• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
We'll see if they give Krystal a chance to be awesome somewhere. If not Star Fox, she could be awesome in Smash.

Eh, probably not for Nintendo though. The problem is that I just don't think Krystal's inclusion is necessary for Nintendo. They either had other priorities, or Krystal just isn't very necessary at all for them. We don't know, though. They'll probably never tell us why, either.
I don't think she missed the cut because they didn't care, it's for the same reason the Star Fox representation was trimmed down to two: the series hadn't been relevant for a while when the initial roster was finalized. She wouldn't've had the same "wow" factor as a character (with the moveset potential, of course) who'd been in a major game within the previous few years.

But if she's in this new game...

You're right about character inclusions in Smash boosting the interest in that particular character, though. That's why I'd like Krystal to be in Smash. People would see that she could be something more than just a "non-character". They'd also see that Miyamoto sucks at giving her "character", because Sakurai and his team would probably give something for Krystal that she's never been allowed to have in Star Fox: a freaking chance, for once.
If it's characterization we're after, maybe by a stroke of luck they could get Next Level Games to collaborate...

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
??????? Were you one of the guys they let in to play the game? If not don't jump to conclusions.

Link please.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_three_different_modes_detailed_for_star_fox_wii_u

The first, called Arwing, is classic Star Fox, and consists of an open-sky dogfight against many enemies; you can also land and transform into a tank. The second mode, Vs Wolf, is similar, but pits players against series rival Wolf O'Donnell, flying a similar ship to yours. The third, called City, put you in a helicopter flying over an urban landscape, with the GamePad screen showing a top-down view of what's below.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don't think she missed the cut because they didn't care, it's for the same reason the Star Fox representation was trimmed down to two: the series hadn't been relevant for a while when the initial roster was finalized. She wouldn't've had the same "wow" factor as a character (with the moveset potential, of course) who'd been in a major game within the previous few years.

But if she's in this new game...

If it's characterization we're after, maybe by a stroke of luck they could get Next Level Games to collaborate...
Or maybe Retro or Platinum

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Actually! She still wasn't that big of a character and not much really changed from Dinosaur Planet and SFA (If I can post a link I'll show you. I'll link it to you in skype anyway) - It's actually really fun looking at the comparisons between the two games.
In one game she was a main character and had a huge playable role. In the other game she was a Non-playable damsel (except for a very minor opening segment) who's only role was to be rescued by a different main character.

I don't see how her role could be any more different between Dinosaur Planet and Adventures.

Krystal has an entire back story that was written to support her character and develop her role in Dinosaur Planet. Saying that not much really changed between the two games is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
In one game she was a main character and had a huge playable role. In the other game she was a Non-playable damsel (except for a very minor opening segment) who's only role was to be rescued by a different main character.

I don't see how her role could be any more different between Dinosaur Planet and Adventures.

Krystal has an entire back story that was written to support her character and develop her role in Dinosaur Planet. Saying that not much really changed between the two games is just plain wrong.
From my research Krystal was... Well yeah she had a bigger role overall, but she was fairly minor still in Dinosaur Planet.

She did get captured and was needing constant rescuing.

Again you're right her role is overall better, but it wasn't by much.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Being a person who loved adventures (it's my favorite game behind the smash series) I can tell you krystal was pretty important to the story kinda....you see adventures had alot of things to do and let me explain. In the beginning of adventures the main goal was to restore dinosaur planet and well it goes pretty smooth until you get the first spell stone (fairly into the game and know there is 4 spell stones) that's when Fox is warned that krystal is slowly dieing and you must get the krazoa spirits (earlier in the game she got stuck in a massive crystal) so you do a whole bunch of getting these spirits and finally you release them to krazoa palace. Then we find out that it's a trap and while you did save her andross was awakened again. Few minutes after the final boss fight the ending happens and she joins star Fox. Yeah pretty um important but seriously great game. But she was very important in adventures.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
About the No DLC planned, I think Sakurai is so full of you-know-what, it's not even funny, I don't believe anything he says until I see it, the guy has no qualms about openly lying to the fanbase (ZSS and Clones), and constantly contradicts himself, not to mention his hubris and arrogance is infuriating, I can understand him not listening to the outrageous and unreasonable requests (Goku, Master Chief, Kratos, Shrek, Wreck It Ralph, Mickey Mouse, Sora, and Waluigi, ), but come on what about the fan requested characters that are perfectly reasonable (Krystal, King K Rool, Impa, Issac, etc.)
I'm willing to bet he's working on Wolf now as we speak.
I think one of the major problems is that Miyamoto really had no idea what to do with Star Fox after Star Fox 64, so he started relying on taking on other companies (be it their IP's, like Dinosaur Planet, or just giving their interpretation of the game like Namco on Assault) to make Star Fox games. I mean seriously, it appears he wanted to turn Dinosaur Planet into a Star Fox game just because the main character looked like Fox. That's pretty shallow reasoning, in my opinion.

