• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Blog Post #9 - Yoshi's Island: Brawl

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
Today, the Project M Dev Team released a blogpost outlining changes to popular stage Yoshi's Island (Brawl). This stage had a few controversial quirks in its design, and was a nightmare for one poor Earthbound kid in particular. All of the problems with this stage were addressed in the blog post, starting with a new buff to Ness.

You can hear the collective sigh from Ness mains all over the world.

On Yoshi's Island, many Ness mains are familiar with the frustration that comes with putting out your PK Thunder, only to have it collide with a Shy Guy, leading to Ness's helpless death. The PMDT fixed this by making it so Ness's PK Thunder hitbox goes through stage hurtboxes, such as Shy Guys on Yoshi's Island or the balloon on Smashville. This buff may appear minor, but it fixes a major problem for Ness mains. The PMDT also fixed a problem with the ledges of Yoshi's Island, where characters would sometimes slip off of the edge while using certain moves. Now, the edges behave like every other edge in Project M. Another major change was hinted at on the /r/SSBPM subreddit with this curious image.

The PMDT is really going in with the new recolors.

The PMDT described the importance of this little guy in detail;

The final, and probably most controversial, topic that we’d like to address are the Support Ghosts. In 3.02, these Ghosts appear at random intervals. This can be game changing because the Ghosts can pop up and rescue a player’s seemingly lost stock. In 3.5, the Ghosts are no longer random. They now appear approximately every 25 seconds, with each Ghost appearing 15 seconds after the previous one.

Even with the new, consistent timing of the Support Ghost platforms, we felt that this didn't do quite enough to eliminate the random factor they introduced. This is where the new White Shy Guys come in. For those of you unfamiliar with Yoshi's Story, White Shy Guys help you by rescuing any Yoshi you may have lost in previous levels. Now, they are here in Project M to warn you that a platform is going to appear. They sure are helpful little guys!

The PMDT seemingly assessed every single problem with Yoshi's Island Brawl and made sure they weren't a concern anymore, whilst still maintaining the quirkiness of the stage. This is just another spectacular addition to version 3.5 and fans are clamoring for the update to be released as soon as possible. What other parts of Project M do you think need to be addressed? Are you more excited for Project M v3.5 or Super Smash Bros. for Wii U?

Here's the link to the full blogpost!

KhanYe just spent the past week in Greece and he's finally going to sit down and play Smash 4. Follow him on Twitter @rbdayman.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
THANK. GODDDDDDDDD. LOOK AT MY MAINS. LOOK AT THEM! THANK YOU DEV TEAM!!!!1

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
At 16 days for SSB4, does this really matter that much?

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
good update! Never had this problem since i'm not a big ness player but this seems like something good.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
To the many people who are big fans of Project M, who won't let the new game hamper their love of this one (myself included), yes.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love PM, It'll help to calm the wait for Mewtwo until 2015. But seems many people will forget it for some time... anyway, Just an opinion.

D

Deleted member

Well I'm far more excited for Smash Wii U, but I am looking forward to PM 3.5.

TheMikinator3000

Smash Cadet
NNID
Michael312243
I still don't have Project M because, well, my Wii stopped reading my Brawl so I have to use my Wii U and no one around sells SD cards that are 2 GB. I want to get it so I can enter the next tournament in Oklahoma.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
I like these modifications, but I hope no more fun, chaotic stages like Norfair get neutered or replaced by generic platforms / battlefield clones. Not every stage needs to be fair or neutral

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I still don't have Project M because, well, my Wii stopped reading my Brawl so I have to use my Wii U and no one around sells SD cards that are 2 GB. I want to get it so I can enter the next tournament in Oklahoma.
Get access to a VISA or a Debit VISA and buy a cheap 2GB off of Amazon for like $10. Problem solved :D

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
This is more hype than any of Sakurai's "Pic of the Day". Project M rocks! I'm way more excited for this than for Smash 4.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
nintendo really needs to offer this dev team a job. they do such good work, even if its just minor changes

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
sdi + asdi + buffer roll or jump
Cuz ness mains can't just tech chase you afterwards

Then again PMDT did say in a blogpost that more moves will have scaling KB, so Ness' down throw is likely a thing of the past

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Great....Ness, one of my most HATED CHARACTERS IN PM is getting a buff......*sigh*......

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
... getting a buff?

you're not serious?

you can't be.
Well I just saw the text that said Ness got a buff. I realize it's not that bad now (only on one stage, I really should've read more). I mean personally as a Bowser main in PM Ness disgusts me.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
White Shy Guys represent!

Honestly, love these changes!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Welp, looks like I just lost my Pk Fire Ness counter pick

smh Ness mains
Ness still has trouble stage positioning with the island's central platform. He now just also has a fair recovery on the stage.

At 16 days for SSB4, does this really matter that much?
Played the demo at best buy and wasn't terribly impressed. Played the game's release build on 3DS and saw it was exactly the same, so I'm going to stick with Melee and try out PM 3.5 when it launches.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
Cuz ness mains can't just tech chase you afterwards

Then again PMDT did say in a blogpost that more moves will have scaling KB, so Ness' down throw is likely a thing of the past
Never said anything about teching, nor did I say Ness was completely shut down. It's just another game of rock paper scissors. Shield di will also possibly allow us to stay in shield just outside of the flame, giving as even more options.

Also with fastfallers I can usually get a roll out before Ness is even close to getting a grab with those stubby arms. If he happens to have positioned himself so that I don't have a room to roll away, then he deserves a grab.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I'd like to say that, in general, I think having something both have an indicator and be on a timer is unnecessary. Still better than neither, though.
And I kinda feel the opposite would have been a better change for Ness, IE if his Thunder were still stolen by stages but he'd never go into specialfall without actually using PKT2.
Didn't know that about the White Shy Guys. That's the kind of creative, illuminating use of Nintendo licenses that I love from Smash.

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
But when is it coming? I guess they will just release it without any announcements. Doubt it'll come AFTER Smash U...

Last edited:

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
It's looking great! New changes sound pretty sweet. I have 2 points I wanna address.
1. I don't think Ness's side-B should activate on shield. It doesn't in any other game and me and many other people I know including a Ness main agree that it's just unfair.

2. Could one of the White fly guys have a general guy outfit that shows up at random? That would be awesome.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
... getting a buff?

you're not serious?

you can't be.
A) His recovery itself looks unchanged.

B) Other/Tether recoveries are nerfed.

C) No collision PKT means recovering high into the stage is a much better option on stages now.

Options getting better? Non-ness options getting worse? Sounds like a buff.

It's looking great! New changes sound pretty sweet. I have 2 points I wanna address.
1. I don't think Ness's side-B should activate on shield. It doesn't in any other game and me and many other people I know including a Ness main agree that it's just unfair.
Ness' PK thunder doesn't go through stage hurtboxes in other games either. Ness can't jump cancel his magnet in other games either. Ness can't double jump cancel as well as rising aerial in other games either. There's a ton of stuff ness as well as a LOT of other characters can do in P:M that doesn't happen in other games, and pk fire is easy to get out of. Your point is moot.

Doubt it'll come AFTER Smash U...
Yes it will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom