• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare Yourself!

Taste

Smash Apprentice

Prepare Yourself! Is the series of Brawl/Melee monthlies that are run in Calgary AB out of the University of Calgary. Presented by Taste aka Ben.​

The Upcoming Schedule is as follows. Smashfests are free, while Tournaments require a $5 Door fee and a 5$ per game (Brawl or Melee) entry fee. If you can provide a setup (Wii/GC and/or TV) for tournaments and smashfests please do so! Tube TVs only please. You'll also need to provide your own controller for our events.

Next Event Poster

Upcoming Schedule

All tournaments/smashfests are at UofC on Saturdays from 10-6!

May 5th – Cassio A/B - Free Smashfest
May 12th – That Empty Space - Doubles Tournament
June 16th – Escalus - Free Smashfest
June 23rd – Cassio A/B - Tournament
July 21st – Cassio A/B - Tournament
August 11th – Cassio A/B - Tournament

Directions:
Tournaments take place in their respective conference rooms at Mac Hall, University of Calgary.
Google Map
If arriving via Transit, depart from the University Station.

Rules

BRAWL RULES

3 Stocks

8 Minute Time Limit

Items set to "Off" and "None"

Pause set to "Off"

All infinites and chain grabs are legal.

The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

If for some reason your match goes to sudden death, DO NOT PLAY IT. Instead: a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage.

BRAWL STAGES AND PROCEDURE
Starters
Battlefield
Castle Seige
Final Destination
Lyat Cruise
Pokemon stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Pokemon stadium2
Rainbow cruise
Frigate Orpheon
PICKING A STARTER STAGE
If you both want to play the same stage to start, feel free to do it. Otherwise:

1.) PLAYER 1 STRIKES 2 STAGES FROM THE LIST OF STARTER STAGES
2.) PLAYER 2 STRIKES 3 STAGES FROM THE LIST OF STARTER STAGES
3.) PLAYER 1 STRIKES 1 STAGE FROM THE LIST OF STARTER STAGES
4.) THE REMAINING STAGE IS PLAYED

COUNTERPICKING A STAGE
If you’ve lost a match, it’s time to counterpick a stage!

1.) PLAYER WHO WON DELCARES ONE STAGE FROM THE LIST OF STARTERS AND COUNTERPICKS THAT THEY BAN. THIS STAGE CAN’T BE COUNTERPICKED AGAINST THEM.
2.) PLAYER WHO LOST CHOOSES ANY STAGE OTHER THAN THE BANNED STAGE. THE NEXT MATCH IS PLAYED THERE. YOU CANNOT CHOOSE A STAGE YOU HAVE ALREADY WON ON AGAINST THE OPPONENT YOU ARE FACING UNLESS THEY AGREE!
2.) PLAYER WHO WON THE LAST MATCH NOW CONFIRMS OR CAN CHANGE THEIR CHARACTER
4.) PLAYER WHO LOST THE LAST MATCH NOW CONFIRMS OR CAN CHANGE THEIR CHARACTER
5.) BEGIN!

CONTROLLER PORT PRIORITY: GIVES A SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO A PLAYER WHEN A MATCH HAS A CHARACTER WITH EXPLOSIVES, LIKE LINK SNAKE AND TOON LINK. IF THIS IS A CONCERN, DO ROCK PAPER SCISSORS TO DETERMINE WHO GETS THE 4TH PLAYER PORT WHICH IS THE BEST. WHEN YOU LOSE A MATCH YOU CAN ALSO ASK TO GET THE 4TH PLAYER PORT.

EXAMPLE OF PORT PRIORITY: SNAKE (P2) is grabbing SAMUS(P4) when one of SNAKES grenades explodes at their feet. Since SAMUS has priority, the grenade will send SNAKE flying, and SAMUS will just take damage but not move.

MELEE RULES

Items are set to off.

Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.

Regular sets are best of 3 matches.

The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.

Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.

Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.

Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).

Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

MELEE STAGES AND PROCEDURE
Starter Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

PICKING A STARTER STAGE
If you both want to play the same stage to start, feel free to do it. Otherwise:

1.) PLAYER 1 STRIKES 1 STAGES FROM THE LIST OF STARTER STAGES
2.) PLAYER 2 STRIKES 2 STAGES FROM THE LIST OF STARTER STAGES
3.) PLAYER 1 STRIKES 1 STAGE FROM THE LIST OF STARTER STAGES
4.) THE REMAINING STAGE IS PLAYED

COUNTERPICKING A STAGE
If you’ve lost a match, it’s time to counterpick a stage!

1.) PLAYER WHO WON DELCARES ONE STAGE FROM THE LIST OF STARTERS AND COUNTERPICKS THAT THEY BAN. THIS STAGE CAN’T BE COUNTERPICKED AGAINST THEM.
2.) PLAYER WHO LOST CHOOSES ANY STAGE OTHER THAN THE BANNED STAGE. THE NEXT MATCH IS PLAYED THERE. YOU CANNOT CHOOSE A STAGE YOU HAVE ALREADY WON ON AGAINST THE OPPONENT YOU ARE FACING UNLESS THEY AGREE!
2.) PLAYER WHO WON THE LAST MATCH NOW CONFIRMS OR CAN CHANGE THEIR CHARACTER
4.) PLAYER WHO LOST THE LAST MATCH NOW CONFIRMS OR CAN CHANGE THEIR CHARACTER
5.) BEGIN!

Past Results

Video Archive
Adding soon.

Questions or comments? e-mail me at bennerthanever@hotmail.com.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Hyyyype! Doubles tournament on the 12th! Who da bess team in Calgary?!

Rush

Smash Apprentice
YESSSSSSSSS. I'll help out if needed. I'm definitely bringing a recording setup. I'll also bring melee+cube+mem if needed.

Hukster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hukster
Can't wait to actually go to one of these, and I hope the Calgary Smash scene will get larger. :p

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Interesting. Hopefully Edmonton makes their way down to one of these soon.
But when does the thing start? I see it says 8am - 4pm at the top, but that seems so early :o

Taste

Smash Apprentice
OOOOHHH. Well, apologies everyone, looks like I had to set it to Mountain time. Man I don't even wake up at 8 haha. Yea event runs 10-6.

Asa

Smash Hero
would you be extending the times if there are more people? how many setups do you have?

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Extensions are a possibility, I'll post here if I'm able to get any.
I think we have 6 setups atm, but its easy to get more we just need tvs.

-Added past results.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Guys. Fair warning, the name of this tourney is undoubtedly cursed.

Please do not use this name. You can use any other variation. Like, "Ready oneself!" or "This tournament is not named 'Prepare Yourself!', seriously, that'd be a cursed and idiotic idea!"

sauc3

Smash Lord
i remember attending this tournament. You should have actually seeded by region and skill (like normal), and done normal rules with proper stocks, and started bracket before 9pm, and not done single elim.

what a great tourney...

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Guys. Fair warning, the name of this tourney is undoubtedly cursed.

Please do not use this name. You can use any other variation. Like, "Ready oneself!" or "This tournament is not named 'Prepare Yourself!', seriously, that'd be a cursed and idiotic idea!"
Unfortunately we are restricted to Ike quotes. So that leaves like 'I fight for my friends' 'Aether!' and 'YYYYEEEAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!'

I'd love to hear more about this legendary curse and the necessary steps we can take to protect ourselves.

i remember attending this tournament. You should have actually seeded by region and skill (like normal), and done normal rules with proper stocks, and started bracket before 9pm, and not done single elim.

what a great tourney...
This series just started Feb. 14th. You must be thinking of the cursed one.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Told ya you needed a name change hahah. Actually either of 'I fight for my friends' 'Aether!' and 'YYYYEEEAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!' would be fine xD or "You'll get no sympathy from me"?

Taste

Smash Apprentice
I have zero problem changing it but we need something that sounds suave. Suggestions?

Maybe I'll ask ppl at the tourney saturday

The Dangerzone

thats all I got atm lol

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
maybe i will be able to bring a tv, that all depends on if tyson can drive me there.
it actually is not that bad of a trip but no tv on the bus or train

KillLock

Smash Lord
Could you make a confirmation list for people showing up on the 21st? Thanks.

Top Bottom