• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Battlechili1

Smash Rookie
I was surprised by the amount of Krystal hate in here; I was under the impression that she was a fan favorite and that only hardcore Starfox fans hated her.

I'd love to see her in Smash Bros. personally. She's the only character left that would make sense to add from the Starfox games. Slippy is hated by many (and is rather tiny), Peppy is old and also looks odd as a fighter and Leon and Panther don't appear very much. Anyone else as far as I know is too unimportant to even be worth mentioning.

Though if she just became another Fox/Falco clone, or was even as similar as Wolf, I'd be disappointed. I'm with you guys, staff is the way to go. Its her staff, after all. I mean yeah, she uses a blaster too but....that'd be boring...

Design wise I'd be okay with any Krystal design as long as it wasn't Command's....Considering Command isn't canon in the Star Fox universe I don't see any reason for it to even be used. I think her Assault design is most likely if she does end up in the next Smash Bros, though I'd prefer her Adventures design. Or maybe something new.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'd me more worried about Slippy if it wasn't for the fact that I think Rosalina was included because she could have an amazing move set. If she was a Peach clone, I would have given up hope for Krystal. Sakurai seems to have an afinity for the older SF games, and if Rosalina was a clone, I figured Slippy would be the perfect choice to him.

Battlechili1

Smash Rookie
I'd me more worried about Slippy if it wasn't for the fact that I think Rosalina was included because she could have an amazing move set. If she was a Peach clone, I would have given up hope for Krystal. Sakurai seems to have an afinity for the older SF games, and if Rosalina was a clone, I figured Slippy would be the perfect choice to him.
That's a scary thought. I'm glad things turned out the way they did.
I had actually made a youtube video with a list of characters I'd like to see in Smash Bros in it, and one of the ones I said was Rosalina. Glad to see she wound up being in Smash, and also glad to see she isn't a Peach clone. If you see that as a sign that Krystal has a better chance due to her possibility of a unique moveset, than I'm with ya!
I mean really, no character in all of Smash Bros. currently uses a spear or staff.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Haven't had a chance to say this yet, but I definitely support Krystal. Sakurai seems to be favoring characters with unique move sets, including plenty of things we've never seen before. The Villager with a rideable projectile, the WFT with all her moves based on exercise stances, Mega Man with his ability to run while shooting projectiles and having a throwable shield, and now Rosalina with a very puppet-master-like style. That being said, Krystal certainly offers outstanding potential when it comes to individuality.
Plus, it would just be plain awesome.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I mean really, no character in all of Smash Bros. currently uses a spear or staff.
Waddle Dee and Palutena could fit those bills as well, not just Krystal.

Personally, I don't want Krystal in, but if she has a convincing moveset, then I'll play as her and try her out like the other newcomers.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Waddle Dee and Palutena could fit those bills as well, not just Krystal.

Personally, I don't want Krystal in, but if she has a convincing moveset, then I'll play as her and try her out like the other newcomers.

I think he meant in Brawl. I'm just curious, if you don't want her, why do you come in here? Anyone's more than welcome to come in here, sure. But you don't see me posting in the Isaac or Little Mac threads.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I think he meant in Brawl. I'm just curious, if you don't want her, why do you come in here? Anyone's more than welcome to come in here, sure. But you don't see me posting in the Isaac or Little Mac threads.
Can't a man be curious? ;3

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't want Krystal, but it's not like I hate her either. Anyway, that doesn't mean I can't discuss her potential or share my opinion on the matter.

I think the staff and spear movesets would be better handled by Palutena and Waddle Dee respectively, though I won't deny Krystal could have a combination of both. That would be interesting to see.

I wasn't exactly favoring Rosalina's inclusion before she was revealed, but the trailer changed my opinion, because she proved to be a good addition to the roster. Who's to say that can't happen with Krystal or any other character?

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I don't want Krystal, but it's not like I hate her either. Anyway, that doesn't mean I can't discuss her potential or share my opinion on the matter.

