• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
APEX staff, this would be a ****ing fantastic time to release an official statement.
The APEX staff disagreed.

They thought it was a perfect time to sell out.

Nintendo agreed.

Short-term profit for both for long-term animosity and alienation of a large group of people.

I personally can't wait to see this backfire on both parties hardcore.

Nintendo's representatives at APEX and the APEX staff better not play "the victim card" for the (respectful) backlash.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
This is how most people are reacting right now.

It already has.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
No, it actually doesn't matter. We get majors after Apex.
Barwl doesn't.

Be patient pls

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This isn't the death of the PM scene but its the death of our largest tournament ever. This is nothing less than a giant middle finger from the Apex crew to the PM community.

If anyone from the Apex staff, or who supports Apex wants to tell me that this isn't an insult, then please, I'd love to hear the reasoning.
"I mean I like you, but I like this few thousand dollars more than you, so if you don't like that, please, shut up and go away if you aren't going to play the new game."

Honestly, it's going to be hilarious when the short-term gain leads to a long-term loss for both parties. That's what's gonna happen, especially when inevitably Nintendo throws money to have Smash WiiU replace Melee, in which honestly, the popularity of Smash WiiU vs. Melee around then will look like Brawl vs. Project M right now.

That'll be a glorious result for Nintendo that will result in the death of their Smash Bros eSports division, but it's inevitably gonna happen at this point.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Any statement about one community amounts to good public relations.

The Smash games are always in competition for players so I hope that a huge event for PM does happen at Apex again next year.

Official or not it should always have a strong presence.

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I find P:M the most entertaining smash game out all of them. It sucks just because pm is a mod it get's shafted all the time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
You don't have to file a cease and desist letter like a court document.

You just send it to the parties' involved and that's it.

Sound like bs.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
^Those can get ignored.

We could just keep streaming and stuff anyway.
Can't stop an idea, y'know, and it didn't work for anti-pirating fools.

It's an option.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Absolutely livid. I was actually looking forward to making it to this one too.

Definitely want to hear an official statement on this.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I'm curious where this ends. What if they sponsor Big House 5? Zenith 2015? Tippied off 11? Sktar 4?

When is Nintendo's (clearly temporary) support worth sacrificing a whole section of this community?

People can talk all they want about Melee being revived, but at least it wasn't being ****ing excluded from Smash events.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Well, if that's the case. The PMBR better release 3.5 ASAP, because it may very well be the end.
As soon as it's out though, it's not like Ninty can stop tournaments from being held. PM will live, but this seems glum.

Although, the Apex rumor has been flying around for a while. I feel someone just took advantage of the preemptive knowledge and is exploiting that.

Or not.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I want everyone to rip them to pieces for this crap.
If it's true (which remains to be seen), I'm not buying another Nintendo product ever again.

Because it probably won't stop at free downloads (which are legal last I checked, but hey, corporations pay for the laws).

If this all is real, and it all happens, it will probably mean the death of Project M on Twitch sadly...

...unless we scream and yell and protest Nintendo and get coverage from our should be allies in the gaming media.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I really doubt that they're going to file a C&D, Nintendo has better things to do.

Stop stressing over what is probably nothing.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Well, I definitely will not be watching any Apex streams or supporting Apex in any way since my primary game of interest has been removed from the lineup, and more importantly because Apex has shown that it is willing to screw over the entire Project M community.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
The rumour makes infinitely more sense with the context of Nintendo not allowing Project M to be a main game at Apex 2015. At least that's what I think.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I really doubt that they're going to file a C&D, Nintendo has better things to do.

Stop stressing over what is probably nothing.
I hope you're right, but I'm not stressing over it, only thinking of how to one up them and expose them as the anti-consumers they are if this news is indeed really real.

Because if it is, I want to help with other people in the community make it impossible for them to ignore it or not be hurt by it, whether by means of the press covering it, top community members speaking out against Nintendo, and so on.

We should use this as a potential beginning of a movement to deter any thoughts of Nintendo doing this, not saying "eh, let's ignore it before it could actually happen."

After all, if you truly are prepared for the worst case scenario, how can you be beat=???

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Many are making mountains outta molehills.

PM isn't dead guys, far from it too. PM will live on, and it's been a mod for, idk, it's whole lifespan. These type of things are bound to happen. I'm more so disappointed with Alex Strife, saying it would be there and then "NOPE MONEY OMOMOMOMOM"

https://twitter.com/S3thlon/status/530902185484120065

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I mean, I don't think I'd want a Mod getting more people in it then my actual product, and that's what they're worried about if they support PM. It makes them look incompetent, and rightly so.

So I don't think this has a correlation with them wanting to cut Project M, as if they wanted to they could have done it way earlier when it wasn't big.
It has to do with the image they're trying to make for newer players if they are advertising Apex. They want to say their new product will also be hype.
Needless to say, as soon as Nintendo pushes Sm4sh at evo, the entire community will be regretting their support in the first place.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Many are making mountains outta molehills.

PM isn't dead guys, far from it too. PM will live on, and it's been a mod for, idk, it's whole lifespan. These type of things are bound to happen. I'm more so disappointed with Alex Strife, saying it would be there and then "NOPE MONEY OMOMOMOMOM"

https://twitter.com/S3thlon/status/530902185484120065
This pretty much sums up my viewpoint on the matter.

It is disappointing, no matter which way you slice it.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It's over guys
PM is kill
everyone is gonna magically stop playing the game
No point for 3.5.
In fact, let's backport back to 2.1 and call the game Sonic heroes to avoid exposure and stay safe from the evil nintendo

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
The rumour makes infinitely more sense with the context of Nintendo not allowing Project M to be a main game at Apex 2015. At least that's what I think.
The reason primarily is because of the legal implications of having a modded version of Brawl there.

Honestly it would be reasonable to expect that any Nintendo sponsored event would not have PM. That DOESN'T mean they're shutting it down though.

Last edited:

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
Well then.

****. Was really hyped for P:M Apex. Really hoping that C&D is fake.

If not, **** nintendo too.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Yeah people are definitely jumping the gun here.
PM is fine. There's no reason to worry about something we can't do anything about, especially if it's a complete rumour.

If we get a C&D, we step back and re-evaluate. Depending on the severity (streaming rights, tournament stuff, download stuff) we take a new approach.

Or, like what will probably happen, we see that Nintendo just wants to promote its new game, and can't legally acknowledge blatant copyright infringement of their work at the same time. Admit it Nintendo you guys are ****ing proud of what the PMDT has done with this game while coding in the dark. You just can't legally say anything.

They don't issue a C&D, they continue pretending to not notice the existence of PM, they don't make a move on streaming or unofficial tournaments. They'll probably push for EVO 2015 sponsorship which of course means no PM there, but we'll still have SKTARs, Big Houses, etc.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if some of the Nintendo people want to work something out legally regarding PM, but Sakurai won't let them. It could be a real opportunity for them to fully unite the smash scene and make more money with their new games. But Sakurai hates competitive smash too much.

Last edited:

zman804

Smash Ace
The bull**** thing isn't that its not there, it's how coy he's being. There is big money involved, plane tickets aren't cheap, I know a bunch of people who might have to refund a plane ticket or hotel reservation. I think all most of us want is an answer.

SunJester

Smash Ace
It really upsets me that barely over a year ago, Nintendo tried to stop Melee from getting into Evo, now all of a sudden everyone loves them because they're feigning an interest in the competitive scene to sell their new game?

Do you seriously think they're going to be there at Apex 2016?

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Literally no one in this thread is saying that PM is dead because Apex removed it from the lineup.

That does not mean that we shouldn't be pissed off about this. No PM at Apex 2015 is a big deal for the PM community, and it is also a sign that major tournaments in the future that Nintendo is in any way involved in will also not allow PM to coexist with Sm4sh, which is seriously bad news.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
The reason primarily is because of the legal implications of having a modded version of Brawl there.

Honestly it would be reasonable to expect that any Nintendo sponsored event would not have PM. That DOESN'T mean they're shutting it down though.
I hope you're right man.

MLGF

Smash Lord
If any of you jackasses sent deathreats on twitter, **** you.
You are not helping the ****ing cause, you'll just allow the whole thing to be twisted and make us look like the bad guy.

Have you ****s learned nothing from Gamergate, we found corruption in gaming journalism and some idiots thought sending death threats to a girl was a good idea. Now the topic of gaming journalism being corrupt was swept under the rug because some people were ****ing stupid.

Keep it civil or STFU.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
At first I was like "Well **** Apex"

Then I was like, why the **** doesnt PM have it's own goddamn big tourney? Then we cant be screwed over by Nintendo sponsor ship

Top Bottom