• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

kithkin

Smash Champion
hm depending on the window cover situation, i may or may not ask to get in that van for a ride to edmonton.

cause i doubt my parents will want to drive.

but may 5th? awesome.
edit: hay gays i dont think i can make it to one of the febuary ones. in case anyone cares.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
are you offering 6 seats?
Yup. I got bored and even made an image 'case there was any doubt.
The seats will go to those in Calgary first, then places further north, such as Red Deer.

I still need to find out where I'll stay once we get there as well as exact times and days of departure. It's good to plan ahead!

kithkin

Smash Champion
for now i'll claim a spot, SHOTGUN!

oh and the window situation, in case nobody got the crappy attempt at a joke, a windowless van = bad news

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
And so it shall be.

Spots are going fast! Reserve your seat now! Quanities are limitied! Time is running out! Exclusive one-time offer! Must act now! Don't delay! Opperators are standing by!

kithkin

Smash Champion
sweet, thanks, we can work out the details later i'll assume.

and no details for the next bi-weeklie?! 14th right?

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Are you guys still doing these? I'm in the SW Calagry, and me and my friend are **** fine Smah players (Or so we belive, you see everyone in the SW SUCKS) and wuld like some decent competition, if you guys are still doing this, save me and him 2 seats for the Calgary bi-weekly thing ;).

What's this Calgary to Edmonton deely?

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Say, aren't you in the SW Brad and Levi? I think you're being called out! ;)

And as for the Edmonton deal, there's going to be a Tourney on May 5th in Edmonton. Some of the best Smashers this side of the 49th parallel are going to be there, and we intend to stake our claim.

For those who can't drive or don't have rides, I'm offering seats in my van for the trip to Edmonton and back.

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Say, aren't you in the SW Brad and Levi? I think you're being called out! ;)

And as for the Edmonton deal, there's going to be a Tourney on May 5th in Edmonton. Some of the best Smashers this side of the 49th parallel are going to be there, and we intend to stake our claim.

For those who can't drive or don't have rides, I'm offering seats in my van for the trip to Edmonton and back.
Calling me out? **** dude I've been playing my friend for 3 years straight, I think I've only ever faced off against 3 people in Calgary, not including my friend, all of whom said, "What's wavedashing. Why are you sliding? How are you so fast?" Oh God I need new competition :urg:. SW Calgary- Evergreen Estates ;).

EDIT: I'll see what I can do about May 5th, you may have another seat in your van filled, depends on school and what not. Thankfully midterms will be over by then X_X. I'm only 14, I hope I won't being owning a bunch of 60 year old guys >_>

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I clairify, I meant that you are calling Brad and Levi out since they're in the SW too. ^^
But yah! May 5th is still very far away, but still... let me know as soon as possible if 'ya need a ride.

As for the tournies here in Calgary, Randall hasn't posted the offical details yet, but if it's like all the others, it will be held Jan 14th.

I would wait 'till the offical word is out before making any huge plans tho.

Look forward to playing 'ya at the next tourney! What characters to you play as?

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
I clairify, I meant that you are calling Brad and Levi out since they're in the SW too. ^^
But yah! May 5th is still very far away, but still... let me know as soon as possible if 'ya need a ride.

As for the tournies here in Calgary, Randall hasn't posted the offical details yet, but if it's like all the others, it will be held Jan 14th.

I would wait 'till the offical word is out before making any huge plans tho.

Look forward to playing 'ya at the next tourney! What characters to you play as?
I main with Marth
Falco as a second
Decent with: Ganon and Link

I'll most deffinatly use Marth if it's a tourney though... my friend will probably come to, he mains with Falco, seconds with Sheik and Link.

So is this tourney in the place listed on the front page?
"#1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW"

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely looking at many alternatives to face Mich though (Falco is not working, though my Marth has a winning record), I might give my Peach a shot...

and a person who mains Marth eh, it will be awesome to face you, as you'd be the first person I know around here who mains Marth hehe

Edit: Just watched the highlights haha, they were pretty good =]
Nice beginning too Randall xD

kithkin

Smash Champion
wait what? i dont live in the southwest, southwest sucks, i live southeast!

and i'll have you know, i am just recently (december 27th) 15, so you're not too young for anything.

also, i only played against no one, or my crappy friends who are the same, although i'm saying this so i have to add, a level 9 could probably beat them one on one every time.

wait, scratch that, level 6.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash 2007

The Pro Impact Players will be hosting bi-weekly Super Smash Bros. Melee double elimination tournaments, open to all those who want to join! If you would like to join the Pro Impact roster, all you gotta do is make an appearance in the comfort of our lovely abode at:

#1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Located in the lush green meadow of Huntington Hills, just several blocks west of Centre Street and a variety of local amenities, it sounds like an apartment, but it's actually a part of a six-piece shared housing unit that behaves more like a real house than an apartment does. Either way, it's got pretty much everything we'll need. For example:

What you need to bring:

- nothing.

You can expect a lovely new flatscreen television, a reasonable amount of couch space, four wavebirds and the option to have the matches all recorded just for kicks. :cool: I understand that many competitive players choose to bring their own controllers as well and after some wavebird-related confusion, we've resolved the issue and you are now able to easily swap out your favourite controller if you would like.

All you have to worry about is getting here. If that proves to be difficult, tell me where you're coming from and what modes of transportation are available to you and I'll attempt to direct you from there.

The structure of the smashing will be dependent on attendance, but we will most likely have enough people to at least hold a double elimination tournament and then stick around to play some friendlies to your heart's content. We do occasionally have time for a subsequent teams tournament as well.

For each bi-weekly event, we would like to have some idea of how many people will be attending before it actually happens. We don't live in a particularly large house and thankfully we don't live in a particularly large Smash community. Odds are we'll have to cap it at about 16 players so please post in this thread if you would like to attend.

If you have any general questions or questions that are not covered in the event-specific posts below, please feel free to send me an e-mail, or use one of the many convenient ways of trying to get ahold of me available on my profile. I filled out those fields for a reason, dontcha know.
:)

Additional Information

RULES

Singles

Players will be seeded randomly into a double-elimination tournament bracket. If we have an uneven number of participants, certain players will be automatically advanced in the bracket without penalty by way of a bye.

Matches will be decided based on a best-of-3 games set, wherein the first player to win two games will advance into the winner's bracket. Players entering the losing bracket are able to lose once more before being eliminated.

The final set of the tournament will be a best-of-5, wherein the first player to win three games will be declared the victor.

Game Format

• 4 Stock
  • 8:00 Time Limit
  • Items OFF
  • Friendly Fire ON

Random Stages:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land (N64)
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Pokémon Stadium

Banned Stages:
  • Brinstar Depths
  • Green Greens
  • Flatzone
  • Fourside
  • Great Bay
  • Big Blue
  • Jungle Japes
  • Yoshi's Island (N64)

• The stage for the opening game of any set will be selected randomly.
  • The loser of the previous game reserves the option to choose what stage the next game will be played on.
  • The loser of the previous game may not pick a Banned Stage, unless both players agree.

Regarding character selection...

Officially, the character selection for the opening match should be done simultaneously (as per double-blind picks) so neither knows each other's character beforehand. However, this rule is largely ignored in practicum. Nevertheless, all players reserve the right to force a double-blind pick if you're really worried about it.

Speaking of rules that we like to ignore in the spirit of communal gameplay, officially, the loser of the previous game should select the stage for the upcoming match before the winner chooses his character. This arrangement is referred to as slob picks and a full 3-game set would go something like this:

• Game 1 - Double-blind character selection; random stage.
  • Game 2
    • Loser of Game 1 chooses stage for Game 2.
    • Winner selects character.
    • Loser selects character.
  • Game 3
    • Loser of Game 2 chooses stage for Game 3.
    • Winner selects character.
    • Loser selects character.

Logistically, this doesn't work out since the stage select screen follows the character select screen in the actual game, forcing the loser of the previous game to announce the stage verbally. But again, these are the formal rules that need only come up if the player chooses to enforce them and feels that doing otherwise would detrimentally affect the outcome of the tournament. :)

LEAGUE STANDINGS

The league standings above are cumulative statistics based on the wins and losses of each player at our bi-weekly smashfests. It's fairly straightforward: once you've played a match at one of our tournaments, your name goes up on the list. If you live in the southern half of Calgary, you will be listed in the Calgary South division and if you live in the north (or downtown), you'll be put under Calgary North.

