• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Production Values and the Smash Community

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I saw a lot of great ideas (Acryte), but some problems. On jury duty, so I'll address the rest later:

1. player interviews - gotta record the interviews when everyone is at one place (at a major, when they might have a match, want to stay warm, etc.) and also rent equipment. definitely a stellar idea.
2. character breakdowns - in the process, part of that filler video, we can probably get it all down to :60
3. advanced how to play - being made.
4. metagame minute - part of the filler.

will address the rest later, but of course, we can't do this without help! please let me know if you can assist with anything.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Do you guys think that there should be videos addressing to the older smashers on saying what ever is need for those players, and then have a video explaining to the younger generation on how to get into the scene, and how to get recognized. Kind of like what i did?

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yo Prog I have Dolphin and fraps so I can record 720p for sure. I go out to sea Feb 21st though but when I hit port I will be able to upload any stuff I work on while out to sea.

I've made a couple vids before here are some examples:

Swagology 101 (good qual used my HDPVR for this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJry8dLwatQ

Up-B Walljump Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLC_cYFKTs

How Fast Is Melee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgpGBbh5r8

I can step up the quality for sure and even off of console with HDPVR the recording (ie swagology) still looks pretty good (though obv not 720p but you know). Also I'd clean up the videos and take out cursing etc.

Pretty sure I still have the project files for them so I could clean up the Up-B walljump and for How fast is melee I can fix the few discrepancies (auto cancels etc) and take out the word ****.

As far as the video ideas and stuff I can work wherever help is needed. I think one good idea might even be to map out the vids like what clips we need for them. Some vids this may not be necessary but others that have lots of different stuff in them it might help because multiple people can contribute clips to it. For a given video its clips (characters, stages, percentages, etc) could be broken down in a google doc and then when people finish them they could be submitted for review and if the quality and everything is spot on then we throw it into the vid. Then you can have some people dedicated to making the video clips and others dedicated to specifically putting the clips together into the video and adding text, transitions etc. It also increases community involvement. Some people may be more than willing to record @ 720p via fraps various clips but don't want to expend the effort or maybe don't have the know-how to actually piece it all together into the final product.... those people would be much more willing to contribute, and it also helps people concentrate on specific tasks. The vids will look more uniform/professional, we will have a larger dedicated workforce of volunteers, and noone has to feel overwhelmed by the scope of these projects, they just have to concentrate on doing their individual part.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I think you could have a whole video on jump canceling alone. Probably one of those little filler videos but jump canceling is such a central part of smash no one really discusses that it ought to have its own video. JC grab, OoS options, shine, etc.

prog

I think you could have a whole video on jump canceling alone. Probably one of those little filler videos but jump canceling is such a central part of smash no one really discusses that it ought to have its own video. JC grab, OoS options, shine, etc.
Yeah, I was thinking of it being a shorter filler video.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I was told that I missed this thread, as I've had a quite similar idea.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=15324888#post15324888

EVO is what motived my thread, though. Thus my will to do a video that would be post-able on the front page of SRK. I took the liberty to contact some of their authors already (the guys responsible for publishing news on SRK), because it seemed logical that if we want something posted on their homepage in our name, it has to follow their rules.

Our two projects would be better off by being interconnected, imho. There is content that belongs to an introduction video and doesn't belong to live streams, just like there is content that is much more interesting if it's showed as a teaser to an upcoming match like you intend to do.

Anyway, I'm here to help.

prog

What kind of music are you looking for, as far as genre subtleties or intensity?
Probably more drum and bass oriented.

Teneban, going through that thread, if you add me on facebook/skype/etc., I'd love to go over that plan with you. I haven't started scripting yet (I'm bogged down with work), but I think that whole idea is the perfect tie in, and I'd love to include that in the Bum/D1/Alukard video.

Track me down somehow, I love the idea.

Reneblade, hit me up, you know how.

prog

Update:

SleepyK is taking over the project, message him with any input, volunteers, etc. etc.

Acryte

Smash Ace
We need to get organized, there is so much that can be done, we can't expect Sleepy to do it all, lets hash out some structure to this thing and get the ball rolling

prog

We need to get organized, there is so much that can be done, we can't expect Sleepy to do it all, lets hash out some structure to this thing and get the ball rolling
There's a facebook group that is doing things behind the scenes. SleepyK is essentially Executive Producing it all, but each task has its own crew. Example:
Introducing Melee to the Traditional Fighting Game Audience:
I'll be producing it, doing cinematography. D1, Alukard, Forward, Falcomist are all assisting in script writing. SleepyK will check the scripts, give the go ahead, and I'll go ahead and get a day, rent gear and film the project.

prog

Hey, so, we're having a meeting tonight at 8:30 PM on skype. I'll be attempting to broadcast the meeting on twitch.tv/progducto

So, yeah.

prog

Next meeting...don't know, I'll post in the group and see when everyone is available. I'd love for it to be weekly/bi-weekly from here on out.

prog

Everyone likes updates!

I have two. We have a prototype of our first track! A remix of a familiar SSBM song.

