• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
thats weird why it would freeze when only adding in a few animations. could i get the new ones so i can start testing to see whats wrong, Intrepid?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace

Got Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush texture, at least. I'm gonna try an older version of Dolphin with 3D Ripper DX so I can get the model.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Wait... we can get models from Sluggers?

News to me.
Mario Super Sluggers doesn't use MDL0s at all (even looking through a memory dump shows no signs of it), I just used Dolphin's texture dump feature to get the paintbrush's texture. Because of the way the textures are stored, there's no possible way for them to be MDL0s. I was just gonna use 3D Ripper DX to extract the model from in-game, straighten it out, and manually convert it to MDL0.

BUT. I just remembered something. While I can't get the Super Mario Sunshine paintbrush from... well, Super Mario Sunshine, I just remembered that Bowser Jr. is in Mario Power Tennis, and he uses that paintbrush for his Power Smash. I'm gonna go get that one right now, since I'm having trouble with Mario Super Sluggers.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
That would be great as well.

StarWaffle: Where are ya mang, I need to find out what animations you HAVEN'T done. ;_; I'm in the mood to animatteeeee. Get on MSN when you can. :3

n64billy

Smash Ace
Oh wow! RandomTBush, thanks heaps for helping out! :D

Oh and InTrepid, I'll be starting some animations on Shadow Mario soon probs, just not this weekend. Would help to get some files though.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Oh wow! RandomTBush, thanks heaps for helping out! :D
Hey, what can I say? Bowser Jr.'s one of my favourite Mario characters. :)

Anyway, I got the brush's model from Mario Power Tennis extracted using Dolphin and 3D Ripper DX, but it didn't dump any textures (no worries, I can dump those separately and re-apply them), and I've got to do a lot of fiddling with the FOV so that it isn't so skewed. It's definitely gonna look better than the brush from Super Mario Sunshine, since it's got 992 polygons (compared to the 240 that the SMS brush has).

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
Hey, what can I say? Bowser Jr.'s one of my favourite Mario characters. :)

Anyway, I got the brush's model from Mario Power Tennis extracted using Dolphin and 3D Ripper DX, but it didn't dump any textures (no worries, I can dump those separately and re-apply them), and I've got to do a lot of fiddling with the FOV so that it isn't so skewed. It's definitely gonna look better than the brush from Super Mario Sunshine, since it's got 992 polygons (compared to the 240 that the SMS brush has).
Will 992 polygons make the game freeze/lag whenever it's brought out? Tails does that, and it's just a texture edit of the Golden Hammer :-/

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Will 992 polygons make the game freeze/lag whenever it's brought out? Tails does that, and it's just a texture edit of the Golden Hammer :-/
I'm not sure, but I don't think it will. The Mining Light that I had made for Jigglypuff a while back had about three times as many polygons as Jigglypuff's sleep hat, and it didn't cause any graphical glitches... other than a weird lighting error when someone's out of the camera's view.

Fen__

Smash Ace
OMG MUST GO TO PAGE 22!
[image]

Wait....what?

(Try doing these sorts of announcements with post numbers; not everyone on the boards has the same settings.)
Dude, that was unnecessarily large. Try cropping screenshots so that they don't stretch the frame of the posts or at least use a thumbnail.

Also, the progress on this is excellent. I'm excited to see it moving along so smoothly and quickly.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Ripped model from Mario Power Tennis + skew correction + a few updated, higher-resolution textures from Mario Super Sluggers = ...

Looks good to everyone? The textures can always be modified later. (And it actually has 946 polygons after welding a few vertices together, not 992 as I stated earlier.)

Now, I'm really hoping to figure out the AnimTexSrt or whatever it is that would control texture animations (maybe copy the way the Smash Ball animates?), so that the rainbow paint at the end can have a palette rotation effect. That would be neat.

Fen__

Smash Ace
...You're even going for an animated brush tip? FSM, you're amazing, RTB.

xANDERssbb

Smash Journeyman
Ripped model from Mario Power Tennis + skew correction + updated, higher-resolution textures from Mario Super Sluggers = ...

Looks good to everyone? The textures can always be modified later. (And it actually has 946 polygons after welding a few vertices together, not 992 as I stated earlier.)

Now, I'm really hoping to figure out the AnimTexSrt or whatever it is that would control texture animations (maybe copy the way the Smash Ball animates?), so that the rainbow paint at the end can have a palette rotation effect. That would be neat.
OOH THATS AWSOME! mario slugers use mdlo?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
OOH THATS AWSOME! mario slugers use mdlo?
Nope, that's not even the same brush from Mario Super Sluggers -- it's the one from the Gamecube game, Mario Power Tennis... which also doesn't use MDL0s. Right now, it's just in a *.MAX format (previously *.3DR), and in a few hours I'll start manually converting it to the MDL0 format.

Matteron

Smash Ace
wait, wait, wait, you can convert .max files into mdl0?
Also, you should probably fix the texture, or else it wouldn't fit in with brawl

Fen__

Smash Ace
Nope, that's not even the same brush from Mario Super Sluggers -- it's the one from the Gamecube game, Mario Power Tennis... which also doesn't use MDL0s. Right now, it's just in a *.MAX format, and in a few hours, I'll start manually converting it to the MDL0 format.
Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to manually convert something like this? Also, why not post a general solution some time so other people can try manually converting and maybe someone write a simple program to do it? I can understand that you might be apprehensive to do this since you'll inevitably get a flood of messages and posts asking you to clarify from people who aren't savvy enough to follow it, but you're not really obligated to help further. It'd potentially open up some new possibilities while the new BrawlBox is still being worked on.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
...I am absolutely speechless.

Please, the SECOND this is a Brawl-compatable MDL0, send it to me.
Will do. For testing purposes, I'll replace the Home-Run Bat with it (the textures won't be overwritten), but by doing so you should be able to give it to any character and have them hold it properly.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to manually convert something like this? Also, why not post a general solution some time so other people can try manually converting and maybe someone write a simple program to do it? I can understand that you might be apprehensive to do this since you'll inevitably get a flood of messages and posts asking you to clarify from people who aren't savvy enough to follow it, but you're not really obligated to help further. It'd potentially open up some new possibilities while the new BrawlBox is still being worked on.
I actually mentioned how I did it a while back, after giving Jigglypuff two new hats. Lemme go find my post. Doesn't work with rigged models, only stationary ones, but it still works.

(EDIT: Here we go.)

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
Wait... I've seen models from PC games floating around in .MAX format.

TF2 characters for Brawl, anyone?

Oh, and the Capsule texture problem has an easy fix, I'll do that later. Just for anyone that still doesn't know, PSA'd brush on Jr./Shadow Mario won't have texture problems with other items.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Dude, that was unnecessarily large. Try cropping screenshots so that they don't stretch the frame of the posts or at least use a thumbnail.

Also, the progress on this is excellent. I'm excited to see it moving along so smoothly and quickly.
I made sure to crop the full screenshot to that clip so that it didn't stretch the screen, and it doesn't on my end. Try changing your forum settings?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace

It's actually just in *.MAX format because I'm using 3DS Max to get the paintbrush ready for importing into Brawl, and haven't exported it to any other format yet. But right now, my own method for converting models for Brawl doesn't include rigged models (since I don't know how the vertex weights are handled), just props, so no Team Fortress 2 characters yet. Unless you want the Civilian, that is. Hurr hurr. :B

wait, wait, wait, you can convert .max files into mdl0?
Also, you should probably fix the texture, or else it wouldn't fit in with brawl
Manually, yes. I actually have to convert it to a DAE before I can start converting it to an MDL0. And as for the texture, someone else can do that. I don't consider myself a very good texture artist...

Fen__

Smash Ace
I made sure to crop the full screenshot to that clip so that it didn't stretch the screen, and it doesn't on my end. Try changing your forum settings?
Well, I'm happy that you were considerate, but I think the width of the post frames should be the same, regardless of resolution or anything, unless you change it via forum settings (not even sure that you can). Either way, I'm using forum defaults, so I imagine I see it the way most people do.

Also, I remember that now, RTB. I guess it was just too daunting of a task for anyone else to even attempt :p.

zeno561

Smash Rookie

Oh, and the Capsule texture problem has an easy fix, I'll do that later. Just for anyone that still doesn't know, PSA'd brush on Jr./Shadow Mario won't have texture problems with other items.
Haha yeah TF2 characters would be awesome. I was actually thinking about A Dr.Hax in brawl xp Only thing I could think of was a Final Smash which is just a Giant Comet size PC falling from the sky (Or something of the sort). That would be very cool. Oh sorry for off topic reply, I already suggested in suggestion forums so no flaming please.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Would we be able to connect it to his hand (would this need a rebuilder?), or will it need to be an article?
For now, it would have to be an article, but I'm actually going to attempt to re-build the high-poly Bowser Jr. model sometime, so I'll add the brush in as well. However, there is something that I promised to help someone else with in the way of Brawl hacking, so I'll try rebuilding the model afterwards.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Ripped model from Mario Power Tennis + skew correction + a few updated, higher-resolution textures from Mario Super Sluggers = ...

awsome paintbrush

The top of the brush looks weird, looks like barts hair, i guess that can be fixed easily with vertex hack?

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
For now, it would have to be an article, but I'm actually going to attempt to re-build the high-poly Bowser Jr. model sometime, so I'll add the brush in as well. However, there is something that I promised to help someone else with in the way of Brawl hacking, so I'll try rebuilding the model afterwards.
Eh, it may be better for it to be left as an article. Weegee's doing the PSA, and he'll get it out when he needs it. Some animations/attacks would look bad with him holding a giant brush.

The top of the brush looks weird, looks like barts hair, i guess that can be fixed easily with vertex hack?

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
....I was under the assumption that he'd have the paintbrush in hand for the duration of his transformation. D: Since, his moveset would be kinda based around it.

There's also that articles handled by a character are probably harder to animate due to not having a direct reference to its position with the character in plain sight. In the future connecting it to his hand would just make things a ton easier, but for now having it as an article is good enough. :3

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I think shadow mario should have his brush out at all times, BJ can pull it out when he needs it.

dpgthirteen

Smash Apprentice
im sorry to ask but i was wondering are you still going to do the present bandana as one of the costumes or did you scrap that idea away

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
im sorry to ask but i was wondering are you still going to do the present bandana as one of the costumes or did you scrap that idea away
yeah he said 2 of them will have new style bandana

EDIT: btw I'm off to a party so i can't do anything today.
and I think Klonoa has been fixed so I may neglect Bowser jr. a bit =D
I'll spend all day tmrw working on animations (for BJ) but then i'll go back to focusing on klonoa.

Don't take me off the team though.

n64billy

Smash Ace
Oh wow! Great work TBush! =D I would have so many uses for items and such if I knew more about rebuilding the models... Is it actually hard to do, or just time consuming?

Also, InTrepid, could I be added to the team on the first page yet...? :(
Got back from work, and am most likely going to spend the rest of my night modelling my Velociraptor for tafe, so I won't start any animations for Shadow Mario yet. (I also should get the files first as well... >_<)

Top Bottom