICTLY Persona 3 and 4 becuase right now those 2 games are pretty much what is at the top of the list in popularity and money making for Atlus which is why we got PQ, P4DAN, P4A, P4G, P4 Anime, and so on and so forth. Persona is pretty much the poster child of Atlus.

I'm tired of Persona. I'm tired of social links. I'm tired of Fans screaming for Persona every time Atlus puts out something non-persona on youtube. It grates my nerves.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
I can appreciate second seal nerfs. I seperated Amie and My Castle because Amie is its own boat worth of issues imo.

The gameplay changes while fresh, are concerning because they're still more nuanced/complex then simple weapon durability. No matter how fresh something is, if its not solid, it will hamper the gameplay experience.

As for pandering...

Yes Pandering sells. I tolerate it, but it's never welcome when it causes a franchise to drastically shift directions because it usually feels like the game sacrifices defining characteristics to boost its ability to pander. And while I can appreciate streamlining things; its when the wrong things are streamlined or when things aren't properly streamlined. The R&D that goes into pandering also feels like it takes away from R&D that goes into the gameplay itself.

YHWH pls.

I have DeSu 1 OC (Overlord route is best route; Yatsubro is best Bro and Yuzu/Midori are ****ing wack af.) and DeSu2. I also have Strange Journey and I've even played/owned Demi Kids. I own P3 and P4. I also own SMT4 (dont get me started on 4 tho; i love the game but **** the map system lmfao.) I've played DDS1 and while I havnt played it, I'm still familiar with Nocturne. Soul Hackers is next on my list of games to play, though the game hasnt aged well from what I've read.

I've even put several hours into SMT: Imagine while it was still under Aeria Games (I think that is who managed it in the US?)

I know persona isnt SMT. I know that for sure. But Persona is a spin off of SMT so it is rightly apart of the franchise. To those who arent familiar with mainline, if you mention Shin Megami Tensei, most people will think Persona.

By pandering in SMT I'm talking STRICTLY Persona 3 and 4 becuase right now those 2 games are pretty much what is at the top of the list in popularity and money making for Atlus which is why we got PQ, P4DAN, P4A, P4G, P4 Anime, and so on and so forth. Persona is pretty much the poster child of Atlus.

I'm tired of Persona. I'm tired of social links. I'm tired of Fans screaming for Persona every time Atlus puts out something non-persona on youtube. It grates my nerves.
Ok, so SMT is the current "mainline" of MegaTen. Persona is MegaTen. Persona is not SMT. Not even Atlus considers it part of the SMT franchise, it was originally called Megami Ibunroku: Persona, thus it's a spinoff of MegaTen. In fact, I think not even DDS is considered part of SMT, it's still only MegaTen, and a stand-alone spinoff(despite the Demi-Fiend boss battle). You can't say SMT is pandering to a different audience when the SMT games still possess the same general tone and themes that they always have. Persona is the poster child of Atlus because it sells the best for them. If you don't like Persona, then it sucks, but SMT is still SMT.

I felt that S. Links were some of the best part of P3 and P4, when their actual gameplay was boring and insanely easy. The social sim aspects helped to flesh out otherwise bland characters(although I'd argue a few characters were bland anyway), and a couple packed some very emotional moments into them.

Pandering I think is just part of natural evolution of media, it's just called pandering when the focused demographics shifts from what it was normally to another. There's always going to be a shift back, whether it be by the original series, or a new one coming in and taking the focus of the original demographic. It's bad for the original audience, but the shift wouldn't be happening if the original audience made it worth the developer's time to keep focusing on them. FE was failing, and Awakening worked. The new audience is enough for IntSys to keep making games.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ok, so SMT is the current "mainline" of MegaTen. Persona is MegaTen. Persona is not SMT. Not even Atlus considers it part of the SMT franchise, it was originally called Megami Ibunroku: Persona, thus it's a spinoff of MegaTen. In fact, I think not even DDS is considered part of SMT, it's still only MegaTen, and a stand-alone spinoff(despite the Demi-Fiend boss battle). You can't say SMT is pandering to a different audience when the SMT games still possess the same general tone and themes that they always have. Persona is the poster child of Atlus because it sells the best for them. If you don't like Persona, then it sucks, but SMT is still SMT.

I felt that S. Links were some of the best part of P3 and P4, when their actual gameplay was boring and insanely easy. The social sim aspects helped to flesh out otherwise bland characters(although I'd argue a few characters were bland anyway), and a couple packed some very emotional moments into them.

