• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Premium Contest: Make a Role! (Closed, Judging!)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Come up with the best original Mafia role and win 6 months of Premium Membership! :D

I hope to make this the first of many premium contests held in Decisive Games. We can "make a role," "make a game," "make a game with X theme," "balance X setup," and have fun Mafia-based contests on a regular basis. And now that there is Premium Membership again, you actually have something to win! (Although... I heard a rumor that there might even be a better prize for DGamers in the works...)

The contest is simple. Anyone can enter, but you can only enter once. Make an original (or as original as you can get) role for the game Mafia. It can be a town-aligned role, a mafia-aligned role, an independent role, anything you want. I will get two more judges and we will judge the roles in a 10 point mock-WWYP rubric of originality and balance.

Note that this is not a contest of flavor at all. The contest will simply judge the originality and the mechanics of the role you create. The person with the winning role will receive 6 months Premium Membership.

To enter, simply make a post in this thread with your role PM in it.

Here is an example (although it is not original, it is a good one!):

You are an Abductor. Each night, you may abduct one player and they will be removed from the game. Their role and alignment will not be revealed, and it will simply be announced that they "are MISSING!" The people you have abducted can no longer post (and therefore no longer speak nor vote) and they do not count towards majority at all. If you die, all the people that you have abducted will re-enter the game. You are independently aligned and win when you are the last man standing or nothing can prevent this.

As you can see, although this role is a Serial-Killer variant, it is very different from the SK. It is a nice spin on the previous role, and it is very easy to balance in a game.

Categories you might want to think about when deciding what your role is:
Investigation variants: cop, tracker, watcher, forensic investigator
Protection variants: doctor, bodyguard, martyr
Roleblocking variants: hooker, drunk
Vigilante variants: vigilante, paranoid gun owner, hunter
Independent variants: Serial Killer (Arsonist, Abductor), Survivor

These links might help you get started:
Common Mafiascum Roles
More (common and uncommon) Mafiascum Roles
Epicmafia Roles

Have at it!

The submissions phase of the contest will end the very last second of Monday, September 14st, EST; the judging phase will take exactly 1 week and the results will be formatted and posted. The prize will be given out... and the next contest will begin!

The contest is currently closed for judging!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
So far, me. I am going to contact some other people and see if they want to judge with me if they are not interested in taking part in the contest.

Florida

イーグランツ
You are the

You are the Psychic, known for your nonsense readings of the future! Your credibility as a psychic has been dying out over the years, and you are determined to prove that your powers are real! Each night you predict the name of someone you think will die. If you predict correctly, then your confidence in your powers will exceed, and you will be immune to any danger that faces your way for a short time!

Unfortunately, reading your own future has always been a hazy talent…

• Each night you may predict a death by sending the Moderator a PM with the name of who you think will die. You may not guess more than one name, and you may not guess your own name. If you are correct, you will be notified, and you will be protected from any killings the entire next day and night. You are still vulnerable to being lynched. Do this before the night's deadline is reached, or your ability will not be counted.
  • You are pro-Town and win when the Town is the last group standing!

XACE-K

Smash Master
I thought of a role before that was similar to your Abductor example Tom except with a few differences. Guess I'll just have to think of another role.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Snitch: A charactar inlisted in as a normal Mafia member to the mafia and as a special class to the police/doctors providing tips and clues to who's who. Would normaly be given to a mod so they can't abuse their power, and also leaves another elimination poll to the mafia to vote out their group's mole.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
Hero: Target someone each night. If that person is chosen to be NK'ed, you die instead. This is a great way to protect your PR's.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer

I'm sure you're suppose to post this in the PREMIUM THREAD, not make a new thread.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Like I told you in our discussions before, I absolutely love this Psychic role.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha BG has a chance of killing though:p Although, I'm pretty sure I've heard of the role Kirb described. Anyway, I would consider putting in an entry but, well, I've already become premium so ya knowXD

Chaco

Never Logs In
Haha BG has a chance of killing though:p Although, I'm pretty sure I've heard of the role Kirb described. Anyway, I would consider putting in an entry but, well, I've already become premium so ya knowXD
Elite Bodyguard, lol.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
The role you are thinking of is called a martyr.

Handorin, Mentosman8, and I are going to be the 3 judges.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Smashman's Gut: Each night you send me a name, and for the rest of the subsequent day you must push for that persons lynch in every single post looking for no potential evidence besides the fact that you "know" they are mafia

You win when someone you lynch is actually mafia.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
thats a really really hahahahahahahaha role and it could actually work in a game.

but its marvel baybee. it aint over til its over.

keep submitting roles!!!!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Asylum-The goal is to remain sane and out of the asylum.

Their are items and different levels of the asylum.

Roll a number your number if you get lucky your a little crazier than before like wise A number can be rolled to get you out

Levels
Sane-go figure your sane and not in an Asylum

Little crazy- Congrats you are now crazy nothings changed other than your in an Asylum your not in a staght jacket or anything. But you have a better chance of it getting out. But if since here 3 times without useing somekind of get out of jail thing 2 rolls will be count agaist you.

crazy-Nice soft room with a protective jacket and an extra roll will be count agaist you and another one if there is at least a thrid of everyone in with you due to crazy talk.
But if since here 3 times without useing somekind of get out of jail thing 3 rolls will be count agaist you.

INSANE CRAZY GUY-you are now starped down staight jacket, muzzel pills, everything your a nut.nearly impossible to get out of because there is is no get out roll.

Double posting counts as talking to self and lowers your sanilty

Items- are gained by anwering random Q first 2 to answer get a random item PM me

Brain damage- waste someons head (maybe even your self) knocks someone who is sane or little crazy down to either little crazy or crazy. Poor people getting their heads smashed in I think it would only take 5 to mess someone up forever.(countered by Helmet)

Pigs on Wings- What flying pigs? Knocks them down to little crazy or they lose their sanilty award. (countered by Offical I am sane papers and pictures)

Nobody home- knocks crazy and little crazy down one (countered by Offical I am sane papers)

Good bye cruel world -Trys to kill self goes to crazy unless they are AN INSANE CRAZY GUY.

Is There Anybody Out There?-The turn around point for An INSANE CRAZY GUY.

Vegetable Man-goes to crazy (countered by Offical I am sane papers and lawyer)

Offical I am sane papers-stops a few sourses from throwing you in the looney bin and counters the random roll.

Helmet-pretechs to from bashing your head in.

Pictures-proof that you did see a flying monkey, can get you out of the Asylum if you were put in by flying pigs.

Lawyer-he's not crazy he's just to smart, gets you out of crazy/little crazy/Vegetable Man

Pills-lowers your or someones esles sanilty unless they are AN INSANE CRAZY GUY then they rise one.

happy place-think happy thoughts. gives you another get out roll.

YOu can only have 5 different items.

will edit later figure out my favorite band

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Asylum-The goal is to remain sane and out of the asylum.

Their are items and different levels of the asylum.

Roll a number your number if you get lucky your a little crazier than before like wise A number can be rolled to get you out

Levels
Sane-go figure your sane and not in an Asylum

Little crazy- Congrats you are now crazy nothings changed other than your in an Asylum your not in a staght jacket or anything. But you have a better chance of it getting out. But if since here 3 times without useing somekind of get out of jail thing 2 rolls will be count agaist you.

crazy-Nice soft room with a protective jacket and an extra roll will be count agaist you and another one if there is at least a thrid of everyone in with you due to crazy talk.
But if since here 3 times without useing somekind of get out of jail thing 3 rolls will be count agaist you.

INSANE CRAZY GUY-you are now starped down staight jacket, muzzel pills, everything your a nut.nearly impossible to get out of because there is is no get out roll.

Double posting counts as talking to self and lowers your sanilty

Items- are gained by anwering random Q first 2 to answer get a random item PM me

Brain damage- waste someons head (maybe even your self) knocks someone who is sane or little crazy down to either little crazy or crazy. Poor people getting their heads smashed in I think it would only take 5 to mess someone up forever.(countered by Helmet)

Pigs on Wings- What flying pigs? Knocks them down to little crazy or they lose their sanilty award. (countered by Offical I am sane papers and pictures)

Nobody home- knocks crazy and little crazy down one (countered by Offical I am sane papers)

Good bye cruel world -Trys to kill self goes to crazy unless they are AN INSANE CRAZY GUY.

Is There Anybody Out There?-The turn around point for An INSANE CRAZY GUY.

Vegetable Man-goes to crazy (countered by Offical I am sane papers and lawyer)

Offical I am sane papers-stops a few sourses from throwing you in the looney bin and counters the random roll.

Helmet-pretechs to from bashing your head in.

Pictures-proof that you did see a flying monkey, can get you out of the Asylum if you were put in by flying pigs.

Lawyer-he's not crazy he's just to smart, gets you out of crazy/little crazy/Vegetable Man

Pills-lowers your or someones esles sanilty unless they are AN INSANE CRAZY GUY then they rise one.

happy place-think happy thoughts. gives you another get out roll.

YOu can only have 5 different items.

will edit later figure out my favorite band

http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mafia_(game)

Florida

イーグランツ

I'm sure you're suppose to post this in the PREMIUM THREAD, not make a new thread.
oh LOL

I misread, and am so used to making new topics because of WWYP.
Merge?

Chaco

Never Logs In
You are the Mafia Master of Disguise, PLAYERNAME. You are a master in the art of deception. Your trunk of costumes is endless, and your abilities bountiful.

Passive Abilities:
Sham: If you are revealed visiting any person, you are automatically killed.

Active Abilities:
Mimicry: You may disguise yourself and visit a player. However you may not perform another night action. PM me with Mimic: PLAYERNAME, Visit: PLAYERNAME

Camo: You may use this form of visual deception, to stealthily kill. However, you may not kill until all your partners are dead. PM me with Assassinate: PLAYERNAME

Win Condition: You win when mafia outnumbers the town.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
You are the Depressed Stinky Gambler. You haven't showered in weeks. Ew. But your stench can prove to be a valuable asset. Your stench is so powerful anyone who enters your vicinity will immediately begin to stink as well!

Passive Ability: Stink
Fortunately, you stink so bad that you may evade (1) Day lynch and (1) Mafia kill due to people's unwillingness to come near you unprepared. Unfortunately, the Doctor will fail to revive you at Night, and an investigation from the Cop will report you as Mafia because you smell like scum.

Active Ability: Shower
You have a choice to take a shower at anytime. By doing so all of your original traits return to normal. However, since you recognize your old smell, you will be given a list (in no order) of any person who visited you during your stinky era. If you are visited by the Mafia, you will only be given 1 name.

You have a 10% chance of committing suicide beginning Night 1. Each Night you choose to evade the cleanse pool, your chances of committing suicide rises an additional 10%.

Win Condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been removed.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Omni's role made me almost pass out with laughter.
Absolutely amazing.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
You are the Demographic Analyst. Town aligned.

You are an expert at determining just who makes up your voting contingency. Each night, the mod will submit a list containing the names of every role that placed a vote on you the previous day. However, the number of times a given role voted for you will not be given (with the exception of multiple players sharing roles, or role archetypes in a flavoured game, and both, or more of them voting for you on the same day) and which player is associated with that role will not be revealed.

Example: Over the course of a day, the Demographic Analyst (DA) is voted for, unvoted, and revoted by the doctor. One mafia goon votes him once, and later unvotes. Another mafia goon votes him once and leave it there. The Godfather votes him once and unvotes. A roleblocker votes him and keeps it. A mason votes him once and unvotes later.

That night, the DA will receive a PM saying "You were voted for by the following roles: Doctor, Goon(x2), GodFather, Roleblocker, Mason.

The list will be in no particular order so as not to reveal which player has which role.

Potential Strategies: What I like most about this role is how versatile it is. Want to know the entire game's make up? Try to draw some attention while breadcrumbing yourself so that you can get people to vote you but then let you live. Want to figure out who ONE specific person is? Try to get them to vote you but prevent others from doing so.

Mod's Note: In flavoured games, a mod could choose to either send the DA the basic role archetypes that the specific roles of players may follow, or he may choose to reveal the complete name and nature of each role that voted the DA. Obviously such small modifications could easily be made for balance purposes.

Basically, no matter how you play mafia or how often you put yourself in the limelight, there is still a way to gain information using this role. Its versatility allows it to be useful in the hands of players of all playstyles.

Whatdya guys think? =D

Florida

イーグランツ
I think it's hot. Really.

It'd take someone that's not a moron to pull it off right though.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I like that really but it seems over powered to me. It would be heavily dependent on the set up if I really liked it or not.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
What so you guys don't like the Depressed Stinky Gambler?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
of course, judges will refrain from making any comments about the roles until the contest is over. ;)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Here's mine...

You are the brilliant, but UNHELPFUL townie

Since you are so brilliant, every night you may send in one yes/no question to the game mod, in format Ask: question, and get a correct answer. However, since you are also UNHELPFUL, the only thing you are allowed to post in the thread, are votes, and of course, UNHELPFUL!!. You are town-aligned and win when all the mafia are dead.

(3 guesses what the inspiration of this role was...)

mask man

Smash Cadet
You are a weak villager.
Since you are so weak, you have a strict prescription of Immortality Potion. The bad news is that apparently Immortality Potion is very rare since the mafia came to town, and you only have three spare flasks! Every night, you may choose to drink a flask of Immortality Potion, if anyone tries to kill you that night, you will survive. Immortality Potion also causes instant death when combined with doctor protection, so if you drink a flask during a night where you are protected, you will die. Because you are so weak, if three or more separate people target you on a night that you don't drink your Immortality Potion, you will die. If any inspection role targets you, in addition to normal results, they will be informed that you "Look fragile and possibly near death.". If you don't drink from a flask, you can instead visit someone, they will be told that "<player> the weak villager visited you last night.".
Passive abilities:
One less vote to lynch
Weak (Unless Potion is drank.)

Night Actions:
Drink Immortality Potion (Starts at three.)
Visit

Top Bottom