Ah well. I don't have faith in Star Fox Wii U anyways. In order for my faith in Star Fox to be restored, they'll have to prove me wrong. I'm actually confident it's not going to be all that great. The developers are probably focusing far too much on the extraneous controls, so what is actually in the game will be limited. For instance, the characters will easily remain undeveloped (much to the distress of those who would like to see certain characters, i.e. Krystal, to be fleshed out). In the end, it's all up to the developers. We really have no say in the matter, especially after the fact.

The new Zelda game for the Wii U looks to be turning out quite nicely, on the other hand.

As for Krystal as DLC in Smash, I'm beginning to doubt it heavily. Tell me, what reasons would Nintendo even have to add Krystal in Smash? There's really no point. It's not like it's going to impact the marketing of Smash or Star Fox for that matter. There are people who would clamor for the games, with or without Krystal. By the end of the year, I wouldn't be surprised if I became a Krystal detractor. Ah, we'll see...

Interestingly enough, I've already moved on from Smash Wii U. It's just not very interesting. There's nothing for me beyond the face-value entertainment it holds when you play with other people. It's hard to explain, but I haven't touched it for the whole week (nor have I had the urge to even play it).
I'm already sold on the game, there's a mode where you have to fight Wolf, apparently a new robot section, you can switch between arwing and landmaster during the level sold.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_three_different_modes_detailed_for_star_fox_wii_u

The first, called Arwing, is classic Star Fox, and consists of an open-sky dogfight against many enemies; you can also land and transform into a tank. The second mode, Vs Wolf, is similar, but pits players against series rival Wolf O'Donnell, flying a similar ship to yours. The third, called City, put you in a helicopter flying over an urban landscape, with the GamePad screen showing a top-down view of what's below.
YES I WAS CORRECT!:wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf:

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've been thinking about the Orbital Gate Assault stage's codec system, and have given a bit of thought into the codecs and who is piloting the Arwings at certain times. We know that the players can only listen to these conversations if they all press ZR (or ZL, correct me if I'm wrong) and that Fox and Falco can not be on the battlefield. As we know, this is a recreation of the chapter from Star Fox Assault, but with the original Star Fox team - Fox, Falco, Slippy and Peppy. @ TheRandomCities4 TheRandomCities4 , feel free to correct me if my logic is wrong.

Let's say there are no Star Fox characters on Orbital Gate Assault at the moment when the codec plays, we can assume that Fox, Falco and Slippy are piloting the Arwings, with Peppy in the Great Fox. If Fox is in the battle, perhaps the pilots could potentially be Falco, Slippy and Peppy while Rob 64 is in the Great Fox, while the reverse applies for if Falco's in the battlefield - the Arwing pilots should theoretically be Fox, Slippy and Peppy and Rob 64 is still piloting the Great Fox. But I've been thinking about the possibility of Fox and Falco being in the battle at the same time. Who's piloting the third Arwing? If anything, I imagine Krystal would be piloting, but as pointed out, this battle is most likely a simulation with the current Star Fox team, so perhaps it's just some AI for the simulation and for the battle. Any glaring contradictions I made, feel free to correct me once again.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Well Strider, it's hard to say because it's kind of more conjecture right? This is a cross over game and so it's best to take anything in it with a grain of salt.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Being a person who loved adventures (it's my favorite game behind the smash series) I can tell you krystal was pretty important to the story kinda....you see adventures had alot of things to do and let me explain. In the beginning of adventures the main goal was to restore dinosaur planet and well it goes pretty smooth until you get the first spell stone (fairly into the game and know there is 4 spell stones) that's when Fox is warned that krystal is slowly dieing and you must get the krazoa spirits (earlier in the game she got stuck in a massive crystal) so you do a whole bunch of getting these spirits and finally you release them to krazoa palace. Then we find out that it's a trap and while you did save her andross was awakened again. Few minutes after the final boss fight the ending happens and she joins star Fox. Yeah pretty um important but seriously great game. But she was very important in adventures.
It is true. She was the catalyst to Adventures like how Zelda was in the previous Zelda games like in Link to the Past(where she was trapped in a crystal prison(allusion to Krystal here from Adventures) and Link has to rescue her or from Ganondorf's clutches in Ocarina of Time for instance. As I said before, Adventures and Assault(another game which Krystal had a important role since she is the newest member of the team) are both great games along with Starfox 64 and they are part of the Starfox canon. Even though Command had its nine endings, those were mainly fan fiction there to say the least. But at the same time, it was still a Starfox game and that shows that she along with Wolf have appeared in the same number of games from the series and has had screen time. So yes even in Command, they did play important roles no matter how you see it and with a fanbase Krystal and Wolf have. I'm adamantly sure that they'll be back in SF Wii U and they are there to styay. BTW, guys, not long ago, Miyamoto revealed at the Game Awards event several days ago that Starfox Wii U will still be coming out in 2015 and it will come out before the new Zelda Wii U game there. I have a feeling that we'll expect to hear some new information on it including a trailer at least soon for the next Direct in some way. Hopefully we'll hear more info on DLC for Smash 4 in character wise to who will be joining Mewtwo(still crossing fingers for Wolf and Krystal to be part of it).

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
I really wouldn't say Krystal was the catalyst in the adventures games like Zelda was. Really you play her for 5 minutes and don't see her again until you get your first Krazoa spirit as fox. Which is a few hours into the game even then Fox was long since committed to helping out the planet because well he was ordered to. I don't know everything about Adventures was awkward as hell and didn't make much sense.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
I really wouldn't say Krystal was the catalyst in the adventures games like Zelda was. Really you play her for 5 minutes and don't see her again until you get your first Krazoa spirit as fox. Which is a few hours into the game even then Fox was long since committed to helping out the planet because well he was ordered to. I don't know everything about Adventures was awkward as hell and didn't make much sense.
Well actually.. Technically Fox sees her image when he first lands on the Planet and Picks up her staff and she explains to him the mechanics of using it and the situation. Or he at least hears her through her Telepathy.

I would say she is a catalyst, just not completely in the same way as Zelda. She is more of a catalyst for the player than the main character at the start of the game, because the player is the first to see her become imprisoned and thus would logically form the conclusion that one of the main objectives of the story will be to save her.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Well actually.. Technically Fox sees her image when he first lands on the Planet and Picks up her staff and she explains to him the mechanics of using it and the situation. Or he at least hears her through her Telepathy.

I would say she is a catalyst, just not completely in the same way as Zelda. She is more of a catalyst for the player than the main character at the start of the game, because the player is the first to see her become imprisoned and thus would logically form the conclusion that one of the main objectives of the story will be to save her.
Like to point out he has no idea what she's even saying to him. He legit just ****s around with the stuff because it's cool :p But I get what you're saying.

Yeah, but it really doesn't turn out that way... At least not for a long time. It just doesn't sit well for me that explanation.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It's hard to believe anything Sakurai says after all of the contradicting, lying, and trolling he has done, I think there is DLC planned but Nintendo doesn't want us to know that, so they had Sakurai say that, which actually seems like something the Big N would do

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

For what it's worth, though, Nintendo has shown they're very willing to take characters that were formerly damsels in distress and expand on their character. Peach did a lot of reconnaissance behind enemy lines in the first two Paper Mario games and was an outright party member in the third and in Super Mario RPG, while several incarnations of Zelda have played important roles. Krystal's characterization may have started out on the wrong foot, but we have reason to believe it can be made broader.

It's hard to believe anything Sakurai says after all of the contradicting, lying, and trolling he has done, I think there is DLC planned but Nintendo doesn't want us to know that, so they had Sakurai say that, which actually seems like something the Big N would do
The way they said it came off more like Sakurai didn't want to associate himself with all the games that come out with day one DLC and on-disc DLC cut off from the main game and put behind a pay wall to squeeze extra money out of the customers. It'd explain the "jury's out for now" response pretty well.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I found an interesting site with a bunch of Dinosaur Planet (NOT Star Fox Adventures Beta) information:

http://rareminion.com/dp.html

Go ahead and indulge yourself if you want. It's pretty eye-opening. You'll see just how much concept was cut from the game during its transition to Star Fox Adventures.

Read all of the character bios, as well as the entire condensed story. I dare you. It will shift your paradigm on Krystal, as well as Dinosaur Planet. It certainly shifted mine.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I found an interesting site with a bunch of Dinosaur Planet (NOT Star Fox Adventures Beta) information:

Go ahead and indulge yourself if you want. It's pretty eye-opening. You'll see just how much concept was cut from the game during its transition to Star Fox Adventures.

Read all of the character bios, as well as the entire condensed story. I dare you. It will shift your paradigm on Krystal, as well as Dinosaur Planet. It certainly shifted mine.
Well, whatever this is, I bet it ought to be good.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86

Yeah that site was really good for information! Krystal's description was so "Girl powah!" it was sickening.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Yeah the actual story was legit, but Krystals was so 90s girl it wasn't even funny.
Yeah.

To be fair though, Dinosaur Planet was being made originally in the 90's... albeit it was at the tail end of the 90's.

I suppose Rareware was going for a different female character than the ones they have usually portrayed in their games (i.e. the ones in Conker's Bad Fur Day). They may have ended up trying a little too hard on the description.

Ah well. Kudos to them for the backstory being unique, though.

But if you were to look at the condensed story of the game itself, it's like the description of Krystal doesn't even match up. Which is good--she wasn't going to act like the description at least.

Hum.

The people here can fire all the shots at me they want; I honestly don't think Krystal is going to be in Star Fox Wii U at this rate. I personally find it hard to believe that the demo shown at E3 is irrelevant to the game itself, considering that the inside scoops given afterwards referred to the gameplay as having 3 different modes (so far [one being dogfight, two being Star Wolf, and three being City]).

I mean, sure, it could be a test demo and all. However, I'm going to wait for more information before I believe so.

To be fully honest: the main reason why I support Krystal for Smash is the potential she could bring (as well as for the implications on the Star Fox franchise if she were to be included, which I talked about a while back).

But...

To be even more honest...

If Nintendo sees no use for Krystal in Star Fox or Smash, I'm not going to blame them or hold them accountable. She has not really done anything in the series to warrant her as a necessary character for Star Fox--and that's why I think there are so many people against her.

HOWEVER...

The potential exists for her to be an interesting character.

It's up to Nintendo if they want to look into the potential or not.

Personally, I don't trust Nintendo with this decision, but that's just me. I don't know about you guys, though.

As it stands, I'm not investing myself in Smash or Star Fox. There really has been nothing I found that has really been worth it for both franchises, recently (for Star Fox, I'm talking about speculation). I've been playing and thinking about other games that I have found to be much more interesting.

Last edited:

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
I don't know.. If they didn't want Krystal to exist, I find it odd that they include her trophy in Wii u and 3DS. The fact that it's a trophy you have to do a task to unlock (in the wii u version) means she's not a regular trophy but a special one.. If I were Nintendo I'd disclude her trophy in Smash if I knew I wanted to disclude her from the series x)

Just cause of that, I'd like to think that she'll be in the new Star Fox. Especially, if they want Star fox to really use the Wii u's potential, if there's one player on the game pad and 4 others on the tv- Krystal would be the 5th player! :D unless they want Rob 64 to have his 1st playable appearance or bring back Kat to replace Krystal entirely but then SHE should've got a trophy in smash but doesn't. :l

How would you guys feel if Krystal wasn't in the new Star Fox game?
Krystal is the only reason why 1st liked Star Fox in the 1st place xD and my Star Fox group of friends are gonna get a ear full of complaints that I'm stuck as Slippy or Peppy when in our group I was the Krystal representative that proved she's not a poor player xD and when I played 64 before Assault, I found it boring :/ Something about playable females make series more interesting for me xD Like I understand why people dislike Peach cause all she does in the main series except two was get kidnapped. Krystal is basically Peach just not given enough playable roles for people to grow on them in my opinion. :)

So in other words, I'd find the new one boring if she's not there xD but I'm already set up for disappointment with how things went initially for Mario Kart 8 and Smash. I'm thankful for DLC.. ._.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
I don't know.. If they didn't want Krystal to exist, I find it odd that they include her trophy in Wii u and 3DS. The fact that it's a trophy you have to do a task to unlock (in the wii u version) means she's not a regular trophy but a special one.. If I were Nintendo I'd disclude her trophy in Smash if I knew I wanted to disclude her from the series x)

Just cause of that, I'd like to think that she'll be in the new Star Fox. Especially, if they want Star fox to really use the Wii u's potential, if there's one player on the game pad and 4 others on the tv- Krystal would be the 5th player! :D unless they want Rob 64 to have his 1st playable appearance or bring back Kat to replace Krystal entirely but then SHE should've got a trophy in smash but doesn't. :l

Krystal is the only reason why 1st liked Star Fox in the 1st place xD and my Star Fox group of friends are gonna get a ear full of complaints that I'm stuck as Slippy or Peppy when in our group I was the Krystal representative that proved she's not a poor player xD and when I played 64 before Assault, I found it boring :/ Something about playable females make series more interesting for me xD Like I understand why people dislike Peach cause all she does in the main series except two was get kidnapped. Krystal is basically Peach just not given enough playable roles for people to grow on them in my opinion. :)

So in other words, I'd find the new one boring if she's not there xD but I'm already set up for disappointment with how things went initially for Mario Kart 8 and Smash. I'm thankful for DLC.. ._.
It's like I said, if they wanted to get rid of her, they would have done it a long time ago and Krystal wouldn't have appeared in future SF entries after Adventures or in any of the Smash games whether as codecs or trophies. But it hasn't happened and I adamantly doubt that they are going to kill her off from the series and she is there to stay no matter what since Nintendo officially owns her. So guys, let's not overthink of this of her being written off the series. Despite everything of her being in the SF franchise, she's already established herself as a character no matter what people say and to be honest, I think she was a welcome addition to the series and I'm certain that she'll be back in SF Wii U for sure. Miyamoto and everyone at Nintendo knows better that she has a fanbase and yes there are those who hate her which doesn't surprise me. But I don't let that bother me at all. Even some other female Nintendo characters who are well-known has also received the love/hate revolving around them and Krystal is not the only one. Other female characters who tend to get this is Samus, Zelda, Peach and even Daisy to say the least and I'm not kidding. So guys, let's not overthink about this of her being written off for no reason. Let's only think positive thoughts here. Isn't that what this forum is about to not only be Krystal supporters, but to do everything to have her hopefully make it in as DLC for Smash 4 and did I forget to mention of the impending release of SF Wii U(which I'm certain we'll hear more on the game throughout 2015)?

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
I think the Samus hate didn't really happen until Other M and THE BABY! Everyone kind of liked Samus before even if she was just a silent protagonist.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
We only know of 3 characters so far in star Fox 2015 and that's Fox, Falco and Wolf....so not just yet.....

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
I think Krystal is obviously in the game though.
My mindset right now is the same as you. Why get rid of her now? But the counter argument to that is that they may of been trying to hint at it with command and 64 3D so really honestly we can only wait. :/ I just doubt she is gone. Unbelivable? No. Doubtful? Yea.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Seriously I doubt Nintendo will kill her off, Star Fox 643D was a remake that's all it was, that's like saying OoT 3D was a reboot, Command was the equivalent of a crappy fanfiction, and if Nintendo wanted to retcon her out they would have done so earlier in the franchise, but not now, she is a permanent part of the franchise now, and despite Nintendo's history of doing stupid stuff that makes us scratch our heads and wonder what the heck were they thinking, I don't think they are THAT stupid enough to remove such a popular character.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Seriously I doubt Nintendo will kill her off, Star Fox 643D was a remake that's all it was, that's like saying OoT 3D was a reboot, Command was the equivalent of a crappy fanfiction, and if Nintendo wanted to retcon her out they would have done so earlier in the franchise, but not now, she is a permanent part of the franchise now, and despite Nintendo's history of doing stupid stuff that makes us scratch our heads and wonder what the heck were they thinking, I don't think they are THAT stupid enough to remove such a popular character.
You would be surprised! I'd say she's hated as much as loved. Me, I can take her or leave her. I just don't see any character being placed into her. I get people want her to be a likable character, but my skepticism is just way too high for that to ever happen.

I really don't mind if they keep her as "Fox's girlfriend" or whatever, as long as there's some character and emotion behind it, and really what was the last Nintendo made game that had either of those elements? And I do mean Nintendo, not like Monolith or a second party.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Agreed. They know that she has a fanbase. Even Miyamoto is aware of it. So why write her off for good and the same with Wolf? That's like killing Peach and Bowser off from the Mario series or killing Zelda and Ganondorf off from the Zelda series. Despite the haters, there will be always those who really love these characters. I doubt that they are going to be written off. I see that Krystal's loved more from the fans than being hated.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I really don't mind if they keep her as "Fox's girlfriend" or whatever, as long as there's some character and emotion behind it, and really what was the last Nintendo made game that had either of those elements? And I do mean Nintendo, not like Monolith or a second party.
Skyward Sword did a hell of a job making the player feel for Link and Zelda. So it's...not out of the question at all.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Krystal is generally liked among the Star Fox fanbase, it's only the vocal minority who hate her, and their reasons for hating her are generally stupid reasons, I can understand, not liking her because of her poor character development, but using her as a scapegoat for the decline of the franchise is just dumb

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
No it was clear Nintendo really had no idea what the hell they wanted to do with Starfox after 64. If I can I'll try to find them saying how they were already out of ideas. Which is kind of ****ty because you can still have an on rails shooter be good. We've seen it time and time again - Look at the Panzer Dragoon series for one.

Top Bottom