• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Isn't Marth a 'guy'?
Yes, unless you're talking about Lucina.

WHICH REMINDS ME:
Awakening Spotpass Team: Prince Marth DLC/Prince Marth/King Marth/Lucina. IT'S A MARTH PARADE.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
You're sure we're not talking about the same woman?

[collapse=Voted best-dressed in the Celcia 2013 'Winter apparel' segment.]
[/collapse]

Please don't tell me that we're both watching this on Netflix right now.
Table flip.jpg

How'd you know that I was?!

I do like how Marth looks there. I wonder if there'll be something like for an alt costume.

SunJester

Smash Ace
There are so many diverse and interesting characters from all the games that Nintendo has created that have appeared in Brawl. They could have interesting and unique movesets, they could bring light to characters that haven't had much limelight, they could really expand out there and really create something special. Something that people will enjoy, something that will turn heads, something that is completely created by an amazing team of artists and playtesters.

And people want Pichu.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Everytime I read your name, I think of Dark Magician Girl rather than Damage or any other acronym. And then I realize you're a guy. Weird stuff
The acronym is much better than what it actually stands for. That's not important right now

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
There are so many diverse and interesting characters from all the games that Nintendo has created that have appeared in Brawl. They could have interesting and unique movesets, they could bring light to characters that haven't had much limelight, they could really expand out there and really create something special. Something that people will enjoy, something that will turn heads, something that is completely created by an amazing team of artists and playtesters.

And people want Pichu.
Well, the argument for Pichu basically centers around the fact that he is a Melee veteran with a unique moveset and skills that can be further developed in P:M. iirc he has the strongest u-smash in the game, and is (possibly, not sure) as fast or faster than Fox. His cons are that he is one of the most lightweight characters and that he hurts himself with every electricity based attack. He is not a Pikachu skin nor have any of his skills (I believe he had a better up B too) been incorporated into Pikachu. There are 5 slots remaining, if Pichu is added that will leave 4- enough for 4 series to be represented if they wanted to. I think the only series people are asking for that haven't been represented at all in fighters are Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Joy Mech Fight. That leaves a 4th character from any represented series.

But yeah, just my opinion, I don't want to derail the thread with this talk because it easily can. XD I'll just leave it at this, just showing the other side.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well, the argument for Pichu basically centers around the fact that he is a Melee veteran with a unique moveset and skills that can be further developed in P:M. iirc he has the strongest u-smash in the game, and is (possibly, not sure) as fast or faster than Fox.
None of this is true. His Dash is the same as Pikachu's and his run is slower than Pikachu's. His U-Smash is also weaker than Pikachu's.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I mean it's been quite a while since I've played Melee, but I remember Pichu being inferior to Pikachu in just about everything.

But I'm also aware that some of you young-ins might not remember browsing the internet before the release of Melee. Pichu was the biggest let down to ever be included in Smash Bros.

There is literally no character, in the history of Smash bros, that was a worse choice then Pichu. It felt like the most phoned-in inclusion.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think 64 Samus made me cringe a bit, but electrocuting her was awesome

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
None of this is true. His Dash is the same as Pikachu's and his run is slower than Pikachu's. His U-Smash is also weaker than Pikachu's.
I remember reading something about his U smash having one of the best knockbacks. I see about the speed, though. Was his up B better than Pikachu's, though? I seem to remember it felt a lot smoother and faster but it might not be correct.

Yes, I wasn't on the internet before Melee, but that doesn't mean Pichu is a lost cause. What makes him terrible can be tweaked. There are good Pichu players in Melee and that, to me, shows that Pichu is in some way viable.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Then what about Pichu would stick around to keep him unique? Getting hurt by electricity is really the only special thing it has going for it, if that was taken out then what's left to make Pichu, Pichu? Its size? I don't think Pichu's different enough to really warrant getting in. Mario and Doc were close-ish and they got molded together to represent both sides while Toon Link got some Young Link stuff to rep YL. The fact Pikachu has nothing from Pichu just goes to show Pichu's not worth taking anything from which to me makes it seem like there isn't anything special about it.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Agility covered less distance than Quick Attack, on both zip and was a bit slower; and Pikachu holds the title for the strongest Usmash in Melee, I believe. Pichu's only merits over Pikachu were a slightly better grab game and Nair. There's not much that can be done to differentiate Pichu from Pikachu, not to mention that would mean addng a SEVENTH Pokemon to the already expansive cast. Only a fool would genuinely want that character to return.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Then what about Pichu would stick around to keep him unique? Getting hurt by electricity is really the only special thing it has going for it, if that was taken out then what's left to make Pichu, Pichu? Its size? I don't think Pichu's different enough to really warrant getting in. Mario and Doc were close-ish and they got molded together to represent both sides while Toon Link got some Young Link stuff to rep YL. The fact Pikachu has nothing from Pichu just goes to show Pichu's not worth taking anything from which to me makes it seem like there isn't anything special about it.
Pichu was smaller, yes, but since he was apparently a lot slower than I thought, he could be changed to be faster. Someone suggested he would be the model of a high risk/high reward character- lightweight and easy to KO but very fast and a strong attacker.
Agility covered less distance than Quick Attack, on both zip and was a bit slower; and Pikachu holds the title for the strongest Usmash in Melee, I believe. Pichu's only merits over Pikachu were a slightly better grab game and Nair. There's not much that can be done to differentiate Pichu from Pikachu, not to mention that would mean addng a SEVENTH Pokemon to the already expansive cast. Only a fool would genuinely want that character to return.
Pichu could be made faster and have stronger attacks, but keep the self-damaging moves and being lightweight to balance it out (like the high risk high reward I mentioned above). The Pokemon saturation is a legitimate concern, though.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Can Snake hold his new taunt and keep smoking?

