• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

CORY

wut
BRoomer
If it's a multiplayer game, people will try to make it competitive in some way, unless the design of a game is such that it is abhorrent to the competitive mentality.
yeah, i had to break it down for my gf that what the developer (in that case sakurai) intended was irrelevant. if you make the game anything other than "press a button, a random number is generated. highest number wins!", people are going to try to play it competitively.

and some people might still play "literally rng the game" competitively....

Helsong

Smash Ace
yeah, i had to break it down for my gf that what the developer (in that case sakurai) intended was irrelevant. if you make the game anything other than "press a button, a random number is generated. highest number wins!", people are going to try to play it competitively.

and some people might still play "literally rng the game" competitively....
Authorial intent doesn't matter that much. I mean, at the end of the day, games/movies/books/whatever are made so that others can experience them. The creator's intent doesn't matter as much as the experience you have with it.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
Well. that wasn't very fun this time, I was stuck in matchmaking hell for most of that entire hour and only got in like, 4 or 5 matches, although at least I think I'm getting better at the loading screen mini game, where I have to help a ice climbing squid avoid drowning.
Everyone's sitting here deciding the meta with standard weapons, no custom gear, and only having played a maximum of 2 hours. Quick charge for snipers or an actual scope will make them great, damage up will make rollers actual shotguns. Too early to judge it, man.
I don't know about everyone else, but I was just talking about the effectiveness of everything in relation to just this Test and not the full game.
I think it'd be pretty silly to make too many judgments about what the meta of the full game would be like just from this test.
But I can still try and judge how everything is in relation to the test with it's available load-outs and the current skill levels.

Although since you brought it up, this actually reminds me of when people were saying that Agility would be the must have dominant stat of every build in Dark Souls 2 after the network tests.

And I think there was something in the Battlefield 3 demo besides the stretchy soldiers that people thought were saying would be OP/Bad but wasn't as well, but I can't remember what it was, the stretchy limbs were overpowering my mind.

Also I also just spent an hour and a half looking for a good video of a stretchy solider when I still haven't studies ALL WEEK and when I had plans to go out today.
Welp, I guess I should go get ready to go out now, and then just play more Fantasy Life all day instead after I finish getting ready.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Splatoon says that the demo Global trial isn't out yet, w/e, I have Super Metroid, and I'm better at this game than before.
I nearly accomplished this same very thing, but I shinesparked just a bit early.
I was using the shaft like the game intended me to, but I ran out of super missiles to open a door, so this method became easier all of a sudden.

Super Metroid is like Smashbros when it comes to movement techs. Imagine a multiplayer game that lets you move like Super Metroid, and fight in big 2D arenas in CTF modes. Add classes or customization for different attacks or maybe even extra mobility options, and you have the most badass comp game in the world.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Correctly performing a Super Wavedash you make you Shinespark, and give you 5 angles to work with, but maintain the ability to act out of it.

I DID IT HELLYES!

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Currently reading about signal processing, and some of it is really making my head spin. This is just the beginning stuff; and to think I want to be an electrical engineer, too.

Nvm I was just thinking in a dumb way; just takes me a good amount of time to fully comprehend what's going on with this stuff. Very seemingly esoteric concepts at times.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I seriously dont understand why people think every nintendo game with multiplayer can be competitive, melee was an accident just saying
If a game is designed to pit two or more conscious minds against one another with the intent of besting your opponent, then it is competitive by nature. Throwing "competitive" around as if it only signifies top-level mlg-like gameplay and "competition" is a fallacy in itself, just saying.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Authorial intent doesn't matter that much. I mean, at the end of the day, games/movies/books/whatever are made so that others can experience them. The creator's intent doesn't matter as much as the experience you have with it.
The creator's interpretation isn't definitive or automatically better.
tl;dr: Blame 'death of the author' and willful human stupidity.
Found this in the Jojo subreddit. *Dio!Inkling snip* Pretty much how it went down (sometimes.)
Good morning everyone.

Hi~

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
I don't necessarily agree with 'death of the author' though, that implies the creator's intent has no place at all. I think it does matter, since it's always important to view pieces in context. Authorial intent adds context. Viewing something in a vacuum doesn't enlighten us as much as studying something within it's culture/intentions/circumstances.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
In other words, you don't like when the audience is...casul?

