• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yes.

Not the same at all. That actually worked on my Wii, but this did not.

If it was, I wouldn't be here asking for help.

Did this. Have checked on the file multiple times and my main folders were in there and looked the same every time.

The Dolphin folder is in My Documents, but is not listed as such for reasons unknown. But, that is its true directory.

No "Wii" folder directly in my Dolphin, as the directory on my opened "sd.raw" above shows. Only exists in My Documents/Dolphin/Sys/Wii for me. So, if this is the reason why it fails to work, I believe newer versions of Dolphin do NOT work with this.

Did this.

Did both of these.

Did this.

Did this.

Except, I wasn't. I redid this entire process all over again and it STILL SAYS "No SD Codes Found" and loads regular Brawl.

I have said it dozens of times to other people and I will gladly say it one final time: MAKE A TUTORIAL VIDEO.

There surely is one process you are missing, as I have done this so many times already.
Pretty sure the problem is that you think the dolphin folder you use to open dolphin is the dolphin emulator folder. You need to use the dolphin emulator folder (the dolphin.exe is not in there). That folder should reside in your documents. Sorry to inconvenience you, but I'm on mobile most of the time and I don't have time to make you a video. That's your issue though.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Pretty sure the problem is that you think the dolphin folder you use to open dolphin is the dolphin emulator folder. You need to use the dolphin emulator folder (the dolphin.exe is not in there). That folder should reside in your documents.
I do not even HAVE a Dolphin folder in My Documents if you mean it was actually supposed to make one. Do I make that myself?

And I don't have time to make you a video. That's your issue though.
Not my issue if there is no real proof of this method actually working. Until I see a video, this is all just (...) to me. Just sick and tired of all these generic answers I have been receiving and how so little information exists online on how to do this process aside from that one link that has NO video proof of the whole process. Videos are the simplest way and every tutorial I have seen is a video tutorial for the most part. Text tutorials are only nice to sum up what I watched in the video.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I do not even HAVE a Dolphin folder in My Documents if you mean it was actually supposed to make one. Do I make that myself?

Not my issue if there is no real proof of this method actually working. Until I see a video, this is all just (...) to me. Just sick and tired of all these generic answers I have been receiving and how so little information exists online on how to do this process aside from that one link that has NO video proof of the whole process. Videos are the simplest way and every tutorial I have seen is a video tutorial for the most part. Text tutorials are only nice to sum up what I watched in the video.
No you're not supposed to make the folder yourself. It should generate itself in your documents like this.

If you don't want to believe that the method works then that's up to you. I will however say that I used this method for months when creating a PM mod pack to test mods quickly.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I got Dolphin from this website:

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn

And it only gave me a ".rar" file that contained Dolphin. There was no installation "'.exe" file that could have generated this new "Dolphin Emulator" folder.
Dolphin.exe is the thing you double click on to start Dolphin there is no installation. However when you run Dolphin for the first time it generates that folder "Dolphin Emulator" in your documents. That folder stores all of your settings, save files, ect. It is different from the folder you get when extracting the archive that you downloaded from Dolphin's website. That folder just has the files for that specific version of Dolphin. Your save files and all of that go to the global folder "Dolphin Emulator".

Notshane

Smash Ace
Dolphin.exe is the thing you double click on to start Dolphin there is no installation. However, when you run Dolphin for the first time, it generates that "Dolphin Emulator" folder in your documents. That folder stores all of your settings, save files, ect. It is different from the folder you got when extracting the archive you downloaded from Dolphin's website. That folder just has the files for that specific version of Dolphin. Your save files and all of that go to the global folder "Dolphin Emulator."
I am still so confused. I am pretty certain I have saved in Brawl at least once, but this folder never showed up. How am I supposed to get it to show up? If this is really all I need to get it working, then I really need this folder.

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently, it was not in my main "My Documents" folder it was located in the "Documents" that are in the "My Computer" folder. That is total crap! Anyone could get confused over that! Either way, everything loaded now so I suppose my problem is resolved. I did NOT know there was a second folder for that.

Last edited:

KingMarth7

Smash Rookie
Py is the extension for Python. Download the builder + Python 2.7 if you don't have it already.
ok so i downloaded the python 2.7 and it came as a Pkg file with a bunch of stuff in it. and every time i try to click python in the file that says project m 3.6 beta it kinda goes black then quits me out. like the project m folder has python already in it and i click it but it doesnt start. do you know whats wrong. and my mac is brand new but i dont know the version and i dont know if that matters. also my brawl iso looks like a dmg file and it says when i try to open it no mountable file systems

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
ok so i downloaded the python 2.7 and it came as a Pkg file with a bunch of stuff in it. and every time i try to click python in the file that says project m 3.6 beta it kinda goes black then quits me out. like the project m folder has python already in it and i click it but it doesnt start. do you know whats wrong. and my mac is brand new but i dont know the version and i dont know if that matters. also my brawl iso looks like a dmg file and it says when i try to open it no mountable file systems
I suggest you do a little research before setting this up.

You have to install python (try google for this) you dont just download it. If your brawl iso is a dmg file you need to extract it first (also use google)

KingMarth7

Smash Rookie

You have to install python (try google for this) you dont just download it. If your brawl iso is a dmg file you need to extract it first (also use google)
n

wow just had to be patience

Page Won

Smash Rookie
Can I get some help? Still having the same issue even on the official release of Windows 10. That is, I have the correct md5, updated graphics driver, and in different brawl isos I get the same crash at the exact same point, which is when the press start screen is supposed to come up.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
When I started netplay the first time, I got 2 strange messages but was able to begin a match anyways, but there was no audio. What could be the problem?

CheCray

Smash Cadet
Okay so from the looks of it, having custom PM ISO's for console is broken :/
I tried the music fix above too by editing the GCT codeset and even then I ran into the problem of the character select screen being the Brawl CSS. Prior to this I have gotten the infinite black screen just before the intro music countless times. It doesn't look like copying a custom/vanilla GCT and projectm folder works in any capacity.

Any chance we can expect a fix for this before 3.6 comes out? And if anyone with more knowledge on the subject than me wants to look into it I'll tell you everything I've tried.

Edit: by 3.6 i mean the full 3.6
Edit: Guess what came out? full 3.6

Last edited:

Chu2|DFM

Smash Rookie
3.6 has been released.

Hopefully this means we can now get a better ISO builder that doesn't fail to load stage textures and without the music changes. With all the problems in the 3.6 Beta Builder , it might be better to have a Netplay optimization pack and a Console pack that doesn't mess with custom music.

Skeptixz

Smash Cadet
I just did this, now I can play the beta 3.6 in dolphin

However, I heard they released the full 3.6 mode, what should I do? or is the 3.6 beta good enough ( I JUST PLAY OFFLINE )

Zack117

Smash Rookie
First off, thanks a ton for this guide!

My concern refers to the PM 3.5 guide. Unfortunately there's no discussion section, so I decided to bring my thoughts and questions to this table here, since they should apply to this guide as well. Hope that's ok. Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated.

Everything in the 3.5 guide worked fine except of course Netplay but that's because of the lack of information about the network ports that Dolphin uses. At least in my opinion.

I know how to configure my home router and how to forward ports. There's a reason why I flashed it with an DD-WRT firmware some years ago. And it still took me hours until I finally figured out where to look for the port that Dolphin is using for the current hosted session:

When selecting Localhost it tells you a specific IP and the used PORT. I have no idea where this IP does come from though. But I know for sure that the IP is not from my home network.

Anyway, it worked instantly after setting up a static IP for my PC in my router and telling him which port to forward.

Is this my fault? Did I miss something in this guide? Because I feel like this information HAS TO BE included here since it's universal for this Dolphin release. Oh, and I visited portforward.com as suggested, but I couldn't find any information about Dolphin or SSB/PM there.
Hell, not even the official Dolphin Netplay guide does provide this information. Sure, it tells me that I have to forward the port, but not where to find it. I don't understand why that is.

Which leads me to my actual question.
After some testing, I noticed that the port does randomly change after each session.
Could someone please tell me the port range Dolphin uses, so I don't have to configure my router after every session?

I apologize if my post appears aggressive to you, I tried my best not to sound unappreciative, because I actually highly appreciate what this community does.
I'm just angry at myself. Figuring this out took me way too long and I don't believe I'm the only one here who had this issue.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I've been extremely busy the past couple days. The guide is updated for full non beta 3.6 now. Sorry about that. :)

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I've been extremely busy the past couple days. The guide is updated for full non beta 3.6 now. Sorry about that. :)

First off, thanks a ton for this guide!

My concern refers to the PM 3.5 guide. Unfortunately there's no discussion section, so I decided to bring my thoughts and questions to this table here, since they should apply to this guide as well. Hope that's ok. Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated.

Everything in the 3.5 guide worked fine except of course Netplay but that's because of the lack of information about the network ports that Dolphin uses. At least in my opinion.

I know how to configure my home router and how to forward ports. There's a reason why I flashed it with an DD-WRT firmware some years ago. And it still took me hours until I finally figured out where to look for the port that Dolphin is using for the current hosted session:

When selecting Localhost it tells you a specific IP and the used PORT. I have no idea where this IP does come from though. But I know for sure that the IP is not from my home network.