Pandering I think is just part of natural evolution of media, it's just called pandering when the focused demographics shifts from what it was normally to another. There's always going to be a shift back, whether it be by the original series, or a new one coming in and taking the focus of the original demographic. It's bad for the original audience, but the shift wouldn't be happening if the original audience made it worth the developer's time to keep focusing on them. FE was failing, and Awakening worked. The new audience is enough for IntSys to keep making games.
I mean technicalities considered, Megaten and SMT are seperate.

But brand wise, that's not really the case. They all fall under a single "SMT" umbrella, espeically in the west. Generally speaking when people speak as SMT as a whole, they're going to talk about all the frachises because SMT an MT have had odd naming schemes since the get go. I mean like the 3rd "SMT" game was a spin off iirc, which was the original SMT or some ****.

Megaten itself hasnt been relavent ever since it never got a release past MT2.

DDS is a spin off of SMT, and Persona has always been marketed as SMT westside.

For all intents and purposes, Megaten is defunct and trying to seperate the sub-series (Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, DDS, Persona, SMT) as if its a SMT or MT spinoff is seriously pointless and one could argue grasping at straws.

Even then, MT 1 and 2 have had the same themes and formulas as SMT, so if you set aside naming, MT and SMT are pretty much the same ****. It's like trying to argue NSMB vs 3D Marios.

As for the social link, they were okay in P3, but I think in P4 in combination with P4's story in cast was where I was mostly disappointed.

They werent interesting and felt forced. The minor characters that you had to social link with imo were generally pointless and the dating sim aspect of it (until P4G) was without punishment. It just wasnt my cup of tea.

I really dont have much else to say in regards to pandering. It has its place and I generally am okay with it, as long as its kept reasonable and doesnt go too far off the handle to the point where it feels out of place and now you're pandering just for pandering's sake. I guess moderation is the key?

If it sells it sells, and I just have to accept it; doesnt mean I have to like it or be okay with it. I understand why pandering occurs but I wont stop complaining about it if i dont like it lol.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
Well, of course, I'm not saying you shouldn't complain-it's totally all right to not like something, haha. How else can developers know when they're potentially alienating a part of their audience?

And honestly, I still don't agree with associating Persona with SMT, even if it was marketed that way in the west. It's a pretty limited perspective, especially when you consider these games are primarily targeted towards Japanese audiences. As for MT being defunct..yes, except where the umbrella franchise is collectively referred to as MegaTen anyway. But in the west, it's definitely the case that most people just say it's SMT, even if it's Persona, but that's a fault of old marketing. The latest Persona releases dropped SMT entirely, so that's changing.

I will agree P4's S. Links were pretty..meh in comparison to P3. I think they can be done well, they just need to give more player agency in choice, and make the events of S. Links change interactions between characters outside of them, as opposed to being isolated experiences. I liked that I wasn't forced into relationships, at least.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well, of course, I'm not saying you shouldn't complain-it's totally all right to not like something, haha. How else can developers know when they're potentially alienating a part of their audience?

And honestly, I still don't agree with associating Persona with SMT, even if it was marketed that way in the west. It's a pretty limited perspective, especially when you consider these games are primarily targeted towards Japanese audiences. As for MT being defunct..yes, except where the umbrella franchise is collectively referred to as MegaTen anyway. But in the west, it's definitely the case that most people just say it's SMT, even if it's Persona, but that's a fault of old marketing. The latest Persona releases dropped SMT entirely, so that's changing.

I will agree P4's S. Links were pretty..meh in comparison to P3. I think they can be done well, they just need to give more player agency in choice, and make the events of S. Links change interactions between characters outside of them, as opposed to being isolated experiences. I liked that I wasn't forced into relationships, at least.
Even in Japan, the modern fanbase refers to it as all SMT; at least in my experience from what I've chatted from Japanese people.

MT is defunct so outside of naming technicalies, to Japan its all basically SMT.

Helsong

Smash Ace
None of this would be a problem if you people just supported good western franchises.
They're not much better. Franchises changing who they target towards is just the norm. Western franchises have their share of issues, too, it's just that those issues are more platable to a western audience(which of course they are, given who they're targeted towards).

Even in Japan, the modern fanbase refers to it as all SMT; at least in my experience from what I've chatted from Japanese people.

MT is defunct so outside of naming technicalies, to Japan its all basically SMT.
Huh, I've had the opposite experience, so..who knows, haha. I guess it's really just how things are marketed and how the audience adjusts to it's marketing.

Top Bottom