• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Premium Membership

Would you purchase Premium Membership?

• Yes

Votes: 189 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 86 29.2%
  • I would only want to purchase a name change for $2.50

Votes: 20 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
The administration and MLG want to hear the users' opinions about Premium Membership!

Why Premium Membership?
In the past, Smashboards.com has offered premium membership in exchange for perks such as ad-free browsing and custom titles, in order to pay for server costs. However, our new partnership with Major League Gaming means that if the idea receives a warm response, we may be able to bring back the program in a brand new way.

What kind of benefits will Premium Users receive?
We have come up with a tentative list of perks which we think members will find attractive.
  • 3 name changes a month
  • Custom title
  • A mushroom icon
  • The Return of Reputation
  • A new and distinct usergroup color
  • Access to the Premium VIP Lounge
  • an @smashboards.com e-mail address
  • Change up to 10 people's user color for 30 days to a color to be chosen later [Cannot be done to Staff]
  • Embed videos
  • REASONABLE Suggestions are welcomed!
  • Bigger PM Inbox

How much will Premium Membership cost me?
We haven't settled on a final pricing scheme yet, but we're looking at anywhere from $5 to $15 for memberships up to one year in length. We want the price to be both affordable and appealing to a majority of members.

What will the membership fees go towards?
The money from Premium Membership will go to sponsoring official SWF tournaments! Tournament directors will be able to apply to recieve support and prize money for their events.

We'd love to hear what you have to say about the idea, whether you love it or hate it, or have any suggestions that would make you more interested in supporting it.

Remember, your voice counts!

Please remember that we are not promising anything, we are merely trying to decide whether the demand for Premium is enough to warrant bringing it back.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I would probably purchase it if I could... do you have any idea how payment would work if this were to happen?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
@illin

3 name changes a month sounds way more than needed IMO. I doubt a lot of people would even use it once. It could also end up with users playing pranks by changing their names to imitate others, but I'm not completely sure how these name changes work.

Question/Suggestion: Would the ads disappear?

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I guess I should change the suggestions part to "reasonable suggestions."

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to disable the ads :(

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah but if 20 people want their 50 name changes, that's 1000 name changes we have to do just for twenty people.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm with this for the custom title. =P

Also, will the PM storage work the same as the last Premium Membership?

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I'm with this for the custom title. =P

Also, will the PM storage work the same as the last Premium Membership?

whoops, i forgot about that. yeah, your pm inbox will be bigger like with old premium.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I would definitely buy one of these. Give a little back to the community that I love <3

bobson

Smash Lord
I'd buy a premium account if all the mods and admins agree to replace their avatar with a picture of a butt for a month.

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
What if there was a seperate service for changing other people's avatar and title for $5? I'd go for that.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
LOL it'd be sort of ridiculous.

Also, I think $10 would be about reasonable, 15 seems a bit excessive.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Shoot. I was planning on changing their colors to a really gross brown color.

½NIÇK½FBM

Smash Apprentice
Benefits of premium membership

(everything in paranthesis is my response)

3 name changes in a month (confuse your friends who you are!)

Custom title (it makes you look sooooo cool)

The Return of Reputation (judge people, and become a hypocrite!)

A new and distinct usergroup color (sooo much cooler than a custom title)

Access to the Premium VIP Lounge (talk about REALLY cool things. Privately!)

An @smashboards.com e-mail address (makes you look like a business man!)

Change up to 10 people's user color for 30 days to a color to be chosen later [Cannot be done to Staff] (make april fools day every day!)

Embed videos (Rick Roll people at any time! Or even better, post random videos in the wrong room alot!)

REASONABLE Suggestions are welcomed! (make insane suggestions, and watch them get shot down!)

Bigger PM Inbox (you know you need it)

Not to be a sarcastic *******, but to make people pay for this stuff is ridiculous. Besides, Gideon only made premium memberships to fund the site right? Does MLG actually need the extra couple hundred dollars to run this site?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Benefits of premium membership

(everything in paranthesis is my response)

3 name changes in a month (confuse your friends who you are!)

Custom title (it makes you look sooooo cool)

The Return of Reputation (judge people, and become a hypocrite!)

A new and distinct usergroup color (sooo much cooler than a custom title)

Access to the Premium VIP Lounge (talk about REALLY cool things. Privately!)

An @smashboards.com e-mail address (makes you look like a business man!)

Change up to 10 people's user color for 30 days to a color to be chosen later [Cannot be done to Staff] (make april fools day every day!)

Embed videos (Rick Roll people at any time! Or even better, post random videos in the wrong room alot!)

REASONABLE Suggestions are welcomed! (make insane suggestions, and watch them get shot down!)

Bigger PM Inbox (you know you need it)

Not to be a sarcastic *******, but to make people pay for this stuff is ridiculous. Besides, Gideon only made premium memberships to fund the site right? Does MLG actually need the extra couple hundred dollars to run this site?
Money made would go towards sponsoring Smash tournaments. (however minimal the benefit is).

If only for that, I am definitely supporting this.

EDIT: Would I be out of line making a thread to direct people here from General Brawl Discussion?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If they're running reputation the way I think they are, as long as you don't have like a group after you to mark you down (and if you don't deserve it), you will be fine. I wouldn't really care anyway because of course the way I do things, not everybody would agree with me and just because some of those people aren't civil they'll be an a**, but whatever.

If I did have PM, I wouldn't use the VIP anyway unless I saw some stuff that interested me...

Some bonuses are not really needed, but then again nobody is forcing you to use them even if you do receive them (plus for example, if you're paying attention you won't embed the wrong video in the wrong section, and I'm sure you would piss off some of the admins if you posted Rick Rolls everywhere.), plus things like having a bigger PM box isn't so bad.

I could see myself buying premium membership, just for some harmless giggles/that custom title I kind of wanted to go with my name as well (depending on whether I keep this or make it longer for further giggles).

½NIÇK½FBM

Smash Apprentice
But its worth that really cool custom title so noobs all over the site who havent even been here for that long will buy into it. Premium membership is an obvious scam. You might as well buy stuff you see in pop-up ads and infomercials on TV.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah I'm gonna hate reputation.
Just go along with it, like you never even had it to begin with, not unless you're self-conscious/insecure of you and what you do (but yeah I think if you're an a-hole you should and probably will get marked down).

But its worth that really cool custom title so noobs all over the site who havent even been here for that long will buy into it. Premium membership is an obvious scam. You might as well buy stuff you see in pop-up ads and infomercials on TV.
^^

What is that I don't even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom