• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predict a top tier and bottom tier!

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
All the characters look so good, they're probably all going to be God tier. If there are any that are even better, somebody's going to have to invent whole new tiers to go above God tier, like GigaGod tier and TeraGod tier.

I think Ridley will be too big to fit in a tier, though.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I personally cannot bring much to an opinion til I see more gameplay, the whole moveset of the characters, and mostly their recoveries. I can definitely say that Pit and Bowser has greatly improved compared to the other veterans. Then again, the trailer and developer direct didn't really show much of the veteran moves compared to those 2 I named. And I mean I want to see footage of the moves, not photos.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Toon Link appearing as nothing more than a background character on that 3DS stage pretty much sealed his fate. He's not returning.
The fact that Sakurai said that no characters have been cut so far while that stage is present means that it isn't an indication of anything. Though he is most likely at the very bottom of the priority list.

Conis

Smash Rookie
Top: Villager. The top of the tier list in Brawl was pretty much dominated by newcomers for a while (still kinda is - 3 of the top 4 in the current one are new characters) and I kinda figure that will continue. All of the newcomers look pretty good thus far, but Villager stands out as one of those characters that looks like he could be really great if played to his full potential.

Bottom: Link. After three games of being bad, I think he's just doomed to suck in Smash forever for some reason.

D

Deleted member

Mario is probably forever damned to be mid/low-mid tier. Same thing for Link but with low tier.

Olimar might be moving down a tier or 2.

Villager might be high-mid/high.

That's really all I can think of right now.

Oh yeah Megaman! I'm going to make a safe guess and say he'll be around mid tier. Maybe high if things go well for the Blue Bomber.

XquiZiTX8X

Smash Cadet
The fact that Sakurai said that no characters have been cut so far while that stage is present means that it isn't an indication of anything. Though he is most likely at the very bottom of the priority list.

No characters have been cut so far because most haven't even been programmed yet, and are still as low as the discussion phase. Though I agree about being at the bottom of the list, because let's face it people are tired of having a second link instead of an entirely new Zelda rep. I mean, Toon Link managed to be the only true clone in SSBB and that drew a lot of criticism from people, wasting a slot for someone else.

As for what I believe who will be top or bottom tier...well, I figure a quick swordsman has a high chance of being on the top and the clunky but powerful guy at the bottom, but in the end I generally have no idea.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Top: Villager. The top of the tier list in Brawl was pretty much dominated by newcomers for a while (still kinda is - 3 of the top 4 in the current one are new characters) and I kinda figure that will continue. All of the newcomers look pretty good thus far, but Villager stands out as one of those characters that looks like he could be really great if played to his full potential.

Bottom: Link. After three games of being bad, I think he's just doomed to suck in Smash forever for some reason.
This is pretty much what I was going to post. Link's recovery doesn't look like it got buffed, and they haven't shown the claw shot yet but I think it won't change. We haven't seen his other specials either besides the bomb as well but if his recovery still sucks then he's gonna get horribly gimped for the 4th game.

Praise Hyrule Tier!:troll:

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I can see it being something like this.

S:
WFT
MegaMan

A:
Fox
Villager
Bowser

B:
Pit
Pikachu
Mario
Donkey Kong

C:
Olimar (assuming he had 3 Pikmin)
Kirby
Samus

Bottom:
Link

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to say from what we've seen but if I were to guess I'd still say Link is lower tier, and WFT, Megaman and Villager look higher. Its pretty hard to tell lol

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Well bottom tier is easy, as Link has been confirmed to be in the game.

I have no idea about top. I hope ganondorf with his completly new and unique moveset (wich ofcourse involves a sword or/and his "pig"-form *_*
But going on the already announced characters Im gonna have to say Fox McCloud. And even if he won't be viewed as top tier, he will still be top tier to me. Always.

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
You people saying Mega Man will be a top character do realise that characters with many projectiles that dont have a special effect (bananas, Thunder) or that cant kill easily (Snake) don't do good in Smash Bros right? (Samus, Link, Ness)

From what Ive seen Mega Man only does damage with knockback and nothing else. I mean his sticky bomb can hurt himself

Bowser Yoshi Link for bottom tier

And I think Pit is going to be higher than in Brawl.
Fox and Pikachu 4ever good.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Top: Villager
1. We already saw the ammount of damage he can inflict. On one hand he can trap opponents, and on the other he can drop bowling balls on them.
2. First character revealed in Brawl was Metaknight. First character revealed in SSB4 was Villager.... Nuff said.
3. He recovers with Balloon Fighter balloons... I'm sure that means his recovery will be very similar to Pit's in Brawl, where he can roam wherever the heck he wants until hit (maybe twice now that he has two balloons?).

Bottom: Jigglypuff
I have a feeling Jiggs is getting nerfed even more this time. Namco Bandai will probably not recall his Down+B from Melee so they might stick with the "Flower Rest". I predict her moves won't pack that much of a punch and getting juggled the heck out of.
(Hope I'm wrong though, Jiggs is fun to play. Liked her in Brawl, in Melee she's a god, and in 64 she's just ok with a powerful rest imo)

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
All they really need to do is buff Link's up+B and get rid of that stupid effect that makes any momentum going in the opposite direction destroy his jump.

Here's to hoping that Link makes it to at least mid-tier. But....who knows.

Oh well, as long as he can brutally hack people and send them to their deaths from near the edge of the stage with no major problems, I am good. A bad recovery is permissible if there's still some power behind those slashes.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Your reaction: they give Link the double clawshot from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, and he can suddenly recover from anywhere.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Top tier: Falco (laser makes you good in any game, see 64/melee/brawl)
Bottom tier: Link
/easiest thread.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Your reaction: they give Link the double clawshot from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, and he can suddenly recover from anywhere.
Hmm, that wouldn't increase his recovery too much unless the chain was lengthened. I'd love to double Z-air though, that would be really broken damage. Or one Clawshot and one Hookshot.

They should give him the magnetic boots so he can walk under the stage and stays on the ground no matter how hard he's hit lmao

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
A Variable Boots System for Link would be dope. The Hover Boots could make him at least Borderline tier.
The Spinner might be useful too, and maybe a mode where he switches to Ball-and-Chain and gets heavier and more powerful. But all these things probably will never happen. :ohwell:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
The Spinner might be useful too, and maybe a mode where he switches to Ball-and-Chain and gets heavier and more powerful. But all these things probably will never happen. :ohwell:
The spinner would be really fun, actually! I think the spinner and the Pegasus Boots would help him a lot in approaching the enemy. You can't rely on getting an opportunity for an up-tilt all day. The ball and chain would be sick but probably unpragmatic.

PrincessAzula

Smash Apprentice
It'd be pretty funny if characters like Zelda and Ganon were S tier and characters like Diddy, IC's, and MK were lol tier.....

I feel like WFT is going to be a solid character. Not sure about Villager quite yet. Gimmicky characters are fun to play as, but they can also be difficult to play as. And if you make them too gimmicky, well then, they just suck. (Phoenix Wright from UMVC3). I do hope Villager is a solid character to play as though! Really stoked AC got a rep in this game.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
From whats been shown-

Megaman-High tier at least. Has an amazing spacing aeriel, extremely useful specials, decent edgegurad ability, very good recovery, and range on everything. Only thing he seems to lack is good kill moves and a wy to punish rollers reliably.

Villager-Really unknown. Right now the one move everyone is looking at is his down smash dig. We dont know exactly how it works, but if it has low ending lag and he has strong moves....he will be at least mid high.

WFT-Zero suit samus situation

Mario-Forever average, I dub thee Fludd tier.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Megaman-High tier at least. Has an amazing spacing aeriel, extremely useful specials, decent edgegurad ability, very good recovery, and range on everything. Only thing he seems to lack is good kill moves and a wy to punish rollers reliably.
imagine a roll/sidestep punish with D-smash... brutal.

Also I'm not sure we've ever seen an edgeguarder like this.. the 8-way throwing, hard knuckle, and flame sword seem.....incredibly adaptable.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, I'll go by each character:

• Mario- Mid or low-mid. Always.
  • Bowser- I don't see him being all that high, but he could go up a tier or two.
  • Link- Link is always gonna be low tier :( He doesn't look that much different in terms of physics.
  • Samus- I could see Samus go up like Bowser, but she still won't be all that great.
  • Fox- Fox will be Mid at worst. He'll probably be high-mid or high tier, he's a pretty good character.
  • Pit- This time around, I can see Pit go up a few spots from before. He's looking pretty solid.
  • Donkey Kong- Forever doomed to be dead center.
  • Pikachu- I would say the same situation as Fox.
  • Olimar- If he keeps the same amount of Pikmin, he'll be near the top again. If he's limited to 3, he'll go down a tier or two.
  • The Villager- Villager looks pretty fierce, he can easily be one of the higher tiers. He'll be a character that would be very difficult to master, though.
  • Megaman- I see him as an above average character. I see him as being a good aerial character who can easily rack up damage but has some trouble KOing.
  • Wii Fit Trainer- I see her in between Megaman and the Villager. She is a solid, strong character with powerful moves, what looks to be a meteor smash, and a projectile. the only problem I see her having is approaching.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Why do we think Samus will hit in three frames with fsmash?
Plus, the game is far from finished.
Noone can possibly know how her Fsmash will turn out in the final product.

I don't really know what to expect since Namco is working on it.
Don't be surprised if Link ends up beeing one of the better.

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
i dont think you can really say what the tiers will be before you see each moves damage %

imagine if many of links moves did around +5% more (with corresponding knockback) and they had faster startup and less cooldown.

slight changes like this could be the difference between him being low or mid or even high tier

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
hard to predict who was is top and bottom without knowing all the characters

RideRide

Smash Cadet
Top tier: Link
Bottom Tier: Villager
Yeah I'm joking okay. I actually think Villager will be amazing.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The bigger question is why so many of you guys don't believe in Link's potential. His moveset is very functional in every smash game. His main problem is being consistently way too susceptible to early deaths, and we even see this play out in his favor with Toon Link who is a pretty good character since he doesn't really have that weakness. Link is also one of the better low tiers in Brawl for that reason, but no one seems to know that. I'd be more likely to bet on him than to bet on characters with more fundamental problems like Samus, Bowser, Yoshi, etc. especially since all of those characters have track records as bad as Link's. Then again, we have no real way of knowing tiers in a game that's not only very far from release but has only shown us a handful of videos; I'm just saying that it seems silly to me that Link is the guy that seems to garner the least confidence.

JNS

Smash Cadet
I was just looking at Brawl's tier list, and I found that among the original 14, their rankings are very similar to the first game (pika,fox,kirby while the last 64 tier list was pika,kirby,fox)

Assuming no ridiculous nerfs (like kirby from 64 to melee) here is my prediction

Villager
WFT
High
Pikachu
Fox
Megaman
Olimar
Pit
Mid
Kirby
Mario
DK
Low
Link
Samus

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
i dont think you can really say what the tiers will be before you see each moves damage %

imagine if many of links moves did around +5% more (with corresponding knockback) and they had faster startup and less cooldown.

slight changes like this could be the difference between him being low or mid or even high tier
Link is already pretty powerful and most of his sword moves deal good damage and don't lag too much. They need only increase knockback scaling for his power moves a bit and he would become pretty lethal. +5% damage is not really a slight change, as it would make him deal way too much damage.

The bigger question is why so many of you guys don't believe in Link's potential. His moveset is very functional in every smash game. His main problem is being consistently way too susceptible to early deaths, and we even see this play out in his favor with Toon Link who is a pretty good character since he doesn't really have that weakness. Link is also one of the better low tiers in Brawl for that reason, but no one seems to know that. I'd be more likely to bet on him than to bet on characters with more fundamental problems like Samus, Bowser, Yoshi, etc. especially since all of those characters have track records as bad as Link's. Then again, we have no real way of knowing tiers in a game that's not only very far from release but has only shown us a handful of videos; I'm just saying that it seems silly to me that Link is the guy that seems to garner the least confidence.
Non-Link enthusiasts only get a glimpse of what Link can do. I actually consider Link one of the harder characters to master due to his arsenal of weapons and techniques. He is, quite literally, ONLY lacking in the recovery department. This glaring weakness causes many to dismiss him as a potentially good character, so they don't really look at the rest of his moves.

Top Bottom