• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Smashers from Peru - Tacna

malva00

Smash Master
lol at comparing online with console

north americans = lots of online kids

peru players = true smashers

good thing I have my youtube rules in place

DMoogle

A$

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
You know, the rule that those unfortunate enough to live in a competitive smash desert are not true smashers because they don't want to pay $200+ for travel fees (because, you know, they have priorities in life) and therefore have online smash as their only option.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman

malva00

Smash Master
Good live players tend to do some things REALLY well, but are usually lacking in skill in specific areas. Good online players tend to be more well-rounded.
The only important skills in this game are hit/combo accuracy and evasive ability, umbrella terms that include all the sub-skills (e.g., unpredictability/movement) that increase one of these. Therefore, how well-rounded a player is must wholly depend on his/her skill level in these two categories.

During online play, a player's hit/combo accuracy and evasive ability generally decrease the more delay there is. The lower hit/combo accuracy and evasive ability available online can mislead you into thinking a player is hitting/evading more/less than he/she really should be (or mislead you into thinking a player is more/less well-rounded than he/she really is).

Console play, having no delay, let's a player show his/her true hit/combo accuracy and evasive ability, so console is where player skill (or how well-rounded a player is) must ultimately be determined and compared to make a proper judgment.

This is assuming we can always accurately compare console skill A vs console skill B from videos or direct observation lol.

NOTE: Online DI HAX is not considered in evasive ability because that's not a part of the original game.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
Console Players are real players for me... Online Playes not really. There are exceptions. but a few ..
Sorry if I hurt someone's feeling but it's the truth.. T_T .

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
Note that they surely posted their best matches with the best stuff too., but they are still pretty good.
Ive seen that Tacna is a city surrounded by a desert so i guess they play so much because theyre bored lol

Sorry to tell you that they had never recorded vids before so thet got nervous and committed mistakes like killing themselves,lacking of combos... etc.
I'm trying to tell you that they really play better than the vids. At least PedroMiguelHR knows the real story.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Sorry to tell you that they had never recorded vids before so thet got nervous and committed mistakes like killing themselves,lacking of combos... etc.
I'm trying to tell you that they really play better than the vids. At least PedroMiguelHR knows the real story.
Oh, then you should travel there and record even better vids lol.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Console Players are real players for me... Online Playes not really. There are exceptions. but a few ..
Sorry if I hurt someone's feeling but it's the truth.. T_T .
Ouch - my feelings. From what i've heard it is the truth but being in year 12, friends and sports committments means I can't afford to go galloping across to melbourne to play some console smash.

With that I really want to one day, once I get hella better at the game as well. For now I stick to online play and try to get better there, and since I've never played on console before it'd be cool to see how much better I am =D

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Using an N64 controller is so good compared to nubby USB controllers. Except...the down-C on my favourite controller is really insensitive...and the control stick feels cheap...

Also, lol @ Melbourne being the center of something for once

blaze3927

Smash Ace
it would be different for us on console version because our cart is different to the other versions (mainly U) main difference being 50fps but there area few more ill write up later

DMoogle

A$
Console play, having no delay, let's a player show his/her true hit/combo accuracy and evasive ability, so console is where player skill (or how well-rounded a player is) must ultimately be determined and compared to make a proper judgment.
And this is where we disagree. IMO, there just isn't a difference so significant between 0 frames of delay and 1/2/3 frames of delay that it shouldn't be compared at all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as far as well-roundedness goes, yes, when it comes down to who will be the winner of the match, it's just a matter of those two factors you mentioned. My observation was just that they do some specific things within that umbrella of hit/combo accuracy and evasion very well, and then there were some mistakes (or, as I like to call them, concepts that were not applied) that I almost never see made between good online players. And I think a main reason for this is not the delay, but the fact that online players have access to a wider player base, and thus get to see a wider variety of style.

malva00

Smash Master
And this is where we disagree. IMO, there just isn't a difference so significant between 0 frames of delay and 1/2/3 frames of delay that it shouldn't be compared at all.
The significant difference is more easily felt the higher skill level a player has.

This is why some weaker players say "I don't feel a difference between Good and Exc/LAN."

It probably wouldn't be as significant if you weren't able to kill so easily off of one hit or throw, but then that's SSB for you.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
There's obviously a strong correlation between being good online (especially in low delay) and being good on console. But you can't really compare online videos to console videos at all. Watching a video, you never know if there are lag spikes affecting the match, and you usually don't know how much delay there is either. Given that both players are decent, you can't really say that person A is better than person B based on A's console matches versus B's online matches.

Also A$ could you point out some mistakes that you see?

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
The frame delay affects both players equally and so should really make no difference in terms of one person's ssb ability IN COMPARISON with another person. i.e. it will make you both play worse, but you'll still be able to know who is better.

tl;dr johning about and looking down on online play is pathetic and elitist.