Anyway, it worked instantly after setting up a static IP for my PC in my router and telling him which port to forward.

Is this my fault? Did I miss something in this guide? Because I feel like this information HAS TO BE included here since it's universal for this Dolphin release. Oh, and I visited portforward.com as suggested, but I couldn't find any information about Dolphin or SSB/PM there.
Hell, not even the official Dolphin Netplay guide does provide this information. Sure, it tells me that I have to forward the port, but not where to find it. I don't understand why that is.

Which leads me to my actual question.
After some testing, I noticed that the port does randomly change after each session.
Could someone please tell me the port range Dolphin uses, so I don't have to configure my router after every session?

I apologize if my post appears aggressive to you, I tried my best not to sound unappreciative, because I actually highly appreciate what this community does.
I'm just angry at myself. Figuring this out took me way too long and I don't believe I'm the only one here who had this issue.
If you use the direct method (in the screenshot you're using the wrong version of Dolphin) then you enter the port you have forwarded.

Last edited:

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. With the new PM 3.6 Netplay Build, I keep having this problem where it shows up as "Smash Bros Brawl" on Dolphin. It says the maker is "Left Field Entertainment," but the ID is RSBEF2 like it should be. However, the name problem causes the MD5 checksum to be different from what it's supposed to be. Due to this, I'm always get desynced when I try to play online with others. Every time it says "Error: game not found." So anyone know how to get it to show up as "Project M 3.6 Full Netplay?" I'm on Mac OS X if that helps.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. With the new PM 3.6 Netplay Build, I keep having this problem where it shows up as "Smash Bros Brawl" on Dolphin. It says the maker is "Left Field Entertainment," but the ID is RSBEF2 like it should be. However, the name problem causes the MD5 checksum to be different from what it's supposed to be. Due to this, I'm always get desynced when I try to play online with others. Every time it says "Error: game not found." So anyone know how to get it to show up as "Project M 3.6 Full Netplay?" I'm on Mac OS X if that helps.
I've yet to get the mac .py builder to actually work for me. Other have talked about a "fixed" updated script that works correctly but it's never worked for me. Ended up just installing windows 10 on a virtual box VM to run the .bat file. Really stupid/annoying process but it's the only way I've been able to get the correct md5.

Slimin

Smash Rookie
I'm on a hackless wii with PM 3.6 is there anything I could do to play online or is this limited to dolphin?

Luk101

Smash Cadet
So I ripped my own brawl iso and the md5 checksum doesn't quite match recommended checksums that I've seen on other guides. My brawl iso seems to run fine on dolphin, and I've been able to play multiple games on it without lagging or any errors being thrown up. So I built the project m iso with the netplay build link, and it built me a project m iso without too much of a problem, but my md5 checksum didn't match the recommended value. But when I load the project m iso, the opening purple project m screen comes up, and once it tries to get past the next loading screen, dolphin puts up an error that says "invalid read from 0x52534265, PC = 0x8000b68a0". What exactly is going on here? Is this because of my brawl iso md5 checksum not matching? Did I make a mistake in creating my project m iso? This is my first time getting into netplay so any help is appreciated.

The specs on my computer are Intel I7-5500U 2.4 GHz 8gb ddr3 ram with an amd Radeon R7 m260 graphics card with 2gb ddr3 sdram.

donko

Smash Rookie
could we possibly get a torrent mirror for the builder? not a fan of the bloat mega makes you download for files over 1gb

Luk

Smash Journeyman
So I ripped my own brawl iso and the md5 checksum doesn't quite match recommended checksums that I've seen on other guides. My brawl iso seems to run fine on dolphin, and I've been able to play multiple games on it without lagging or any errors being thrown up. So I built the project m iso with the netplay build link, and it built me a project m iso without too much of a problem, but my md5 checksum didn't match the recommended value. But when I load the project m iso, the opening purple project m screen comes up, and once it tries to get past the next loading screen, dolphin puts up an error that says "invalid read from 0x52534265, PC = 0x8000b68a0". What exactly is going on here? Is this because of my brawl iso md5 checksum not matching? Did I make a mistake in creating my project m iso? This is my first time getting into netplay so any help is appreciated.

The specs on my computer are Intel I7-5500U 2.4 GHz 8gb ddr3 ram with an amd Radeon R7 m260 graphics card with 2gb ddr3 sdram.
If the Brawl iso doesn't have the correct md5 then anything you do afterwards will be incorrect as well.

wfu

Smash Rookie
I'm working on a console build script for Linux/Mac, and I'd be grateful if I could get some questions answered about the ISO build process.

