• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Zack117

Smash Rookie
I've been extremely busy the past couple days. The guide is updated for full non beta 3.6 now. Sorry about that. :)

If you use the direct method (in the screenshot you're using the wrong version of Dolphin) then you enter the port you have forwarded.
Thanks man. I didn't know never versions of Dolphin support UPnP. Traversal works like a charm. Portforwarding isn't even necessary anymore.

Unfortunately, I have another issue to consult.
Minor older revisions of Dolphin such as 7161 and below don't seem to render Brawl and PM at a complete fullscreen on my PC resulting in black borders on the left and right of the screen. I think it's 16:10 instead of 16:9, which is the aspect ratio of my system and TV.

Here's an example:

Newer versions of Dolphin like 5.0 render the game perfectly fine. Does someone know what I could do about this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks man. I didn't know never versions of Dolphin support UPnP. Traversal works like a charm. Portforwarding isn't even necessary anymore.

Unfortunately, I have another issue to consult.
Minor older revisions of Dolphin such as 7161 and below don't seem to render Brawl and PM at a complete fullscreen on my PC resulting in black borders on the left and right of the screen. I think it's 16:10 instead of 16:9, which is the aspect ratio of my system and TV.

Here's an example:

Newer versions of Dolphin like 5.0 render the game perfectly fine. Does someone know what I could do about this?
Dolphin 5.0 isn't as up to date as the master branch. This is actually how the game is supposed to render. Before this, the game was too stretched as wii/gc games aren't exactly 4:3/16:9.

What exactly do you mean by direct connect?
See the controller setup guide on smashladder if you're on there.

Thanks! That's really helpful. I've got some follow-up questions:

Are you saying that every file that's in the PM ZIP that has an _en version in the Brawl ISO should get renamed when building a PM ISO? That confuses me since the current build scripts don't rename all of them (for example, menu/collection/Replay.brres is named Replay_en.brres in the Brawl ISO, but the existing build scripts don't add _en while copying that file).

It's also unclear to me whether a file like stage/melee/STGDXONETT.pac in the PM ZIP should be renamed, since the Brawl ISO has both STGDXONETT.pac and STGDXONETT_en.pac.

But where did the Netplay versions of these files come from? If they're from the PMDT, are they part of any of the downloads available on the official PM site? If not, who created them, and is there an "official" source for them besides this thread?
Don't really know. Could be a typo, could be some other reason. Don't think that file matters for the sake of Netplay.

You might just want to experiment and see what happens (when you load the stage on the built iso)

The netplay files aren't really official PMDT, but a PMDT member helped with it, SOJ.

Last edited:

BUnit

Smash Apprentice
First off, I'd like to thank you for setting up the builder and guide so many of us can enjoy the game.

For me, I just want to play with friends locally and have found been trying to build the console version with varying levels of success. I'm also running a mac, so I can't quite just run the BAT file in the console folder. To make it work, I've tried to modify the python script to capture the differences in the BAT files.

After a decent amount of work, I got it working in the Beta by manually swapping out many files. I think somewhere it mentioned I should swap out the entire projectm folder with the one from Vanilla one (from the PM site), but that ends up causing many of the screens to be incorrect - notably the character and stage select screens. I'm trying to do the same for the full release of 3.6, but hoping there's a better solution.

Also for both the beta and the full, I'm running into an issue where there's always a challenge approaching screen even in my "console" versions. Is there a work around for this?

4tlas

Smash Lord
How would you make a dolphin PM 3.6 build without it being for netplay? Like, not using the netplay build either? Currently having trouble getting custom music working.

Choko

Smash Rookie
How would you make a dolphin PM 3.6 build without it being for netplay? Like, not using the netplay build either? Currently having trouble getting custom music working.
This guide will set you right. It uses the same method as the homebrew version for an actual wii instead of baking your own iso. The downside is that netplay is offlimits, though one of the newest updates to Dolphin should remedy that... I just have no idea how to do that yet.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
This guide will set you right. It uses the same method as the homebrew version for an actual wii instead of baking your own iso. The downside is that netplay is offlimits, though one of the newest updates to Dolphin should remedy that... I just have no idea how to do that yet.
Thank you so much. And welcome to the forums!

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I can't seem to get this to work... I've put my brawl iso in the same folder as the PM iso builder, but when I try to actually build the iso, I get a lot of "the system cannot find the path specified"...

Y-L

Smash Champion
I can't seem to get this to work... I've put my brawl iso in the same folder as the PM iso builder, but when I try to actually build the iso, I get a lot of "the system cannot find the path specified"...
Usually means you have a bad brawl iso.

Tilian

Smash Rookie
So me and my friend have the correct version and everything runs perfectly but we cant find the "8 character code" to give to give to each other so we can actually play netplay we are on 4.0.7161 like the guide said but there is no code

wfu

Smash Rookie
As I mentioned before, I'm working on a modified version of the build script. When I build an ISO with my script and run it in Dolphin, I get the "please insert Brawl game disc" message immediately. What causes that, exactly? What kind of options are there in general for debugging problems with PM ISOs?

Y-L

Smash Champion
As I mentioned before, I'm working on a modified version of the build script. When I build an ISO with my script and run it in Dolphin, I get the "please insert Brawl game disc" message immediately. What causes that, exactly? What kind of options are there in general for debugging problems with PM ISOs?
You changed the the GAME ID without corresponding the PC value (last 2 characters of the game id in hexidecimal).

wfu

Smash Rookie
You changed the the GAME ID without corresponding the PC value (last 2 characters of the game id in hexidecimal).
I haven't changed the Game ID from what the Netplay build script uses, though. I left the calls to WIT pretty much unchanged; it's just the file-copying code that I've rewritten. Where is this "PC value" set, by the way? Is there anything else that can cause the "insert disc" message?

Conti

Smash Ace
Can we never use megasync again. Downloading this update was a nightmare [took hours to get it i ended up having to make a new account and still run into issues] and i really really dislike this site and there were no mirrors. Please n thanks ^^

DrButteFatman

Smash Rookie
NNID
DankMemester420
Is there an ISO builder for Project M that ISN'T for netplay? I want an ISO to use for Dolphin

EDIT:
I want to use an ISO that I can TAS with and I can't for the life of me figure out how (to make the ISO, that is.)

Last edited:

wfu

Smash Rookie
Is there an ISO builder for Project M that ISN'T for netplay? I want an ISO to use for Dolphin
I've been working on a script for this, but right now I'm at an impasse. The ISOs it builds don't work in Dolphin, and I haven't been able to figure out why yet.

If I do get it working though, I'll post a link to the script here.

ilysm

sleepy
Trying to make it thru Mac OS. Run the builder thru python and end up with this:

os.mkdir(dst)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'ssbb.d/files/fighter/captain/'
Luiss-MacBook-Pro:3 luisvallesteros$

Help pls.
I am also having this issue; I've searched the thread for a solution and come up empty-handed. I've made sure that the .iso file is in the directory, renamed as the README file instructs. The .iso is definitely valid, I've used it with Doplhin to run Brawl. For some reason the .py builder won't recognize the .iso. I'm using Textmate for this. Help would be greatly appreciated.

TempTag13579

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if it would be possible to run netplay off of my computer, this is the stuff for mine:
Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Operating System: OS X Yosemite (Version 10.10.2)

Last edited:

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Well I was trying the netplay build, and I don't know if it is just me, but some of the music seems to have a scratchy effect to it. If I add a save file with Shift+F1 the music become fine though. I was wondering whether there was any way to fix that problem.
Also is there any pm3.6 builder that has the full game with alternate stages, not a netplay version?

Thanks,
~qwertz143~

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
I am also having this issue; I've searched the thread for a solution and come up empty-handed. I've made sure that the .iso file is in the directory, renamed as the README file instructs. The .iso is definitely valid, I've used it with Doplhin to run Brawl. For some reason the .py builder won't recognize the .iso. I'm using Textmate for this. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Yep, same thing's happening to me...

ilysm

sleepy
Anyone? I really don't mean to sound rude, but this issue has cropped up for quite a few users now (searches on google reveal even more people with the same problem) and so far nobody can find a solution or what's causing it.

Last edited:

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637

Cynapse

Smash Ace
There's a script called peppy fiddle that's great for inserting music into the brawl iso for PM 3.6. It's primarily for use with for the SD method on Dolphin.
https://www.reddit.com/r/customsmash/comments/3nokq1/peppy_fiddle_the_clirich_iso_builder/

Additional info:
http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...ger-than-2gb-on-dolphin.416392/#post-20488542

That aside, I have a question. Where is the sfx for this build located? I checked literally every folder and found nothing, which makes me wonder how Mewtwo and Roy say anything at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

EDIT: FIGURED IT OUT, IF USING AN ISO THERE'S NO NEED TO TURN OCARINA/HOOKSHOT SETTINGS ON. CAN'T BELIEVE IT WAS THAT SIMPLE.

Hey guys. I've been trying to get a PM ISO to work on my Wii for so long now and having no luck. Yes I built it the right way with the console folder, yes my Brawl had the right md5, and no my USB drive is not write protected. (I am not using an SD card. Everything is on the USB, works fine for other game/programs I try to run). I'm using USB loader GFX. The game does start up, but the problem is once I select a stage, everything freezes. Also don't know if this is related or not, but not every character is available on start up. Also I can't figure out how to get my game to read in the .ctg cheat codes (I have changed the custom paths to the USB drive). Any and all help is appreciated. Don't know why I'm having so many problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Hey guys. I've been trying to get a PM ISO to work on my Wii for so long now and having no luck. Yes I built it the right way with the console folder, yes my Brawl had the right md5, and no my USB drive is not write protected. (I am not using an SD card. Everything is on the USB, works fine for other game/programs I try to run). I'm using USB loader GFX. The game does start up, but the problem is once I select a stage, everything freezes. Also don't know if this is related or not, but not every character is available on start up. Also I can't figure out how to get my game to read in the .ctg cheat codes (I have changed the custom paths to the USB drive). Any and all help is appreciated. Don't know why I'm having so many problems.
Why don't you load the brawl iso through the pendrive and then load project m via homebrew using an sd card? Then everything should work smoothly.

Edit: Nevermind didn't read your edited post lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Why don't you load the brawl iso through the pendrive and then load project m via homebrew using an sd card? Then everything should work smoothly.

Edit: Nevermind didn't read your edited post lol
I wanted the music that came with the netplay version of the build otherwise I would've done it the standard way.

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
I wanted the music that came with the netplay version of the build otherwise I would've done it the standard way.
You could still replace the files? It's in the console/projectm/pf/sound/strm of the project m 3.6 netplay folder. Just copy all the .strm files and paste it.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
uhhmmm this builder doesnt exactly work that well for me...i renamed my brawl thing RSBE and nothing happened when i ran the builder =/

didnt have this issue with previous builders... it says missing blah blah blah everywhere, both with my brawl iso and my pm 3.5 iso. any tips? im also attempting to use the leak files..

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Is there a way to just get the music pack from the netplay build without downloading dolphin? Or maybe someone could make a folder?

Bulivarth

Smash Rookie
Could someone help me out? I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but when I try to make the "Project M" iso builder says there is no space left on the device. I'm not sure how to fix it considering I'm not using a sd card or anything.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Don't know if this is an optimization issue or not. I have very powerful specs and I have run the game with no graphical enhancements and "maximum" graphical enhancements.

When the first few hits in a match are landed, the game stutters. It also seems to stutter when someone flies off screen for the first time. Other than that, the game runs perfectly. Any ideas/suggestions to remedy this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom