• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Y-L

Smash Champion
C-stick is iffy. It goes from not being able to use left side (bairs for example) to only using left side (no uair dair or fair) and it's kinda annoying. I've reconfigured a few times but I have no idea what the problem is
Set radius on both sticks to 100, dead zone to 5 on main stick 15 on c stick. It's in the FAQ.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
So what exactly happens? You open dolphin you can't get to the settings or anything it just says it's not responding as soon as the program opens? Are the dolphin files in a protected area or an area where they have limited access?
I open dolphin and it crashes right away, I just have it on my desktop also I have Dolphin on a SSD. Does that matter?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I open dolphin and it crashes right away, I just have it on my desktop also I have Dolphin on a SSD. Does that matter?
Well Dolphin creates a directory in your documents folder that stores all its settings. I'm guessing it can't access that causing it to crash.

Ethireom

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble making the Project M ISO. Every time I use the builder to make it, nothing happens. I think it might not recognize my brawl ISO, which is clearly in the same folder. How do I fix this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm having trouble making the Project M ISO. Every time I use the builder to make it, nothing happens. I think it might not recognize my brawl ISO, which is clearly in the same folder. How do I fix this?
Is your brawl iso NTSC/7.92GB?

Ethireom

Smash Rookie
Is your brawl iso NTSC/7.92GB?
Nevermind, I think I got it to work, but the value thing isn't the same as the one that you said it should be.

The value on my Project M ISO: 4f1f5714debe6679513558807e29a8be

Anything I should to fix this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Nevermind, I think I got it to work, but the value thing isn't the same as the one that you said it should be.

The value on my Project M ISO: 4f1f5714debe6679513558807e29a8be

Anything I should to fix this?
Answer my question about your brawl iso first.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
I did the part with 1,1,2,1 in the Build iso..but no sav iso appears. I used utorrent with my smash bros brawl file, could that be the problem?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I did the part with 1,1,2,1 in the Build iso..but no sav iso appears. I used utorrent with my smash bros brawl file, could that be the problem?
No talking about torrenting here..
Your brawl needs to be NTSC 7.92gb iso file, either that or you don't have enough hard drive space.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
No talking about torrenting here..
Your brawl needs to be NTSC 7.92gb iso file, either that or you don't have enough hard drive space.
Sorry about that. Could you please tell me what you mean by "NTSC 7.92gb iso file"? And how much hard drive space do I need? (That response was fast...the question wasn't up for 3 minutes...thanks.

Edit: The size of it was NTSC 7.46 GB:confused:....I guess I'll have to download another one.

Edit: I found "one" that is 7.93 GB....would that change anything?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Sorry about that. Could you please tell me what you mean by "NTSC 7.92gb iso file"? And how much hard drive space do I need? (That response was fast...the question wasn't up for 3 minutes...thanks.

Edit: The size of it was NTSC 7.46 GB:confused:....I guess I'll have to download another one.

Edit: I found "one" that is 7.93 GB....would that change anything?
NTSC means it's an American copy, not European or Japanese. In Dolphin if there is an American flag next to the iso in the directory you can tell. You need about 8gb of disk space for the new iso to be created. Could be scrubbed, or iso missing parts of the game that are unnecessary. Yes you need the full game. Try that one.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Well Dolphin creates a directory in your documents folder that stores all its settings. I'm guessing it can't access that causing it to crash.
How would I fix that, assuming that is the issue.

Last edited:

PerkPrincess

Smash Rookie

Shouldn't be computer related. Just started today, been playing netplay games just fine before.

Only thing that's changed is switching over to a new router/isp which is far more stable latency wise. But we can connect to each other just fine and start the game. Can insert names and get to character select. But as soon as we try to move on I'll crash.

Edit: So I've managed to pinpoint it down. It'll crash if I select a character and then go to the stage select screen. But it'll go to stage select just fine if for example I set two cpu's to fight each other.

Edit #2: So I decided to try toying with gc controller options and it's seemed to sort itself out. Bizarre.

Last edited:

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
I finally got the right ISO...and it goes insanely slow. I'm sure my Comp can run it, it lags pretty badly though.. any suggestions? Also, I cant get my iso on the main list on dolphin.. it always says not found, but when I click play...it works. So because of that, I don't think I can netplay.

Edit: The game is on my list and everything is normal...except for my computer's unusual lag. It runs games like Skyrim Perfectly,so it baffles me that it's having trouble with this,...it has to be the settings, or the iso.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I finally got the right ISO...and it goes insanely slow. I'm sure my Comp can run it, it lags pretty badly though.. any suggestions? Also, I cant get my iso on the main list on dolphin.. it always says not found, but when I click play...it works. So because of that, I don't think I can netplay.

Edit: The game is on my list and everything is normal...except for my computer's unusual lag. It runs games like Skyrim Perfectly,so it baffles me that it's having trouble with this,...it has to be the settings, or the iso.
Pc games are nothing like emulation. Pc games rely heavily on graphics while emulation is all CPU. List your specs and let's see.

For it to show up, go to config->paths and set the appropriate path where your iso is.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I use the Melee sfx mod. It's only sfx and nothing else. Can this cause a desynch?
That melee sfx mod does require a custom FitChar.pac iirc. I am positive that custom character GFX, custom character skins, and custom music all cause desyncs so unfortunately the answer is probably yes. I would test it for yourself though.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
Pc games are nothing like emulation. Pc games rely heavily on graphics while emulation is all CPU. List your specs and let's see.

For it to show up, go to config->paths and set the appropriate path where your iso is.
I apologize for my stupidity, but how do I get to my specs?

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Two people who individually can play the game at 60fps fine.

We can play with other people fine.

Play with each other? Stutters like crazy. 48-52fps. Sometimes slower.

Any ideas?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Two people who individually can play the game at 60fps fine.

We can play with other people fine.

Play with each other? Stutters like crazy. 48-52fps. Sometimes slower.

Any ideas?
Netplay is more demanding, try raising your buffer, if that doesn't help post specs.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Tried raising the buffer. Doesn't really help. I've posted them here before but they are an i5 3570k and a radeon 7850.

I can play 60fps stable with some people, as can the other person. But when it comes to playing with me we struggle.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Tried raising the buffer. Doesn't really help. I've posted them here before but they are an i5 3570k and a radeon 7850.
What CPU does your friend have? Does your ping spike together?
I can play 60fps stable with some people, as can the other person. But when it comes to playing with me we struggle.

Y-L

Smash Champion
http://gyazo.com/5237acb87c3bea8b40b3cfa846b7192c

There it is. Gyazo is a program used for screenshottingmaps....if you don't trust the link, you can look up some things about Gyazo
It's cool I used to use gyazo. Unfortunately your cpu is way too slow for Dolphin. AMD processors are generally much slower due to poor single threaded performance (what Dolphin needs). In addition, that is an low power processor rated at 18W (not a lot of power output) and also is clocked very low at 1.3GHz. Your laptop may be good enough for pc gaming due to it having relatively decent graphics, but the cpu power is not enough for emulation. Sorry dude.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
It's cool I used to use gyazo. Unfortunately your cpu is way too slow for Dolphin. AMD processors are generally much slower due to poor single threaded performance (what Dolphin needs). In addition, that is an low power processor rated at 18W (not a lot of power output) and also is clocked very low at 1.3GHz. Your laptop may be good enough for pc gaming due to it having relatively decent graphics, but the cpu power is not enough for emulation. Sorry dude.

It's alright. I'll just wait 2 months to smash online, thanks for being so helpful.

Last edited:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Hey, Downloaded Dolphin 4.01569 the other day
got an American brawl ISO that is the right size of 8.9 GiB
I downloaded the Homebrew Full set and put the "projectm" folder and the Brawl ISO in the same folder as the iso builder.
I made the ISO and i noticed no errors in making the file except for that one everyone seems to get.
Check the number thing and it matches.
But when i load project M the title screen only shows the default characters "no unlocks, no roy, mewtwo"
The menus looks like project M until the character selection screen, which looks like this.
View attachment 14361

And when You select mewtwo from there the announcer says, "Roy", i cant confirm who it is because the program crashes when a stage is selected.

An ideas?
I'm having a similar problem as this guy, I figured out how to deal with his other issue with the ISO builder (where it's unable to produce the ISO and shows issues with the banner and other files) by removing all of the homebrew, banner, and patch folders except the .gct and the /projectm folder, but I'm left with only the starting characters. I'm guessing some of those folders need to be there for building the ISO?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm having a similar problem as this guy, I figured out how to deal with his other issue with the ISO builder (where it's unable to produce the ISO and shows issues with the banner and other files) by removing all of the homebrew, banner, and patch folders except the .gct and the /projectm folder, but I'm left with only the starting characters. I'm guessing some of those folders need to be there for building the ISO?
That error happens when you don't have the RSBE01.gct or the file wasn't read.

GiroNatsu

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but me and my friend have been wanting to try different builds of PM, and have used the iso builder to make the builds. It launches correctly offline, but when we use netplay, it launches the default version of PM. Does anyone know what causes this/how to fix it? Thanks

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but me and my friend have been wanting to try different builds of PM, and have used the iso builder to make the builds. It launches correctly offline, but when we use netplay, it launches the default version of PM. Does anyone know what causes this/how to fix it? Thanks
The most likely issue you're having is that both your vanilla pm iso and your modded one are in the same directory and dolphin is getting confused when you launch a netplay game because they have the same game id and choosing the vanilla one.

To fix this you can either move your iso in a different directory so that dolphin doesn't find the vanilla pm or you can modify the builder to change the game id (you can find the line in the builder to set it from RSBEPM to RSBEXX or something. You also have to make sure in the line above it to change the value to whatever the last 2 digits are in hex or you'll get a please insert the Brawl disc error. So you'd change 706D to 7878 if you uses RSBEXX) .

Last edited:

Sword

Smash Cadet
So I was checking the checksum value and it ended up like this: b372d01c5c80646bb5e9fb7628e00875 I followed the guide and did everything right so I am confused as to why this is wrong. Please help!!! Also I ran the game in dolphin and it worked just fine!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
So I was checking the checksum value and it ended up like this: b372d01c5c80646bb5e9fb7628e00875 I followed the guide and did everything right so I am confused as to why this is wrong. Please help!!! Also I ran the game in dolphin and it worked just fine!
Is your brawl iso 7.9gb?

GiroNatsu

Smash Rookie
The most likely issue you're having is that both your vanilla pm iso and your modded one are in the same directory and dolphin is getting confused when you launch a netplay game because they have the same game id and choosing the vanilla one.

To fix this you can either move your iso in a different directory so that dolphin doesn't find the vanilla pm or you can modify the builder to change the game id (you can find the line in the builder to set it from RSBEPM to RSBEXX or something. You also have to make sure in the line above it to change the value to whatever the last 2 digits are in hex or you'll get a please insert the Brawl disc error. So you'd change 706D to 7878 if you uses RSBEXX) .
Thank you very much, worked perfectly!

Top Bottom