• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pound 2016 Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
NOOOOOOOOOOO! I MEAN YES!? I DON'T KNOW GOD DAMN IT.

That was so hype. Kid googles was so close at getting the kill. But props to Mr.R for making it through.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Kid Goggles used Kirby? That's.. honestly rather perplexing, even if he did almost win (just got home and missed a lot of stuff it seems).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Oh of course I work, come home, and see the last stock with kirby vs sheik game 5... and then he loses :/

I assume that set showed kirby's strengths and weaknesses pretty well. He just needed one grab to end it, or a bair... but his lack of range and speed was very apparent. I also read here he got a dair-> dsmash? That shouldn't work on sheik, she should always be able to perfect shield it.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Oh of course I work, come home, and see the last stock with kirby vs sheik game 5... and then he loses :/

I assume that set showed kirby's strengths and weaknesses pretty well. He just needed one grab to end it, or a bair... but his lack of range and speed was very apparent. I also read here he got a dair-> dsmash? That shouldn't work on sheik, she should always be able to perfect shield it.
Or maybe the set showed Sheik's strengths. Like Needle Storm into Bouncing Fish.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
They got a ground bounce, and Sheik didn't tech it.
She must have been very high percent then, right?
And yes Fthrow->Final Cutter has been true since the Fthrow change, sometimes I'm surprised people don't know about it, but then again nobody plays Kirby.
for good reason huehuehue
Or maybe the set showed Sheik's strengths. Like Needle Storm into Bouncing Fish.
The strengths that we've known of for many many months. I'm talking about having an underused character on display

Last edited:

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Mr. R vs Kids goggles was THE MOST INTENSE SET I'VE EVER SEEN. I had to stop what I was doing to watch the end of game 5.

Gj kid goggles!

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
ESAM did too many unsafe dairs as Corrin. >.<

And now he's playing Pikachu. And he actually won one match. By playing patiently. Yay.

Edit: He still ended up losing, but it wasn't as bad as the last time he faced a Mario.

Last edited:

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
For people saying Yoshi has no results and only got one good one in all of 2015:

-Firefly 5th at PAX Prime
-Me 9th at SmashCon
-Wall winning a big regional in Texas (don't remember which one)
-I also won a regional around the same time
-Me 5th at the most recent KTAR and 9th/13th in some other KTAR's
-Wall 9th at the most recent TGC
-17th at Pound (Though I don't think this is super impressive but eh)

Yoshi definitely isn't top tier or anything but his results aren't lacking nearly as much as people say.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
i want to make a FreESAM joke after the karmic 9th place but that was a great set overall, good showing from both players

Now for torture

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
ESAM did too many unsafe dairs as Corrin. >.<

And now he's playing Pikachu. And he actually won one match. By playing patiently. Yay.

Edit: He still ended up losing, but it wasn't as bad as the last time he faced a Mario.
Yeah his Corrin didnt look polished enough, he made too many crucial mistakes. Still it also looked like Ally had a much better grasp on the matchup vs Corrin than before cause I recall seeing him not being able to handle some semi-random Corrin in a smaller tournament a little while back.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Pika settling into his role as best high tier IMO. Not a top tier character but also not a character you should sleep on.

The mobility issue looked fierce.

Most apparent thing for me was that Kirby pretty much can't do anything against a needle camping Sheik once he's at a high enough percent for needles to put him in tumble. Unless he's got his own needles, of course.

He also seems to have no good answer to a simple back roll, much like Jigglypuff.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
2-1 :I
dang bayo
Edit: 2-2
I wanna see Hyuga come back
c'mon!

NOOO 3-2 PINK'S FAVOR
;W;

Well, next. I guess.

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
The character variety this tournament has been crazy. Even the top 16 has had its fair share of surprises.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Good stuff from Pink Fresh and Hyuga showing some nice new adaptation against that matchup. We got a Bayo in Top 8.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Good stuff from Pink Fresh and Hyuga showing some nice new adaptation against that matchup. We got a Bayo in Top 8.
Only 1 Bayonetta ladies and gentleman. ONLY 1. So stop saying that she is broken, if she was really broken, we should be seeing more of her in the top 8.

Sorry, the Bayonetta salt really triggers me.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The mobility issue looked fierce.

Most apparent thing for me was that Kirby pretty much can't do anything against a needle camping Sheik once he's at a high enough percent for needles to put him in tumble. Unless he's got his own needles, of course.

He also seems to have no good answer to a simple back roll, much like Jigglypuff.
He has better killing "power" than the likes of Sheik and Pikachu, but actually getting the kill is always going to be hard, if the other player is patient. I went to my first tournament in 7 months yesterday, and did pretty well, but I lost my first bracket match 1-2 against... a Dedede. Each game almost went to time, and I did about 300+ damage each game. It was kind of excruciating, and even a character as low mobility as Dedede, it's hard to land that Bair.

As long as Sheik plays patiently, (which I heard that Mr R didn't really do until the end, I can't wait to watch the set) it's very hard for Kirby to get in, but at the very least, Kirby is capable of staying relatively safe himself. It's just a matter of patience.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Only 1 Bayonetta ladies and gentleman. ONLY 1. So stop saying that she is broken, if she was really broken, we should be seeing more of her in the top 8.

Sorry, the Bayonetta salt really triggers me.
True, but it's not as if 2 months is enough to optimize her. We had only 2 Diddys at APEX 2015 top 8, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have completely taken over the meta had he not been changed. So while her performance here doesn't prove that she's broken, it doesn't disprove it either. Only thing I'm sure of with Bayo is that Divekick is really, really stupid and should not exist in its current form.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
If I'd have to make a guess, Tweek seems like a favorable pick on track for Grand Finals on Winner's Side. His streak has been too good. Mr. R vs Pink Fresh... could honestly go either way. Considering Mr. R was sent to losers by him in the first place something tells me that Pink Fresh is starting to have his number in this ongoing friendly "rivalry". Right now I'm tempted to say Pink Fresh could make it as good as Losers Semis. VoiD will probably place above Mr. R. Unless Tweek loses to Marss, Dabuz seems to have a very clear shot ahead of him on the Losers side, for the most of the part.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Grand Finals will be Tweek vs Dabuz.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
bold statement: :rosalina: isnt a solo viable character. reason: gets blown the **** up by :4cloud::4metaknight:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
bold statement: :rosalina: isnt a solo viable character. reason: gets blown the **** up by :4cloud::4metaknight:
Implying there's alot of MKs, also implying alot of MKs are good enough to beat Dabuz(or good in general). Look how long it took for Dabuz to lose to a MK. Any other pocket MK wouldn't beat Dabuz sadly. Cloud is problem for her though.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. LARRY LURR DEFEATS DABUZ!? THE HELL IS HAPPENING IN THIS TOURNEY!?

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Yo! Amazing Fox by Larry :D

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Larry beat Dabuz?

Gheb , what's the meaning of this?

:150:

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
so now its larry vs ally.. I think Ally has a much better chance against larry so this unexpected development of things might end up benefiting him

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
ARe you sure this tournament is 1.1.5? Because everything is wonky!! All my mains besides my new fourth one is out.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
VoiD's the best player in Top 8 and he's still in Winners. I think the winner will be him or Tweek.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Wow. Nairo, Dabuz, Hyuga, and Esam out before top 8. Mr. R one hit away from being with them. And Ally close to being with them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom