• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

NW_Gump

Smash Apprentice
Outside of a few Zenokids videos, are there ANY sonic players in 3.5 doing decently? No one really talks about this character and he isn't used much so i'm not familiar with any 3.5 players.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
people on /r/ssbpm getting super-mad at big d

gonna put this as bluntly as possible: if you don't have at least two characters lined up as your mains in project m, it's your fault if you lose to a bad matchup. there's 41 damn characters in this game, all close enough to each other in quality that you'll see all of them pop up eventually, what were you expecting

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

[12:33:32 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I think in optimal play giving her a way to basically infinite tech chase is pretty scary, but no one's applied that in practice so far.
[12:33:46 AM] Umbreon [Max]: its not good tbh
[12:33:52 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i checked it
[12:33:52 AM] Jolteon (Alex): sometimes in some MUs I feel like her pm grab game is better because of non sticky techs
[12:34:28 AM] Jolteon (Alex): it doesnt really feel that hard to me, pal reactionary tech chasing is like 20x harder. the issue is converting to death consistently instead of like 40+
[12:34:39 AM] Umbreon [Max]: even if you can tech chase well, and thats a maybe, you always run the risk of losing your pressure and position to disrespect options, its better to just use the throws for position and keep them from playing smash bros with you
[12:35:05 AM] Jolteon (Alex): they can't play smash bros with you if you can cover all their tech options, tho
[12:35:19 AM] Jolteon (Alex): but agreed on losing to disrespect options if you **** up
[12:35:36 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i much prefer to just throw them to the edge and let them DI into my dsmash/fair vs DI away correctly, both put them to the edge and then i get to play sheik_at_the_edge and force my opponent to do something great to get back into the match at a very discounted rate
[12:36:10 AM] Umbreon [Max]: my fav part of bthrow is actually just having 2 downthrows that let me put the opponent into the same bull**** bad positions
[12:38:45 AM] Jolteon (Alex): hmm, personally I prefer to just keep tech chasing. being off stage vs sheik still has inherent counterplay, as opposed to just instantly having 0 options and relying on them to **** up 1 player mode.
[12:38:58 AM] Jolteon (Alex): bthrow is pretty much reverse dthrow yeah, both throws are incredible
[12:41:17 AM] Umbreon [Max]: having the opponent off stage is basically instant powerful advantage, and more importantly its much easier, which is a big deal in a real tournament setting
[12:42:28 AM] Umbreon [Max]: when i go into any competitive thing, i look for a gameplan than has 3 things: 1 it has to be proactive and put pressure on the opponent, 2 it has to be powerful and set up a good win condition thats hard to come back from and 3 it has to be non-situationally easy, so i can get it as often as possible and reliably
[12:42:38 AM] Umbreon [Max]: tech chasing is def the first 2 but its not reliable
[12:51:07 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I agree on it being much easier, I just don't really rule it out as being impossible to do yet.
[12:52:04 AM] Jolteon (Alex): imo you should just strive to optimize your punish game, even if its over huge extended periods of time, I could totally see someone grinding it out for like a few months and hitting it consistently.
[12:52:06 AM] Umbreon [Max]: its obv not impossible, but you have to make a decision on whether its worth it or not, and imo its not worth it to try to be perfect when you can run something easy as **** and still win with a slightly worse margin
[12:52:28 AM] Umbreon [Max]: imo optimizing it means going with whatever your best chance to win is
[12:52:46 AM] Jolteon (Alex): how many times do you kill someone with a single grab though? I feel the margin is quite large.
[12:53:09 AM] Umbreon [Max]: um, i kill most tier 1-1.5 players with 2 conversions on average
[12:53:21 AM] Umbreon [Max]: but thats in part from me being soft in MUs
[12:54:07 AM] Jolteon (Alex): that means you literally need twice as many grabs, thats a lot lol
[12:54:16 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i agree that playing 1 playerm mode and ignoring a MU is very powerful, and we're looking at this in a binary way when a good player would use both
[12:54:20 AM] Umbreon [Max]: this is just for theory sake
[12:54:35 AM] Umbreon [Max]: imo the 10% chance to **** up for another 4% isnt worth it
[12:55:04 AM] Umbreon [Max]: in 14+ years i have literally never seen someone tech chase with a 90% success rate so thats still being generous on my end
[1:02:22 AM | Edited 1:03:03 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I think you'd have to count it over PM's lifespan, until sticky techs are fixed at least. They don't carry momentum in PM, which makes tech rolls a lot easier to read on reaction.
[1:02:41 AM] Jolteon (Alex): And let's be real, how many people push sheik's metagame in PM? It's basically you lmao
[1:03:24 AM] Jolteon (Alex): aso agreed that a good player should do both
[1:06:43 AM] Umbreon [Max]: sheik has a way to cover multiple tech options too, the problem is that in PM a jab reset doesnt necessarily force a get up in that place, so i usually jab twice, also to cover SDI, but then you miss the window for a clean boostgrab on tech away, and you also have a problem where you get locked into jabs facing the wrong way if they roll behind you
[1:07:09 AM] Umbreon [Max]: the latter actually ****s me up quite a bit and i hate it, i do jab jab and hold back expecting ftilt behind me and i get stuck doing rapid A
[1:07:16 AM] Jolteon (Alex): dont jab reset, its bad
[1:07:26 AM] Jolteon (Alex): you can option select both getup options with shield grab, and boost grab rolls away
[1:07:34 AM] Jolteon (Alex): there's a timer on the getup so they cant stay down forever
[1:08:12 AM] Umbreon [Max]: sheiks jab is never the optimal decision but its a good catch-all that eases reaction, again similar to peach FC fair > something, grab or dsmash or something else is probably best but jab lets you continue pressure in a way that makes reaction much more...possible
[1:08:27 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i use possible instead of reliable here because its accurate to designate it so
[1:08:58 AM] Umbreon [Max]: sure but if you buffer shield and they roll away you lose the tech chase
[1:09:57 AM | Edited 1:10:23 AM] Jolteon (Alex): like, dont buffer it, just shieldgrab if you see a standing getup option.
[1:10:16 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I find the standing options are both too ambigious to tell the difference between, but if you dont see them roll you can shield in time
[1:10:37 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i think this conversation needs frame data for tech roll and getup options
[1:10:56 AM] Jolteon (Alex): probably a good idea
[1:11:02 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i can shield but not necessarily also grab
[1:11:10 AM] Umbreon [Max]: while respecting a possible getup
[1:11:33 AM] Umbreon [Max]: probably a good idea
[1:11:38 AM] Umbreon [Max]: lets post it and see what we get
[1:11:51 AM] Jolteon (Alex): it covers both, since if they just do a regular getup you grab anyway
[1:12:23 AM] Jolteon (Alex): i wanna lab it in frame advance tomorrow and see what the windows are like

so yeah, anyone got good frame data on sheiks tech chasing?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You dont have to step back to catch tech roll in, stepping back just covers all options. I just tested in frame advance, you side b the moment they tech in place without stepping back at all they're grabbed on frame 21 when they lose invincibility. If you can do that on tech in place it will definantly cover tech forward or back because of how slow they are. Squirtle cannot act for 27 frames if he misses the tech (counting from when he bounces), and ganon is able to act the moment Squirtle does so. 27 frames is MORE than enough time to step back and see what happens if they dont tech.
It's like you are misunderstanding on purpose. You dwelt on the fact that I was unsure whether or not you had to step back to catch roll in. Fine, you don't, my point still stands because I account for that. 27 frames is not enough time to see what they do and then side-b on reaction, because you can't just wait 27 frames and then side-b if you see they teched. You have to side-b frame 12 at the latest (of them hitting the ground) to catch tech in place. Any later and they can buffer spotdodge/roll out (technically they could frame perfectly input spotdodge/roll a frame earlier without going through shield but that's not reliable). So you have 12 frames once they hit the ground to decide to side-b to catch all their tech options, or decide to WAIT for their missed tech options. 12 frames is not enough time to make that decision. You show me someone who can make a decision based reaction in 12 frames and I will show you a living example of confirmation bias.

The reason reaction based tech chasing works (in theory) with other character's grabs/throws is because they can cover tech in place option with grab. Ganon could too, but not with his side-b grab, unless he has a read on the tech. Since the opponent could just mix-up between tech in place and missed tech, repeated side-bs would be a 50/50 at best. It's not even close to an infinite. More than anything it requires lack of matchup knowledge.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
[12:33:32 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I think in optimal play giving her a way to basically infinite tech chase is pretty scary, but no one's applied that in practice so far.
[12:33:46 AM] Umbreon [Max]: its not good tbh
[12:33:52 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i checked it
[12:33:52 AM] Jolteon (Alex): sometimes in some MUs I feel like her pm grab game is better because of non sticky techs
[12:34:28 AM] Jolteon (Alex): it doesnt really feel that hard to me, pal reactionary tech chasing is like 20x harder. the issue is converting to death consistently instead of like 40+
[12:34:39 AM] Umbreon [Max]: even if you can tech chase well, and thats a maybe, you always run the risk of losing your pressure and position to disrespect options, its better to just use the throws for position and keep them from playing smash bros with you
[12:35:05 AM] Jolteon (Alex): they can't play smash bros with you if you can cover all their tech options, tho
[12:35:19 AM] Jolteon (Alex): but agreed on losing to disrespect options if you **** up
[12:35:36 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i much prefer to just throw them to the edge and let them DI into my dsmash/fair vs DI away correctly, both put them to the edge and then i get to play sheik_at_the_edge and force my opponent to do something great to get back into the match at a very discounted rate
[12:36:10 AM] Umbreon [Max]: my fav part of bthrow is actually just having 2 downthrows that let me put the opponent into the same bull**** bad positions
[12:38:45 AM] Jolteon (Alex): hmm, personally I prefer to just keep tech chasing. being off stage vs sheik still has inherent counterplay, as opposed to just instantly having 0 options and relying on them to **** up 1 player mode.
[12:38:58 AM] Jolteon (Alex): bthrow is pretty much reverse dthrow yeah, both throws are incredible
[12:41:17 AM] Umbreon [Max]: having the opponent off stage is basically instant powerful advantage, and more importantly its much easier, which is a big deal in a real tournament setting
[12:42:28 AM] Umbreon [Max]: when i go into any competitive thing, i look for a gameplan than has 3 things: 1 it has to be proactive and put pressure on the opponent, 2 it has to be powerful and set up a good win condition thats hard to come back from and 3 it has to be non-situationally easy, so i can get it as often as possible and reliably
[12:42:38 AM] Umbreon [Max]: tech chasing is def the first 2 but its not reliable
[12:51:07 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I agree on it being much easier, I just don't really rule it out as being impossible to do yet.
[12:52:04 AM] Jolteon (Alex): imo you should just strive to optimize your punish game, even if its over huge extended periods of time, I could totally see someone grinding it out for like a few months and hitting it consistently.
[12:52:06 AM] Umbreon [Max]: its obv not impossible, but you have to make a decision on whether its worth it or not, and imo its not worth it to try to be perfect when you can run something easy as **** and still win with a slightly worse margin
[12:52:28 AM] Umbreon [Max]: imo optimizing it means going with whatever your best chance to win is
[12:52:46 AM] Jolteon (Alex): how many times do you kill someone with a single grab though? I feel the margin is quite large.
[12:53:09 AM] Umbreon [Max]: um, i kill most tier 1-1.5 players with 2 conversions on average
[12:53:21 AM] Umbreon [Max]: but thats in part from me being soft in MUs
[12:54:07 AM] Jolteon (Alex): that means you literally need twice as many grabs, thats a lot lol
[12:54:16 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i agree that playing 1 playerm mode and ignoring a MU is very powerful, and we're looking at this in a binary way when a good player would use both
[12:54:20 AM] Umbreon [Max]: this is just for theory sake
[12:54:35 AM] Umbreon [Max]: imo the 10% chance to **** up for another 4% isnt worth it
[12:55:04 AM] Umbreon [Max]: in 14+ years i have literally never seen someone tech chase with a 90% success rate so thats still being generous on my end
[1:02:22 AM | Edited 1:03:03 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I think you'd have to count it over PM's lifespan, until sticky techs are fixed at least. They don't carry momentum in PM, which makes tech rolls a lot easier to read on reaction.
[1:02:41 AM] Jolteon (Alex): And let's be real, how many people push sheik's metagame in PM? It's basically you lmao
[1:03:24 AM] Jolteon (Alex): aso agreed that a good player should do both
[1:06:43 AM] Umbreon [Max]: sheik has a way to cover multiple tech options too, the problem is that in PM a jab reset doesnt necessarily force a get up in that place, so i usually jab twice, also to cover SDI, but then you miss the window for a clean boostgrab on tech away, and you also have a problem where you get locked into jabs facing the wrong way if they roll behind you
[1:07:09 AM] Umbreon [Max]: the latter actually ****s me up quite a bit and i hate it, i do jab jab and hold back expecting ftilt behind me and i get stuck doing rapid A
[1:07:16 AM] Jolteon (Alex): dont jab reset, its bad
[1:07:26 AM] Jolteon (Alex): you can option select both getup options with shield grab, and boost grab rolls away
[1:07:34 AM] Jolteon (Alex): there's a timer on the getup so they cant stay down forever
[1:08:12 AM] Umbreon [Max]: sheiks jab is never the optimal decision but its a good catch-all that eases reaction, again similar to peach FC fair > something, grab or dsmash or something else is probably best but jab lets you continue pressure in a way that makes reaction much more...possible
[1:08:27 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i use possible instead of reliable here because its accurate to designate it so
[1:08:58 AM] Umbreon [Max]: sure but if you buffer shield and they roll away you lose the tech chase
[1:09:57 AM | Edited 1:10:23 AM] Jolteon (Alex): like, dont buffer it, just shieldgrab if you see a standing getup option.
[1:10:16 AM] Jolteon (Alex): I find the standing options are both too ambigious to tell the difference between, but if you dont see them roll you can shield in time
[1:10:37 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i think this conversation needs frame data for tech roll and getup options
[1:10:56 AM] Jolteon (Alex): probably a good idea
[1:11:02 AM] Umbreon [Max]: i can shield but not necessarily also grab
[1:11:10 AM] Umbreon [Max]: while respecting a possible getup
[1:11:33 AM] Umbreon [Max]: probably a good idea
[1:11:38 AM] Umbreon [Max]: lets post it and see what we get
[1:11:51 AM] Jolteon (Alex): it covers both, since if they just do a regular getup you grab anyway
[1:12:23 AM] Jolteon (Alex): i wanna lab it in frame advance tomorrow and see what the windows are like

Did somebody say frame data
worth the (potential) double post infraction for frame data

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I was once testing zards dthrow(I think this was like..2.1 or 2.5? idk) with my roommate. I could on reaction every time 0-death him with a grab by just dthrow techchasing. I mentioned this in the PMBR and was told by someone that I couldn't possibly be reacting that fast to certain options(like get-up attack vs straight get-up), yet I could do it over and over to my roommate. I eventually tried this on someone else and discovered while I could get many tech chases, I could not 0-death other people. I was biased because apparently I had absurdly hard reads on my roommate lmfao and this skewed my playtesting. Throw still got more endlag added IIRC though :3.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Holy crap you guys none of this feels real. I want to reply more specifically to everything but my phone sucks too hard. Will answer q's about matchups, maps, etc when I'm home. Thank all of you so much for all the love.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Guess Im kinda sad that I missed everything

Going to wait for the uploads

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
Outside of a few Zenokids videos, are there ANY sonic players in 3.5 doing decently? No one really talks about this character and he isn't used much so i'm not familiar with any 3.5 players.
>Not watching N810

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It's like you are misunderstanding on purpose. You dwelt on the fact that I was unsure whether or not you had to step back to catch roll in. Fine, you don't, my point still stands because I account for that. 27 frames is not enough time to see what they do and then side-b on reaction, because you can't just wait 27 frames and then side-b if you see they teched. You have to side-b frame 12 at the latest (of them hitting the ground) to catch tech in place. Any later and they can buffer spotdodge/roll out (technically they could frame perfectly input spotdodge/roll a frame earlier without going through shield but that's not reliable). So you have 12 frames once they hit the ground to decide to side-b to catch all their tech options, or decide to WAIT for their missed tech options. 12 frames is not enough time to make that decision. You show me someone who can make a decision based reaction in 12 frames and I will show you a living example of confirmation bias.

The reason reaction based tech chasing works (in theory) with other character's grabs/throws is because they can cover tech in place option with grab. Ganon could too, but not with his side-b grab, unless he has a read on the tech. Since the opponent could just mix-up between tech in place and missed tech, repeated side-bs would be a 50/50 at best. It's not even close to an infinite. More than anything it requires lack of matchup knowledge.
No I didnt. I simply stated that you dont have to walk back to catch them, just that it covers all options. Then I explained how you dont have to react in 12 frames, because either A: Side b the moment they tech which will grab them because squirtle wont roll through ganon/cover enough distance to get away/be out of the ending of standing tech, or B: they miss/ do not tech and you have 27 frames before squirtle can do anything(roll left/right/stand/getup attack) after which you side b again

Edit : You prolly aren't gonna agree no matter what, so how about instead we just meet at ltc3 and i'll side b you for an hour while you try in vain to get out.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
No I didnt. I simply stated that you dont have to walk back to catch them, just that it covers all options. Then I explained how you dont have to react in 12 frames, because either A: Side b the moment they tech which will grab them because squirtle wont roll through ganon/cover enough distance to get away/be out of the ending of standing tech, or B: they miss/ do not tech and you have 27 frames before squirtle can do anything(roll left/right/stand/getup attack) after which you side b again

Edit : You prolly aren't gonna agree no matter what, so how about instead we just meet at ltc3 and i'll side b you for an hour while you try in vain to get out.
How do you stop yourself from side-bing in 12 frames? That's the only way you can beat tech in place spotdodge, is by side-bing frame 12 (or earlier). In order to wait for missed tech, you have to STOP yourself from side-bing in those 12 frames. That is, in fact, a reaction, either way you put it. Either you choose to react in those 12 frames to beat tech in place->spot dodge, or you side-b every time, except when you choose to stop yourself so you can wait on the missed tech. Yes, plateprop, it is a 12 frame reaction time that you'd require, which is only possible when there is no decision to make, IE you react with one particular thing to one particular stimuli, which is not the case here. As much as I wish I could go to LTC3 I probably won't be able to (work is always a *****) but if I did I'd just mix up tech in place ->roll/spotdodge and missed tech->get-up and you'd get a side-b infinite half the time or less.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I hate to say this but I knew Odds wasn't going to win. There was another man who was in a match Sunday that has a knack for being an odds magnet and overcoming them.

1430103809711.gif

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Commentators literally say that about everyone in the top 10% of bracket tho
Like my aftershock matches, they were like "The guy who was predicted to maybe even possibly win ALL of aftershock!!!1!one"

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
The commentators were saying that he was looking very strong though. Gotta give him some props for that.
How strong did he look? Did he look very VERY strong?

