• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post your own mind-games here!

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Tricks, not mindgames.

Ecstasy

(Works only with Fox and Marth)

Effect: Makes the opponent think your going to wavedash towards him/her and attack.

Note: Do this far from the opponent on non-projectile, short-range characters.

(facing towards the opponent) Crouch wavedash towards the opponent (not within the opponents attack range), tap back, wavedash in place, tap forward, perfect wavedash forward.

This mind-game is so effective I'm planning on putting up a video on this.

Sewer

(Works with all characters except Bowser)

Effect: Confuses your opponent

Note: Only do this on non-projectile characters! Do this close and you're owned.

Face your opponent far away. Wavedash in place, crouch, crouch wavedash towards your opponent facing away from your opponent. Perfect wavedash back. Shuffle.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
The thing is, Lesheik, many are not keen on giving away the mindgames that they made up.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i personally jus think mindgames are something that is improvised. i mean some stuff u remember and try over and over again but most of the time i jus try and feel out my opponent and if i feel that he/she will fall for something thatll create an opening ill do it. depending on my opponents level of aggressiveness/defensiveness.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
You will get owned in a tourney. "Pre-made Mindgames" such as the ones you have stated will become extremely predictable. Idk if anyone has ever told you this, but mindgames are not strategies for winning. They are the ability to assess your opponent, and adapt to their playstyle. Well, thats one definition. But what your talking about is more of a technique. I think someone should explain mindgames to him better than I can, or just close the thread. But then again, I'm not a moderator.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
You will get owned in a tourney. "Pre-made Mindgames" such as the ones you have stated will become extremely predictable. Idk if anyone has ever told you this, but mindgames are not strategies for winning. They are the ability to assess your opponent, and adapt to their playstyle. Well, thats one definition. But what your talking about is more of a technique. I think someone should explain mindgames to him better than I can, or just close the thread. But then again, I'm not a moderator.
Mindgame techniques is what it really is. I just posted something that I hoped that would help people with mindgames. When people use mindgames they use movements that confuse their opponent. I never said they were strategies for winning. Of course this technique isn't 100% guaranteed to confuse the opponent or win the match. It was just something that'll help you with you confuse your opponent one movement at a time.

I posted techniques for mindgames that would help ***** the opponent.

All I did was share a pair of movements that confuses opponents. This topic was primarily intended for sharing purposes. It wasn't a guide.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, here's a basic movement pattern that most of you should know, then.

Pulse-Walking
Dash forward for any distance you like, then abruptly wave-dash back. Repeat as many times as necessary.
Can be used as a feint for dash-based attacks, or to draw out certain reactions (spot-dodge, shield, roll).

pdk

Smash Lord
here's a good one, i call it the SWF Shuffle:

you mindgame people who are new to ssbm into thinking that mindgames are 1) a concrete concept and 2) don't require careful conditioning througout the match prior to make them work (i.e. you can always grab after every time you dashdance and IT'S STILL A MINDGAME!)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Meh, I just improvise mine based on the situation. I like the sewer one. I pulse-walk a lot with certain characters, especially mario. Thats probably my favorite way to confuse my oponent or draw an attack.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
LOL i love how people instantly flame noobs who talk about mindgames it so funny XD.

yo Leshiek, im not trying to insult u but i think you should look up more mindgames topics before you post about them. People around here arent so kind wen it comes to stuff like this lol. trust me i learned from experience.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
meh... like majority of people in this thread have already stated, mind games come from noticing tendencies of your opponent, and using a play style, or pattern, that draws them to do a certain thing, allowing you to react effectively.....

one example (i only do this on my friend for he always falls for it): i use falco, i dash forward, wavedash back, short hop laser (he'll try to fsmash) wavedash back, then short dair his ars (always works, but then again, he's kind of a noob). It's just one example, but it utilizes the idea of using knowledge of your opponent (my friend in this case) to help your game

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Well with my Yoshi I try to do a short hop and then they'll think I'm going for an f air or a d air and then I swallow them to turn them into an egg! Sometimes I just egg them with that though it works pretty good but not as good as the swallow.
I also very rarely do this one but, I use the egg roll and it can get annoying to people who don't realize that almost anything out prioritizes it!:laugh:

mog87

Smash Ace
when im about to lose a match i reset the match and jab my opponent in the neck, then do a cartwheel before i exit with their money. score one for the good guys i say.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I know of an occasion where when their opponent was about to Up B to recover the person shouted and the person forgot to up b :lol:

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Here's a good one...I don't know what to call it...

[Works with any smash that has low lag time at the end, like Ganondorf's usmash. Try it out.]

I will use Ganon's usmash as an example. What you do it fully charge the usmash. Your opponent will wait for the smash to end so they can attack you in your lag. After Ganon does the smash, hit A to smack your opponent in the face when they rush at you. Since the usmash has very little lag time you can get a quick jab afterwards. You'll be amazed at how many times someone can fall for this.

It also works with G&W's dsmash. Fully charge the dsmash, and when it ends dtilt your opponent when they run in.

Fire Fox X

Smash Apprentice
Laughing loudly out of no where, is one I use a lot on my friend. He turns to me and his facial expression is like "Wtf is wrong with you?" and I have time to set up a combo. I think he's caught on though. lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Randomly Side+B during a completely irrelevant situation.

Nobody expects the Peach Bomber/Chain/Egg Roll/Luigi Missile/Confusion/Skull Bash/Din's Fire!

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I like the laughing at random and unplugging of controller one

Otherwise just adapt to your opponent and make them up on your own

Search FTW btw

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
O.K. If this is the definition of mindgames, I guess I will share some secrets and post a few of the most unbeatable.