Secondly, we need more script writers. Armada has volunteered to help.

prog

Update: Meeting tomorrow night, 8:40 PM EST, 5:40 PST

It'll be visible on twitch.tv/progducto again.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Just listened to the podcast, from what I heard it seems that you plan on doing the 'melee explained to FGC players' video yourself, which I'm okay with, I just wonder if you received my facebook message and if it was of any help.
Tell me if you need more, I'm not in the fb group

prog

are we facebook friends? I'd love to have you along.

Just listened to the podcast, from what I heard it seems that you plan on doing the 'melee explained to FGC players' video yourself, which I'm okay with, I just wonder if you received my facebook message and if it was of any help.
Tell me if you need more, I'm not in the fb group
I don't recall, I've been swamped lately. Mind resending it? Hell, add me as a friend, I'll toss you in the group as well and we can go over it.

prog

Melee Production Update:

Just so everyone knows what's going on.

1. Branding/graphics. We still don't have a clear cut title/youtube channel, etc. When that is done, Boback/DarkDragoon (our design guys) will make a clean logo template to be bumpers at the top and bottom of each video.
2. Music. We want to avoid copyright issues, so we're remixing music for this non-profit venture. We mostly are looking at important music to the SSBM crowd, so of course, the How To Play theme song, music from DBR combo videos etc. are in the process of being made by volunteers (big shoutouts to Zoso, Papa John and especially Bose who started this 18 hours after stating our need; https://soundcloud.com/cubandiscocrisis/broken-silence-bose-remix-wip)

Onto video content:
3. Short How To Play - 2-3 minutes, a condensed how to play video. Scripting being done by Toph/Strong Bad, which I believe is almost done? (I want to check it later.) Have to see if we are using voiceovers or all text, how far in depth. Will get a sample posted when its done. To be recorded in Dolphin.
4. Advanced How To Play - Updated version of Wak's how to play. Wak is actually working on this video with Lucien, Kirbykaze, Armada and plenty more. This is a group effort, solely for Youtube, going to be recorded in Dolphin. Not sure on length, but we will keep it interesting, have a solid table of contents, etc. This will talk about techniques and such instead of characters. Will address why later.
5. Filler video - :30 seconds-2 minutes, stream content. Character background (strengths/weaknesses/kill moves/preferred stages), player background, stage info, breaking down an advanced technique. If there is more of this you want to see during stream content, any ideas, post them in the comments. Ripple/Cubaisdeath are handling the brunt of this.
6. Tutorials - Self contained stuff. So character tutorials and breakdowns, super indepth how tos, stuff like that. These are being done by whoever wants to (Mattdotzeb is doing one for techchasing, Eggm will be revising his multishine guide, Pakman is doing a guide on low tier characters, etc.). If there is more like this you want to see, any ideas, post them in the comments.
7. Bridging the Gap - 8 minutes, based on showing how certain FGC terminology applies in Melee, so trying to pose us as a traditional fighter with different mechanics as well as introduce some of our own players to concepts they are well aware of, just under different terms. This is being done by myself/D1/Alukard, featuring Bum. Also we will be getting assistance from Forward/Falcomist and others. We have our rundown mostly done, D1 and I are looking to script...next weekend. I'm looking to rent camera equipment in April, put it all together and have it good to go by the start of May. In addition, the way I have it broken up at the moment, not only can it be the 8 minute video, but it can also be a few shorter videos for stream filler.

Taking questions, comments, exclamations, curses and hoping to quell concerns.

prog

Oh, and to clarify a couple of things:
1. Everyone is doing this pro bono. No one is being paid, I might do a kickstarter for the equipment rental, we'll see how my finances are shaping up.
2. We've got a ton of regions represented, skill levels, etc. More importantly, we've got a ton of experience. Quite a few members in the group do this kind of stuff as a day job, or are working their way to that point. We are going to put out a quality product.
3. Looking for samples? Hoping to have some soon. I'm actually looking to release a sample of a 1 minute filler over the weekend (I haven't started working on it yet). The only sample at the moment is the audio sample.

prog

Yes, the bridging the gap is one video, but who knows, it may become a series.

prog

We're attempting to do meetings every or every other Thursday. As for getting younger smashers in the community, I'd love to hear how you'd present it, etc.

Acryte

Smash Ace
are we facebook friends? I'd love to have you along.
Yea man I'll send one out, I'm not on fb much these days since I'm on Deployment in the Navy, we're out at sea for the next few months so... if I work on stuff It would have to cater to a limited internet and uploading capability. I can upload stuff every once in a while in ports but yea right now we switched to this jacked up schedule, been trying to get my grips around it. Still down to help in any way I can though, just have to figure out the best way to contribute with my limited connection and internet usage windows...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Alright I just wanted to chime in on this. http://shoryuken.com/2013/02/15/evo-2013-intros-we-need-your-help/

Has anyone submitted anything? Smash is going to need a 60 second song for when top 8 goes on stream and since remixing DBR songs is on the docket I think the first minute of the shined blind theme is epic and nostalgic, just splice in 1:25-1:35 in place of 50 sec-60 sec for a good ending, but that's just me. www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Cgi5upnRY

At the very least whoever is doing the music for this group should submit something.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Cool. Oh made that edited version of Is Melee Faster, will upload whenever I have the chance. Removed the word **** and made the text look a little nicer, threw in the autocancel and the walk off after the jab.

Top Bottom