• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
By the way - I found a file that has all of Geno's battle sound effects, except for Geno Whirl and Geno Blast: Here.

EDIT: By the way, I noticed that neither Geno moveset has an uppercut. Just thought I'd point that out, seeing as Geno actually uses one on Bowyer before he fights him.

EDIT2: Can I ask again what program you're using, Uncle0wnage? I'm somewhat tempted to try my hand at a Mallow model (after all, it only seems right, considering we're well on our way to seeing a true playable Geno). I doubt I'd be able to program a moveset or anything like that to save my life, but a model couldn't hurt.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey Uncle0wnage this looks like it's coming along awesomely!

I just wanted to ask what programs you're using and if possible if I could see some wireframe-on-poly renders?

Also for his "cape" are you planning to use cloth modifiers or polygons?

I only ask cause I'm a 3D modeler myself and this stuff always interests me.
Also I'd be happy to assist in any way possible if needed :p I have a whole slew of software on hand haha

I really can't wait to see the final product though :p

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'M BAAACK!!!! And it looks like I've been missing a LOT of stuff.
I think I have a grasp of what's going on right now, but I'm gonna ask a few questions, just to be sure, and so that I can throw my little bit into the pot.

1) About the model, have you covered issues pertaining to animation and specific moves? I'm talking about removable hands as well as guns here (and possibly a removable hat for the item taunt).

2) How are we with sound effects (Geno Whirl, Geno Beam, etc)? Or is there still no way to do that?

3) About Geno's voice, what options do we have? Because if our only problem for the voice is that it sounds too 'clean', couldn't we simply run it through a kind of filter?

Anyway, I gotta catch up on other stuff here too. Talk to you guys more soon.
Oh wow... I've been gone for nearly three weeks and now you guys are working on a completely original Geno model? Man, I wish I could help but my computer skills are laughable at best.

As for Geno's voice, the only good fan one I've heard is the one who was in some of the Bowser's Kingdom episodes and Smash Kingdom 1 and 2.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
shadowbolt you could always try the free 3D modeling program for games and animation called Blender i'm currently trying to learn Blender version 2.49 b

be prepared though for alot of trial and error though XD

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
I say that Geno should have the voice from the SMRPG song. (I know he only says GENO WHIRL and LET'S DO THIS, but it fits him more in my opinion) the voice from bowser's kingdom and smash kingdom sounds like he's stuck up and arrogant. he should sound noble and dignified yet humble at the same time...He serve's the stars for crying out loud!

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
I say that Geno should have the voice from the SMRPG song. (I know he only says GENO WHIRL and LET'S DO THIS, but it fits him more in my opinion) the voice from bowser's kingdom and smash kingdom sounds like he's stuck up and arrogant. he should sound noble and dignified yet humble at the same time...He serve's the stars for crying out loud!
he said the voice from bowser's kingdom or smash kingdom, that dont mean he has to act like him,we just want us to sound like him.

@mariorocks64: no there is not, if there was UncleO said he would post if he made any progress so please don't flood the thread with that question. (and I said please ^^).

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
if anyone wants to know some basic modeling i found this basic tutorial for blender off youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1iTiDnmME&feature=related

(since shadowbolt wanted to try his hand at modeling mallow)

really good and helpful especially if you wanna make some models

this tutorial shows you how to make an alien head

as for the voice for Geno it shouldn't be a deep voice ...

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Been playing around with Blender at your suggestion, Senjen. Have a crummy Mallow going so far, but a thought occurred to me: How in the world would the mouth work?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
shadowbolt i wouldn't mind seeing your mallow production esspecially when its rendered, F12 will render it. other people could possibly give you tips as well. and remember everything looks crummy at the start then it becomes a masterpiece at the end production.

you can show some pictures of your progress as well. ^^

shadowbolt if you master blender can you put up a tutorial or something if its possible

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Master Blender? I highly doubt that'll happen, seeing as my computer can barely handle it. Here's what I came up with, though:

I'm afraid that might be as far as I can go - push it any further, and my compy may overheat on me. I can attempt to give him fingers tomorrow, but I can't promise anything more than that.

Thankfully, that'd only leave the spiral in his hair, his mouth (which I'm still confused on), and his weapons. After that, just cut a small opening in his collar and give him his textures, and you're all set!

Zario

Smash Rookie
Amazing model! IMO It looks even better than the original. Perhaps Mallow's mouth could be a simple drawn texture just to test how it looks? Considering Mallow has a very Kirby-ish look, a drawn mouth could actually work for him.

Now, back to Geno. As for his voice, I think I've found someone. While searching random SMRPG videos last night, I found this.

Skip to 5:55 at the end of the battle. I think Geno's voice is perfect! Here is his account, apparently he does other voice work as well.

Anyone else agree?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
nice job i'm impressed shadowbolt if you don't want to see the square bumps on mallow click on every part and push click on set smooth.

if thats as far as you can go show that to the smrpg project tell them what programs you used and how you used it and what tutorials you used.

or you can put it on media fire and ill download and put the smooth function on it.

if you want to continue its ok with me though goodluck.

or if you plan in the future to get a new comp put blender on it as well and the proccesser will hopefully be better.

amazing job though. * claps hands*

Zario

Smash Rookie
Ehh, I don't here Sonic in him all that much. Sonic's voice is much higher.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
That Geno actually didn't sound half bad. I wouldn't mind that voice.

... That Mallow, though... Yikes... X____X

And-WHOA! All of a sudden my compy is back to original speed! Holy guacamole! I guess I'll keep going! Haha! xD

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
your comps speed is back due to Geno using his magic to heal your comp he wants he buddy mallow to be ready in brawl as well ^^

post more pictures of mallow later if you want to Shadowbolt

shadowbolt i can't see from the angle of the picture of mallow but does he have a belt?

i hope your saving this beautiful mallow ^^

i treat Geno and mallow as equals there both epic game characters in my eyes.

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Personally, I expected Geno's voice to sound differently, like a creepy puppet from one of those horror movies. Sort of like Jigsaw except less high-pitched.
Why? he's a spirit in a doll's body, not a possesed murduring doll, (oh wait) fact's aside, he shouldn't sound creepy. the voice isn't the doll's it he spirit's voice. i like the voice from the fandub if i do say so myself

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Fixed a lot of mistakes with the first model - mostly ones that you couldn't notice at first glance. Also, overall smoother.

Also, after listening to that Geno voice again, I still don't hear any Sonic in it. But... Jigsaw voice? No thanks, dude.

Zario

Smash Rookie
Wow Shadowbolt, I thought the first one was great, but now he looks almost perfect. You just need to add his fingers, hair swirl, and mouth.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
holy crap amazing job shadowbolt i thought the first one was impressive as well. i can't see the belt from this angle very well.

keep up the good work also where are the little white eye's like the original artwork of mallow?

i don't know what it is but the pants need a little work on them i can't ponder what it is though?

also i forgot to mention in blender if u right click on the camera and go to shading and push blend, paper, real you can make the background look more 3D as well to change the color of the render background change the HoR's.

i was also wondering is there any light blue color on mallows pants as well?

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Whoa, that looks great. I only got one thing to say, though: you gotta make him more... cloud-like, puffy... I dunno how exactly to say it, but I think you know what I mean. I'm not sure if it's just to use a texture, or what, but yeah.

Oh, and you might also want to make sure the model can do everything that you want to have him able to do (like splitting himself in half), because trying to find a workaround after the models are set in stone is a pain.

As for Geno's voice, the guy Zario suggested actually really sounds like something you'd expect to hear. But then again, just because we found one guy doesn't mean that we should just stop there, you know?

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Things are shaping up nicely so far. Trying to make things more accurate to both the artwork and the sprites.

Although two issues have arisen: (1) I have no flippin' clue how to make a curl (such as Mallow's hair) in Blender. (2) The model actually has *no* bones. O_o

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
i found a blender hair tutorial on youtube don't know if its 100 % what you wanted but i heard from a friend these you can do in version 2.49 b as well don't know if its true or not.

http://www.youtube.com/user/adotaproductions#p/a/u/0/T6oVrvsCfwA watch this one all the way through as well ...

i also found another hair tutorial if the one i prevesiouly gave you is hard to do or understand http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/3d...oking-hair-effects-with-particles-in-blender/

i also found a tutorial on bones i think ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJwitCqGe5c just watch it all the way through...

also Douhneill is right you should make him more cloud like ...

i think i also found a texture tutorial ... not 100 % sure watch if fully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_orTTC4sJA&feature=related

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
hey shadowbolt did you look at the tutorials i posted on page 47 at the bottom? They are very helpful ^^ the tutorials are for hair,bones, and texture ...

awesome camera angle btw!

its still missing the white eyes like in the Mallow picture

i was also pondering since Geno has a stage for himself in brawl will Mallow have one as well?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Backups? It's good to have a few anyways. 3D can randomly get corrupted sometimes.. At least with 3DSMax.

