• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Inklings or Dixie...

Seriously. They'd be more newcomers for who I'm not be able to get excited for. Same goes for K. Rool. Sorry to any fans of them around here but this really fails to get me hyped, at all. Like this Smash generation in general. I had my fun with this game for a while but the lack of characters I'd consider cool or at least interesting rather quickly pushed me away. Too many Mario characters, lost my main, had to settle with a new one I'm not really interested in characterwise and no story mode. So far, the majority of the DLC characters have been rather meh and if this turns out to be yet another disappointment I don't know if I'm gonna pick this game up again...

At the moment each time there's a rumor of an upcoming DLC with characters I don't want to see I'm all like

I really hope the announcement comes soon so I know if I have to wait yet another couple of months for something to finally make me believe In Sakurais decision-making ability. And yes, before you ask, I'm starting to look for more places to store the salt xD
Although the only character I care about getting in is Krystal, I still enjoy seeing more fighters that necessarily aren't what I want and imo Inkling isn't a bad choice nor is a DK rep.
I myself would probably take Dixie over K Rool, because I know I will never touch K Rool in a match since... Well, he's fat so obviously he's going to be a heavy character that I have zero interest in playing as. And I bet a lot of people will not be using K Rool in the end since nobody mains slow heavy characters, which is why I find it a bit funny that people want him the most.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
If there were any characters that i never understood the hype for, its the Inklings. Can someone explain why so many people want them
Splatoon's a brand new IP and it's hit the ground running. People are hyped over it at the moment, so people want Splatoon representation in Smash right now.

...Even though Sakurai has hesitated in the past on doing just that. If you throw a character into Smash pre-emptively and their series falls out of favor within a year or so, you end up with a roster that feels dated, and less of a collection of Nintendo's all stars because of it.

Flavius

:^)
NNID
TheEdgyOne
Inklings or Dixie...

Seriously. They'd be more newcomers for who I'm not be able to get excited for. Same goes for K. Rool. Sorry to any fans of them around here but this really fails to get me hyped, at all. Like this Smash generation in general. I had my fun with this game for a while but the lack of characters I'd consider cool or at least interesting rather quickly pushed me away. Too many Mario characters, lost my main, had to settle with a new one I'm not really interested in characterwise and no story mode. So far, the majority of the DLC characters have been rather meh and if this turns out to be yet another disappointment I don't know if I'm gonna pick this game up again...

At the moment each time there's a rumor of an upcoming DLC with characters I don't want to see I'm all like

I really hope the announcement comes soon so I know if I have to wait yet another couple of months for something to finally make me believe In Sakurais decision-making ability. And yes, before you ask, I'm starting to look for more places to store the salt xD
You haven't even been here for a week and you're already making controversial, edgy posts...

I'm so proud

Edit: Speaking of edgy, 300th post y'all

Last edited:

AceArcana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AceArcana
User was warned for this post
Inklings are from nintendo's biggest new IP in recent history and K Rool and Dixie are beloved characters from one of nintendo's most popular series, Who exactly would you consider hype? And lets not forget that this isn't all about you, they need to cater to the majority
Oh, although I'd love if it would be just about me, I sure know it isn't. Hell, I wouldn't even mind them at all if I at least would have gotten one thing I was looking forward to. Like a new story mode. Or something like Smash Run. But that didn't happen. You know, Smash on the 64 was one of my favourite games ever and with each new gen it got better and better and Sm4sh... failed. That started with the character reveals and ended when we finally got the full overview over its contents.
I somehow knew it was getting bad when :4wiifit: was announced. From there it got even worse. Man, I still remember the Rosalina reveal where the first thing you see is the starry background. I thought, 'Space? Nice, Starfox!" and then it was some of the most boring characters ever.

Of course I expected newcomers for Starfox (Krystal) and Zelda (Midna and Wolf Link, Impa) most of all and if Amaterasu would have made it as a Capcom rep I'd be happier than a pig in the mud. Didn't happen. What we got instead were clones and too many Mario characters and a bunch of other chars I couldn't believe would ever be a fighter.

I got none of the above (on the Wii U) and even lost my main, thus I grew impatient and even a bit aggravated about recent decisions regarding smash. I wish it wouldn't be like this but that's just how it is right now.

You haven't even been here for a week and you're already making controversial, edgy posts...

I'm so proud
:awesome: Thanks. Learned from the best ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Oh, although I'd love if it would be just about me, I sure know it isn't. Hell, I wouldn't even mind them at all if I at least would have gotten one thing I was looking forward to. Like a new story mode. Or something like Smash Run. But that didn't happen. You know, Smash on the 64 was one of my favourite games ever and with each new gen it got better and better and Sm4sh... failed. That started with the character reveals and ended when we finally got the full overview over its contents.
I somehow knew it was getting bad when :4wiifit: was announced. From there it got even worse. Man, I still remember the Rosalina reveal where the first thing you see is the starry background. I thought, 'Space? Nice, Starfox!" and then it was some of the most boring characters ever.

Of course I expected newcomers for Starfox (Krystal) and Zelda (Midna and Wolf Link, Impa)most of all and if Amaterasu would have made it as a Capcom rep I'd be happier than a pig in the mud. Didn't happen. What we got instead were clones and too many Mario characters and a bunch of other chars I couldn't believe would ever be a fighter.

I got none of the above (on the Wii U) and even lost my main, thus I grew impatient and even a bit aggrevated about recent decisions regarding smash. I wish it wouldn't be like this but that's just how it is right now.
I partially relate to your opinions on smash 4, the SP content really sucks in it... I kinda prefer the 3DS version for SP content since I think all of it is better on it than on the Wii U (this is really the reason why I play more on the 3DS port), which was really disappointing to me when the Wii U version was released...
And yeah I hated it when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, it just felt like a lame joke, but I grew to laugh about it and I don't really mind it anymore.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Of course I expected newcomers for Starfox (Krystal) and Zelda (Midna and Wolf Link, Impa) most of all and if Amaterasu would have made it as a Capcom rep I'd be happier than a pig in the mud. Didn't happen. What we got instead were clones and too many Mario characters and a bunch of other chars I couldn't believe would ever be a fighter.

I got none of the above (on the Wii U) and even lost my main, thus I grew impatient and even a bit aggravated about recent decisions regarding smash. I wish it wouldn't be like this but that's just how it is right now.
You mean 3 clones who were meant to be costumes and a bunch of characters from popular and relevant franchises (Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Pokemon, Xenoblade), I mean I'm just saying but I don't know why we ever expected a Star Fox newcomer for the base game

saur_ssb

Smash Apprentice
The only problem i have with the inkings is that how long will they stay relevant. I mean Sheik was in one Zelda game when she got in so the idea is there. I have no problem with current new popular picks as long as they stay relevant

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The only problem i have with the inkings is that how long will they stay relevant. I mean Sheik was in one Zelda game when she got in so the idea is there. I have no problem with current new popular picks as long as they stay relevant
The Inklings are here to stay I think... There will be more updates and at least one sequel before the next Smash I'm sure. How to know when Krystal is leaked... The tweeter goes: "I don't know about this. I'm not sure how to feel." lol

Krystal shouldn't be a surprise, but yeah, she would be. A lot of people would see it as a massive WFT style curveball.

AceArcana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AceArcana
I partially relate to your opinions on smash 4, the SP content really sucks in it... I kinda prefer the 3DS version for SP content since I think all of it is better on it than on the Wii U (this is really the reason why I play more on the 3DS port), which was really disappointing to me when the Wii U version was released...
And yeah I hated it when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, it just felt like a lame joke, but I grew to laugh about it and I don't really mind it anymore.
Well, nothing else we can do about it, right? But you see, I think the whole 3DS-port thing is the root of most of Sm4sh's problems. I really think it should have been Wii U exclusive. I am convinced that Sm4sh could have been way better if they would have been able to fully focus on the console version and used every bit of capabilites the Wii U has to offer instead of trying to make them equal.

You mean 3 clones who were meant to be costumes and a bunch of characters from popular and relevant franchises (Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Pokemon, Xenoblade), I mean I'm just saying but I don't know why we ever expected a Star Fox newcomer for the base game
I know these clones didn't take any "slots" and were meant to be like a bonus but they just felt like a kick in the gut since there wasn't one character I was looking forward to.

I wouldn't call Kid Icarus or Punchout relevant to be honest. One game since ages. Even Starfox has a more recent game. Regarding FE, I was expecting one newcomer, no doubt. Pokemon, sure. But Animal Crossing, I never expected that. I played Xenoblade, had fun but never really got why Shulk was so popular. Just another generic anime hero.

Personally I expected a SF-newcomer for some reasons. First, up to this point each game got one. Second, I considered Wolf a given so Krystal would have been the only logical choice. I would have never expected to even LOSE on rep...

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well, nothing else we can do about it, right? But you see, I think the whole 3DS-port thing is the root of most of Sm4sh's problems. I really think it should have been Wii U exclusive. I am convinced that Sm4sh could have been way better if they would have been able to fully focus on the console version and used every bit of capabilites the Wii U has to offer instead of trying to make them equal.

I know these clones didn't take any "slots" and were meant to be like a bonus but they just felt like a kick in the gut since there wasn't one character I was looking forward to.

I wouldn't call Kid Icarus or Punchout relevant to be honest. One game since ages. Even Starfox has a more recent game. Regarding FE, I was expecting one newcomer, no doubt. Pokemon, sure. But Animal Crossing, I never expected that. I played Xenoblade, had fun but never really got why Shulk was so popular. Just another generic anime hero.

Personally I expected a SF-newcomer for some reasons. First, up to this point each game got one. Second, I considered Wolf a given so Krystal would have been the only logical choice. I would have never expected to even LOSE on rep...
Well Star Fox hadn't had a game in like 8 years, we honestly should've seen it coming

Also how were punch out and Kid Icarus not relevant? I'm not quite sure what you mean, they both had games a couple years before smash 4 came out

Last edited:

saur_ssb

Smash Apprentice
The Inklings are here to stay I think... There will be more updates and at least one sequel before the next Smash I'm sure. How to know when Krystal is leaked... The tweeter goes: "I don't know about this. I'm not sure how to feel." lol

Krystal shouldn't be a surprise, but yeah, she would be. A lot of people would see it as a massive WFT style curveball.
I know if we do get Krystal that a certain player would defend her. And i do hope the inklings stay relevant for the people who like then

AceArcana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AceArcana
Well Star Fox hadn't had a game in like 8 years, we honestly should've seen it coming

Also how were punch out and Kid Icarus not relevant? I'm not quite sure what you mean, they both had games a couple years before smash 4 came out
Relevant as in number of games or years from game to game.

Kid Icarus was released in 1986 and had one sequel in 1991 (which wasn't even released in Japan). His first appearance after that was in Brawl and then in his own game (Uprising) 2012. Solid 21 years.

Punchout was released in 1984, got a sequel in 1994 and then another in 2009. Still 15 years.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I guess you could say Krystal has ZeRo support...

You're welcome
The Scarf sees what we see.
I know if we do get Krystal that a certain player would defend her. And i do hope the inklings stay relevant for the people who like then
I'm thankful professional players think of candidates in terms of playstyle and not image. Krystal has a good chance. Really does. The lack of Star Fox in recent years is no fault of her own, and in my opinion, to be blatantly compared with Falco in popularity by Nintendo is a big honor. We kinda dismiss that because it was just Command's marketing, but it's still a statement of fact. Insignificant characters aren't listed as selling points for games. The retcon claims are, as always, premature and unsubstantiated, so that's not anything to worry about either (give it a second game). :)

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
So apparently the former NoA Employee knows who's going to be the next Smash Bros. DLC character. There's also some hints, too.

1. This character is a newcomer.
2.This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
3.This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
4.This character is a first-party character.
5.This character's inclusion shouldn't be a surprise.
6.Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
7.Apparently it's a Newcomer + New Stage combo according to stealth.

What do you guys think?
Well this information is most certainly interesting, but with it comes plenty of salty doubt to spare. Nonetheless, three possible characters come to mind that fit this list of clues given to us. Those three characters are Krystal, Dixie Kong & Issac. Inklings are a possibility to, but Splatoon is still a relatively new IP for Nintendo that needs more time to flourish before it gets it's debut in Super Smash Bros. imo.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
So apparently the former NoA Employee knows who's going to be the next Smash Bros. DLC character. There's also some hints, too.

1. This character is a newcomer.
2.This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
3.This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
4.This character is a first-party character.
5.This character's inclusion shouldn't be a surprise.
6.Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
7.Apparently it's a Newcomer + New Stage combo according to stealth.

What do you guys think?
i'm trying not to get my hopes up

and yet

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I don't understand how leaks get big. You just throw in character names that a large majority of people want, pick a month that people expect news, and photoshop some pictures.

Who finds these leaks and why does everyone fall for them?
Well people fell for the Rayman leak because the art looked legit even I fell for it but I think the only reason why some fall for the fake leaks is due to having no updates or news for a long time because if I recall the Rayman leak Omni did was during the wait for Mewtwo to release so it's really no surprise all these leaks are happening due to the silence on the Ballot after it reached it's end.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
All clues that pertain to Krystal
Didnt he attack her though in that video someone mentioned not too long ago? Unless it was the other guy or someone totally different, I just remember someone being stupid over her inclusion in the main series fifteen years after she debuted.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Didnt he attack her though in that video someone mentioned not too long ago? Unless it was the other guy or someone totally different, I just remember someone being stupid over her inclusion in the main series fifteen years after she debuted.
Huh? What video? I thought this would-be leaker was staying on the down-low?

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Huh? What video? I thought this would-be leaker was staying on the down-low?
The video where one of the guys here said he fought a guy that was attacking people for supporting her, if i'm not mistaken he or the main host of the video was bashing on her with the same dead arguments fifteen years after her debut, I might be confusing him with someone else, but..

I think despite the Inklings being stupid popular and all, I really dont see them appearing as they'd most likely end up being mii gunner clones. I've seen people say they'd have an ink mechanic as they do in their game, but lets get real, such a mechanic would be near impossible as the 3DS would never handle it, plus I feel it'd be OP if it worked a certain way. I'm probably just paranoid, but I stand on that I feel they wouldnt offer anything new other than being a flashier Mii Gunner with a different FS.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I think despite the Inklings being stupid popular and all, I really dont see them appearing as they'd most likely end up being mii gunner clones. I've seen people say they'd have an ink mechanic as they do in their game, but lets get real, such a mechanic would be near impossible as the 3DS would never handle it, plus I feel it'd be OP if it worked a certain way. I'm probably just paranoid, but I stand on that I feel they wouldnt offer anything new other than being a flashier Mii Gunner with a different FS.
I'm having a hard time seeing how the squid transformation is going to work out on the 3DS when Zelda's Sheik form needed separated. In Splatoon, the inkling is supposed to be able to transform into a squid any time they wish, for however long, with or without ink. Then there's the paint problem you mentioned. Not to detract, but I can't see the 3DS handling that well either. Have you played Splatoon, Cdr? It's REALLY tough to see some of the mechanics working on the 3DS. They're actually one of my most requested characters, too. I believe they'll wind up in Smash eventually, and if we're talking now, that depends on how much Sakurai was willing to gimp their abilities. Any player will notice it, but few will actually care since they're in and that's what matters. So, yeah. I see challenges, but they're not insurmountable by any means.=P

As a small positive in her favor, Krystal has no frame rate destroying mechanics to worry about. No gimmicks that would preclude her from joining or a heavy compromise needed to make her work. She'd have room left over to go any number of creative directions that won't reinvent who she is. As a newcomer, she will be 100% time consuming as any other original fighter, but for the money we're paying these people... We should expect all original newcomers for DLC! I won't shy away from it and agree with the notion I should be thankful we're getting anything at all. I paid full price for my copy and I'm paying them for that DLC. My thanks is in the form of a $6 dollar payment. :)

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I doubt they'd be Gunner clones...but you bring up a point I haven't seen many other people consider. They'd have to have some kind of mechanic that lets them cover parts of the stages in ink; that's their whole shtick in Splatoon and any less wouldn't be true to character, something that Sakurai has seen as a deal breaker before. How much extra coding would be necessary for that? Would each individual stage have to have its code altered so that they interacted properly with the ink? Would the 3DS version have the RAM to deal with four Inklings constantly switching forms and overriding each other's territory? Would the Wii U version be able to handle it in 8 Player Smash?

It's...worth considering, and I haven't seen it brought up, you know?

Last edited:

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
After Duckhunt inclusion I think any character can join smash the inklings might not get the ink mecanic but they can still use plenty of stuff like buckets, rollers, paintbrushes, granades while I mostly support Krystal I gotta admit they've got potential as possible fresh new fighters.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
After Duckhunt inclusion I think any character can join smash the inklings might not get the ink mecanic but they can still use plenty of stuff like buckets, rollers, paintbrushes, granades while I mostly support Krystal I gotta admit they've got potential as possible fresh new fighters.
Nice pun. :smirk:

The only mental block for team Namco is how they're going to use Krystal to shill an upcoming game, which I don't think should be a factor at all in one that's supposed to let the fans "duke it out" as their favorite Nintendo characters.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I still don't get why Duck Hunt was such a surprise. He's an iconic video game character from the 80s that loads of gamers remember from their childhood. I expected it.

Top Bottom