• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

President Iwata Passes Away..

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

More Incredible heart from Quas-quas *sniffle* Why does all this Iwata art have to hit you in the feels ;~;

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

This is so lovely.

Thanks to everyone involved in showing love and support!

D

Deleted member

On July 11th, 2015 (and for North and South America, July 12th), Satoru Iwata, former CEO of Nintendo, died after a long battle with his bile duct tumor. With Iwata's death marks the end of an era not only in video games, but also a phase in life. Tens of millions of people, myself included, are now reminded of a harsh reality. Everyone will eventually perish after a certain period of time. The things that we all own and use inevitably will decay. Life is short and fragile as it could end at any moment. Iwata's passing is a foreshadowing of what is to come; many times in the future, gamers will come together to mourn the loss of a favorite in the video game industry. But as it is a time of grief and sorrow, this is also the chance to celebrate the life he left behind.

Over the course of his lifetime, Satoru Iwata has made numerous accomplishments in both programming and business. "Mother 2", known as "EarthBound outside Japan, was a complete mess back in 1993. As the president of HAL, Iwata could have deemed the project unsalvageable and scrapped the game. Instead, he ordered that the game throw out its programming and start over, working long nights and weekends to save the game. This is also the man that allowed Super Smash Bros. to become a reality. Iwata convinced Sakurai to demonstrate to Miyamoto that Super Smash Bros. was a viable concept despite Miyamoto initially turning down the idea. That demonstration was why Miyamoto said "yes" and thus the series was born. Game Freak was having issues with putting Kanto in Johto and thought it was impossible. Iwata's programming genius took hold as he created compression tools that made Kanto a reality in Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal. It shall not be forgotten that Iwata took over as president of Nintendo in 2002. This was the same man that presided over the Nintendo Wii and DS; both of whom are Nintendo's best-selling consoles. He also saved the Nintendo 3DS when it had a very poor start. It is because of Iwata that Mother, once again known as EarthBound internationally, has a fan base, why Super Smash Bros. even exist, how Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal practically have a new game after Johto is beaten, why Nintendo is still making consoles, and it doesn't stop there.

But it is important to be reminded that Iwata is not a demigod. Like everyone else, Iwata has also had to fail to get to where he was. There's little doubt that the Wii U is a disaster in almost everything except the quality of the first-party games; showing that even a genius CEO is susceptible to failures. But this man has accomplished extraordinary, seemingly impossible feats as a human being. Not because of some talent he was blessed with at birth, but because Iwata worked extremely hard and intelligently, sacrificed a lot to accomplish his goals, and was dedicated to seeing works through. Iwata's death isn't just an opportunity to honor his incredibly difficult feats, it is also a chance to realize that we are capable of achieving extraordinary, almost supernatural feats if we decided today to let nothing hold us back.

Satoru Iwata's impact on tens of millions of people cannot be denied. So many people, myself included, were impacted by the work Iwata has done on the video game industry. Without him, many people would not be gamers, let alone the people who decide to work in the video game industry. During his fifty-five years of life, he had achieved almost inhumane successes. Yet these accomplishments were works of someone like us, showing that hard work and sacrifice can make incredible feats possible. This is proof that humans can and do perform amazing feats if we believe in ourselves. I know for a fact that after being reminded of what Iwata has done, that there is nothing that should stop me from reaching my full potential and that goes for everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
On July 11th, 2015 (and for North and South America, July 12th), Satoru Iwata, former CEO of Nintendo, died after a long battle with his bile duct tumor. With Iwata's death marks the end of an era not only in video games, but also a phase in life. Tens of millions of people, myself included, are now reminded of a harsh reality. Everyone will eventually perish after a certain period of time. The things that we all own and use inevitably will decay. Life is short and fragile as it could end at any moment. Iwata's passing is a foreshadowing of what is to come; many times in the future, gamers will come together to mourn the loss of a favorite in the video game industry. But as it is a time of grief and sorrow, this is also the chance to celebrate the life he left behind.

