• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Lizalfos

Smash Master
No, I definitely understand your point. However, I feel like there's not as much depth to the guides available for PM..or perhaps they simply aren't advertised as heavily. Compare to Melee, where guides are written down to framedata and DI possibilities, among other things. I think a central repository for PM knowledge and guides would go a long way towards fixing that gap. Right now though, there are just more resources readily available for Melee.

In addition, since the game's been out longer, you're more likely to find better players are any level of play, meaning you can more readily see your own flaws from what's happened. This is further helped by the general lack of viable characters-you know what each character's options are, and it's easier to remember them all, so you get a better idea of why you lost(poor spacing, lack of good movement, wrong DI, etc). For me at least, I can take this knowledge and better apply it to my PM play.

You can definitely learn this by playing more PM, but in most places, Melee is still a dominant game or at least has players who have been playing longer-and those players are usually the best to learn from, in an environment where they can clearly demonstrate what skills you lack. PM is similar enough to Melee that this is a good learning experience even if you don't play Melee as much.
This so much. People don't understand why Melee's developed meta lets you get to the core of issues you're having.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
@ Player -0 Player -0 I just noticed your sig now contains my Math quote. I'm..flattered, I guess? A piece of my sub-par snark is now preserved. Until you find something else to put in your sig, I suppose.
I haven't even posted on this page yet, or in the last ~3 pages either. How do you knoww

But yeah, just keeping random quotes for ~1-3 weeks then switching them lol. Had Softie's bouncy house one for a while lol. What's an on-par snark like?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
so I decided that if I end up getting a ride to the austin monthly i'm gonna get drunk beforehand and play

it's gonna be great

Helsong

Smash Ace
This so much. People don't understand why Melee's developed meta lets you get to the core of issues you're having.
I agree, you can do this in PM, but it's easier in Melee where there aren't any surprises to be had.

As an aside, I see people talking a lot about "over-reliance on character gimicks" in PM but I don't think that's a fault of the game, it's a fault of the players. I'd imagine the early Melee meta was all about finding some new tech or option your character could use and exploiting that to get a leg up on the competition. Now that the characters have been explored so much, it becomes entirely about player vs player fundamentals. PM's meta just isn't there yet, so you have players relying on their character-specific stuff over fundamentals(not necessarily a bad thing, just a symptom of the state of the meta) and then people start calling it a janky or gimmicky game because they just don't know about it yet. It's like critics expect the game to have a clearly defined meta on par with Melee right out of the gate, disregarding the 13 years of meta development.

I haven't even posted on this page yet, or in the last ~3 pages either. How do you knoww

But yeah, just keeping random quotes for ~1-3 weeks then switching them lol. Had Softie's bouncy house one for a while lol. What's an on-par snark like?
I am all seeing. Also, I read through a few pages of the Tier List thread for lols and saw your sig in there.

So you're saying you just go from sig quote to sig quote? You sig slattern. I thought we had something special.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I am all seeing. Also, I read through a few pages of the Tier List thread for lols and saw your sig in there.

So you're saying you just go from sig quote to sig quote? You sig slattern. I thought we had something special.
I had removed Softie's epic bouncy house adventure a few days before when I saw your quote and it touched me on the inside. Of course we have something special.

@ Player -0 Player -0 Exposed just like at our ****ty HS basement tournament.
You mean when I Roy'd everyone and won?

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Get your apocalyptic future **** outta here. You know Chris is the weak link to put me at your level.

You let everyone else play proactively and then punish, but I ain't taking that **** no more. YOU WILL APROACH ME

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
re: that reddit thread

basically it took playing melee for the op of that thread to find out he was bad

something that would have happened eventually in PM anyway

this is why I agree with most of the "gimmicky movement" changed in 3.5 people are going to find out they're bad sooner rather than later and the entire playerbase is going to be better off because of it

PM players are usually bad and while they might have a more in-depth knowledge of game mechanics they have little knowledge of how to actually play, how the neutral game works, and how to actually win matches by doing the right things rather than just doing the most things
i am a PM player and I am bad
I am very bad
but so is the vast majority of everyone else

SunJester

Smash Ace
One thing Melee has over PM is an extremely developed metagame. However, I would argue this makes PM all the more exciting. Melee isn't going to change, PM will.

I'd really like a website of knowledgeable, well written posts about the metagame of PM. I feel like people like Sethlon, Junebug, Strongbad, Lunchables could make some really great posts and help out a lot of new players. Sethlon's video studies are really great and fascinating, and we need more content like that.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Does anyone else think "cheap" is kind of a stupid term? It doesn't seem to describe game design precisely to me.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I'm going to buy Starcraft 2 after they release the new episode. Then it will be on sale.
I love me some cheap games.

And EZ money from people who play PM with a Brawl mindset, -0.

I hear a lot of people saying SC2 is dead. I'm waiting for the new patch b/c people are saying it is more Brood Warish, which seems to mean less deathball.

What other RTS games are good for competitive. @Odds_ do you recommend command and conquer or anything else?

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Hey guys, remember how pmdt said balancing to fox was a bad idea

yet fox is majorly unchanged in 3.5

I laughed a bit at this today

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
As funny as the music makes this, it's kinda saddening to see Ultra's PS4 port another casualty of the whole release it now, patch it later cycle that AAA publishers have gotten themselves into.

I would bet 700 Monopoly dollars that the port was rushed in time for EVO.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Got a job at a deli. I have no idea what to expect.

What's food service like?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
On the whole Maylay thing.

No matter how hard I try I just can't take Melee seriously. It just feels like a chore to play when I attempt to take it seriously because it just doesn't feel that good to me. Plus I use an entirely different button layout in P:M that the 2 games just don't transfer very well with each other for me.

I also don't need to play Melee to realize I'm bad. I realized I was bad the moment I started competitive Smash (with Brawl, back in 2013) and have largely remained bad (though still a much better improvement from when I started, but still bad bad bad xD).

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
im almost at 3k views, everyone watch my combo vid again

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
On the whole Maylay thing.

No matter how hard I try I just can't take Melee seriously. It just feels like a chore to play when I attempt to take it seriously because it just doesn't feel that good to me. Plus I use an entirely different button layout in P:M that the 2 games just don't transfer very well with each other for me.

I also don't need to play Melee to realize I'm bad. I realized I was bad the moment I started competitive Smash (with Brawl, back in 2013) and have largely remained bad (though still a much better improvement from when I started, but still bad bad bad xD).
People are a catalyst to enjoying mutli-player games. If you haven't grown up with a good friend or someone playing it with you competitively to make the game that much more endearing, let alone right now (whoever the hell you're playing with). Finding my first competitive friend to play often in Falco dittos in 2011 solidified my growth and enjoyment, as well as main to be Falco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJiL5M38Ku0 I was the red one. He was more technical than me beyond being more comfortable on his HDTV. The sad thing is I played him a half year ago after we hadn't played in years and he hasn't grown much although he still plays some at his college, so he couldn't beat me.

Your competitive drive sucks. I've got my own issue pursuing musical instruments with no natural talent to push me, but with Smash I always felt since the 64 friends and family casual days I'm the best (I was kind of prideful/selfish as a kid so that helped me there). I still think you can get good at Smash by just being smart and developing your thinking style and fast decision making, unlike music, and in which case if you don't believe you're smart you got bigger issues. Then there's tech skill, if you're bad at tech skill you need to mention that too. Obviously you have to grind that. I pry need to grind guitar but I need like I mentioned some catalyst (teacher, program).

Lastly I always felt Melee felt bad in a way compared to PM. But SpamArrows a long while ago had a sentence quote I couldn't find that sums up some of what I'd want to say. Where Melee isn't bad to handle, most just can't handle it. I've come to see it feels better in a lot of ways (and conversely so for other things) to PM. But I feel that the most with my main Falco of/c. I've also discovered physic delay implications and so on.

Oh there's also the fact there's a plethora of inspiring Melee play/combo videos to watch

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
why is this stage even legal

never play on YS again

punch TOs IRL that keep it

punch them until they stop
I dunno in this specific example I would blame brawl tether mechanics. Obviously I'd have to test it to be sure, but having seen YS' wall collisions I wasn't surprised at all given that Olimar had started hugging the wall, so I might even hold it against the player before blaming the stage.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Hibike Euphonium is overloading the yuri stock market right now GO GO GO

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
That certainly didn't take long, 5 months after console release we get this.

Adding Johnny and this mysterious new character.

Maybe they will make it just a cheap expansion, or turn the screws and make you pay $40 to full price $60. I'm going to guess the latter because they can.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
So this is obviously hinting at updated Dolpin stuff for PM netplay...which iirc is supposed to coincide with the release of 3.6
Soon?
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Top Bottom