Senjen - If somebody wants to make it, go ahead. Sails and I did Forest Maze because I found it to be a pretty good fit, so we worked on it and had it up in 24 hours, more or less.

Some sort of Nimbus Land level or something is certainly possible for Mallow, but I don't know if I feel like doing it.

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
Backups? It's good to have a few anyways. 3D can randomly get corrupted sometimes.. At least with 3DSMax.

Senjen - If somebody wants to make it, go ahead. Sails and I did Forest Maze because I found it to be a pretty good fit, so we worked on it and had it up in 24 hours, more or less.

Some sort of Nimbus Land level or something is certainly possible for Mallow, but I don't know if I feel like doing it.
Awww com on Shadic, make this one too, i mean the Geno level was is so awesome so I know you could do wonders with a Nimbus stage for Mallow.

BTW, nice looking Mallow Bolt, your doing wonders on him,now we just need someone to start working on his moveset (and he needs his own thread this is Geno's remember ^_^).

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Aaaaaand, progress! :D

What's left...

- Mouth (Seriously - how does Kirby's work?)
- Hair Swirl (Do I add it to the sphere, or make it out of a tube? So confused!)
- Any size alterations that might come up (Let me know how you think it looks so far!).
- Bones (Figured it out, but waiting until the model's done.)
- Texturing (The very last step. Not counting the base coloring you see right now as textures.)

On the note of a Mallow stage... meh. I don't see why we'd need it. The Forest Maze feels like enough for both of them if you ask me.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
@ Senjen: Go for it! I'm currently just playing around in brawlbox just to see what I can make for a stage, but once I'm done, I'll probably make an axem rangers stage. But yeah, go for it!

@ Shadowbolt: That. looks. awesome. I can't wait to see how this turns out. How are you planning on doing the animations?

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Actually, as far as animating, I was thinking of just putting the model up for grabs so someone else can do it. I have no intention of hacking my Wii at the moment, so animation would be quite the issue for me.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
hmm shadowbolt when your done making Mallow look 100 % amazing, and when you put mallow online for download are u going to have a description of what program u used to make it and which version of the program?

so whoever downloads it can do the animation?

i still don't see the white eyes on mallow like his picture ...

are u still going to keep it in the blender format when u post online?

i also forgot to mention in blender there's a thing called a lamp which looks like a sun it increases and decreases the energy (brightness level) shown when u render a image

ps where is the blue on Mallow's pants i see only white ...

Eldiran

Smash Lord

Here's some suggestions on the Mallow model that are rather hypocritical since I could never make anything well by modeling:

- Possibly make him puffier and/or cloudier? He is literally a cloud person, as seen above.
- Good luck on the hair swirl, I have no idea either <.<
- The mouth could just be a texture, appearing much like the above picture.

ShadowZX

Smash Rookie
How I can use Geno Cosmic? I pick Toon Link for Geno but it look like all color is Geno Fighter. Did I mess up mistake?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
i think i found a blender mouth tutorial ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-1ToAr7uo

i have no clue how to make a stage/terrian for brawl 0.0

i'll try to but i'll probably need help with the nimbus stage i'll need a image in order to make it though as a reference. (if i do it by myself it will probably take a long time ...)

also are you going to tell people its a model that is to used to be imported into brawl so mallow can be playable in brawl?

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
@Senjen - I'm not sure why that info would be necessary to animate, but sure, I could give it once I'm done. As for *who*, I think I'd rather entrust the task to someone who I have evidence is up to the task, and won't simply give up later on.

About the blue on his pants and the whites of his eyes - like I said, I'm not planning on doing much in-depth texturing until the model itself is done. I added the blue to the top fold of his pants, but that's all so far.

@Eldiran - Thanks for the pointers. About the cloud-like-ness: I'm trying to go for a mid-point between that image of Mallow and his sprites. His sprites never really gave that "popcorn" appearance, so I gave him the lumps seen in the picture, but didn't indent them at their edges.

I found an acceptable placeholder for the swirl-hair. It's a rather blocky tube (one that won't let me smooth it out), and it's hollow, so I'll have to replace it at some point, but it's good enough for the moment.

I've considered making the mouth a texture, but then how would he open it? Does anyone know how Kirby's mouth works in his model?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
that mouth tutorial was for u shadowbolt i forgot to put your name near the tutorial XD

can't wait to see more progress on Geno and Mallow ^^

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
^
I know, Senjen. The problem is, adding a mouth *onto* Mallow isn't what we need. We need a way to give him a mouth *on his body*, that can open and close.

Top Bottom