• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pre-Alpha Version of Smash Nation released

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Okay, you have 3D. But this thing requires whole lot of work. The models are horrible (they are test, thankfully), so are animations. However, graphics may be crap. But right now the system itself is not good as well. Camera only zooms out - it doesn't move around. Controls are too stiff for a smash fangame - this may be a feature, but now it just looks bad. After a jump into the ceiling, player does not stop (game only moves him a bit down - effect: shaking player model). There are only two attacks (didn't bother to find more - A and Z keys) and neither of them has an effect on second player. Also, animation just stops when the key is held.

Overall, this isn't something that should be shown to the public. You should've waited a bit more before publishing anything.

SmashMan89

Smash Rookie
Okay, you have 3D. But this thing requires whole lot of work. The models are horrible (they are test, thankfully), so are animations. However, graphics may be crap. But right now the system itself is not good as well. Camera only zooms out - it doesn't move around. Controls are too stiff for a smash fangame - this may be a feature, but now it just looks bad. After a jump into the ceiling, player does not stop (game only moves him a bit down - effect: shaking player model). There are only two attacks (didn't bother to find more - A and Z keys) and neither of them has an effect on second player. Also, animation just stops when the key is held.

Overall, this isn't something that should be shown to the public. You should've waited a bit more before publishing anything.
That is why it's the pre-alpha version. Other versions including the final release will be way better.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Why exactly would you release a pre-alpha? A pre-alpha has almost no work. Why didn't you just ask for some playtesters or something? It would have been a better choice to release an alpha or beta.

SmashMan89

Smash Rookie
Why exactly would you release a pre-alpha? A pre-alpha has almost no work. Why didn't you just ask for some playtesters or something? It would have been a better choice to release an alpha or beta.
Because I want you guys to know that the game is in development.

M!nt

Smash Champion
lol its not too bad, at least its something. but yeah there's is a lot missing from this. Its more like a Pre-Pre-Pre-alpha lol. However if he would have just come and asked for play testers he would not get anyone because people would just think he wouldn't finish it like all the other fan games on here.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I got happy because I saw someone was actually trying to do game development.
Then I got sad because I see that theres not much game to play yet.

Don't release demos or ask for playtesters until your game is...you know..playable.

4nace

Smash Ace
I got happy because I saw someone was actually trying to do game development.
Why would game development make you happy considering you are into hacking?

And how is using the Irrlicht Engine is any different from using something like Flash, Unity3D or Game Maker?

-4nace

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
What's so bad about using an existing engine? Developers do it all the time.

This... still needs a LOT of work. Once you have something that actually resembles and Alpha or Beta, I'll consider playtesting it. Until then, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo

And how is using the Irrlicht Engine is any different from using something like Flash, Unity3D or Game Maker?

-4nace
What he's saying is, he's happy because this isn't just another vaporware thread made by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember who was it, but I do remember someone was unhappy with Smash fangames not being actually programmed (written in programming languages).

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Also, just a tip, set the keys to Z and X. Much cleaner, it's what should be the industry standard, and is the standard for dojinshi games.

Dantarion

Smash Champion

-4nace

programming and scripting are way different.
Game Maker is extremely limited when compared to using something like Ogre or Irrlicht.
And I am a game developer at heart, this Brawl stuff is just a hobby, I am working on stuff on the side :p

4nace

Smash Ace
I understand what you are saying, but I more in the belief that game development and programming are more different than programming and scripting. Most programmers don't have the design skills or vision to make a game, similarly many game designers don't have the programming skills to write their own engines from scratch. Just because a person or small group makes a game in Unity/Flash/Game Maker does not mean it is any less a game than if they used Orge or built their own engine in C++.

There's no point in rolling your own tech unless you have to imo. Like you say, some tech is limited. Particularly Unity and Game Maker. But that doesn't mean you can't design and develop a game to their limitations.

I dunno. I think there is a decent amount of game development going on here. 2 Flash games and 2 Game Maker games have threads that have much more development than this project.

I'd also be curious to see what types of games you enjoy making. I know as a smash player myself, I have become very interested in competitive game design =P

-4nace

Top Bottom