• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I think people on 4chan are trolling us with "leaks" that specifically don't incorporate Mewtwo to troll with us that much harder.

The guy who actually got it right once already said that Mewtwo would be one of the final characters, and until I get some closure that's probably gonna be my most credible source.

Last edited:

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
This is the most reasonable sounding leak so far. I call real. Also, he wasn't using a tripcode, so the guy using his name to claim it was all trolling is the actual troll.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord

That text leaker said that there'd be 49 total characters. Okay. Let's do some math and speculating.

Assuming that the true big leak has some characters still hidden, and assuming that its complete form will be a full, rectangular grid, this means that there will be 5 more characters to complete the final 2 rows, making this a 9x6 grid.

9x6 is 54. Minus the Random option: 53 characters.

I'd much rather believe the image that had Mewtwo, Ridley and the Chorus Men in it, as it at least was a completed grid.
The strangest thing in this leaked screen is Yoshi in the middle of the Mario characters row (between Bowser and Rosalina), considering he has his own franchise. That makes me strongly believe that the roster wasn't complete when it got leaked, due to disorganization.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I think people on 4chan are trolling us with "leaks" that specifically don't incorporate Mewtwo to troll with us that much harder.

The guy who actually got it right once already said that Mewtwo would be one of the final characters, and until I get some closure that's probably gonna be my most credible source.
Credible and 4chan really don't go together.

But still, I hold out hope.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The strangest thing in this leaked screen is Yoshi in the middle of the Mario characters row (between Bowser and Rosalina), considering he has his own franchise. That makes me strongly believe that the roster wasn't complete when it got leaked, due to disorganization.
There's also this supposed image of All-Star mode being locked due to not having all the characters.

If this isn't the final roster, I wonder how long it will be until we found out who is missing.

Last edited:

Spiderfog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spiderfog
3DS FC
4425-1483-7986

Yoshi's in the middle here, too. And this is an official picture off the Japanese eShop.

I don't see much of a problem with Yoshi being there, IMO. He's more established as a Mario character than he is his own franchise.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX

This is the most "complete" looking roster I've seen so far.

However, it was apparently debunked already.

Although, what made the leak BS exactly? (aside from Dixie Kong looking derped as heck and wolf looking straight outta SSBB-- okay now I think this thing is pretty fake)

*now that I compare it with the post above me, it somewhat looks like this leaked image fills in the areas in between the starters, even if it's fake. Still looks nice :3

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Although, what made the leak BS exactly? (aside from Dixie Kong looking derped as heck and wolf looking straight outta SSBB-- okay now I think this thing is pretty fake)
Jigglypuff and Dr. Mario are using renders that weren't shown off in the leak. Wolf is using a reused render.

Last edited:

Spiderfog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spiderfog
3DS FC
4425-1483-7986

The Dr. Mario and Ness artworks used are fanart and not the ones used in the CSS Leak.

EDIT: :4greninja: 'd.

Last edited:

Thomas Was Everywhere

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicrox2009

Yoshi's in the middle here, too. And this is an official picture off the Japanese eShop.

I don't see much of a problem with Yoshi being there, IMO. He's more established as a Mario character than he is his own franchise.
This, it isn't that weird to have Yoshi with the Mario characters, he's as much of a Mario representative as Mario himself.

cothero

Smash Lord
There's also this supposed image of All-Star mode being locked due to not having all the characters.

If this isn't the final roster, I wonder how long it will be until we found out who is missing.

He was originated in the Mario franchise, yes, but he seems misplaced there. We got Bowser (Mario), Yoshi (Yoshi) then Rosalina (Mario). He should be placed after Rosalina, if that was the case. Yoshi's got his own universe (you know, with the egg symbol) since the original smash. Was that on purpose? It just seems incoherent to me.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
The Dr. Mario and Ness artworks used are fanart and not the ones used in the CSS Leak.

EDIT: :4greninja: 'd.
Maybe it's just me, but Ness's and Jigglypuff's renders look identical to the supposed ESRB leak screen, don't they? If anything, I take issue with the Dixie Kong and Wolf render's looking out of place to disprove this.

EDIT: lol nvm:4greninja:'d. I see now about the Dr. Mario one.

Last edited:

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet
I have a theory regarding the all-star mode. During the Smash Direct, Sakurai said that assist trophies would factor in to all-star, so maybe you have to fight them as well as characters? That would explain why
Maybe it's just me, but Ness's and Jigglypuff's renders look identical to the supposed ESRB leak screen, don't they? If anything, I take issue with the Dixie Kong and Wolf render's looking out of place to disprove this.

EDIT: lol nvm:4greninja:'d. I see now about the Dr. Mario one.
Nope, Ness and Jigglypuff's renders are fanmade, as are many others. That roster uses multiple fanmade and official renders to replace some low quality ones from the original leak.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491

Technically, this doesn't mean anything. Assuming all the pics are from the same ESRB video, this just means that they put a shot/clip of the menu with All-Star locked, but does NOT mean the roster itself was incomplete. The clips are not all consistent.

For example, all the trophies in the imgur leaks have like 686 trophies collected in total, but ONE pic has the Barbara trophy and she's 6 out of only 11 trophies.

It's not like a person was playing. It's just clips. Doesn't make a lot of sense to show a random assortment of characters and apparently a bunch of people saw/know there are more for some reason, but they weren't in the ESRB vid/no pics? Just doesn't seem like a thing that would happen.

Not that it couldn't, but it's like 30 different 'maybe this happened' situations to explain it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Technically, this doesn't mean anything. Assuming all the pics are from the same ESRB video, this just means that they put a shot/clip of the menu with All-Star locked, but does NOT mean the roster itself was incomplete. The clips are not all consistent.
I actually hadn't thought about this before. My initial instinct was to distrust the part about the roster being incomplete since the layout actually looks final to me, despite more icons technically being able to fit in there, but I guess at some point I figured it couldn't hurt to keep an eye on this thing and see if there was still developments left.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Seems like after each passing day everyone is accepting that the CSS roster may actually be the final roster. I had hope for a few more characters but am finding that quite unlikely. I'm satisfied with this roster, but I do hope we get some good DLC support in the future, it's going to suck if Mewtwo misses out again, he really should be there imo.

R0Y

Smash Master
Obvious choices like Ridley and Mewtwo skipped over for characters like Greninja and Bowser Jr? Yeah I'm salty if that's everyone in the game.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
This is ********.

Why would Sakurai even talk at the Pokemon roundtable if Mewtwo wasn't a lock? That's just evil.

I'm seriously done if Mewtwo is not in.

Kumatora

Smash Cadet
wait, why do people think thats the final roster? i thought the general consensus was that it wasn't because all star mode was still locked?
@ Moldy Clay Moldy Clay gave a pretty good explanation a few posts up. Pretty much, it could go either way right now and there's really no way of knowing.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

For example, all the trophies in the imgur leaks have like 686 trophies collected in total, but ONE pic has the Barbara trophy and she's 6 out of only 11 trophies.

It's not like a person was playing. It's just clips. Doesn't make a lot of sense to show a random assortment of characters and apparently a bunch of people saw/know there are more for some reason, but they weren't in the ESRB vid/no pics? Just doesn't seem like a thing that would happen.

Not that it couldn't, but it's like 30 different 'maybe this happened' situations to explain it.
So does that mean the image of the roster could have been a clip when it was incomplete/didn't have everyone unlocked? :troll:

Wait could it? Although if there was another clip later with more characters how come that hasn't been shown?

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
So does that mean the image of the roster could have been a clip when it was incomplete/didn't have everyone unlocked? :troll:

Wait could it? Although if there was another clip later with more characters how come that hasn't been shown?
I do know at E3 a Smash tester that played for demonstrations said they had to play-test all of these unconfirmed characters in the 'Nintendo Tree-house,' even to keep them secret from a lot of the other employees that weren't on a need to know basis.

Why can't the same be said for the ESRB video?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I do know at E3 a Smash tester that played for demonstrations said they had to play-test all of these unconfirmed characters in the 'Nintendo Tree-house,' even to keep them secret from a lot of the other employees that weren't on a need to know basis.

Why can't the same be said for the ESRB video?
yeah I remember that, they said they would have to go into a small room, practically a closet just to test a demo with character X in it.

Does the ESRB act like that though? Are secrets kept amongst secrets there?

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
yeah I remember that, they said they would have to go into a small room, practically a closet just to test a demo with character X in it.

Does the ESRB act like that though? Are secrets kept amongst secrets there?
From my understanding of the ESRB's practices, they only have to be shown a general amount of content, along with specific things that could definitively effect rating. Hence the leaked videos focusing on female Trophies' skirts.
This is just my opinion, and I don't want to list characters and whatnot, but if I was Nintendo and didn't want to put all my eggs in a basket when it came to the ESRB videos, I could, for example, include Lucario in the video to be rated, but probably not have to include Mewtwo due to similarities. This works in reverse, like how Duck Hunt Dog uses ducks as a means to fight, Wario's flatulence, ect. regarding why they are included.
The same can be said against characters like Bayonetta and Snake because the ESRB would definitely need to see videos of them due to their nature as characters, so they are more than likely not in the game.

So in other words, they wouldn't need to show them more than they needed, just like the testers don't. Again, I still wouldn't say there are definitely more characters yet to be revealed, but I can personally assume so. Another argument could be proposed against this logic, 'because why would they need to have Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Falco, ect. in the select screen, under the same reasons?', so I'm by no means claiming clairvoyance in what Nintendo does and doesn't do, just wishful thinking I suppose.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
This is ********.

Why would Sakurai even talk at the Pokemon roundtable if Mewtwo wasn't a lock? That's just evil.

I'm seriously done if Mewtwo is not in.
Someone asked HIM the question about Mewtwo. He wasn't going to say anything the first place.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Obvious choices like Ridley and Mewtwo skipped over for characters like Greninja and Bowser Jr? Yeah I'm salty if that's everyone in the game.
That's not how it works. They probably weren't 'skipped over'.

It seems nobody considers the idea that Sakurai wanted to put them in, or tried to for fans, and ran into problems for one reason or another.

We're all quick to accept that Ice Climbers may have been cut because of 3DS limitations, but nobody wants to consider that some development issues or something else are the reasons behind characters like Ridley or Mewtwo not getting in. No, it's just Sakurai being whimsical and plugging his ears.

He didn't. He was in the audience when someone asked the Pokemon guys and he shouted they were CONSIDERING it. It's not like he lied. He was also trying to get Ice Climbers in. **** happens. Whoops.

wait, why do people think thats the final roster? i thought the general consensus was that it wasn't because all star mode was still locked?
Because it's wishful thinking based on incomplete evidence. The lock itself could be irrelevant, as other screenshots are inconsistent and incomplete, while others are (my example being, one trophy shows only 11 have been collected, while EVERY other trophy suggests all of them are collected). So it could feasibly be from earlier in the video, showing it, then shows the 'full' roster we've seen after. We don't have a timeline.

And text leaks are just text with no proof, so the guys saying 'BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!' don't add up to much.

It could go either way. But the locked All-Star doesn't mean anything.

Likewise, the SSB commercials show All-Star mode UNLOCKED, but we don't have a full roster in those commercials. See?

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else find it odd that in the 'ESRB CSS,' that the bottom two rows where characters are -supposedly- missing is just a black background? I just noticed it.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Does anyone else find it odd that in the 'ESRB CSS,' that the bottom two rows where characters are -supposedly- missing is just a black background? I just noticed it.
Eh, I just don't see why they would bother to fill it in. You're meant to fill that whole screen.

Also, I don't get that so many people think it's ugly. I like all the pretty colors :colorful:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's not how it works. They probably weren't 'skipped over'.

It seems nobody considers the idea that Sakurai wanted to put them in, or tried to for fans, and ran into problems for one reason or another.

We're all quick to accept that Ice Climbers may have been cut because of 3DS limitations, but nobody wants to consider that some development issues or something else are the reasons behind characters like Ridley or Mewtwo not getting in. No, it's just Sakurai being whimsical and plugging his ears.
Comparing IC's problems with these characters doesn't quite work. The thing that makes ICs stand out in comparison to every other character, including Rosalina and Olimar, is that they use a very complex AI to control the second Climber, something the 3DS apparently doesn't support, at least not when it has to support four of those AIs at once. A big or wide model is no concern at all, someone like Ridley or Mewtwo would not cause these kinds of problems just because they have a somewhat complex character design, that could always just be dumped down like they've done with DK. Mewtwo was out-prioritized probably for the same reason he was in Brawl, that's very safe to say, and I'm fairly certain Ridley was never seriously considered, and if he was he was probably dropped in the conceptual phase.

I imagine we're at least going to see Mewtwo as DLC, so that's no biggie. Ridley though, not so much.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'm 100% pro-Ridley. I'd love to be wrong about him. But the evidence is just too grand. Sakurai basically said he was a boss (unless he was trolling), Ridley is freakin' GIANT in basically all incarnations, etc etc. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Spirst

Maybe Ice Climbers will be DLC for the New 3DS, they DID say it has a better CPU.
Wouldn't that fragment the 3DS Smashers? How would online connectivity work for the people who don't have the Ice Climbers on the older 3DS? They wouldn't be able to play with those who do. I don't think Sakurai would do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom