• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Previously I sold Smash 4 in shame of my horrible win rate. I bought Ultimate to start afresh but its going even worse!

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
First off, I want to admit 2 things. I'm very very stupid. What takes the average person a few minutes to learn can take me years. My IQ is pitiful and my reactions worse. Also I am in full admittance a snowflake. I wish I wasn't, but I'm easily upset by my failures, because I rarely succeed.

In Smash 4, I played as Robin, Wario and Wii Fit Trainer. Even after years, I couldn't even beat the easiest thing in the game, rolls. I decided I had enough, and sold the game and console to spare my emotions. Then I saw Ultimate and decided to invest in it, hoping to be on the same level as everyone else.

Nope. I'm even worse here. Everyone is a mind reader, everyone knows exactly what I'm going to do long before I do it. Everyone teabags, everyone dittos to rub the salt in. I'm just tired of losing but I don't want to admit defeat either. I want to be good at something I should enjoy, but it feels like the community wants me to quit. I'm not sure if I should just give up again and spare everyone my stupidity?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Something is missing here, its doubtful it takes years to learn. It's most likely play style and how your interpreting your opponent.

Dont get snowflakey and salty. Its pixels on a screen. Let me ask you something: why should you care at all what some random faceless person thinks of you on wifi? Dont. You dont know him. Dont give your mental real estate to anyone except yourself.

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
At the end of the day it's just a game man, in sm4sh winning or losing online doesn't really mean anything and even more so for ultimate (since online is bad to begin with). Even if you're not good now, you will get better everyone has they're own learning speeds. Furthermore, I don't think you're stupid in fact I think you're rather competent since you know why you're losing. I think you just need to focus more on your gameplay, and not let your emotions get the better of you and I'm sure you will see improvement.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Just play the game. Find a character that suits your playstyle. Practice that character and find guides for it. I you struggle in matchups, go to a discord for the character and ask how to beat them. There are also discords for every character where you can have people mentor you.

Last edited:

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Something is missing here, its doubtful it takes years to learn. It's most likely play style and how your interpreting your opponent.

Dont get snowflakey and salty. Its pixels on a screen. Let me ask you something: why should you care at all what some random faceless person thinks of you on wifi? Dont. You dont know him. Dont give your mental real estate to anyone except yourself.
Honestly I wish there was something missing but I'm genuinely very dumb. To give a real life example, I still can't tie shoelaces. To give a Smash example someone can sit on the edge of a stage, teabagging, and I'll lose to rgem because I can't find a safe way to get them years later.

I think I see how the other player is talking about me in my head when they taunt. I have watched online videos of good players loudly mocking their opponents, so I imagine that's what they're telling me too. To me, words hurt even if they're through a game. I don't go throwing controllers, I just get depressed and feel useless. I'd ignore it if I could but I still suffer bullying, even in my older age, due to my physical health affecting my looks and voice. I do have help for it, but the help doesn't come as frequent as the problem! I don't find playing against cpus satisfying, but I feel as unwelcome in most online video games as I do elsewhere - a lot of games rely on online these days so I need to find a way to fight off my stupid mindset.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
There’s a book by Daigo Umehara (from Moment #37 fame) called “The Will to Keep Winning”. This Reddit post shows some key points about the book that you might find helpful.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I want to be good at something I should enjoy, but it feels like the community wants me to quit. I'm not sure if I should just give up again and spare everyone my stupidity?
I may practically be quoting my own sig but.
Smash Is Life
If there are days we win
then there are also days we will lose
Do not be ashamed of defeat, nor proud of victory
All in all, let's
enjoy

You're not stupid.
The community doesn't want you to quit. The tea-bagging is a taunt substitute (not any better but tea-bagging is more offensive/disrespectful than it is a taunt)
I know it's hard to enjoy something if you're constantly being defeated by other players.
It can be disheartening at times but that's the nature of any competition against others.
Someone will lose. Everyone can't win. That's just not how things work.
Reevaluate what drives you to enjoy this game.
Understand why you enjoy fighting games.
I assure you it isn't for the brief high that victory can give you.

Everyone is different, but when you understand what drives your passion in smash and combat games in general, you'll understand that it isn't about winning or losing. Keep on practicing and continue doing things at your own pace. You're not here to impress anyone and you owe nothing to anyone other than yourself.

Self reflection is the first signs of improvement. The fact that you decided to acknowledge your shortcomings and ask for help is more than enough proof that you're not stupid.

Don't be discouraged

Last edited:

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
First off, I want to admit 2 things. I'm very very stupid. What takes the average person a few minutes to learn can take me years. My IQ is pitiful and my reactions worse. Also I am in full admittance a snowflake. I wish I wasn't, but I'm easily upset by my failures, because I rarely succeed.

In Smash 4, I played as Robin, Wario and Wii Fit Trainer. Even after years, I couldn't even beat the easiest thing in the game, rolls. I decided I had enough, and sold the game and console to spare my emotions. Then I saw Ultimate and decided to invest in it, hoping to be on the same level as everyone else.

Nope. I'm even worse here. Everyone is a mind reader, everyone knows exactly what I'm going to do long before I do it. Everyone teabags, everyone dittos to rub the salt in. I'm just tired of losing but I don't want to admit defeat either. I want to be good at something I should enjoy, but it feels like the community wants me to quit. I'm not sure if I should just give up again and spare everyone my stupidity?
Its just a game. Focus on fun. I totally suck at Smash and I don't care. I fire it up have some fights for an hour for fun if I win some battles that is a bonus. I found if I focused on fun more and not about winning I actually won more.

Alias Tex

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3796-7058-8396
It sounds to me like what you really want is simple: to feel 'competent' enough to keep up with the 'competent' players at smash. I really believe that that is far from being beyond your capacity, and I'll tell you why. Now, I'm no master at fighting games, but I don't have to be to tell you this: Smash wasn't made to be a 'skill test.' It is a game. I know that you have heard that a million times already, but I'll show you why that is important. Like anything, it takes focus and built up skill to play the game well. As a game, however, there are many things that can obstruct your ability to execute that without a sharp mindset. When that Dedede player gimps you with Inhale offstage at 30%, that isn't reflective of how 'the game shows that the Dedede player is twice as competent as I am because he 2-stock'd me.' What really happened was the player accidentally Inhaled instead of up-B'd, and it worked out - and now you are in the mindset of being pathetic and powerless for getting styled on. Maybe you lose to one good player who is legitimately amazing at the game and so you get tilted. From there it would be easy to lose to a player that you would beat any other day. Or maybe your opponent always rolls at the perfect time - not because they mean to. In any case, your mental competency is not something that the game is a fair judge of. Your opponent's repeated crouching may be intended to communicate mockery, but I'll bet you that the intention itself is to throw you off - which implies a certain respect of your ability. It is just a game, but you can still strive for better - just don't let the game being a game get in the way of that.

I believe that you have the potential to be a good player, and that is not just me sugar-coating my message. Anyone can. The only difference with you is that what is simply upsetting to most people playing online is for you a validation of a larger anxiety. You lost to that guy who just keeps rolling? Now you are worried that your IQ has rendered you useless. It becomes hard to put yourself into a learning mood because you are having a mental crisis. Seeing the game as being indicative of your mental capacity is probably the strongest possible way to, almost literally, let the game get to your head. So your first step is going to have to be seeing the game for what it is - and not letting your failures in a video game validate a young science's prophesy that your lifetime success in every matter will be no greater than your assigned number.

Once that anxiety is conquered (Which may take some time as that is an emotional thing) you'll truly be on the same level as everyone else. You will have to be careful not to fall back into the old mindset, as experience (which is the greatest teacher) requires repeated failure, the very evidence that your mind will use to spark anxiety. But if you can avoid that first trial, only one is left: actually getting good.

As I said before I'm no master at fighting games, but I'll leave you two pieces of advice. Firstly, don't 'autopilot.' Everyone has heard that practice makes perfect, but a more realistic variant is "practice makes permanent." If you always play the game without using all of your brain, then you are limiting your own potential permanently. It will be permanent until you practice it differently. My second piece of advice, which should help to achieve the first, is to always know what you are learning. If you are "practicing" without knowing what you are practicing, you are effectively 'autopilot practicing.' Think of yourself as a student learning instead of one being tested. When you go into a game, set a learning goal. For example, I wanted to learn how to read, so I said "I'm going to look at my opponent's character and figure out how they feel when do X to see how that affects them." If you know that about any player, than you can read anyone, so I knew that what I was learning was "how to read people."

Always have a learning goal, don't autopilot, keep your eyes on your opponent when you play, and go watch some YouTube videos to learn the fundamentals of smash. That is how to learn smash. It takes investment, and you get out of it as much as you put into it. It doesn't take an IQ of 100 or greater to do that much. For you, the only extra step you will have to take will be mindset (which everyone inevitably deals with a one point or another.) Don't underestimate yourself! I wish you luck!

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
This dude really subliminally hinted that it could take years to learn SMASH BROS? Lol, WHAT. I thought that was for the big leagues like tekken or guilty gear.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
There are several things wrong with this post that either expose it as a troll, or just don't make very much sense.
If all you ever do is fail then usually the result is that failure becomes synonymous with regularity to you, and you eventually just become numb to it. To become so upset by failure generally means you're expecting to win or succeed but it seems that is not the case so there's huge cognitive dissonance here

I don't get how you feel as though you were never worth a damn in 4 but expected to "be on the same level as everyone else" without a serious makeover in how you play. You're here asking how to get better so there very clearly was not any sort of process you attempted in order to improve beyond anything you've resorted to in the past...this line of thinking doesn't make sense.

So first I gotta ask, how on Earth do you not know how to tie your shoes? This is what makes me think you're trolling. That's like saying you don't know how to open doors, so either you're highly mentally stunted (medically) or you lived a life of immense neglect or something to this point...

Tell us, how have you generally practiced up to this point? Give us at least some context to point out where you went wrong, so that we can be convinced this isn't some kind of troll.

Beyond any of this, there's also the fact that it sounds like you have heaps more things you should be prioritizing in your life than any fighting video game.

Last edited:

Alias Tex

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3796-7058-8396
There are several things wrong with this post that either expose it as a troll, or just don't make very much sense.

If all you ever do is fail then usually the result is that failure becomes synonymous with regularity to you, and you eventually just become numb to it. To become so upset by failure generally means you're expecting to win or succeed but it seems that is not the case so there's huge cognitive dissonance here

I don't get how you feel as though you were never worth a damn in 4 but expected to "be on the same level as everyone else" without a serious makeover in how you play. You're here asking how to get better so there very clearly was not any sort of process you attempted in order to improve beyond anything you've resorted to in the past...this line of thinking doesn't make sense.

So first I gotta ask, how on Earth do you not know how to tie your shoes? This is what makes me think you're trolling. That's like saying you don't know how to open doors, so either you're highly mentally stunted (medically) or you lived a life of immense neglect or something to this point...

Tell us, how have you generally practiced up to this point? Give us at least some context to point out where you went wrong, so that we can be convinced this isn't some kind of troll.

Beyond any of this, there's also the fact that it sounds like you have heaps more things you should be prioritizing in your life than any fighting video game.
ItsASquid is being genuine. You can look through his post history, this has been going on for years. Here is a post of his from December 2016: “ I will PAY you to make me a better Smash player. I could only beat you once against your Bayo and I'm pretty sure you weren't trying. :( I am in tears right now. No matter how hard I try EVERYONE is smarter and just plain better than me. Be honest, after 2 years of trying should I give up?“

We don’t need to be accusatory.

DingaLing&Y

Smash Rookie
Literally just keep practicing bro, I fail at a lot of things too, especially math and other things like that.
But smash takes none of that, you can even have a **** reaction speed and still win, you just need to
predict what the other player is gonna do, to make it easier try to pick up on their habits, like rolling behind you a lot
or jumping, even grabbing and shielding just make sure to spot dodge. I believe In you man! :pikachu:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591

you may lose all the time but there is always hope that this time may be different, disappointment is something you never really get numb to. Also the shoe thing can be legit I have aspergers myself and some things that are simple to you could be confusing to me. Am I stupid/********? No It's just there some things I was born with getting in the way. Video games come difficult to me because a lot of times my brain takes a second to compute or adjust fast enough to beat my opponent.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
you may lose all the time but there is always hope that this time may be different, disappointment is something you never really get numb to. Also the shoe thing can be legit I have aspergers myself and some things that are simple to you could be confusing to me. Am I stupid/********? No It's just there some things I was born with getting in the way. Video games come difficult to me because a lot of times my brain takes a second to compute or adjust fast enough to beat my opponent.
Yeah, this is why I'll probably never play Smash competitively.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice

I can assure you I'm not trolling, to the point I'm happy to speak in voice-detail about it.

I played Smash on and off since Melee, only truly noticing the competitive scene at the start of Smash 3DS. I had a bad experience to start with in Anther's Ladder, so I stuck with For Glory after reading it was the "easy" option. Unfortunately I found myself constantly losing as the months rolled by. My physical health keeps me bedbound a lot - must I go into details? - so not only do I not have much better to do than to try and improve at a hobby I can access, I was limited to 3DS. Maybe I could have used Wii U too, but it was well out of my price range until near the end of Smash 4's life.

Problems were mostly the same every time so I began watching videos and tournies or reading guides. Occasionally I'd use reddit like Crazy Hand too, but I didn't want to overdo it. People often said how easy it was to punish roll spam or other things, but no matter how many games I play(ed) I couldn't do it. It was way too specific for me, and I started to get depressed at my lack of improvement at the basics. Eventually I saw some mocking videos about the 3DS for glory scene being the easiest of them all. Afraid of being stuck in one of these many videos, I noticed my win rate, tried a little longer, and around the late 2 year mark, I finally gave up.

When Smash Ultimate was announced I saw it would be pretty different, but still portable friendly, so I began saving up and watching tourney videos again to renew morale. Incineroar and the Inklings looked fun, there were changes for Robin and Wario. Fresh start! Unfortunately one of the first online matches I experienced was with a roll spammer. The easiest thing in Smash 4, back to haunt me. And one of the first things I read was how much easier roll spamming was to deal with. All downhill from there.

I wish I was joking about the shoe thing, I really do, but I doubt I could even type most of this in a readable way, without my phone's autocorrect feature. To be blunt I'm offended you thought I was joking.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to fighting games in general. You are gonna spend years getting your ass kicked until you get good enough to hold a chance. That's why normies don't get serious about fighting games. You need to back up, understand that you are gonna lose, try to win anyway, and spend the match learning. Learn everything you can. This move beats that. Dark Pit falls at this speed. All that.

Then one magical day, you will make some scrub pound sand, and you will realize you have made it.

capnbuh

Smash Rookie
My philosophy is that you win or you learn. Right now, I'm learning a lot too. LOL

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
How often do you play alone? CPUs aren't the most amazing practice, but they can help even a little bit. Spend some time using the training mode and CPUs or even just play single player modes. It won't be perfect, as CPUs and real people play way different. But if anything, it will help you learn how to use your characters.

As someone said above, unless you're playing some of the toppest tier players, a lot of stuff that looks like a good play is someone getting lucky. I've done it countless times, accidently put the wrong input but ends up looking like a stylish play. Don't let it get you down, you can and will get better.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
You also need to factor in the real reason you play online. For the gold, win lose or draw you still get a good amount of game currency for those all important Mii costumes and music soundtracks. Everyone walks away with something positive after a match.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
How often do you play alone? CPUs aren't the most amazing practice, but they can help even a little bit. Spend some time using the training mode and CPUs or even just play single player modes. It won't be perfect, as CPUs and real people play way different. But if anything, it will help you learn how to use your characters.

As someone said above, unless you're playing some of the toppest tier players, a lot of stuff that looks like a good play is someone getting lucky. I've done it countless times, accidently put the wrong input but ends up looking like a stylish play. Don't let it get you down, you can and will get better.
The majority of the time I play solo, with the odd online game with a friend. There are no local scenes, and even if there were my health keeps me from reaching them. Unfortunately that means online or busy xD

You also need to factor in the real reason you play online. For the gold, win lose or draw you still get a good amount of game currency for those all important Mii costumes and music soundtracks. Everyone walks away with something positive after a match.
My goal is to find a claim to fame from my position of poor health. I want to find something I'm good at, and show that even someone bedbound like me can still succeed. I... also want to get revenge against the teabaggers: not doing it back, but just letting them know some of their victims fight back eventually:)

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
The majority of the time I play solo, with the odd online game with a friend. There are no local scenes, and even if there were my health keeps me from reaching them. Unfortunately that means online or busy xD

My goal is to find a claim to fame from my position of poor health. I want to find something I'm good at, and show that even someone bedbound like me can still succeed. I... also want to get revenge against the teabaggers: not doing it back, but just letting them know some of their victims fight back eventually:)
The Teabaggers will never complete their mii costume collection, they will never know the joys of the woolly Yoshi hat :D

Top Bottom