Commentators literally say that about everyone in the top 10% of bracket tho
Like my aftershock matches, they were like "The guy who was predicted to maybe even possibly win ALL of aftershock!!!1!one"
You got a future in the business.

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
tfw you want to catch up on your first really good fanfic but you learn the author died over a year ago

Hope there is something I haven't read yet, though either way RIP

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
By playing the same character and having the same character in your avatar, you're just adding fuel to the fire of your rumored incest, @ PootisKonga PootisKonga and @ Kushina43 Kushina43 . It will be cemented when Kushina starts comparing about Fox's shine.

Your route(s) in the PMS dating sim is bound to be interesting.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Isn't converting to sheik_on_the_ledge optimal against any character who's tech roll isn't godawful? I'm kinda sure that spacies can spotdodge and Shiek has to play the d-smash mixup game. Unless -0 lied to me again.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood

The way I realized Plateprop's post was that Ganon could cover all options.

you dont have to react in 12 frames, because either A: Side b the moment they tech which will grab them because squirtle wont roll through ganon/cover enough distance to get away/be out of the ending of standing tech, or B: they miss/ do not tech and you have 27 frames before squirtle can do anything(roll left/right/stand/getup attack) after which you side b again
If I'm reading this correctly Squirtle's tech rolls are so bad that a correctly timed and spaced side-b will cover all the techs. Sounds super dumb tho.

steelguttey

mei is bei
so the olimar wish list thread has become the olimar gd

i think that says alot about oli players

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
How do you stop yourself from side-bing in 12 frames? That's the only way you can beat tech in place spotdodge, is by side-bing frame 12 (or earlier). In order to wait for missed tech, you have to STOP yourself from side-bing in those 12 frames. That is, in fact, a reaction, either way you put it. Either you choose to react in those 12 frames to beat tech in place->spot dodge, or you side-b every time, except when you choose to stop yourself so you can wait on the missed tech. Yes, plateprop, it is a 12 frame reaction time that you'd require, which is only possible when there is no decision to make, IE you react with one particular thing to one particular stimuli, which is not the case here. As much as I wish I could go to LTC3 I probably won't be able to (work is always a *****) but if I did I'd just mix up tech in place ->roll/spotdodge and missed tech->get-up and you'd get a side-b infinite half the time or less.
Because you wait until they hit the ground, Ganon cant even act again UNTIL squirtle hits the ground. Teching and hitting the ground without tech are visually AND audibly distinct from one another and you can tell when either happens. You keep ignoring me saying that it depends on what they do when they hit the ground, and acting like it's some impossibly fast timing. This is the THIRD time i've told you: Side b the moment they tech, you WILL get the flame choke. All of Squirtle's tech options have too little invincibility to escape this. If they do not tech (which if you cant tell the difference you should stop playing this game competitively), you have 27 frames before squirtle can act, which is more than enough time to wait outside of getup attack range, and prepare for another side b.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Holy crap you guys none of this feels real. I want to reply more specifically to everything but my phone sucks too hard. Will answer q's about matchups, maps, etc when I'm home. Thank all of you so much for all the love.
bruh, that cucumber, tho...

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If you have brothers who are extreme, don't oversleep.

you might get dropkicked.

Now i've got to go dropkick someone, wish me luck.

steelguttey

mei is bei
so i picked up shiek as a secondary for the marth and ivy matchup

i absolutely cant deal with those characters anymore and shiek is ****ing easy in this game so whatever

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
The more I think about it, the better the idea of carrying a cucumber around and eating it during a tourney sounds. Decently filling, help with hydration, you can start goofy convos with it...

I already tend bring almonds and ask if people want to eat my nuts,, may as well go all in and bring a cucumber, too.

Top Bottom