Over the course of his lifetime, Satoru Iwata has made numerous accomplishments in both programming and business. "Mother 2", known as "EarthBound outside Japan, was a complete mess back in 1993. As the president of HAL, Iwata could have deemed the project unsalvageable and scrapped the game. Instead, he ordered that the game throw out its programming and start over, working long nights and weekends to save the game. This is also the game that allowed Super Smash Bros. to become a reality. Iwata convinced Sakurai to demonstrate to Miyamoto that Super Smash Bros. was a viable concept despite Miyamoto initially turning down the idea. That demonstration was why Miyamoto said "yes" and thus the series was born. Game Freak was having issues with putting Kanto in Johto and thought it was impossible. Iwata's programming genius told hold as he created compression tools that made Kanto a reality in Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal. It shall not be forgotten that Iwata took over as president of Nintendo in 2002. This was the same man that presided over the Nintendo Wii and DS; both of whom are Nintendo's best-selling consoles. He also saved the Nintendo 3DS when it had a very poor start. It is because of Iwata that Mother, once again known as EarthBound internationally, has a fan base, why Super Smash Bros. even exist, how Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal practically have a new game after Johto is beaten, why Nintendo is still making consoles, and it doesn't stop there.

But it is important to be reminded that Iwata is not a demigod. Like everyone else, Iwata has also had to fail to get to where he was. There's little doubt that the Wii U is a disaster in almost everything except the quality of the first-party games; showing that even a genius CEO is susceptible to failures. But this man has accomplished extraordinary, seemingly impossible feats as a human being. Not because of some talent he was blessed with at birth, but because Iwata worked extremely hard and intelligently, sacrificed a lot to accomplish his goals, and was dedicated to seeing works through. Iwata's death isn't just an opportunity to honor his incredibly difficult feats, it is also a chance to realize that we are capable of achieving extraordinary, almost supernatural feats if we decided today to let nothing hold us back.

Satoru Iwata's impact on tens of millions of people cannot be denied. So many people, myself included, were impacted by the work Iwata has done on the video game industry. Without him, many people would not be gamers, let alone the people who decide to work in the video game industry. During his fifty-five years of life, he had achieved almost inhumane successes. Yet these accomplishments were works of someone like us, showing that hard work and sacrifice can make incredible feats possible. This is proof that humans can and do perform amazing feats if we believe in ourselves. I know for a fact that after being reminded of what Iwata has done, that there is nothing that should stop me from reaching my full potential and that goes for everyone else.
That's the most touching thing I've ever heard :crying:

D

Deleted member

That's the most touching thing I've ever heard :crying:
This was something that I wrote up in about ninety minutes to two hours but I took a day and a half break from the Internet to comprehend Iwata's death. I'll have to admit, yesterday was a pretty good day. Now I'm back to normal and ready to return to writing for Source Gaming.

D

Deleted member

Decided to go through the thread at least once.

@Neo Zero Great signature. I had to include Ness & Lucas from that GIF as my avatar.

“The president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has passed away. He was my former employer, but even when my situation and location changed, he was always the most understanding [of me and my work]. A hard worker and a virtuous man, he always supplied me with quick, fair guidance. I believe that he was the greatest leader I could have imagined. May you rest in peace.”- Masahiro Sakurai
How did I not mention this in my eulogy to Iwata that Sakurai, my favorite developer, wrote this? Sakurai clearly got his fantastic work ethics from Iwata.
I'd never actually cried from a famous person's death, but this officially did it. Through Nintendo Directs and the like he has made such a presence. People always made fun of him, but I always enjoyed his presentations, as well as I very much appreciate the fact that they were because of him.

He was far too young to pass away. My heart goes out so much to his family and friends.
Same here. I think this is because for the first time, someone that's had an impact in my life to a certain extent is gone forever. That was why I had to leave the Internet for a day and a half and I'm glad I did because at the very least I now know to an extent the pain of death.
It makes a sad situation even sadder. And for a few, myself included, look back in hindsight at remarks made at E3 and wish we could take it back. Even if we simply didn't know better at the time, like we thought that Iwata would be with us for years, decades even, before retiring peacefully...not taken like this.

This one thing you mentioned will be haunting many a gamer for some time.
Dang, this made me remember the rage fit I threw after the Digital Event. Now I feel like garbage for it. :sadeyes:
Shigesato Itoi (creator of Earthbound) posted his thoughts on Satoru Iwata's passing. Very touching. ;~;

Source: http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/123972769941/shigesato-itois-farewell-to-satoru-iwata
I'd liked to invite everyone to read PushDustIn's tweet as well (thought don't quote it in here).
What a great picture. It touches upon an idealistic yet unreachable belief that a lot of us would love to share. Had I still been a Christian, I would have believed Iwata was in heaven as well. Maybe he is... if there's a benign god ruling over this universe.
Seriously though, I've been holding back tears for so long, so many times that almost completely broke me. I didn't go to bed until 5AM, and only slept for a few hours.

lol.

I'm probably not the only one that laughed at this.
Finally, a very Mother-specific fan art. My read through the entire thread has been fully justified. Every single Mother fan art honoring Iwata will get a like from me.
Hey, Speedwagon here.....

I only came to say that i asked Chronobound if he could make an write-up about Iwata.
All he said was 2 things:
-1.He's been very busy lately, so it could take him a while(i told him he could use all the time he wanted/needed)
-2.He asked me where he should post it.

I gave him a link to the Roy social thread and this thread i case he wanted to do so, (im not sure if he's going to do it, but im gonna be hopeful) meaning if he's going to do so, it's going to be in either this thread and/or the Roy social thread.If he doesn't, i'll understand his feelings about not wanting to talk about something so tragic.

Hope you don't mind and sorry if i did something wrong.
I just want to add that I am a very close friend with him and know him personally. I was the one who broke the news to him Sunday evening shortly after I found out. For very personal reasons I'd advise to not bother him at the moment.

More Incredible heart from Quas-quas *sniffle* Why does all this Iwata art have to hit you in the feels ;~;
Whoever remembered Lolo & Lala deserves to be commended. Iwata worked on one of those games back a long time ago. Now I actually want to see them in Smash...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm actually an atheist myself, but I consider the idea of heaven a symbol of sorts.

------------------

I feel like I got some people's hopes up with a certain something yesterday, and I was able to do it - a friend of mine was heading to Nintendo World, so I had him write a message at the Iwata memorial:

"Thank you for the guidance, memories, and countless matches in Smash Bros that we wouldn't have without you."
-Users of Smashboards

Shoutouts to @Nomein for doing this.

memorial1.jpg
memorial2.jpg
memorial3.jpg

D

Deleted member

I just want to add that I am a very close friend with him and know him personally. I was the one who broke the news to him Sunday evening shortly after I found out. For very personal reasons I'd advise to not bother him at the moment.
I understand, i also want to say good job for the wonderful post you did in honor of Iwata.Took the words right out of my mouth.

Remember people, that playing games is not about having Super Mega HD graphics or an Ultra profound story.

It's about having FUN. Fun for everyone.

F is for the friends and families that that play and love Games.
U is for the union that those games have created between us.
N...... is for Nintendo.

Thanks for making Nintendo so much fun Iwata.Thank you so much.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Remember people, that playing games is not about having Super Mega HD graphics or an Ultra profound story.

It's about having FUN. Fun for everyone.
I think it's important to note that everyone's idea of "fun" is different.

It isn't fair to say "gaming isn't about this or that, it's about fun". Those two things you mentioned can be fun for people.

Iwata encouraged Super Mario 3D World, a multiplayer game with HD graphics that the entire family could have fun with without interruptions.

But he also encouraged Super Mario Galaxy, a non-HD (albeit still very pretty) game that made for a good experience for people who were on their own, and added Rosalina and the Lumas and all of the profound story elements that touched so many people, and people finally got a Mario character that legitimately made them feel things without resorting to headcanons and what not, and people like to have fun by discussing the character and those story elements.

Both games represented very different things despite being part of the same franchise. But both are still really fun. Though not everyone will necessarily find both, or even either, fun.

The real meaning of "Nintendo makes games that are fun for everyone" isn't saying that every single Nintendo game is going to be fun for every audience. It's just to say that Nintendo will aim to make sure everyone has a Nintendo game that they find fun in some form.

The reason the phrase is meaningful, is because other companies aim for games that are "ambitious", "epic", "badass", etc - all of these "mature" buzzwords that are pretty shallow and often harder for people to define for themselves.

However, people can easily identify what they find "fun". It's a natural feeling, after all. That's why Nintendo tries to make games that are fun to all of these different audiences, because everyone deserves to have fun in whatever way they prefer, be that jumping around without a care in the world, or by carrying the emotional baggage of a party of characters on their shoulders.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it's important to note that everyone's idea of "fun" is different.

It isn't fair to say "gaming isn't about this or that, it's about fun". Those two things you mentioned can be fun for people.

Iwata encouraged Super Mario 3D World, a multiplayer game with HD graphics that the entire family could have fun with without interruptions.

But he also encouraged Super Mario Galaxy, a non-HD (albeit still very pretty) game that made for a good experience for people who were on their own, and added Rosalina and the Lumas and all of the profound story elements that touched so many people, and people finally got a Mario character that legitimately made them feel things without resorting to headcanons and what not, and people like to have fun by discussing the character and those story elements.

Both games represented very different things despite being part of the same franchise. But both are still really fun. Though not everyone will necessarily find both, or even either, fun.

The real meaning of "Nintendo makes games that are fun for everyone" isn't saying that every single Nintendo game is going to be fun for every audience. It's just to say that Nintendo will aim to make sure everyone has a Nintendo game that they find fun in some form.

The reason the phrase is meaningful, is because other companies aim for games that are "ambitious", "epic", "badass", etc - all of these "mature" buzzwords that are pretty shallow and often harder for people to define for themselves.

However, people can easily identify what they find "fun". It's a natural feeling, after all. That's why Nintendo tries to make games that are fun to all of these different audiences, because everyone deserves to have fun in whatever way they prefer, be that jumping around without a care in the world, or by carrying the emotional baggage of a party of characters on their shoulders.
I do undstand where you're coming from, and i apologize if it sounded like an absolute fact.

I do think that a story that engages you through the game and a beautiful presentation make a games all the more enjoyable, after all, i love the lore of the Zelda series and Colorful and charming art style that Wind Waker bought to said series.

However, whenever i talk about something in my life, i almost always speak from my perspective (including the post you quoted) and as such, for me, the "fun" i have with the gameplay will always be the most important aspect about a game,everything else just makes that experience all the more sweet.

If you have any disagreeements with my view, it's okay, im not good at expresing myself sometimes.

I suggest instead of talking about what makes a game "Fun", let's honor Iwata's long lasting legacy by talking about how much we loved the games he has worked on.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I do undstand where you're coming from, and i apologize if it sounded like an absolute fact.

I do think that a story that engages you through the game and a beautiful presentation make a games all the more enjoyable, after all, i love the lore of the Zelda series and Colorful and charming art style that Wind Waker bought to said series.

However, whenever i talk about something in my life, i almost always speak from my perspective (including the post you quoted) and as such, for me, the "fun" i have with the gameplay will always be the most important aspect about a game,everything else just makes that experience all the more sweet.

If you have any disagreeements with my view, it's okay, im not good at expresing myself sometimes.

I suggest instead of talking about what makes a game "Fun", let's honor Iwata's long lasting legacy by talking about how much we loved the games he has worked on.
I'm not exactly disagreeing with your personal view (for the most part, I believe fun gameplay is the most important thing for a game). I just think we should remember that, most things really can be fun to someone in the world, and we shouldn't forget that. To you, story might be a bonus, but to others, it might be the foundation of what makes a game fun. It can certainly make "after activities" surrounding the game fun, and I think Iwata thought so too (in relation to anything - I just use storytelling as an example). He encouraged all different kinds of games after all, from the simple Kirby to the complicated Earthbound.

https://youtu.be/nxyQ99zm6Qg
(If someone else has already posted this to the thread please let me know.)
I appreciate this video, but it does have quite a few mistakes.

Iwata didn't create Gen 2, for example. He compressed all of the game's code and assets enough to fit the Kanto region into the game.

The game would have came out and been successful without Iwata's efforts. He made it even more memorable, though.

I'm all for appreciating his work - as long as it's work he actually did do.

Last edited:

BustinKappas

Content Creator
It's been a long time since I was here. I think it's been about 5 years actually, but I thought you would all appreciate this. Please let me know what you think, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'm seeing a lot of talking points go back and forth in this thread. I thought it'd be the epitome to highlight a sentiment that I see time and time again when legendary people die.

Let's take a moment to remind ourselves that people, especially those whom the dead have touched the hearts of, are extremely prone to hyperbole and conflating details out of proportion in the aftermath of their deaths.

Legends like Iwata are proof that any human can ascend to godlike heights of merit. As such, people tend to clasp back the lens of his work scope to the point of dis-acknowledging the nameless ordinaries, whom without we wouldn't even have our games to begin with. Iwata's presumed responsible for just about every facet of the project even if he had nothing to do with it, because his efforts remained the most dedicated.

I do admire some posters addressing this behavior. But let's keep people's emotions respected and refrain from resorting to correction until this wave of grief has tided over. People are prone to irrationality. But it's not like they mean it down to their truths.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm seeing a lot of talking points go back and forth in this thread. I thought it'd be the epitome to highlight a sentiment that I see time and time again when legendary people die.

Let's take a moment to remind ourselves that people, especially those whom the dead have touched the hearts of, are extremely prone to hyperbole and conflating details out of proportion in the aftermath of their deaths.

Legends like Iwata are proof that any human can ascend to godlike heights of merit. As such, people tend to clasp back the lens of his work scope to the point of dis-acknowledging the nameless ordinaries, whom without we wouldn't even have our games to begin with. Iwata's presumed responsible for just about every facet of the project even if he had nothing to do with it, because his efforts remained the most dedicated.

I do admire some posters addressing this behavior. But let's keep people's emotions respected and refrain from resorting to correction until this wave of grief has tided over. People are prone to irrationality. But it's not like they mean it down to their truths.
I agree to an extent, but there is a point where I think corrections are valid. Like, saying "Iwata ended World War II" (extreme, hypothetical example) is going really overboard.

Not that anything that's been said has gone that far, but I do think it's fine to correct people on a bigger piece of misinformation, like saying he made Gen 2 all by himself. I won't correct small discrepancies, but the way I look at it, I figure most people don't mind being corrected, since you're just learning the truth about the great man, and anyone who looks up to him can appreciate the knowledge. Plus, Iwata himself was honest, modest even. Even in times that were tough.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just wondering, have they finished recording the new Nintendo Direct that is supposed to happen in August?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I kinda want Iwata to have prerecorded a message to us fans telling us to please understand that Nintendo will be fine without him. If he actually did that I would cry again.
I would also cry.

Say, I made a poem about Iwata. You guys want to see it?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would also cry.

Say, I made a poem about Iwata. You guys want to see it?
Sure, go ahead.

As I've mentioned in the news thread, I would have liked to meet Iwata myself. But seeing as how most of the events he attended were not open to the general public, I guess that woulda been impossible :c

Still, I felt really connected to him, especially with all those Directs. He made me feel like family.

I will not be sad anymore. I will be happy and enjoy the wonderful games he has helped create.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sure, go ahead.
Here goes nothing.

--------
You were a great kind of person
One who we will not forget
What it is that you left behind
Will never leave us one bit

You were good at your job
And you cared much about fun
And many of us who will miss you
Are thankful for what you've done

You are now in a better place
Up high in the bright, blue sky
Why did you have to die so soon
I just can't help but wonder why

You were involved with great games
And you had pushed Nintendo through
The tough times and the good times
You've done so much good, it's true

A person who cared so much
About giving good games to us all
Such a person is not common
So it is a shame to see such one fall

You were also much too young
For you to leave this world now
But even though you are gone
We won't forget you, no matter how

So rest in peace, Satoru Iwata
You'll always be in our hearts
You may no longer live any longer
But your great legacy will never part
--------

So, what do you guys think?

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
Mr. Satoru Iwata is a great man, hard worker and exceptional person. Thank you so much for all wonderful things that you gave us.

Mr. Iwata Thank you so much for all wonderful games and for all your hard work and for gave me such wonderful experience in my childhood which I will never ever forget. Rest in Peace Iwata you will be miss and you always be in our heart and you always be our heroes forever once again Thank You.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Seeing Iwata pass made me all the more thankful for today knowing I have made it 17 years so far a lot of people in this world pass way before their time and he was one of those people and I will keep him in mind when people are wishing me happy birthday thank you Iwata! :sadeyes:

Sol Squid

Smash Cadet
The art that people have made for Iwata is beautiful. We shall never frorget this magnificent man. The day where we forget him is the day we forget our childhoods, and all of the fun we have had.
RIP Satoro Iwata. We shall not forget you.

D

Deleted member

I decided to look for the earliest game Iwata has worked on, and i found this:

It's called Star Battle, released for the commodore vic-20 in 1981, it was based on galaxian, a game commodore had the license to, but only in Japan, it was taken off the market because of this, and as such, it's somewhat hard to find.

Hidden in the game there's this:
THIS PROGRAM WAS
WRITTEN BY
- SATORU IWATA -
APR.19.1981
HAL LABORATORY
AKIHABARA
TOKYO JAPAN

Talk about obscure.

Top Bottom