I think the staff and spear movesets would be better handled by Palutena and Waddle Dee respectively, though I won't deny Krystal could have a combination of both. That would be interesting to see.

I wasn't exactly favoring Rosalina's inclusion before she was revealed, but the trailer changed my opinion, because she proved to be a good addition to the roster. Who's to say that can't happen with Krystal or any other character?
I'm sure that if Krystal gets in, she'll definitely steal the hearts of millions as a character. It's just impossible for her NOT to be unique. I really don't see how she could be a clone to the other spacies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't see any Star Fox character getting in as a clone, and I don't see a more interesting play style written out for Slippy or Peppy.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If Star Fox got a newcomer, it will be Krystal

-NO ONE LIKES SLIPPY
-PANTHER WOULD BE A CLONE
-LEON WOULD BE A CLONE
-PEPPY WOULD BE A CLONE WITH BARREL ROLLS

Sakurai seems to like characters with unique movesets, Villager, Rosalina, Mega Man, Even the Wii Fit Trainer has a unique moveset. That could be what really works in Krystal's favor, she could use her staff, her blaster, the gatling gun, the grenades and the reflector, maybe with some of Fox's moves.

By the way, it's a SSB tradition for Star Fox to get one newcomer per game.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm tired of people blaming Krystal for the series decline, blaming one character for a series decline is like blaming a rock for you tripping, it's your fault for not seeing the rock.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
-NO ONE LIKES SLIPPY
I like Slippy.

I like him a lot...

By the way, it's a SSB tradition for Star Fox to get one newcomer per game.
It's also SSB tradition to add two new Pokemon characters. You think that'll happen?

SSB tradition is a bad argument....

I'm loving the enthusiasm with your support but... We don't need to start spouting stuff that's questionable. We have much better arguments to use!

I'm tired of people blaming Krystal for the series decline, blaming one character for a series decline is like blaming a rock for you tripping, it's your fault for not seeing the rock.

But the argument could be made that one wouldn't have tripped if the rock wasn't there in the first place.

Regardless... that comparison is... spotty. A better comparison would be blaming Shadow for the Sonic franchise's temporary decline. It's just as unfounded and stupid.

I agree with your sentiment though. And personally I thought they were all great barring Command, which was still okay.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I don't see any Star Fox character getting in as a clone, and I don't see a more interesting play style written out for Slippy or Peppy.

This is kind of ambiguous...do you mean that everyone will be tweaked to be non-cloney in any way or that only the characters who aren't clones will survive and make it into the game? Because its pretty certain either Falco or Wolf will return, if not both. They're way too popular competitively, especially Falco. And sometimes competitive popularity is enough. A lot of people speculate that that was the reason Falco returned in Brawl despite every other clone being cut minus Ganondorf (who is too important to be cut): he was a very popular competitive fighter along with Fox. Same applies for Sheik and Jigglypuff; Sheik didn't need to return and Jiggs almost didn't; but I think their competitive popularity made Sakurai bring them back.

Regardless, because their fighting styles are popular, who's to say he won't leave them as semi-clones?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think Krystal has a good chance, just on her skillset alone.
Fox/Falco/Wolf essentially have variants of the same moveset, based off of Adventures alone Krystal can branch away from the Blaster/Reflector/Landmaster moveset that has plagued the existing Starfox fighters.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Now that Rosalina has been unveiled, I have high hopes for Krystal. Rosalina just reinforces the notion that Sakurai is going for unique movesets with the newcomers, and Krystal's staff would fit the bill perfectly. Plus, he could incorporate some of the dinosaurs into her moveset for some extra fun. People can throw the "clone" argument around all they want, but remember, most people thought Rosalina would be a full-on clone, if not semi-clone of Peach.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Perhaps Krystal could be a kind of mix between characters like Marth, Snake, and Fox/Falco/Wolf, at least in terms of play style. Her staff could be really fast with pretty nice range, and grenades and the blaster would be used for stage control. Sounds like a considerably hard character to approach. ;P

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can see F,F&W keeping the blasters and reflectors as they're all relitivly unique and it makes sense Fox and Falco's styles are close, but the Landmasters make no damn sense. Falco has the lowest rating for Landmasters and explicitly hate the things and Wolf's team has no mothership so even if he did reverse engineer a Landmaster how would he use it?

Oh God, Krystal's gonna get a Landmaster.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I can see F,F&W keeping the blasters and reflectors as they're all relitivly unique and it makes sense Fox and Falco's styles are close, but the Landmasters make no damn sense. Falco has the lowest rating for Landmasters and explicitly hate the things and Wolf's team has no mothership so even if he did reverse engineer a Landmaster how would he use it?

Oh God, Krystal's gonna get a Landmaster.

Krystal with no staff, a blaster, reflector, boost attack, side dash and Landmaster for Brawl.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Krystal with no staff, a blaster, reflector, boost attack, side dash and Landmaster for Brawl.
Please, don't send me into that nightmare! D:
If she gets in like that, someone's going to die, and it will be by my hands.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think we will get Krystal unless she's rocking a unique move set.

BitingBaker

Smash Rookie
If the Star Fox roster HAS to come to an end with 4 characters, then hands down KRYSTAL should be the one to do it!

I just hope her moveset represents Star Fox Adventure, instead of a 4th variety of Fox's moves.

And I don't see many other popular female characters making it in (after Palutena/Medusa of course). So Krystal is a great choice.

Agreed!!! I absolutely hate that Sakurai made the 3 Starfox characters the same AND have the same final smash -.- Made it really boring.

Just put Krystal in! We need more interesting fighting styles! There is no one with a staff on Smash Bros. It would work so well *-*

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I feel like Krystal is the missing puzzle piece of this game. She would fit perfectly.

BitingBaker

Smash Rookie
Prominence? Look at Peach and tell me she did much more prior to her inclusion in Melee. Her story is deeply intertwined with Fox's (As deep as SF can get), and she is the main love interest. And honestly, even if she was only as prominent as Leon and Slippy, her popularity is MILES above theirs.

And Im not saying she doesn't have a group who doesn't like her, I'm telling you that doesn't matter. Because Sakurai doesn't care (clearly), and she her fanbase is significantly larger than her hatebase.

I'm pretty much just saying the same thing over and over again, so..

Slippy is a terrible character. He's annoying and wouldn't make a good fighter. Leon will just be a clone -.-

Nether one of those characters would be good, they have nothing going for them. WE DON'T WANT ANY MORE CLONES! >:[ You might as well just start making characters be alternate costumes of other characters. Make Falco an alternate costume of Fox with slightly different moves and he'd be the same as melee. I think it'd work ;o I mean, that's basically what Zero-Suit Samus and Samus are.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No H8. I prefer Krystal, but Slippy is cool in his own right.

We don't need a Slippy vs. Krystal debate. That just ends up being Krystal fans vs. People who hate Krystal (And pretend for 3 seconds they give a **** about Slippy)

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
We don't need a Slippy vs. Krystal debate. That just ends up being Krystal fans vs. People who hate Krystal (And pretend for 3 seconds they give a **** about Slippy)
its either your thinking too hard, or you met some really despicable people mate,
there's not many star fox fans out there who would actually defend Slippy . . .

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but even as a Starfox fan myself, I can't say that I support Slippy. I just can't really see him as a playable character. Still, he is cool in his own right, as Shortie said.
But yeah, let's not make this a Slippy vs. Krystal debate or anything of the sort.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I was reading this thread all the way back, and I'm with a headache now... I just want Krystal even it means a cut. I will be fine if Falco or Wolf (or even both) get cut for her.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
No she got man boobs. LOL
She's female.
Anyway, that's not the reason we want her in. (Contrary to popular belief, it seems...)

Aside from that completely, what weapons do you guys think she would use? Anything besides the staff, grenades, and blaster?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Crazy thought! What if Krystal swapped movesets with B down? One moveset with the Staff based off close combat and another using Star Fox Assault's weapons to focus on long range. I'll cook a potenital one up in a second.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Crazy thought! What if Krystal swapped movesets with B down? One moveset with the Staff based off close combat and another using Star Fox Assault's weapons to focus on long range. I'll cook a potenital one up in a second.
This sounds amazing.
So much individuality I'm going to explooodddeee~

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Now I think Slippy could be a really unique character. Especially if they went with the classic engineer type like the Engineer from TF2 and Heimerdinger from League of Legends. A relatively frail character but makes up with specialty zoning attacks. One move could be places a turret that shoots a weak but annoying lasers. It would be great for defending and zoning your opponent.

My only problem with Slippy is the fact he's really annoying.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok then, here's what I've got for a Krystal two stance moveset.

Krystal is in her assault design but with some flair from her adventures one and an extra holster on her back.

Adventures

B: Ice Spray: A cross between the Ice Climber's Blizzard and Bowser's Fire Breath. Krystal sprays ice continuously and can tilt it up and down. Dwindles after a while
B-Side: Ground Quake: Krystal leap forward and sticks her Staff in the ground, creating a small quake. Can aid recovery.
B-Up: Rocket Boost: Krystal shoots up into the air straight up. Has good knock back at the start and covers a lot of vertical distance but leave her vulnerable afterwards.

B-down: Weapon change: Krystal holster her current weapon (Staff to the back, gun to the hip) and takes out the other.

Assault (Note: Unlike the other SF crew, Krystal keeps her gun out and uses it in her melee attacks {like pistol whips not Mega Man type attacks}, her Smash attacks are short range charge shots)

B: Gatling gun: Fires a lot of shots in a short burst. The lasers themselves cover along distance and spread but is most effective damage wise at close range.
B-Side: Grenade: Krystal throws a grenade forward. Unlike Link's bombs or Snake's Grenades she can't hold and cook them but throws them faster to compensate.
B-Up: Jet Pack Assault: Krystal uses a jet pack to fly freely for 2-3 seconds. She can hit B to fire short range blaster shots. Doesn't cover a great distance and if hit her JP will explode.

What do you think?

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Ok then, here's what I've got for a Krystal two stance moveset.

Krystal is in her assault design but with some flair from her adventures one and an extra holster on her back.

Adventures

B: Ice Spray: A cross between the Ice Climber's Blizzard and Bowser's Fire Breath. Krystal sprays ice continuously and can tilt it up and down. Dwindles after a while
B-Side: Ground Quake: Krystal leap forward and sticks her Staff in the ground, creating a small quake. Can aid recovery.
B-Up: Rocket Boost: Krystal shoots up into the air straight up. Has good knock back at the start and covers a lot of vertical distance but leave her vulnerable afterwards.

B-down: Weapon change: Krystal holster her current weapon (Staff to the back, gun to the hip) and takes out the other.

Assault (Note: Unlike the other SF crew, Krystal keeps her gun out and uses it in her melee attacks, her Smash attacks are short range charge shots)

B: Gatling gun: Fires a lot of shots in a short burst. The lasers themselves cover along distance and spread but is most effective damage wise at close range.
B-Side: Grenade: Krystal throws a grenade forward. Unlike Link'sbombs or Snakes Grenades she can't hold and cook them but throws them faster to compensate.
B-Up: Jet Pack Assault: Krystal uses a jet pack to fly freely for 2-3 seconds. She can hit B to fire short range blaster shots. Doesn't covera great distance and if hit her JP will explode.

What do you think?
Sounds great! But I have to say that the Gatling gun shouldn't have knockback at a distance, like Fox's lasers. It would only have knockback at semi-close range. Otherwise, if the shots were to spread out in front of her and fire extremely fast and have knockback as well, that would just be absolutely broken. xP
Also, I like the idea of the recovery with her staff. What do you think about being able to use aerials out of it, like Snake can?
Then, with her staff-side-B, I always thought that the quake would be a good D-smash. But that's just me. I guess I couldn't really think of anything else for a side-B with the staff, though.

Top Bottom