• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I'm really sorry, but I stopped the moment they mentioned that men are more likely to do hands-on jobs like engineering while women are more people-oriented.

See, if people weren't taught that there are so many innate differences between men and women we'd see a much wider spread. These archaic definitions of what it means to be a man and a woman have been passed down throughout generations as ideas and attitudes to the point that people who aren't consciously aware of it will fall into those definitions solely because they unconsciously believe there is no other option.

Saying the above about job interests proves nothing but how ingrained these roles have become. Unless you look specifically into it, you're unlikely to escape that trap unless you're already a wild card

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
You stopped before they got into the deeper evidence from birth because you didn't like what you heard? Well, can't say I didn't expect it.

As long as you realize you are starting from the point of an ideologue and not looking into things no matter where they go.

Last edited:

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
I'm really sorry, but I stopped the moment they mentioned that men are more likely to do hands-on jobs like engineering while women are more people-oriented.

See, if people weren't taught that there are so many innate differences between men and women we'd see a much wider spread. These archaic definitions of what it means to be a man and a woman have been passed down throughout generations as ideas and attitudes to the point that people who aren't consciously aware of it will fall into those definitions solely because they unconsciously believe there is no other option.

Saying the above about job interests proves nothing but how ingrained these roles have become. Unless you look specifically into it, you're unlikely to escape that trap unless you're already a wild card
I respect that but best you can do is ignore them, i'm 55% sure that the people who say that know what you said is true.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer

I didn't watch the whole video either, but it went on to say how people are predisposed to think a certain way based on their gender from day 1, before being exposed to culture or environment and before those things could possibly affect them. I believe there is an innate difference.

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
It honestly sounds nonsensical to be able to innately have perspective on anything aside from possibly the need to survive before you are born

As long as you realize you are starting from the point of an ideologue and not looking into things no matter where they go.
Me? An ideologue? You must be joking. I may be passionate about what I believe in but I do not forego looking at contrary evidence just because it "offends me." You are lumping me in with the stereotypical SJW. I thought people here were better than that

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I would offer to help, because I actually did okay with those, but I realized I forgot everything 2 days after the semester ended.
Do you remember how it works when adding a third substitute on a benzene already substituted twice

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Ideologues come in all shapes and sizes.

When you start from the position that something feels and sounds true to you in your gut so that is the truth, even if there is a lot of evidence that contradicts your feelings on the matter, then the only thing left is a position based on ideology.

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
You think I don't weigh evidence from every side when I consider my opinions versus fact? Unlike most people, I take the time to find and assess literally everything I can find about what I want to know in all contexts and base opinions off of that. I am ready and willing to do a Heel-Face Turn if the evidence against my position is great enough to invalidate the evidence for it, and as of now I have not been convinced that there are non-superficial differences between the sexes beyond genitals and secondary sex characteristics.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Anybody else use Youtube videos to study? Because goddamn they're a life saver for math courses.
I took Calculus 1 and 2 on Coursera, but I don't think videos really help any more than a textbook.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
We need to solve this dispute with hard science.

Let's get a bunch of babies, a decent sample size, say, a thousand. 50% male, 50% female, with random racial distribution. Then, from birth, we lock them in a room with an androgynous robot that serves no purpose other than teaching the child motor skills and language along with feeding the child.

Along the way, then, we can use various tests to check interests in topics, affinity for certain skills or activities, and more, while maintaining scientific integrity and omitting human bias.

That sounds perfectly sane, practical, and ethical.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Anybody else use Youtube videos to study? Because goddamn they're a life saver for math courses.
One of my friends who understood jack**** from his teachers in calc 1 and 2 used the youtubes to study. Handily passed both courses.

This Guy!

True Metal Warrior
3DS FC
2809-9166-5335
So I'm thinking of working on getting Lucario and put him as my secondary. I know he has a magic series, super moves, and a ASC wall jump, but where exactly should I begin with him? You guys have any experience with him?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
improved.JPG

This makes me so happy
I know its literally just a "you tried" sticker
but It feels good knowing that statistically(placing wise) I've improved the most out of the like 100+ unique entrants to the ASU weeklies this last semester

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
So I'm thinking of working on getting Lucario and put him as my secondary. I know he has a magic series, super moves, and a ASC wall jump, but where exactly should I begin with him? You guys have any experience with him?
Crouch cancel down tilt then just use attack > aura sphere > attack > aura sphere > attack if they shield then just command grab.

**** Lucario

D

Deleted member

It honestly sounds nonsensical to be able to innately have perspective on anything aside from possibly the need to survive before you are born

Me? An ideologue? You must be joking. I may be passionate about what I believe in but I do not forego looking at contrary evidence just because it "offends me." You are lumping me in with the stereotypical SJW. I thought people here were better than that
where have you been all my life

don't ruin this moment by saying a real location

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I've watched the whole video now, and I see where you're coming from. Hormones do cause differences in the brain and body, that much I knew.

But I'm still not convinced of implicit, unchanging differences between sexes.

How is this supposed wiring the major reason for choices of careers in the future? I understand the trend with newborns and infants: they are ran mostly by their hormones and instincts since their brains lack development. But once they get to a certain age they should be taught all of the options available and that no single area of interest is all they can do. They have to experience as much as they can before deciding on something they want to do. Just because an area is considered equal doesn't mean that gender roles and customs don't exist, and the wide spread is due to similarities in these roles across cultures

I went from dreams of being a paleontologist to marine biologist to computer programmer to writer, all because I had the experiences from each and made decisions based on them as I matured. I could have easily decided to want to be a nurse or vet or some other stereotypical feminine occupation (Is writing stereotypically feminine?). I could also have decided to pursue science, a field that is largely regarded as masculine. I chose to follow my own path, whether it deviated or not from the norm not being my problem. Saying these differences are, for the most part, hard and fast as you have alluded to would invalidate or single out as unusual pretty much anyone who's gone into a field that isn't considered to be in their sex's "vein," so to speak.

tl;dr I feel that this conversation escalated due to a slight exaggeration over what biological differences there are between human males and females

D

Deleted member

tl;dr I feel that this conversation escalated due to a slight exaggeration over what biological differences there are between human males and females
I generally try to stay out of cesspool-based arguments such as this one, but I'll chime in briefly. Generally speaking, a lot of progression has been made in the name of genders equality. Biological differences are definitely overstated as you say, but cultural aspects maybe not so much. For a simple example, many posts in the military have been made accessible to women in the name of equality, but they still don't choose them for whatever reason. Likewise, there's no real indication of the opposite where men desire traditionally (and not biologically) female roles. Even if you dislike the idea of gender being embedded into the larger culture, it's likely due to personal and individual preferences rather than social injustice. And let's be honest, in our overly-PC social structure, it's truly quite difficult to find binary, objective social injustice. We simply don't like in a racist, violent, or sexist society contrary to the absolute, college-age exclusive "truth".

SunJester

Smash Ace

Gender is a extremely slowly evolving process. There are biological differences between the sexes "Male" and "Female" and may include some part in influencing their personality and decisions.

That being said the vast, vast majority of "gender roles" are social constructs. I think women in general are moving towards less traditional female roles, but I believe stereotype threat is still a thing. I mean let's put it this way, if everyone in your family is a failure, and everyone constantly tells you that you're gonna be a failure, you're more likely to fall into that role of failure. (Note: this is merely an example and in no way should you assume I think women are failures). Its like with Smash, if people keep telling girls they can't play smash, and there's very little role models for them to emulate in the community, they have a greater chance of not joining the competitive scene compared to a male.

TL;DR: Gender roles are ****ing stupid, do what you want, be who you want and don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Gender is a extremely slowly evolving process. There are biological differences between the sexes "Male" and "Female" and may include some part in influencing their personality and decisions.

That being said the vast, vast majority of "gender roles" are social constructs. I think women in general are moving towards less traditional female roles, but I believe stereotype threat is still a thing. I mean let's put it this way, if everyone in your family is a failure, and everyone constantly tells you that you're gonna be a failure, you're more likely to fall into that role of failure. (Note: this is merely an example and in no way should you assume I think women are failures). Its like with Smash, if people keep telling girls they can't play smash, and there's very little role models for them to emulate in the community, they have a greater chance of not joining the competitive scene compared to a male.

TL;DR: Gender roles are ****ing stupid, do what you want, be who you want and don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

I chose Wooper as my avatar so everyone would think I am dumb,

and nothing I've done or said since is contrary to that statement.
Oops

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
I think most people assume knowledge = intelligence, that being said, I think knowledge is an extremely vast and all encompassing thing. I know very little. I don't know how to fix a car, I don't know CPR, I don't know how to make a soufflé, I don't know all the matchups in P:M, etc. I'm not smart, I just know a few things, and even my knowledge of things like gender and gender roles is rather limited, and probably is a really fallible approach to explaining such things.

But thank you for the compliment, but I feel much safer calling myself stupid, because the second I think I know everything I need to know, life would become very boring.

Top Bottom