• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Spoilers of the results of Battle Gateway #6, Japan's Apex Qualifier (you can watch the stream archive of www.twitch.tv/shi_gaming):
Flash got third (lost to Kounotori and aMSa) and Kounotori got 4th (lost to Shippu and aMSa). aMSa got 2nd, but he took off the first set of GF. Gucci never showed up.

The winner was a peach player named Shippu. No one expected that lmao.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Can we give fox his smash 4 voice? That would be a good enough nerf, so many people would stop playing him on a dime, and hitting him will be so much more satisfying.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I think that instead of ignoring people on swf, you should be able to ignore keywords like posts referencing fox

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Now that I'm finally using smashboards on computer, I can safely say, I don't like them changes.
I think that instead of ignoring people on swf, you should be able to ignore keywords like posts referencing fox
???
we just making so she is perma banned from saying fox, falco, wolf, slippy and krystal's name. lets make it so she cant even discuss things about them or play as or against them as well. if she run into the in pools or bracket ggforfiet

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Can we give fox his smash 4 voice? That would be a good enough nerf, so many people would stop playing him on a dime, and hitting him will be so much more satisfying.

I don't know if I could play PM anymore if this became an actual thing in it. My standards and eardrums wouldn't allow it. ¦D

D

Deleted member

i mean if you want to play a game that feels like melee and fox is god, that game already exists.

personally i like PM because after a modest 12 years in competitive top-level smash, i increasingly realized how flawed melee is every passing year.

i would prefer that we NOT immitate the bad and imbalanced parts of that game.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I want to replace fox's voice in my PM now

And when people ***** I'll just laugh

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
I realize that fox/falco need nerfs but don't nerf whats good about them or you make the people who main them have less of a reason to main them. like nerf things that no one cares about when they are playing fox/falco. no one plays fox/falco for their AMAZING tech rolls so nerf the tech rolls.

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I don't see Falco as bad for two reasons:
1. His shine combos are much more escapable due to the higher angle and knockback
2. His recovery is terrible unlike Fox's average

Lizalfos

Smash Master
@techs That even feels insignificant.

SDI multiplier of 20 on u-air maybe?

Edit: We could always give Fox Fire Bird

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
fighting fox is easier than fighting falco, at least for me
and is it me or does bowser have some kind of armour in smash 4

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
EDIT: edited out condescending remarks

Re: Reddit stagelist discussion, I didn't agree with the original linked post and there's issues with it but they're explained other places
My basic philosophy for stagelists is that counterpicks are fun.
A larger stagelist allows for more intricacies and options in matchups and I think creates more interesting gameplay overall and I don't see anything inherently wrong with having multiple bans (3+) IF THERE'S A TIME LIMIT
Additionally, having a choice between various slightly beneficial counterpicks allows for even more interesting picks based not only on matchup, but on playstyles and other aspects or mindgames.

"but magikarp mental games with stage select detract from actual smash"

No they don't. They might force you out of your comfort zone but they make you adapt to different playstyles and settings, making you a better smasher overall and also proving which player is more well-rounded.
That being said, I'm not going to advocate any super jank stages being made legal a la delfino or vanilla ps1.

anyway that being said here's what I like with my totally uninformed opinion:
STARTERS (with standard 1-2-2-1 banning system)
Smashville (basically the most neutral stage, a combination between basic flat ground but also has the occasional platform to interrupt juggles)
Battlefield (nobody can be angry with nilla battlefield)
PS2 (aside from missle cancel spam, the two platform setup is a good balance between triplat and fd)
Redesigned Norfair (variant on 2 platform setup)
FoD (transfers between fd flat setup and triplat)

Notice FD is not a starter, as it's basically a cp in melee as is, and factoring in pm juggles and cgs, having interrupting platforms I think is necessary for a starter.

COUNTERPICKS (4 BANS but a one minute time limit [or smaller] on bans [ideally, 30 seconds max for bans and 30 seconds for picking])
GHZ (a cp and not a starter because of walls and how close the low blastzone is also because I don't like how overwhelmingly green it is, it actually bothers me)
Dreamland (in my opinion, too large to be a starter, also wind, although I really like the spaced triplat setup)
Yoshi's melee (too small to be a starter)
Yoshi's brawl (I feel like having the one large central plat is not the most balanced setup but it's still a legit stage especially now that the support ghosts are timed and have shyguys)
FD (no items fox only)
Wario's (super unique setup and small stage/blastzones make it an already-often-used cp)
Lylat (I hate this stage personally but it's a decent cp)
Skyworld (I also hate this stage but I play on it because it's good for weegee and it's a strong cp for some people so I want to have it in there, even if it gets banned often it offers options. The most questionable thing about this stage is the difficulty in telling where the platforms actually are in the clouds)
Distant Planet (this stage got more legit, it's not overwhelmingly large like rumble falls used to be, and it has a unique tiered platform setup which I think warrants its inclusion as an option)
Dracula's (this is a pretty contentious stage but I think it's fine. it has walls, a few moving platforms, and largish blastzones which means it definitely helps some characters which makes it a decent counterpick but not so much so that it should be banned)
Metal Cavern (This stage is the reason I made this list, because I love this stage and too many people say it's not legal. It has little walls you can walljump off, it has a monoplat setup, and the bumpy ground allows for some shenanigans with bouncing projectiles, and it's an overall small stage. It's definitely quirky but nothing that is gamebreakingly jank. Additionally, it's a pretty good stage for Ganon and with the increase of Ganon in popularity having this stage in rotation is a decent move, as Ganon is still a painfully mid-tier character and having this strong counterpick will either benefit Ganon directly if he plays on here or benefit him indirectly if their opponent bans it, leaving other slightly Ganon-favored stages open)
Skyloft (this is probably my most questionable inclusion. It's pretty quirky, kinda like metal cavern with the monoplat on one side and the bent floor. The only really questionable thing is the lack of visibility due to the walls and posts and whatnot)

Conditional counterpicks
ps1
(if you use the balanced version which I think is in tkbreezy's pack)
pictochat (if there's a version with that fixed left ledge [pmbr pls fix that])

The reason for four bans is because there's 12 counterpick stages. Assuming that of the twelve stages, about a third of them are more heavily biased towards the counterpicker, about a third are more heavily biased towards the banner, the rest are slightly biased to one party or the other or essentially neutral, including the starters.

As for the people who just want to play smash and don't want stagelists with frills, or the gamification of stage selection, that's why there's the time limit. It speeds things up and prevents over-analyzing the counterpicks. But, if you just want to play smash, and your opponent wants to play smash, you'll just go to Smashville anyway.
However, personally I believe that a larger stage list is better, and dropping stages from your stage list simply because people don't play it often is the worst sort of popularity contest. Additionally, a stage that is unpopular is actually a better counterpick because people are unused to it.

tl;dr: Larger stagelists allow for more variety in how matchups are played as well as being more interesting in general. 5 starters, 1-2-2-1 banning, 12 counterpicks with 4 bans and a time limit for banning/selection.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
okay sluts who all plays puzzle and dragons
post teams
with
Assist
Multipliers from Lu Bu / Sonia Leaders, 3 colors means i can stall using other colors or use weak attacks (antikthera is pretty weak tbh, but dat devil subtype + leader skill) to stall for Actives
On floor 9, i usually just use King Baddie + Haku actives, her skill is perfect for this team with her skill being only Water/Fire/Dark orbs. On final floor, i usually use Sonia, Lu Bu, Antikthera Skills, my multiplyer drops down from 3 to 2.5 from Lu Bu BUT, Antiktheras leader skill is 5x Attack when at less than 5% HP, so its perfect for Lu Bu.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
It was a suggested nerf, I'm not stupid.
P.S. Giving him firebird and falcon's tech would be great. Rolling with him could instantly kill you and if your shield breaks you instantly KO off the top like Jiggs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i hate captain falcon

i wish shine had no hitbox and only reflected projectiles

Lizalfos

Smash Master
That character sounds more boring than 3.5 link umbreon.

Edit: I got it, Slippy Toad appears alongside Fox, if Slippy is successfully edgeguarded, all of Fox's "technology" (b-moves excluding firebird) fails.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
That character sounds more boring than 3.5 link umbreon.

Edit: I got it, Slippy Toad appears alongside Fox, if Slippy is successfully edgeguarded, all of Fox's "technology" (b-moves excluding firebird) fails.
You is boring

Top Bottom