• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Powersliding/ sheild walking

Atire0

Smash Cadet
Rohins invented shield dashing and while doing it I found out that you can shield walk. Video here. Read the description.
**Note
Tell me what you think. Thanks.

LINK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPOlT0W_Ncg

Description:
A technique that I made after watching rohins do his shield dash.

Uses: 1. Characters like ice climbers or other short range ones can approach other characters and be immune to their attacks if it hits the shield. Once you get close enough, you can then shield grab.

2. This can be also used a mind game. Approach your opponent, then if they charge at you, do anything out of the shield or forward smash.

3. This is very useful against projectile spammers! Pit, falco, toon link, ect... You can approach them and destroy them like this.

More coming up soon.

Cons: It does eat up away at your shield but some tips to slow that down are to use a person that powerslides far to shorten usage and by letting go of the shield fast if you're far away from your opponent. The closer you get the longer you hold your shield but don't over use it or you won't have a shield. Try not overusing it. Hope that helped

Villi

Smash Lord
It doesn't make you invincible and it eats up your shield pretty quickly. It's better to walk and powershield, IMO

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
hmmm I may experiment with this, it would be really cool if you could cancel it into another direction, or while dashing cancel into it to do a quick power shielding turn around to counter.

then it would be something cool, regardless i'll check into it

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It does eat up your sheild pretty bad.

Perhaps this could advance the approach game. You could shield walk into an attack and shield grab out of it.

Could make IC very good as they have short range and can now get closer...maybe close enough to shield grab

Bjay

Smash Lord
Man that looks pretty cool.

I swear the vid was almost like a dance video too :p it was cool seeing Luigi go with the music!

Atire0

Smash Cadet
lol im glad you think that Bjay (lol i like ur name)xD. And Rigor you never know, thats how every useful technique in melee was done. I f you do something repeat it and it'll be jesus like.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Look at Luigi slide!

I tested it out, and like what the others have said, it eats up the shield really fast. That's the only flaw in this. If the shield didn't disappear so quickly, then it could be very, very useful. Other than that, I do agree with the mind games as noted in your video.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
not too good. against a spammy pit ull need ur shield and this eats it fast, lol i do lke luigis slide

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I tried this today and it was pretty entertaining if not entirely useful. You don't need to do diagonals, just tilt the direction you want to walk, start spamming shield, and then you can press it fully forward horizontally and just hold it there.

Forgot to try Yoshi today though, how is his? Since his shield doesn't get any smaller this seems like it could be good for him, although I don't know how well he slides or how much his slower shield would have an effect on its usefulness.

Could also have potential as approaching some projectile spammers and maybe against neutral a combos or multi hit aerials.

Interesting little tech, either way.

Atire0

Smash Cadet
Pasquel, you're completely rihgt, this can be used to approach projectile spammers if they dont camp the opposite way. Yoshis shield is accually the same as everyone elses but it doesn't get smaller, it rots.... I'm glad that this is usefull xD. More comments and suggestions please.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I tried this today and it was pretty entertaining if not entirely useful. You don't need to do diagonals, just tilt the direction you want to walk, start spamming shield, and then you can press it fully forward horizontally and just hold it there.

Forgot to try Yoshi today though, how is his? Since his shield doesn't get any smaller this seems like it could be good for him, although I don't know how well he slides or how much his slower shield would have an effect on its usefulness.

Could also have potential as approaching some projectile spammers and maybe against neutral a combos or multi hit aerials.

Interesting little tech, either way.
Yoshi's is near-impossible. You'd have to like... Not really spam shield.

Shiek's is ftw.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
It does "rot", but the actual size isn't effected so he could spam this better than others with less chance of getting shield stabbed. Downside being, you'd have to be more aware of how decayed your shield is t avoid an accidental break. How is his movement when he does the shieldwalk though? I've not got a Wii to try it on right now.

Edit- Ah, thank you Silence. Too bad, the one character it could've been really effective with. Alas.

Scala

Smash Ace
I'm still trying to figure out how Atire0 managed to 'accidently' double post over an hour after the first one.

Also, this is a useless technique.

Atire0

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't double post once just to get 1 post up..... If I wanted to I can have like 1000 posts right now spamming random threads with obscure comments.
I thought someone posted so i wrote thanks for the comment but when I realized that I looked at my own post o.0.
It's not useless at all.
Great approach towards projectile spammers as mentioned before. Did you see my video? It pointed out on the sidebar on what this can be used for.

Btw: Call me atire, my old account got messed up (atire) so i had to make a new one -_-

CyAnBlAzE

Smash Rookie
If you frequently you are one who frequently shield dashes, your opponent will take that into account before attacking, right?
Therefore, your opponent MAY think you are about to shield dash and will over compensate for your tiny movement.
Now my grammar isnt the best, but i hope you get what i mean.

Villi

Smash Lord
This is not an advanced technique. It's called walking and shielding. Spamming your shield button is not a strategy -- it's thoughtless and ineffective. If someone is projectile spamming you, you don't blink your shield randomly and walk forward, you walk forward and time power shields.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I wonder if this technique could help link and toon link.

I would assume you would be able to walk with your shield switching in between the hylian shield and the regular shield. Since you seem to be in standing stance when not using the shield.

Constant shield up for link/toon link players? IDK haven't tested

Crow!

Smash Lord
No good. The shield is down most of the time, yet the shield is drained quickly.

But that's not actually the main problem. Taking the shield down is a painfully slow animation; if you spam the shield button you're not going to be able to react to your opponent's approach (or projectile spam, or pretty much anything important) sufficiently quickly to actually defend yourself from the grab or dash attack you're setting yourself up for like this.

Much better is to walk (or even run) and then shield, if necessary, when it is needed. Provided you're good at the game, you'll have a much higher likelihood to actually shield an opponent's attack the normal way, plus you don't make yourself only be able to attack at fixed time intervals. Predictability is bad.

In short, while this is intended to be a spam of defense, it's actually a spam of easily abused, laggy shield related animations.

(@ Pasqual: For Yoshi, his main weakness in brawl in general is how slow his ordinary shield dropping animation is; the weakness of this action is especially obvious with him. In fact, if anyone has remaining thoughts of using this technique, I suggest trying it with Yoshi.)

Atire0

Smash Cadet
lol john same to you. I also thought this technique wouldn't be great but i got surprised myself when all of these uses came up! If anyone can suggest come more uses that will be great!

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
from across the stage you might as well approach and shield as needed... but close up this could play a bit of a mindgame.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
wow good find my man, Yesterday I was thinking after experimenting with it that this tech sucked but actaually later that day I tried on wi-fi, and man It worked great in short bursts. like Snakes Ftilt if shielded it moves you back, out of reach to counter making the shield useless, but if slid it counter acts the forward momentum allowing for a quick counter, and sometimes a perfect shield.

as for cancels and whatnot theres nothing there but it's great for approaching spammers and heavy attacks.

Linkguy

Smash Cadet
I love how all these close minded people are hating on you for your find. The ignorant ****s, something appears useless at first glance and they just toss it aside...

Anyway, nice find. I dont think it would be too good to use for approaching a spam unless you could slide a perfect shield. Can you? And I like the use Ayaz18 found with it. So it now has a true approach use up close and could be used for mindgames.

Top Bottom