I want my health to DRAIN. Show my opponent how little I care.

Either way, Snake taunt = best taunt. HYPE.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
In his current Melee abilities, he probably does, but there is a unique character/moveset that can be made from him and that's all I was trying to say. It's pretty obvious by now that the PMBR are geniuses, Pichu has enough potential qualities to be able to be buffed and worked on.

If they're going by popular opinion, though, the chances of that are probably low...

SpiderMad

Smash Master
As much as I'm sick of Pokemon: you can't leave out the very last remaining Melee character. Maybe we can replace Ivy with'em, keeping a Thunderseed/RazorJolt move here n there.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
New Snake Meta: Using Cigs to avoid specific % combo's from his opponent

9Kplus1

Smash Master
The problem lies in Pichu's core playstyle; it's just too similar to Pikachu's, from my observations and experiences. Even if Pichu was granted a unique moveset and was buffed considerably, he'd still revolve around that friendly-pressure playstyle Pikachu commonly uses. Simply put, unlike Roy, Pichu's weaknesses didn't form a playstyle vastly different from this 'clone's'.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
If they don't want to bring him back as a character, they could remake Pokefloats to be stationary on one Pokemon float and have Pichu randomly appear in the background sometimes. (Cheering for the player using a Pokemon?)

@9K- The main difference I think they could implement is a much better pressure game at the cost of high damage/easily KOable. He also has a better grab range and Nair, as you said, so that also counts for something. Pikachu's grab by comparison...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
As much as I'm sick of Pokemon: you can't leave out the very last remaining Melee character.
Why not? Not like anything of value is lost.

Besides, it'd end up being one of two things. It'll either end up still being just a less effective version of Pikachu that no one sane would use seriously, or it'll be Pikachu's Brawl "Toon Link" in the sense that it's like Pikachu, only smaller, possibly faster and better as a character to the point of rendering Pikachu's existence in the game seemingly pointless. Either way, hardly anyone seems to be using Pikachu in P:M in tournaments, streams or in general. Adding Pichu could only either add damage to that or simply join it as another character hardly anyone will play as once the hype of it dies down.

This is why I was thinking that just giving whatever little good traits it has to Pikachu would be more than enough, akin to how Mario and Tink were handled. (+N64 Link for Tink) Although, after what Strong Bad said, I'm starting to think even that wouldn't do much help either. I don't have anything against Pichu at all, but even with all the changes in the world, there's just not much I can see that it really brings other than "Add it back because Melee".

We'd be better off with a completely new character or no more at all and we keep what we have.

Well, that's just what I think, anyway. I've had people ramble on to me again and again as to why they want Pichu or think it's so important, but I just can't see it. *shrugs* Not like it's on the same level as Roy and Mewtwo or anything.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Why not add plusle and minun double pichu?
In a cast of 42-46 characters, I don't see why having 8 pokemon characters instead of 7 from nintendo's biggest franchise is that big of a deal.

I'm gonna keep lobbying for those two until it happens or until all other slots are filled. Not because I'm a huge pokemon fan or anything, or because I like those two in particular (neither of which are even close to true); I just want to see a new take on the ice climbers' concept, and they seem like the best candidates. I'm not sure if they're licensed for Smash Bros though; does anyone know if they have a sticker or trophy? If there's a better, more realistic duo that we know is licensed for smash, sign me up.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I can only assume that something you posted was offensive towards sonic fans, and to be fair sonic fans are more or less their own race of twisted subhuman monsters... so offending sonic fans is in its own special way racist.
:denzel:
Especially if they're the brony types like Espy. :troll:

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom