• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Shipping during Season 1 and 2, yeah if you saw that coming it was wish fulfillment. Season 3 and beyond, if these former rivals can become the best of friends, a change in their relationship, then I don't see why their bond becoming romantic (when Asami was Korra's nurse for one thing) is so inconceivable. When Asami told Korra she would do anything for her when she was recovering, she meant anything.

It's a kid's cartoon, that's why they weren't making out. If they put a gay relationship on children's tv without any passion to it because of homophobic censoring, you guys would say it didn't feel like they were really together and how horrible it was portrayed. Sort of like now but instead the relationship itself being completely botched.

In our society everything needs to be coded for the children, because they/parents can't handle this apparently. I don't see why this is still impossible to grasp.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I have no stake in this discussion, never watched the show but have heard both sides of the arguments before. I can't comment on which side I feel is more accurate on the particular issue for obvious reasons. But-

But nobody ever says "Hey the Varrick thing was heavyhanded and makes no sense" because it doesn't fall under the homophobic umbrella.
Any side of the argument that immediately needs to play out blanket generalizations cards like these and accuse one of being any sort of their perspective of a "bigot" because they were not satisfied with the creative direction the show took is a side I am generally more skeptical of, and often times harder to seriously be inclined to listen to their plea.

Disclaimer: from my experience, around those that talked about the show openly, I don't know anyone that wasn't "homophobic" that still even liked the supposed ending. So I'm not inclined to believe a large portion of the anger of those heavily invested in the series has much to do with any sort of these biases in the arguments surrounding sexual orientation. I could be wrong, but I personally do not see it.

With that said:

It doesn't matter what your beliefs are, it was blindsiding heavyhanded political commentary and it made everything go out with a bang of WEIRD.

I read both creator's interviews on the decision and the vibe I got was that they cared more about that particular social-issue than the integrity of their craft. So to that I say **** em, that should be considered low no matter what part of spectrum you hang out in.
I can see how, in your words, "hamfisted" political commentary can be bothersome. Not many like politics in their creative works: makes things unnecessarily awkward, unnecessarily divides people, and one could argue gives undeserved recognition/controversy to the issue. In my experience, many critics will shamelessly praise a certain creative work more for it's politics then it's actual merit, which is something I take a huge issue with.

However a claim that something, allegedly, "came out of nowhere" is a claim that still needs substantiated evidence to support it, but I rarely see it in these discussions. I guess I wouldn't understand, since I don't watch the show, but what exactly about it that felt out of nowhere? Creative works have "twists" all the time, but what about this one that made it so egregious? And since many creative works have "twists", is it even a bad thing that it was unexpected by many? After all, many value when a creative endeavor throws a curveball at you that many didn't see. It's actually a common criticism when a show is too predictable in it's delivery. Admittedly it wouldn't be a surprise to me since relationships in various media forms (especially movies, tv shows and videos) are often generally really bad regardless (and it's why I hate all romance in stories now) but I still feel that this claim needs to be elaborated more on and why this particular curveball wasn't a positive for the show. Otherwise, you will get perusers who will just assume you have some sort of bias or "bigotry" that's the reason for your dislike.

I know many are probably going to be upset that I butted my head in an issue that I am ignorant on (The Legend of Korra), so I will explain myself:

Simply put, I'd rather see actual discussion then just presumptuous buzzwords being thrown around. I know where these discussions often head to (especially those politically motivated) and it would be a bore to read if it turned out that way.

Otherwise, I apologize for the somewhat-rude intrusion.

B.W.

Smash Champion
If Korra and Asami interacted more in season 3/4 then it probably would have caught on a lot better. Even when I rewatched the series (because while people talk a lot of crap about Korra I really did enjoy the show as a whole) I really didn't see anything that would make me believe, even just a little, that Korra and Asami's relationship would become a romantic relationship until the very end.

I don't expect them to make out on a children's TV network, but they literally could have thrown us anything more than what they did. Even something like Korra/Asami has a hard time talking to the other after a certain point because at least one of them wants a relationship. They never gave us that feeling that there was more than friendship between them.

Is it "impossible" to grasp? No. But because it wasn't fed to us, it felt like it was just kind of shoved in just because.

Honestly to me it felt more like fan service than anything.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
ANYWAYS

Since I just finished doing 100 matches with Ganon, I got curious of something.

How many matches do you guys usually play in a single day or session with one character? If you keep track, I mean

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Should've known that shift in topics wouldn't work. - -

Whatever. I'm gonna play more Ganon and watch Shantae shake her wishmakers til this rolls over.

Bleck

Smash Master
your stance here seems to be that "people acting like real people isn't good writing" and like your opinion is just, like, your opinion, man, but as a writer I have to disagree

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
So, we gon' meet up at Evo? I'd love to play a few matches with my fellow PMS Cancer-circulators. :3

Edit: We can set up a mini-venue in the BYOC room right? I know there's the Nintendo sponsorship and all, but that won't keep us down if my hopeful wishes are correct.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Today the Internet tried to convince me that binary biological sex isn't a real thing. I really hope that the people arguing such we trying to be satirical of what they perceive as SJWs or whatever, because I'd like to think that most people who fight for social change are planted firmly in reality.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Zynux is pretty based.

I'd say he's my new husbando, but since I enjoy his posts for more than just humor, I'll just say he's a well spoken individual.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
since we're kind of on the subject, check out this science vid that turned me on so much I had to immediately fap afterwards.

This is how lonely and virile I am.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Zynux is pretty based.

I'd say he's my new husbando, but since I enjoy his posts for more than just humor, I'll just say he's a well spoken individual.
It would help to know what you are actually talking about though ie what people are comparing and talking about in a television show that you have never watched in your life.

I think it is generally a bad instinct to want to correct people on both sides of an issue when you are admittedly clueless about it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
your stance here seems to be that "people acting like real people isn't good writing" and like your opinion is just, like, your opinion, man, but as a writer I have to disagree
People acting like real people is fine. But viewers can't be expected to know something like "character A has romantic feelings for character B" (no matter what their sexual orientation) if they haven't actually been given some form of real information that's distinguishable from them just being friends.

Even using real life as an example, if you see two people that you don't know personally, but you know of them (will refer them as person A and person B), hanging out and Person A likes Person B, but is good at acting natural despite said feelings, then not even Person B is going to know about it, and they were involved in the first place.

Things like this happen in real life all the time and a lot of times it ends up with the people who are on the outside of their circle going "No, way. I didn't expect that." if/when they do get together because we didn't see it. We don't know Korra or Asami on a personal level, we only know what we've been told or shown, subtle or not.

And I never really called it "bad writing." I don't know if I would call it bad writing. Characters should be believable, and they did a great job in making their cast believable for sure. Especially with the events happening directly after Season 3 going into Season 4 (that I won't say in case people haven't seen it).

But I still wouldn't say that they did a good job in making that ending not look like some random as **** fan service due to the lack of foreshadowing/way too subtle foreshadowing.

SunJester

Smash Ace

r/smashbros so on point lately.

Also regarding Korra, I really like Asami and Korra's relationship. I found it to be the most subtle and genuine in a series known for terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE relationships. I love the last airbender, but everything sokka is involved with (romantically) happens in the span of 2 minutes. Korra and Asami felt genuine.

And for whatever its worth, as someone who falls out of the normal "sexuality binary" I loved the idea that Korra and Asami's relationship wasn't met with huge fanfare and was underplayed. It was so nice to see a character that was bisexual, who isn't defined by that bisexuality. It means a lot.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
nobody saw dad x pizza coming

except the pizza ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
...I have a very specific YouTube video for this, especially since you're a turtle, but I'm not sure if I can post it without getting infracted or not. XD

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Screenshot_2015-03-06-01-37-24~2~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-06-01-37-24~3~2.jpg

oh my

...I have a very specific YouTube video for this, especially since you're a turtle, but I'm not sure if I can post it without getting infracted or not. XD
dammit I know exactly what you're talking about lmao

Last edited:

NTG

Smash Cadet
Today the Internet tried to convince me that binary biological sex isn't a real thing. I really hope that the people arguing such we trying to be satirical of what they perceive as SJWs or whatever, because I'd like to think that most people who fight for social change are planted firmly in reality.
I mean, it isn't. Look up intersex.

That said, they were probably confusing gender and biological sex due to being morons but w/e

SunJester

Smash Ace
Pretty sure PM would be the car and VGBC/APEX would be Taylor Swift in this video...
If we consider the original song's context being a satire of Taylor Swift's relationships, we can take this as a satire of how people perceived PM to be "destroying" VGBC by unsubbing, and ruining Apex by dividing the community, it becomes highly amusing to me. Basically I took it as a satire of the idea that PM is the "crazy ex-girlfriend" of the smash community.

But explaining the joke kinda ruins it.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Late night tips with SpiderMad:

If your bookmarks are getting clustered and unorganized, make an "Important" folder and be sure to save everything to that.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
200 matches. Woohoo~

Gonna pass out asleep now. <3

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Late night tips with SpiderMad:

If your bookmarks are getting clustered and unorganized, make an "Important" folder and be sure to save everything to that.
And thus make the Important folder clustered and unorganized ? Sounds like the story of my life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom