• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty cool combo I found :).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Allright. So, in NinjalLinks video vs the pika he does a particular set up that I enjoy. For all purposes, I will call this the NL set-up.

What he does:
When he had two bannana's out vs the pika in the beggining he ran at pika while holding a bannana. Right before he got there he glidetossed backwards and threw the bananna up. He then grabbed the nana at his feet and glidetossed forward while throwing the nana forward. When pika tripped he ran forward and grabbed him, then used bthrow.
I hope you understood that, because it is a VERY useful set-up for many reasons. One of those reasons is the combo I just found. I will let you play around with other stuff using the NL set-up.

The combo:
Ok, so I only practiced this against MK so the timing might be different and it might be more effective ect against other characters.

So here it is:
NL set-up your opponent. When you grab them, throw them backwards and time it so that they hit the falling nana. This gives you enough time time catch them with the end of a dash attack out of the nana stun. That leads into fair.

This combo does 43% in training mode, but that is off so it would probably be around 45-47%. There are many variations that you can do out of this. Dair instead of fair for example.

This will take some practice to get the timing right for throwing them into the falling nana (and you want it to hit them away from you, not towards you though if it does hit towards its a free grab) and hitting with the right part of the dash attack, as well as knowing how far apart you should be from the grounded nana before you glidetoss them.
Start practicing :). This is how ypu guys should be thinking and practicing. Set-ups, forced positions, positional advantage, defensive rushdowns, traps, combo's, movement. This is what you need to learn to start pushing diddy to the next level.

I am going to open your eyes.

CO18

Smash Hero
I have a feeling that when it's all said and done, Diddy will be the broken char of this game.

Dunno why..

Anyway, I may be picking him up, so I'll practice this. Thx

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Upon backthrowing the opponent into the banana, it would also be possible to pick up the banana you threw directly at the opponent to get the grab. To help with keeping the opponent locked, you could glide toss towards where you threw the opponent, then dash attack, which pops them up into a position for a fair, or even a dair, and depending on their DI from the Dair, they could end up slipping again.

But I get it now. This combo should work until a very high percent, seeing as the falling banana will stop the knockback from the back throw, the only thing this really depends upon is the dash attack and the way it pops the opponent into the air.

Timing the backthrow would just take practice. And I'll definitely practice it for myself.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
the set up is very clever
the up thrown banana i believe can be very distracting and increase chances of the 2nd banana
great find

what kind of range of % will this combo work you believe? dash attack to fair doesnt combo after quite low %

Trapt497

Smash Ace
This sounds like an amazing combo, but at the same time, it sounds extremely hard to pull off/time. It wouldn't be easy at all to back throw into the falling banana, would it?

Of course, though, I'm going to practice this because this sounds awesome if I could learn how to pull it off.

IDK

Smash Lord
what if you rethrew the first banana after the bthrow (up) then grabbed them after the banana hit and repeated. would this work? it could be like an infinite for as long as the bananas last. kind of like naner wall infinite... i don't know. i like ur combo but i think they can airdodge catch the banana or even punish you with a nair by picking up and hitting you at the same time if it's ROB or someone with a slow attack.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
what if you rethrew the first banana after the bthrow (up) then grabbed them after the banana hit and repeated. would this work? it could be like an infinite for as long as the bananas last. kind of like naner wall infinite... i don't know. i like ur combo but i think they can airdodge catch the banana or even punish you with a nair by picking up and hitting you at the same time if it's ROB or someone with a slow attack.
I'm pretty sure they are still in stun when they hit the nana. It's right after the throw.

And vyse has the right idea :). Experiment. There are lots of things you can do with this :).

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'm pretty sure they are still in stun when they hit the nana. It's right after the throw.

And vyse has the right idea :). Experiment. There are lots of things you can do with this :).
if i ever play you again in person...im calling right now that we do no diddy dittos. they're so bad :laugh:

gonna use him in tourney at all?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
if i ever play you again in person...im calling right now that we do no diddy dittos. they're so bad :laugh:

gonna use him in tourney at all?
Yes, I plan to use him a lot :).

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I've got a pretty bad *** combo, but it's only if you can perfect the banana chain grab. I can't get it to be unescapable, if it really is. Pretty much glide toss glide toss run up to them and glide toss down so they trip, turn and grab/jab. When they break and slip, regrab/jab.

saberhof

Smash Master
I have a feeling that when it's all said and done, Diddy will be the broken char of this game.

Dunno why..

Anyway, I may be picking him up, so I'll practice this. Thx
no he sucks...seriously....>_>.,...<_<...

>_>....

and i knew this, but only as a mindgame, not really as a combo...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
the set up is very clever
the up thrown banana i believe can be very distracting and increase chances of the 2nd banana
great find

what kind of range of % will this combo work you believe? dash attack to fair doesnt combo after quite low %
Are you sure?
Because I've had the dash attack => Fair combo work wonders for me plenty of times regardless of percent (Y'know, I wouldn't expect this to work after +120% but yeah).

Maybe I'm wrong : /
I'll look into it this afternoon (Yes It's 12:20pm right now for me).

Trapt497

Smash Ace
and i knew this, but only as a mindgame, not really as a combo...
Its sounds like both a mindgame and a combo to me.

Are you sure?
Because I've had the dash attack => Fair combo work wonders for me plenty of times regardless of percent (Y'know, I wouldn't expect this to work after +120% but yeah).

Yeah I agree...I bet the dash attack doesn't hit them out of f-air range until a pretty dang high percent. Did you test it yesterday vyse?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah I agree...I bet the dash attack doesn't hit them out of f-air range until a pretty dang high percent. Did you test it yesterday vyse?
I mucked around with this combo yesterday, managed to do it up a few times in training mode (****, brawl training mode rocks compared to Melee training mode). The timing against Metaknight isn't that hard.

The combo relies on a few things I've found.

1. The distances of the bananas relative to the opponent.

This is because the window in which to initiate the backthrow to hit the falling banana changes otherwise, and it's reasonably significant.

2. The dash attack.
Upon messing around with it, I've found that depending on whether or not you hit with the last hit of the dash attack, can alter the knockback caused by the attack. You'll note that sometimes with the dash attack, you won't cause little knockback with the dash attack, and this is dependent on whichever hit of the dash attack is the last one to hit the opponent.

If it's not the last one, enemies, even at a 140% - 150% damage range can be 'popped' up into the air, in range for a Fair. It's simply a matter of being quick enough to capitalise on this.

All in all, this is a reasonably viable set up. Assuming that you've got the timing down, and that the second glide toss hits the opponent, they shouldn't be able to escape it (easily).

IDK

Smash Lord
note: just messing around and it's probably known but a similar set up is glide toss up right so you're right in front of them and grab (works better if you shoot a peanut first causing them to shield or sidestep) then you can upthrow into the banana, and if it hits low enough, you can follow with an uair, or even another naner to uair. if the naner hits them REALLY low (like right above your head), you can uthrow a second naner then grab them and f throw and follow up.

ADHD

Smash Hero
This is extremely situational IMO because, it's hard to get this set up, but you've inspired me to experiment like this, thanks.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
This is a true combo, yes? I've attempted something similar before but wasn't able to perfect it. Thanks for the information.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
Are you sure?

im talking about >40~ pretty much , maybe less maybe more
you have to guess him right to hit after because the stun isnt enough

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
The best part about this is that even if they shield the banana, you can still get the grab

Akashi

Smash Lord
I see a lot of people using dash attack -> fair (I'm a fan of dair, myself), but does anyone use dash attack -> utilt? I use this 90% of the time, because it's great for setting up aerials or picking up/taking out a nanner. It can also kill at high %s obviously, and I use it mainly so my fair doesn't get stale when I need it. :<

Count

Smash Champion
I see a lot of people using dash attack -> fair (I'm a fan of dair, myself), but does anyone use dash attack -> utilt? I use this 90% of the time, because it's great for setting up aerials or picking up/taking out a nanner. It can also kill at high %s obviously, and I use it mainly so my fair doesn't get stale when I need it. :<
There's tons of people that do this, especially at lower percents where you can juggle. I tend to use upsmash more than uptilt in those situations but I am gonna start using utilt more.

Top Bottom