I don't have a car, and trains are too expensive, so I can't travel to play this game. This makes me, and people like me who cannot afford to travel not true smashers? Thinking this makes you hilariously ignorant.

DMoogle

A$
The significant difference is more easily felt the higher skill level a player has.

This is why some weaker players say "I don't feel a difference between Good and Exc/LAN."

It probably wouldn't be as significant if you weren't able to kill so easily off of one hit or throw, but then that's SSB for you.
This is probably quite true, and to an extent it definitely does come down to how good a person is at x frames delay, but I still think the vast majority of good players aren't going to experience different results in their matches when the difference between what they usually play in is +/- 2 frames.
The frame delay affects both players equally and so should really make no difference in terms of one person's ssb ability IN COMPARISON with another person. i.e. it will make you both play worse, but you'll still be able to know who is better.
I used to think this, but it really isn't the same. Play on 5 frames for a long time, then switch to console. You'll play like ****, because it takes a lot of getting used to. Thus, some people play better on some delays than others.
There's obviously a strong correlation between being good online (especially in low delay) and being good on console. But you can't really compare online videos to console videos at all. Watching a video, you never know if there are lag spikes affecting the match, and you usually don't know how much delay there is either. Given that both players are decent, you can't really say that person A is better than person B based on A's console matches versus B's online matches.
I don't think it's a matter of judging console vs. online, it's just a matter of it's hard to judge one person vs. another without having them fight each other.
Also A$ could you point out some mistakes that you see?
Generally I felt like most of the players' offense was much more developed than their defense. I didn't see a lot of out-of-shield play (up-B/up-smash/jump) when it definitely would've been helpful. Very little pivoting.

One thing that was very surprising to me is the lack of use of Pika's up-tilt. It sounds noobish to just say that, but there were at least 2 spots where an up-tilt seemed like the obvious choice to me, as it would've led to easy combos/kills, but the player(s) chose different moves instead... and were not as effective.

One great thing about SSB is that you can be totally oblivious to a technique or concept, and still own. That's how intricate and complex this game is.

If it sounds like I'm criticizing, I'm not. You asked for me to point out some mistakes, so here I am. These are definitely very good players, and I'm not so sure if I would have an edge over them. I could give you a huge list of mistakes I think I make. :chuckle:

ballin4life

Smash Hero

tl;dr johning about and looking down on online play is pathetic and elitist.

I don't have a car, and trains are too expensive, so I can't travel to play this game. This makes me, and people like me who cannot afford to travel not true smashers? Thinking this makes you hilariously ignorant.
Well, first off server play does not necessarily have the same delay for both players. Also the same amount of delay might still affect players differently. This could be due to different characters, or one might simply have more experience with delay. One player might be good because he is amazing at combos, but online he cannot perform combos as well so he becomes much worse. I mean, take a ridiculous example where both players are playing with 20 frames of delay. Are the results of that going to indicate the better console player? More likely it'll just be whoever can adapt to the handicap better.

While the better console player is probably going to be the better online player, the difference between online and console is great enough that you don't really know for sure.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Good vids. I doubt they'd wipe the floor with me though. :)

I mainly play online since I have no one to play with on console. Anyone who thinks I can't compete on console though because I'm an online player should come to Orlando Florida and money match me!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol @ those tags.

"web cam sexy pretty girl on free hard sex". Give them some points for effort, Youtube.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Playing on console is so much better.
Even though I don't know what playing with 1/2/3 frames feels like, I know there's a significant recognizable difference.
My Link moves twice as fast on console than online because I don't have to think ahead about my own movement to time my button presses 9 frames beforehand.
I don't even use Fox online because I get so annoyed not being able to move as fast as a Fox on console should.

On topic: I'd get so annoyed playing against that Samus; I hate runners.
Best to play on Dreamland so less running away can be done.

Frogles

Smash Ace
Playing on console is so much better.
My Link moves twice as fast on console than online because I don't have to think ahead about my own movement to time my button presses 9 frames beforehand.
coughp2pcough

you'd get like 1-2 frames with BALLVA/darth/blowjob/boom/jaime/other people in west.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Even with p2p, I still feel a clear difference between online and console play. That was my point!

Frogles

Smash Ace
yeah RIGHT johnny-mistercat. you're feeling the difference between 0 and 9 frames not 0 and 1-2 (because you never play 1-2). >=P

asianaussie

Smash Hero
1 frame and console (or even non-online smash at 60fps) have a slight difference...but only slight. I think 1 frame p2p is pretty good, especially because everyone I play on console is either bad or a mediocre Melee player.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Lol @ those tags.

"web cam sexy pretty girl on free hard sex". Give them some points for effort, Youtube.
Lol useless tags, people who wanna watch this stuff dont click on the videos if they dont see a hot girl on the caption picture

Top Bottom