Interprovincial Guests and International Guests are for Edmonton/Red Deer/BC, etc. guests and American/Australian/Israeli/Micronesian, etc. guests attending the tournaments respectively. The per-division rankings are based on total points; 2 points are awarded for a win, 0 for a loss and 1 for losing in Sudden Death. It should be noted that although the individual rounds in the tournaments are based on sets of 3 games, the wins, losses and sudden death losses are calculated based on the individual games played.

LAG

The television that we play on is a high-definition, flatscreen unit that is brand, spankin' new. However, recently there have been many reports about laggy response times between the Gamecube and many high-definition models. More specifically, the time it takes to render your controller's inputs from your fingers to the image on the television is delayed by approximately 15 frames (or ¼ of a second). As Smash is a very time-sensitive game, this can be detrimental for skilled players.

We've managed to circumvent most of the problem. Our television actually comes with a built-in feature called "Game Mode," designed specifically to reduce lag in hyper-sensitive games like Smash! Luckily our model was new enough that the problem had been recognized prior to its release. However, I should also mention that "Game Mode" is not perfect. Instead, it's designed to reduce lag by about 60%, or so the manual says. To further improve the response time and picture quality, we have also replaced the original Gamecube's RCA cables with a 3-way composite video cable to improve overall performance. Keep in mind that there is no way to completely 100% remove the lag in this situation, and that the best way comes with a $2,000 bill that us Pro Impact Players just haven't won enough tournaments to afford. :)

PRO IMPACT BI-WEEKLY ROSTER

We've tried to establish a list based on actual gamer aliases, which is not to be confused with your in-game 4-character smash tag. For example, PC Chris is known as PC Chris, but his tag in game is simply "PC."

When introducing yourself, please let us know what your preferred gamer alias is, if different from your SmashBoards name.

This is the current roster of Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash participants:

Calgary North
  • MICH (Mitch)
  • RJM (Randall)
  • JIN (Chris)
  • BackItch (Chad)
  • DJT (Jeremy)
  • PKT (Preston)
  • DEAN (Dean)
  • Koda (Kevin)
  • Myth (Pat)

Calgary South
  • xpiritflare (John)
  • =] (Levi)
  • Kithkin (Brad)
  • NEAT (Riley)
  • Nitrocidal (Alex)
  • Seyasha ("Zane")
  • Buddyvishnu (David)
  • Infil (Ricky)
  • M (Allan)

May or may not exist....
A short list of players who have considered coming to the bi-weeklies, but they have yet to play in a tournament or with tournament participants.
  • I T I (Josh)
  • Blueinfusion (Arvind)

kithkin

Smash Champion
wow you put together quite a bit more now

and hoorah for new records of win/loss.

also, just noticed, i never get a capital. oh wait, but neither does john. woo.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
holy cow Randall, epic post full of win and awesome, along with the highlight reel.

everyone in the SW SUCK
A CHALLENGER APPEARS! If i'm not mistaken the John/Neil+friends that lurk are SW too [along with myself and my little brother]

Game 2
Loser of Game 1 chooses stage for Game 2.
Winner selects character.
Loser selects character.
Game 3
Loser of Game 2 chooses stage for Game 3.
Winner selects character.
Loser selects character.
A set [second and third matches] would go like this then:[?]
1. loser picks [anounces] stage
2. winner picks character
3. loser picks character
4. the match starts?

I should pay attention to rules more, but that's what you said but in my language right?

Calgary North
  • MICH (Mitch)
  • RJM (Randall)
  • JIN (Chris)
  • Itch (Chad)

Calgary South
  • xpiritflare (John)
  • Mariownage (Levi)
  • kithkin (Brad)
  • NEAT (Riley)
  • Nitrocidal (Alex)
IS THIS SOME RED VS BLUE? =P

Should the roster have peoples ages so new people aren't scared to **** / not knowing how old the people are that are going? If so my age is 15 currently and Riley's is 13. It's just a suggestion, like the first time i played carl; i invited him to my house and it was like "OMG WE'RE GONNA GET MOLESTED"

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahaha yeah, but thats why you're like me and can overpower people and dont look your age, it wards off things like that.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
dang, are you guys SE too? jeese why do i host stuff for south if everyone is southeast. and where the hell is alex he keeps disappearing. i hope you read this; i got to excited at walmart the other day and i spent all my money on a ds and tetris and mariokart, sorry alex continue making your 30 fps video =[ i'm a chump for nintendo products

a $2,000 bill that us Pro Impact Players just haven't won enough tournaments to afford. :)
do you want us to start paying admission fees? make it like a tournament with winnings? and a percentage goes to the tv bill or something? =S

oh hey i just realized my parents are ******* and might not provide me + riley a ride to edmonton anymore even though i asked in september and they said yes. chad mind "booking" us a spot, not confrmed or anything but this is making me "WTF ANGRY"

buddyvishnu

Smash Rookie
hey im seyasha's friend. ive seen some videos. You guys aint bad. I want in. I want to see how my skills stack up against the best in th city. Please add me to the list.

Thanx ^_^

FalseFalco

Smash Master
SHIEEEET its the first Calgary 07's!

btw Randall I'm sad they got rid of the rep system every time I read your posts

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Should the roster have peoples ages so new people aren't scared to **** / not knowing how old the people are that are going? If so my age is 15 currently and Riley's is 13. It's just a suggestion, like the first time i played carl; i invited him to my house and it was like "OMG WE'RE GONNA GET MOLESTED"
If a person really WAS up to no good, wouldn't they just lie about thier age? ;)
Incidently, I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest of this lot at 25.

Edmonton Taxi Update!

You two can sit together on account of being brothers. :p

Edit: Confirmed!

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash #7 - Jan. 14th, 2006

We will be hosting our seventh bi-weekly Smash session on Sunday, January 14th, 2006.

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at some guys, throw one of those little baby-type pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think of how crazy war is, and while they're thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."

—Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts, 1993

For review:

Date: Sunday, January 14th, 2006

Time: 1:00 PM

Place: #1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Contact No.: 869-3971

We hope to have everyone around for about 1:00 in the afternoon which will give us enough of a Sunday morning to prepare for everything. As it is in my nature to be a good host, I'll try and see to it that the environment is hospitable and no one is ever dehydrated to the best of my ability. However, you might find yourself thanking some of the original participants for that, as they have been kind enough to bring refreshments in the past. :)

The telephone number above rings straight to my cell phone from a Calgary area code and I accept calls 24 hours a day...even from total strangers...so if you find yourself having nightmares at 4 in the morning and waking up in a cold sweat because you're not sure whether you can counterpick Rainbow Cruise at the next bi-weekly or not, have no fear! Just give me a ring and I'll roll haphazardly out of bed to answer your call. Maybe.

We would like to know who is attending before 1:00 actually rolls around too as well just in case we end up trying to seat 35 people who didn't sign up in one 3-bedroom home.

So, if you would like to attend, please post here. There will be a 16 player cap on our first event (if not all) and I will post the names of the confirmed and unconfirmed attendees below. If you find that all of a sudden it's Sunday and the bi-weekly starts in half an hour but you're still on the "unconfirmed" list, don't even worry about it. Unless we already have 16 confirmed players and another 6 on the waiting list before you, I'm sure we can find space.

If there's nothing else, we'll see you all when you get here!

CONFIRMED
  1. RJM
  2. MICH
  3. JIN
  4. Seyasha
  5. buddyvishnu
  6. BackItch
  7. kithkin
  8. Mariownage
  9. Nitrocidal
  10. xpiritflare

UNCONFIRMED

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Edmonton Taxi Update!

You two can sit together on account of being brothers. :p
greatly appreciated, chad thanks a bunch, also the picture looks great .i guess the lying about ages theory works, but i was just saying how like he was saying im going to get beat by 60 year old men, he doesn't know the average age? maybe i dunno where im going with this, but chaos theory suggests otherwise

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I suck at Halo 2.

IS THIS SOME RED VS BLUE? =P
No.

The roster will be updated extensively as I gather more information about the players. I'm not entirely sure where everyone lives and what everyone's real name is, not to mention what everyone's nifty little gamer tag should be. Like Riley, do you actually want to be known as NEAT on the official roster? How about Jeremy and Preston? I'm just kind of running with what I've got so far, but I would like to know how everyone would like to have their names displayed. Not because it's important, but just for some consistency, ya know.

do you want us to start paying admission fees? make it like a tournament with winnings? and a percentage goes to the tv bill or something? =S
Certainly not, these events are free. If we were able to raise $2,000 miraculously on bi-weekly fees, there'd be way better things to spend it on than reducing our lag by a few more frames. You know...like a big tournament....

SHIEEEET its the first Calgary 07's!

btw Randall I'm sad they got rid of the rep system every time I read your posts
Me too, frankly. Recently, my supply of cheerful green boxes beside my name was on a pretty steady increase and each morning I would wake up in anticipation of a new, slightly lighter shade of green. :p

Although, it does say it's "temporary" disabling of the rep system. However, the fact that it came up so suddenly and was announced under very suspect terminology leads me to believe that I may never become famous. :)

"Due to problems with the rep system"...
"In a few weeks, we may open it up for discussion"...
and not to mention, in big bold red letters, for some reason:

do not post messages asking why the rep system is down or when it will return
Seems awfully suspicious to me. Then again, the administration of this community has never been particularly good at communicating with its members. It's almost as though there's a conspiracy, and maybe Gideon isn't really a man at all but a-

*gunshot*

*silence*

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Seems awfully suspicious to me. Then again, the administration of this community has never been particularly good at communicating with its members. It's almost as though there's a conspiracy, and maybe Gideon isn't really a man at all but a-

*gunshot*

*silence*
D: OH NO THEY GOT RANDAL!!!

What will we do? Oh the loss THE LOSS, how will we ever go on witho-is the tourney still on >_>?

hehe Admin has never been good at comunicating... maybe I should get AltF4 in here XD. He's the crazy, "old man" from my native site, www.friendcodes.com. He is the head of our IRC chtarooms, just look how crazy he is :chuckle::

Alt's Profile said:
Date of Birth:
January 20, 1980
Biography:
Go away.
Interests:
Eating babies, scaring kids, et.c.
I work at the Scotland Yard.
Canada
And in some random thread...
Spammer said:
NINTENDO IS MAKING A NEW ZELDA GAME FOR WII IF YOU GO TO WIKIPEDIA .ORG AND TYPE IN WII THEY WILL HAVE EVERYTHING ABOUT NINTENDO AND THE WII
Second post in the thread. . .

AltF4 said:
OMFG THIS NOTEWORTHY EVENT IS GREAT ENOUGH TO WARRANT AN ENTIRE THREAD IN ALL CAPS!
UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS SO NOTEWORTHY, IT WARRANTS A LOCK, IN ALL CAPS!
*Thread closed*

kithkin

Smash Champion
hah, if i wanted to piss someone off and get hit by the banning hammer, i could do it with a whim of my hand.

thankfully to myself and all of you, i do not.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
unfortunately to all of you, i do not.
Fixed.

Anyway, a little backstory on myself?

Name: Alex Cline
Profession: Kirby n00b
Quadrant: SE

Actually, I believe I'm the ONLY SE smasher, unless John and Neil are in SE.

Wow, amazing post Randall. I wanted to rep you for the Combo video one, and this one, but the first, I had already given you Rep earlier without giving it to others, and now, the Reps gone. Definetaly confirming myself for Next week.

kithkin

Smash Champion
god, again. i live SE.

in fact, alex, you are like right in between, If anything i am the only SE smasher aside from people i dont know live in SE.

god people listen to me.

also, alex, if i wanted to be banned, you'd all go hell to make it there. so trust me this is fortunate.

oh and my bio is:

Brad Jones
15 as of not even half a month ago
prof: making idiot of self, and using falco.
Quadrant: SE, SE!!!

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Well now I feel obliged to post about myself :laugh: .

Antonie (Pronounced Anthony) "Zane" Harris
I'll be 15 on Valentines Day
Occupations: Part time at Swiss Chalet, Full time Smash player

I'm in the SW with Levi and BuddyVishnu (aka DAVID), main with Marth and second with Falco.

Hope to see you guys at The January 14th tourney, I'm working out all the bugs ;).

kithkin

Smash Champion
which reminds me, i should confirm for that.

confirm of justice!

and valentines day? hehehe, that can be good and bad. but definately funny.

too bad i am on a cruise during valentines day, this is like the first year i wont be laughing at the idiots who try and fail.

well i still will be, but i lose my chance to laugh at them more cause i didnt fail. :( oh well, i'll save my first try for next year then!

Top Bottom