-Pick Bowser Against Marth

-With Marth, make your opponent think ur gonna Fsmash...And then actually do it

-With Falco, don't use any lasers

-Rest with Jigglypuff in the middle of nowhere

These "mindgames" are sure to confuse your opponent.

and btw Pustulio, I think you should be DJC Nairing with Yoshi.

Fire Fox X

Smash Apprentice
I suppose I should post my in game mind games? lol
I Dash Dance like crazy, even if I'm far away. Then when my opponent (My friend lol) comes in close and I'm dash Dancing, I can grab him and whatnot. ^_^'

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Here's a good one...I don't know what to call it...

[Works with any smash that has low lag time at the end, like Ganondorf's usmash. Try it out.]

I will use Ganon's usmash as an example. What you do it fully charge the usmash. Your opponent will wait for the smash to end so they can attack you in your lag. After Ganon does the smash, hit A to smack your opponent in the face when they rush at you. Since the usmash has very little lag time you can get a quick jab afterwards. You'll be amazed at how many times someone can fall for this.

It also works with G&W's dsmash. Fully charge the dsmash, and when it ends dtilt your opponent when they run in.
im pretty sure you know, but its not really the low lag afterwards, its a low IASA frame. you can interrupt the animation pretty quickly, and it looks like it glitched or something. great for catching people off guard.

shoe

Smash Ace
Ok, a funny trick (note: trick, not mindgame). Turn around while running, so not during the initial animation, but later, your character will turn around all clumsily and laggy. However, this animation can be jumpcancelled. So you can, for example, perform an aerial out of it.

Now, a simple, fictional example of how a trick like this can be used to trick, or if you wish to call it so ‘mindgame’ someone. Imagine player A as Doc vs player B as Fox on final destination.

Doc rushes up to Fox who is short hop blastering, and at approximately 2 body lengths away the doc suddenly goes into the turn-around-laggy animation.

The Fox notices and goes in for a grab.

However, the doc jumpcancelled the animation and Fox eats a Fair to his face.

Next instance Doc rushes in, he goes into the lag animation again. Player B, not an idiot, sees this and expects the Fair, so he attempts to shieldgrab player A.

Player A, however, expected player B to do exactly this. Therefore, he cancelled the turnaround animation with a wavegrab.

Now, on another instance, with player A on a high percentage, he runs at player B again. This time, player B is prepared. He has realized that player A doesn’t create more options by doing his little trick, in fact, player A is limiting his options to anything that can be done out of a jump (which is still a lot mind you). He expects that player A wants to play a guessing game with him, making him guess between wavegrab and f-air. Considering this, combined with player A’s high percentage, player B decides to throw out an up-smash, knowing that it, if timed correctly, will cut through both things he expects player A to do.

Player A, this time around, has also considered his percentage, knowing that he could die from both a grab-uair and the upsmash we know player B is planning, he decides to see what player B has up his sleeve. He performs the only optional action that does not implement a jump, an option that originally would have set him up to be grabbed almost guaranteed, he lets the animation finish and avoids the smash, while looking into player B’s cards.

Nub on smashboards who has watched the vid of the match: lawl player A should wavedash back instead of turn around during running, he got lucky player B is a noob and upsmashed randomly lolol!!1

Omg I write too much

Lesheik

Smash Lord
LOL i love how people instantly flame noobs who talk about mindgames it so funny XD.

yo Leshiek, im not trying to insult u but i think you should look up more mindgames topics before you post about them. People around here arent so kind wen it comes to stuff like this lol. trust me i learned from experience.
A HappyNigga, I'm no noob because I made a mistake. Check out my other posts and you'll see what I am.

Let me rephrase this topic: What do people fall for easily in a match?

There. You see it now. I think everyone knows what mindgames are.

KEYWORDS: MIND, and GAMES.

In terms of Smash:

MIND: Player's mind

GAMES: GAMES

Mindgames are just confusing the opponent. That's it. This topic was intended for people to share movements/patterns that confuses opponents.

Allright, HappyNigga? This topic is more on fun than an actual guide.

You don't have to know the whole meaning of the term. You just need to know what it is.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Here's some mindgames:

To confuse them: Hit ><><><><><><> on the control stick.

Instant tournament game win: Eat a lot of mexican the night before (A real lot). Mid-game, let out this huge fart. Win the game when they are running away screaming because the smell burns their eyes.

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
I got another really good one.
Ok, you wavedash forward than back again. Then you short hop into a waveland. Then you throw you controller at the other player (works best if you hit them around the temple), and your set up for at least one smash (after you pick up the controller of course).

A5modeu5

Smash Cadet
thats a really good one
if your opponent is going to recover scream ahhh (to confuse him) and press random buttons on his controller

i like to do this

Banks

Smash Hero
I've got a new one, its called up-b in face. I play as fox and in the middle of tha stage bust a big phat up-b in they face. works everytime.

REDfox1

Smash Journeyman
ok if u want a mindgame use fox and beat up your enemy 2 70 or 80 percent throw them forward and if they dont tech then shine cancel 2 upsmash

HolyChef

Smash Ace
Tricks, not mindgames.

Ecstasy

(Works only with Fox and Marth)

Effect: Makes the opponent think your going to wavedash towards him/her and attack.

Note: Do this far from the opponent on non-projectile, short-range characters.

(facing towards the opponent) Crouch wavedash towards the opponent (not within the opponents attack range), tap back, wavedash in place, tap forward, perfect wavedash forward.

This mind-game is so effective I'm planning on putting up a video on this.

Sewer

(Works with all characters except Bowser)

Effect: Confuses your opponent

Note: Only do this on non-projectile characters! Do this close and you're owned.

Face your opponent far away. Wavedash in place, crouch, crouch wavedash towards your opponent facing away from your opponent. Perfect wavedash back. Shuffle.
so now theyre not mindgames lol but tricks? somebody was getting frustrated.

Top Bottom