Last edited:

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
I forgot to do this earlier in my last post somehow.
Good morning everyone.
Good morning/evening to you too.
What are you studying about signal processing at the moment, and where, online, or in a textbook?

And I'll need to make this quick for now because if I don't leave soon I think I'll fall to the temptations of my 3DS and comfy bed, but my opinion on game competitiveness and creator intent is:

Creator intent isn't insignificant, like @ Helsong Helsong just said it can give a lot of insight and clarification to situations that would be vague in a vacuum, but it's also not a really an important factor unless the creator can impose their interpretation on the players through stuff like patches, and for video games what matters most in a competitive game (at least to me) is how it plays and not if it matches what the creator wanted.

And with that amazingly timed Mask of the Father meme, a non-smash example of a game that I played competitively that was also never designed to be competitive is Dark Souls 1 (and also Demon's Souls, although I never really got to play that.
I really have to rush this so it'll probably be a disservice to Dark 1 and Demon's Souls PvP, but I'll be really really late if I don't finish typing this up soon.
Hidetaka Miyazaki clearly never intended for stuff like toggle escapes and backstab escapes, or even perfect blocks to be in the games, but in the end they made the game much more competitive/skill based/fun, ect.
Splatoon says that the demo Global trial isn't out yet, w/e, I have Super Metroid, and I'm better at this game than before. Super Metroid is like Smashbros when it comes to movement techs. Imagine a multiplayer game that lets you move like Super Metroid, and fight in big 2D arenas in CTF modes. Add classes or customization for different attacks or maybe even extra mobility options, and you have the most badass comp game in the world.
The test-fire (demo) is over, there probably won't be anywhere you can play the game until release now.

And while that's pretty amazing, it would also probably be hell to balance properly if everyone could move like that, and eventually some movement options would just become superior to everything like how apparently Titanfall was just a race to get to the tallest objects and shoot down at people first, I never played it though so I don't know what it's actually like.
Edit:
she showed up
all i can say is

Last edited:

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
alright alright yes any game can be competitive, maybe im just a Nintendo hater surrounded by Nintendo fanboys so i have a hard time seeing the fun in most nintendo games besides smash or pokemon

edit: Also i sort of see splatoon as "We lost PM at apex for a TRAILER of that game..." even though i know thats not entirely true

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
alright alright yes any game can be competitive, maybe im just a Nintendo hater surrounded by Nintendo fanboys so i have a hard time seeing the fun in most nintendo games besides smash or pokemon

edit: Also i sort of see splatoon as "We lost PM at apex for a TRAILER of that game..." even though i know thats not entirely true
I feel like Smash has made me see Nintendo as a corporation that wants my money instead of a whimsical sinless game creation company.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I forgot to do this earlier in my last post somehow.

Good morning/evening to you too.
What are you studying about signal processing at the moment, and where, online, or in a textbook?
Reading a series of articles about it for synth/sound design purposes.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
so I slept a thousand years and then woke up to zero going in on ssb4 players

There was a problem fetching the tweet

(there's a lot of other fantastic tweets but they contain RUDE WORDS so just look at his twitter for them)

good on him, tbh. don't get mad at other scenes for doing the stuff you're too lazy to do, zero's basically been holding up the fort all on his own with his videos

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
my first kiss was an accidental french kiss session that lasted 5 minutes
of ****ing course it went well

CORY

wut
BRoomer
my first kiss was an accidental french kiss session that lasted 5 minutes
of ****ing course it went well
how the **** do you accidentally french kiss?

"man, that shake was delicious!"
"let me try some!"
"well, it's gone, hence the 'was'."
"bet there's still some flavor in your mouth!"

really, though? how does that even happen?

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus

"let me try some!"

>be me
>never kissed a girl before
>girl puts her lips on mine
>i like food, i like seeing how things taste
>i instinctively try to stick my tongue in her mouth without thinking about it
>realize ive done wrong
>shes ok with it
>5 minutes pass
ta dahhh

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

"let me try some!"
you start kissing, don't know what you're doing and accidentally stick ur tongue in her mouth

it's easier to do than it sounds you can get caught up in the moment trust me I was a sophomore in highschool once too

(sorry to break it to yo walrus but if she had any experience she probably thought you were bad or she just doesn't have enough experience to know you were, it's ok, it's like all fighting games, you'll get better the more you play)

edit: ninja'd by the man himself

Last edited:

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
you start kissing, don't know what you're doing and accidentally stick ur tongue in her mouth

it's easier to do than it sounds you can get caught up in the moment trust me I was a sophomore in highschool once too

(sorry to break it to yo walrus but if she had any experience she probably thought you were bad or she just doesn't have enough experience to know you were, it's ok, it's like all fighting games, you'll get better the more you play)

edit: ninja'd by the man himself
she also had no idea what she was doing
it was funny

Helsong

Smash Ace
French kisses are da bess. But if you don't know what you're doing, it can sometimes not go so well. It's just a long learning process that also happens to be a ton of fun.

Anyone here know their wine? I'm going to a wine-tasting thing because I'm a classy as **** adult and I have no idea when it comes to wine, to be honest, beyond there being red wine and white wine..and apparently there's different kinds of each.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
French kisses are da bess. But if you don't know what you're doing, it can sometimes not go so well. It's just a long learning process that also happens to be a ton of fun.

Anyone here know their wine? I'm going to a wine-tasting thing because I'm a classy as **** adult and I have no idea when it comes to wine, to be honest, beyond there being red wine and white wine..and apparently there's different kinds of each.
franzia sucks

except rose blush that ones alright

CORY

wut
BRoomer
>be me
>never kissed a girl before
>girl puts her lips on mine
>i like food, i like seeing how things taste
>i instinctively try to stick my tongue in her mouth without thinking about it
>realize ive done wrong
>shes ok with it
>5 minutes pass
ta dahhh
you're silly.

grats, tho.

Vashimus

Smash Master
My coworkers asked me if I hated them because I'm very quiet compared to the rest of them. One of them joked I might shoot the place up.

For ****'s sake, I'll only speak if I have something meaningful and worthwhile to say. Anybody else feel like this sometimes? I'm not gonna BS small talk simply for the sake of it because it's boring as hell.

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but man, if the PMDT actually decide to add any more characters, I really, really hope that none would be Ridley.

Playable characters should be, y'know, characters, and not grotesque monsters with seemingly no personality, soulless eyes, and no varying expressions.

Ridley would be such a misfit to the rest of the cast who either display emotion, have personality, are charming, or are at least humanoid.
I feel like it would wreck the integrity of the roster in that regard.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
My coworkers asked me if I hated them because I'm very quiet compared to the rest of them. One of them joked I might shoot the place up.

For ****'s sake, I'll only speak if I have something meaningful and worthwhile to say. Anybody else feel like this sometimes? I'm not gonna BS small talk simply for the sake of it because it's boring as hell.
That's how I am at school; some people just don't get that, for whatever reason.

A teacher of mine told me that it hurts his feelings when I don't say hi to him in the hallway. Idk I'm just not the type to initiate that stuff.

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
That's how I am at school; some people just don't get that, for whatever reason.

A teacher of mine told me that it hurts his feelings when I don't say hi to him in the hallway. Idk I'm just not the type to initiate that stuff.
mmmm i uste be this way untill i realized its really not hard to smile at someone whos trying to be friendly at the very least, it does hurt when someone you see as a friend or whatever doesent acknowledge you even exist, your teacher is probably just worried that youre depressed or some **** like that lol

also being social is just fun, you dont need to have anything meaningful to say, why do you think someone created this thread to begin with?

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

That's pretty much me when it comes to job settings as well. I like to keep to myself from time to time during break hours and what not unless someone brings up certain conversations then I'll chat and what not.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
@ Vashimus Vashimus Yup. All too often, talk is cheap.
...However, many people can't deal with silence the way folks like you or I do, so I would say don't hold a beef over it.
It's not a problem!

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
There is nothing grosser than someone wriggling their tongue all inside your mouth when you are trying to kiss like so.

You ask her to please stop that, and she just keeps doing it.

Don't be that guy, learn some technique.

Top Bottom