1) There are a number of files that the existing build scripts rename while copying (by adding _en to the end of the base filename). Why is this? Is there a list somewhere from the PMDT that specifies which files need this renaming?

2) There's a lot of inconsistency with regard to capitalization of file extensions (like .pac vs .PAC). I assume PM is case-insensitive, at least for file extensions?

3) What differs between the Netplay and Console builds? For example, if I wanted to recreate the contents of projectm/ and console/projectm/ myself from the PMDT's releases, how would I do it?

4) Where does the hex number 106D8 (gctsize) in the build scripts come from? Translated to decimal it's 67288, which is not the actual size of RSBE01.gct (neither console nor netplay version).

Thanks in advance for any info you can throw my way. If I get my script working, I'll throw it up on GitHub.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm working on a console build script for Linux/Mac, and I'd be grateful if I could get some questions answered about the ISO build process.

1) There are a number of files that the existing build scripts rename while copying (by adding _en to the end of the base filename). Why is this? Is there a list somewhere from the PMDT that specifies which files need this renaming?

2) There's a lot of inconsistency with regard to capitalization of file extensions (like .pac vs .PAC). I assume PM is case-insensitive, at least for file extensions?

3) What differs between the Netplay and Console builds? For example, if I wanted to recreate the contents of projectm/ and console/projectm/ myself from the PMDT's releases, how would I do it?

4) Where does the hex number 106D8 (gctsize) in the build scripts come from? Translated to decimal it's 67288, which is not the actual size of RSBE01.gct (neither console nor netplay version).

Thanks in advance for any info you can throw my way. If I get my script working, I'll throw it up on GitHub.
When extracting the Brawl iso, the Brawl file names have _en at the end while the PM files don't. You can check this in the Brawl vault resources for the Brawl file dump.

I don't think file extentions are case sensitive.

The Netplay build contains custom code for unlocking characters, has the custom songs/some stages, and contains the netplay logo in the CSS. Idk if there's anything else. The console build is just vanilla PM, the most important thing is the codes though because the netplay codeset will corrupt your save file.

IIRC the gct size is supposed to be the size of the rsbe01.gct in hex. It might just be a "the size of the gct must be <= this value"

sciencerob

Smash Rookie
NNID
sciencerob
3DS FC
0619-4703-6966
I got it set up and am able to load games just fine but I am running into an very odd C-stick problem. Sometimes the C-stick is not smashing as it should. I have my radius set up to 100 and dead zone as zero but i have no issues whatsoever with melee or 20xx, they run normally. its just PM. I have no idea what is causing this error.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I got it set up and am able to load games just fine but I am running into an very odd C-stick problem. Sometimes the C-stick is not smashing as it should. I have my radius set up to 100 and dead zone as zero but i have no issues whatsoever with melee or 20xx, they run normally. its just PM. I have no idea what is causing this error.
If you have a 4 port adapter, I encourage you to use direct connect for your controller. If not, I don't know what to say if the radius and dead zone is configured properly. Brawl (thus PM) has more stick sensitivity explaining why it only happens for PM.

wfu

Smash Rookie
Thanks! That's really helpful. I've got some follow-up questions:

When extracting the Brawl iso, the Brawl file names have _en at the end while the PM files don't. You can check this in the Brawl vault resources for the Brawl file dump.
Are you saying that every file that's in the PM ZIP that has an _en version in the Brawl ISO should get renamed when building a PM ISO? That confuses me since the current build scripts don't rename all of them (for example, menu/collection/Replay.brres is named Replay_en.brres in the Brawl ISO, but the existing build scripts don't add _en while copying that file).

It's also unclear to me whether a file like stage/melee/STGDXONETT.pac in the PM ZIP should be renamed, since the Brawl ISO has both STGDXONETT.pac and STGDXONETT_en.pac.

The Netplay build contains custom code for unlocking characters, has the custom songs/some stages, and contains the netplay logo in the CSS. Idk if there's anything else. The console build is just vanilla PM, the most important thing is the codes though because the netplay codeset will corrupt your save file.
But where did the Netplay versions of these files come from? If they're from the PMDT, are they part of any of the downloads available on the official PM site? If not, who created them, and is there an "official" source for them besides this thread?

sciencerob

Smash Rookie
NNID
sciencerob
3DS FC
0619-4703-6966
If you have a 4 port adapter, I encourage you to use direct connect for your controller. If not, I don't know what to say if the radius and dead zone is configured properly. Brawl (thus PM) has more stick sensitivity explaining why it only happens for PM.
What exactly do you mean by direct connect?

Top Bottom