• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

oloap

Smash Rookie
This guide is outdated, we're using the SD method on anther's ladder

link_AJ

Smash Rookie
How can I play Anther's Ladder on my softmodded Wii? I just want to play with the custom music and stages

Y-L

Smash Champion
How can I play Anther's Ladder on my softmodded Wii? I just want to play with the custom music and stages
You can put the ISO on your wii using CFG or something of the likes of an iso loader, you can't play Netplay on a wii though.

ikrager

Smash Cadet
Can I use a v1.00 melee ISO with Dolphin or Netplay? Or will it cause compatibility issues with other players?

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
I have one main question: Is it just naturally extremely hard to find a pm 3.6 netplay compatible brawl iso? I've found like 5 or 6 and all of their md5 codes are just completely incorrect to what I need. I'm not asking for help... just wondering if I was the only one having an issue of finding it.

Another side question: Even if I have a different brawl iso... will that affect netplay?

Last question: When I used the PMNetplay.elf with my current brawl isos it just keeps saying "setting up drive" could I have a little help with that as well?

Sorry for so many questions :(

Hath

Smash Rookie
NNID
Trollburger
How do I change the PM files to have my own music? It seems like I need to get into my SD card and change it, but I don't know how to do that. I need help because I have the BTRSM (whatever the letters were); it's properly sliced and named. I just need to know how to change it within the SD.

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
I have one main question: Is it just naturally extremely hard to find a pm 3.6 netplay compatible brawl iso? I've found like 5 or 6 and all of their md5 codes are just completely incorrect to what I need. I'm not asking for help... just wondering if I was the only one having an issue of finding it.

Another side question: Even if I have a different brawl iso... will that affect netplay?

Last question: When I used the PMNetplay.elf with my current brawl isos it just keeps saying "setting up drive" could I have a little help with that as well?

Sorry for so many questions :(
I got a brawl ISO off emuparadise and the MD5 checksum turned out all right.

Zeckemyro

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeckemyro
3DS FC
1693-1481-3092
What is md5? I have the Invalid read error too, it doesn't crash the game or anything it's just really annoying

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
Did you right click on the brawl ISO in the dolphin menu and select "set as default ISO"?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I saw this....

even with this verison https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version

20XX runs ok but brawl is still weak.. apparently my laptop came had a better released with higher specs... like AMD Phenom II X3 P840, my verison doesn't have this.... if I bought this cpu and swapped would that be a good idea?

whats wrong with the ISO version vs the sd card?
improvement would probably be minimal, also hard to swap laptop CPUs

iso is pita to update

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
yeah, I've started using the SD card verison- easy to set up and it runs rather well

its a damn shame AMD cpus run like **** on dophin

Last edited:

Zvvm

Smash Rookie
Whenever i get to gecko its saying that theres no sd card found and it just takes me to brawl. im on mac. what do i do

Last edited:

Eli_Nice

Smash Rookie
I think i've done most of it correctly my problem is when i boot up my PMNetplay.elf i cant control it. Im using a GC adapter that goes through my wiimote. ill try pressing any buttons (even on the "emulated wiimote" setting with keyboard) and no response. where did i go wrong?

888thLegion

Smash Rookie
Hey there! I've been met with an issue even after following all your steps, so I'm wondering if I have to have Gecko installed or something, because this happens:

After booting up the .elf I'm met with this screen: https://gyazo.com/f964b1ee6157c5f374d0145384adb66e

When I press A, this happens: https://gyazo.com/a2267b5947536b25acf8c6ae90591b72

Then my screen has just this on it: https://gyazo.com/dd8ad22c958ab81ee0c2bc24cb5878b9

And when I press again "OK" in the window I get this: https://gyazo.com/c8926012613b0f2654bef23215c3de24~

Finally, the Proj.M doesn't show up in my ISO folder: https://gyazo.com/e07f3b1a89c0f43d639af8094957ae0f

Even though it is in the game folder with all the others: https://gyazo.com/d45bdedae2dda56af4ab4ab7d0188dbc

I've replaced the SD Card, and followed the steps, I set the Brawl ISO as the default one, and I've checked the pathway aswell, any ideas why this is happening? I've tried out Brawl and it works fine! No lag whatsoever!

RedTheMage

Smash Rookie
Sorry for commenting so late,But i wanted to ask. Why can i not change the music? It seems to keep getting stuck.

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
Netplay prevents you from changing music so that you don't desync when you're playing online

GONZAfeco

Smash Rookie
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
Didn't helped me! So I have all you said, but when I launch Gecko it shows the regular SSBB, but only some weird things happens and when I start a match my game freezes and crashes.Help?

GONZAfeco

Smash Rookie
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
So, now, my friend MK64DS helped me get the game, but when I launch Project M and of course says "contain your hype" the game freezes and my Dolphin stop working. I'll tell you some information if one of theese are the problem: I'm a PAL user(but I'm using NTSC-U SSBB for this), I use PAL60HZ, I have Dolphin 5.0, I have alot of games, it's the Project Waa(With Waluigi).
Anyway, I also tried the normal Project M and the same thing happened, any help for that?

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
Here's a guide I wrote a while back on how to connect Gamecube Controllers to the PC without an adapter:

A Mini Guide:
Requirements:
• Windows 7, Vista, or XP (Windows 8 might work, but you would have to find your own way to disable driver signatures.)
• A Nintendo Wii with Homebrew Channel.
• A gamecube Controller, I believe Wavebirds do work
• Download these 2 files:
http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tiIt1c41d2YW5vbFFJZ1N1Z0E/edit?usp=sharing
Step 1 (Windows 7 and Vista only)
You will need to open the dseo13b file.
Once the program is open, and you have agreed to the two statements, you will see this screen:

You are going to want to “Enable Test Mode”, hit next, and then restart your computer once test mode is enable.
Upon reboot, if performed correctly, you should see:

. In the bottom right hand corner of your desktop

Step 2 Instal PPJoy
This is the most annoying part, and is the part I couldn't get to work on my friends Windows 8.1 computer.
Extract the 10056.7z file to a folder, you will need all of the files in this folder.
Right click “ppjoysetup-0-8-4-6(5)” and run as administrator, and then follow the installation. If any problems occur during installation, try running the install file in compatibility mode with a windows xp service pack.
* If this doesn't work you may want to also look up guides on how to install PPJoy on a Windows 7/Vista Computer, as it is a rather annoying process, you may find a different method that works for you.

Step 3: PadSend
The next step will be on your wii, you will need to open up the homebrew channel, and tap the home button on your wii remote in order to locate your Wii’s IP Address.

Write down your Wii’s IP address in a notepad, and then return to the main menu of the homebrew channel. Now plug in whatever Gamecube controllers you are going to want to use on Dolphin. Leave your wii on the Homebrew channel and return to your computer.
After this is done you can move back to your computer. If you’re on Windows7 or Vista, you’re going to right click the “PadSend Server (2)” file and click properties. Go over to the Compatability tab, and make sure the settings match:

Once the settings are applied, run the “Padsend Server (2)” file, It will open but will be in the windows tray:

Click on the Icon of the file, and then select the Wiiload Client, you might see a box that says “text” just continue, and you will see this box:

Click yes, and paste in your Wii’s IP from the notepad. If done correctly you should see a screen similar to this, on your Nintendo wii screen:

And the PadSend Server, should now be displaying something similar to this:

Now in your Dolphin Gamecube Controller settings, the Controller should be under the name of one of the following (not the keyboard):

Then just map the controller like normal :)

NOTES:
• To leave the application on your wii, Hold down L,R,Z,A,Y,START all at the same time.
• This method can be used with up to 4 Gamecube Controllers, but they all have to be individually mapped.

• If you wii IP isn’t 192.168.x.x you may have to hex edit the Padsend and the .dol file

• More information can be found about PADSEND and hex editing from the official thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/padsend-for-ds-wii-pc-application.295119/ but it hasn’t been updated in a while.
• If people have a lot of trouble with this guide, I do plan on making a video on how to set this up, and compare it to my USB Mayflash adapter, but from my preliminary I notice almost no input lag difference between the USB Mayflash and this method.
Hey, quick question, does this work for mac and if not, is there a different method with mac or do the methods work for both of the platforms?

Ayyyyylmao

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to play online cross-platform? As in Dolphin vs Wii? The Wii is already set up for online play on Project M

drew1212

Smash Rookie
As of Project M Version 3.6 this guide is UP TO DATE.

A lot of people have difficulty setting up Project M for Netplay (or offline) use so I've decided to make this guide to answer any questions people might have. The reddit thread isn't updated very often and a lot of smashboards members don't know about it/are still asking questions with easy solutions. If I could possibly get this stickied that would be great. OUTDATED METHOD [Iso builder] (Windows/Mac/Linux)

DOLPHIN NETPLAY MATCHMAKING ROOM
Anther's Ladder

WHAT YOU NEED
NTSC copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl.iso [no links/asking where to get one, you need to do this on your own]
2 GB of Hard Drive Space
Dolphin 4.0-7161 (Dolphin is updated very frequently. We only update when it benefits Smash/Netplay)
Project M 3.6 Virtual SD Card

HARDWARE (Courtesy of Serris)

MAKING THE ISO
1) Extract the zipped files.

2)
Go to Documents > Dolphin Emulator > Wii and delete the current SD card in there. Replace it with the sd.raw found in the pack.

Mac Users: Please Follow this Guide in finding your file location/directory: http://imgur.com/a/4L3WJ

3) Place the PMNetplay.elf and Brawl into the same directory as the rest of your ISOs or Direct a path in dolphin to it.

4) In dolphin, right click your Brawl.Iso and set it as the default.

5) To make sure you made Brawl your defaut ISO, go to Config > Paths to clarify:

6) Go to Config > Wii and select "Insert SD Card."

To play on Netplay, click on the PMNetplay.elf. This will forward to the Customized Gecko OS Launcher where it applies the SD Card Codes. From then, just press "A" to Launch Game. DO NOT PRESS START!

PLAYING ON NETPLAY
*note that you preferably want to play someone from your region, or ping might be too high

To host a Netplay lobby, go to Tools->Start Netplay, head to the Host tab, then select the game that has PMNetplay. Copy and give your opponent the 8 character code that appears. After your opponent joins, set the buffer by dividing the ping by 16, then rounding up (I.E. 35 ping, 35/16 = 2.19 = 3 buffer).

To join a Netplay lobby, go to Tools->Start Netplay, paste the 8 character code from the host, and hit connect.

FAQ/TROUBLESHOOTING

• What kind of GC adapter should I get/how do I set it up correctly in Dolphin?
I highly recommend the Nintendo or Mayflash 4 Port GC to USB adapter. Amazon and eBay will have it the cheapest. Follow the guides on Smashladder to configure your controller properly.

• I can't connect to Netplay/My opponent cannot connect to me?
Ensure that you and your partner are using Dolphin revision 4.0-6554. Developer versions or stable versions will not work. If this does not solve the issue it may be a connection issue, which is common in apartment complexes, universities, and other public internet connections. For solution see below:

• My opponent is doing weird movements and jumping off the cliff, and they said I'm the one doing that. What happened?
This is a desync. Essentially you two are both viewing different games. This could either be your fault or your opponents fault. Ensure that Wiimotes and Insert SD Card are off and disabled by both parties. If this does not resolve the issue, the player at fault must rebuild their iso as they built it incorrectly. Verify your md5.

• Dolphin runs slow on my laptop. Help!
Try using the Dolphin laptop performance guide. Also keep in mind multimedia laptops are not designed for gaming. The most common problem is that your cpu is overheating and throttling (reducing performance) to reduce heat. Most multimedia laptops share the cpu heatsink with the gpu so under graphics settings in Dolphin switch to integrated graphics.

• Why can't my computer run Project M at full speed? I have xxxx CPU/xxxx GPU
Dolphin relies almost entirely on single-threaded CPU speed. Most AMD CPU's have pretty bad single-threaded performance. In addition, you cannot compare PC games to dolphin, as PC games are reliant on GPU, whereas with Dolphin GPU is hardly a factor.

• I'm planning on building a new computer that will run Project M at full speed. What should I get?

• How can I increase dolphin performance? I changed all the settings!
Unfortunately if those do nothing for you your options start to get limited. You can overclock your CPU, or upgrade to a new one.

• My controller isn't working?
Go to Options->Gamecube Pad Settings and configure your controller there.

• What does WC, EC, MW, EU mean?
West Coast, East Coast, Midwest, Europe, respectively. People often want to fight people in their own region to prevent high pings.

Want to support Netplay? Post this in your siggy:
Code:
[url="smashladder.com"][img]http://i.imgur.com/9rgWoyD.png[/img][/url]

I did everything you said, but when I open the PMNetplay.elf, it just takes me to brawl

Top Bottom