• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post-Apocalypse Texas Showdown Results + Shoutouts - 12/22/12 - Houston, TX

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Wobbles - Grats on first. I'm glad you had fun at this tournament. Thanks for all the advice and support you gave me.
Baka4moe - Good job on getting second and beating up the rest of Texas. I'm sorry I gave you a really boring and easy set. If you don't mind, I would like to play you some more before you leave.
Sung - Your hair is great.
ARC - You're really funny. Hopefully I'll have your Marth sprite ready next time I see you. I also just checked and I have your matches against Sung, MT, Wobbles, and Tirno all recorded if you were wondering.
Mojo - I'm not sure why anyone thought it would be a good idea to give you silly string.
MT- I'll admit that I was thinking I might have had a chance at taking a game or two off you based purely on our friendlies we played about 6 months ago when I was last in Austin. However, these hopes were crushed when we played a couple friendlies the night before the tournament. It's true that I wouldn't have Wobbled, but I wasn't even able to get a good synced grab on you. I don't think you'll have to worry about me for a long time. By the way, if you want me to Wobble in friendlies, just ask. That goes for everyone as well, I guess. I don't do it by default because it can be pretty boring, I don't learn much from it, and I want people to actually want to play me.
Tirno - I have found a good Falco sprite and will start working on it right away.
GlibbyGlobby - I know you're not that happy with your performance this tourney, but I think you did great. You've also got pretty much all your matches recorded so I guess you've got a lot to study up on now.
QPac - I loved your trash talking. It's what made Sung vs Mojo more hype than any of the other matches.
Dank13 - It was fun hanging out with you at dinner. I know you're super busy now, but if you get a chance you should show up to smashfests more.
Obsoleet - Thanks for running White Elephant. It was a lot of fun.
Thoraxe - Hey GABE. Grats on your placing. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Good job beating Kal and Tarzan and taking Kevin to last game. That's no small feat.
Pho - Good seeing you again. It sucks that you had to fight so many gimmicky characters.
Kal - Thanks for helping run the tournament. I know that you don't like Houston as much as Austin, but you're really cool and smashfests are way better when you show up. I've also had the sprite I made you sitting at my apartment for the last 5 or so months. Hopefully I'll remember to give it to you one of these days.
timerB0mb - It was really cool meeting one of the old school legends. Hopefully we'll see you around in the future.
yumcha - Guy who beat Kevin 3 times. I think different Kevins count too.
Linkbane - I can't believe you were actually able to get some wins at your first tournament. You Asian prodigies are so scary.
Velox - I have mixed feelings about our set. If you had gone Peach you could have easily 2-0'd me and made it out of pools instead. I know your character choice was for yourself rather than wanting to go easy on me, but I can't help but feel like you deserved the win. Thanks though for giving me all of the Peach practice and advice when we play friendlies. I think it's only because of that that I've been able to take on all of these pocket Peaches people keep throwing at me.
Gea - I similar feelings about our set as I do about Velox and mine. Our set was really close despite you only having played Sheik for about a week. I have no idea how I would have done against your Doc, but it had me somewhat worried.
WaterlessFish - I see you trying to convince others to go Peach on me. I'm really glad I didn't have to play you this time. It's cool that the Plano kids have started traveling.
Risu - Thanks for coming out to this. I hope you enjoyed your first tournament. Good job coming up with a tag, even if I don't know what it means. I hope we'll be able to play a lot more before you leave for Tulsa. It's hard to get better with no one to play against.
GHNeko - Thanks for coming out to this! I really enjoyed the chance to try out 2.5 before the release date. I'm guessing I probably won't get a chance to so play you again before you leave, so I'll try to work on my Ivysaur and hopefully give you better matches next time you're in town.
Noc - You weren't even here and you still managed to be one of the most helpful people at the tournament. Thanks for lending all of the equipment. I still have your two TVs in my garage. Let me know when you get back in town and I'll drop them off.
Sung's carpool and Louisiana carpool - I was really looking forward to the chance to play some OoC people I didn't know but I somehow only ended up playing QPac. I'm really disappointed that I missed my chance. I guess I'll have to travel more myself.
Luci and Vooby - Why?
Dj Phatz and Cha Chi - Enter next time!
TGM, GNES, RT, Tallman, and other Brawly people - Thanks a lot for coming to this. It was really nice seeing you guys.
Highschool Kids - You guys did a great job. Thanks so much for running this. It was a great success and this was only your first tournament. I'm going to be really sad if you all go to OoS colleges.

I've got some matches recorded including all the singles finals. This is my first time splitting and uploading videos to Youtube so please try to be patient with me. I'm going to try to get them all up within the next week.

Some people left some things at my house. I've found a gamecube in a carrying case, tattered gloves without fingers, and a Nike hoodie. Let me know if you know who owns these.

Kal

Smash Champion
I promised Jake that I would try and make the next Smashfest. If I break a promise to Jake, that's 7 years of bad luck. So I will definitely try and make it to the next one. <3

Oh, and also I misplaced a gamecube in a carrying case, tattered gloves without fingers, and a Nike hoodie.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Date-wise I'm thinking sometime in February, maybe even early March, but the date isn't set at all. So far my plans event-wise are starting earlier, running a novice bracket ,and maybe crew battles at the end.
Definitely start earlier like 11 or 12. It was odd starting at 1.

taylosun

Smash Cadet
Sun - Fun pools set! We should get in some friendlies next time.
Wow someone remembered me! I think next time I can drag everyone out of my area we're going to try and set up a place to play friendlies at and try to get in as many games as we can.

We all had a good time by the way and will definitely keep coming.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Does one of them happen to have a sticker for oranges in the center? The controller itself is blue I think.

EDIT: Oh and thanks, Hannah. I try.
Yes, I'm guessing that's your's? Do you want to pick it up at the next smashfest or something?

baka4moé

Smash Champion
good lord the amount of comments on Sung's hair is hilarious LOL

edit: @WEMP my bad dude, if you approach me and want to play ill most likely say yes though, especially since i was expecting to play you!
@Hannah it wasnt boring lol, i definitely noticed a lot of improvement in just a few months!

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
There was a ton of people I wanted to talk/play with :/ (frisbie, grinin, gea, wemp, obsoleet...)
I don't know if yall are being serious or not about my hair either..

Anyway love ya all

And it was also a really good thing I lost to you Baka reinforced a lot of things I should be doing and I won't forget it again

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Believe me, Sung. Your hair is gorgeous. I'm all sorts of jelly inside. :embarrass:

Also, 2nd place, Baka? Good stuff, dude!

Diglob

Smash Cadet
GlibbyGlobby here. With shoutouts. *sigh* Here goes a few hours.

Frisbie, Phillip, and whoever else had the initiative to even make this tournament happen - Wow, this was a huge success for you guys. You guys are ****ing great for having the initiative to go out and find a great venue and just making this tournament happen all by yourselves. You guys are proof that there's more to a community than just good players (unintentional insult, lol. Definitely try to take it as a compliment), and that makes me insanely happy to see.

People who helped T.O. this tournament - This kinda ties in with the above shoutout, but yeah, the same amount of thanks goes out to you guys. Frisbie and Phillip had the initiative, but that didn't make them any more experienced with running a tournament. Big thanks to everybody who helped them out.

Louisiana crew - I'm really happy you guys came so far for this tournament and I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Travelling out-of-state the day before a big tournament and playing your best is so hard, but I'm glad you guys made it all the way out to Houston regardless.

=====================================================

And now some individual shoutouts:

MT - While I think it's a very safe statement for me to make that there's truly not a single person on this planet more disappointed with our set than myself, I think it's really great that you're so down about our set too. You have an amazing and very prominent challenge-loving mentality in this game, and I think it has everything to do with how good you are. If I may say so, I don't even think you know how good you are. Luckily, your time is coming very soon! Apex is going to be your first national, and you're a shoe-in for round 2 of pools. I'm really excited to see what you do in round 2 of pools, particularly if you get a few Falcos, lol.

And I think it's nice that you'll john for me and say I wasn't playing at my best, but there's a reason for why I didn't play well, and it's not because I choked against you. I had actually been playing Sheik for the whole week before this tournament with hopes of using her. Unfortunately, it just didn't happen on tournament day. I wish I knew why. In friendlies at the tournament venue (before the tournament actually started), I was just missing basic things with her that I had been getting the whole week before the tournament in practice sessions. It was to the point that I was accidentally f-throwing with her instead of d-throwing about half the time. Long story short, I decided to drop my plans of using Sheik just about half an hour or so before singles started. I played Falco even though I hadn't practiced Falco at all for this tournament, and I'm ****ing lucky to have even made it to seventh place in my opinion. The point of this whole story is pretty much just that there was a perfectly tangible reason for how I performed at this tournament. I didn't come through losers bracket as far as I did just so I could choke against you. I gave our set everything I had (given the aforementioned circumstances), but it just wasn't enough. It wasn't even close. There's definitely no need to john for me. I could've definitely put up a better fight, but it just wasn't in the cards that day.

And seriously, you ****ing **** Falco, LOL. Don't act like it's not true! I kept all of my games with AustinRC really close in both pools and bracket and even took a game off of him in bracket. You, on the other hand, four-stocked me. I have a bit more to say, but this shoutout is already pretty huge. In short, just keep ****** and I'll try to keep up! You're truly a gem and you're going to shine at Apex. Calling it now!

QPac - I love you. I'm not even going to tell you why. I'm just letting you know.

Admiral - Hand warmers should be banned! :awesome: I'm basically going to tell you what I've already told you, but I'm going to say it for the public record. You should be really proud of how you did here. Placing as people expect you to place at a tournament just doesn't turn heads, no matter how good you are. It's only when people DON'T place as expected - whether they place higher or lower - that gets people talking. And you have certainly got people talking after this tournament. You only placed one spot below me! LOL. Good work. Every win you got was so hype and so hilarious. Your performance at this tournament was so much better than mine, lol. <3

Taylor - Fun set, man! I really hope to see you back in Houston again. Again, I really appreciate you coming all the way out here to represent Louisiana.

Thoraxe - I enjoyed our set very much as well, lol. Hearing people from my own city cheer against me just tickled me somewhere inside. I think you've got talent and I'm eager to see what you're going to be bringing to the table in the future. Congrats on taking a game off of me, but if you ever want the whole set from me in the future, you can rest assured that you've got your work cut out for you. But I think you'll work hard to try and get that set from me one day, and that excites me. :)

Freddy - My revenge is finally exacted. :cool: I enjoyed our friendlies. Definitely come back if you can.

JF - Thank you for noticing and complimenting the Hello Kitty necklace! Seriously, it appears to be the case that you were the only one in the venue who truly appreciates art. Dammit, I wanted our rematch. :glare: Even if there was a pretty damn high chance I would've lost, I just really wanted to play you.

Pho - Aaaaaaaaahhhhh, your bracket... :awesome::awesome::awesome: There's always next time, right?

Kal - Lol, Kal. I am forever your #1 fan.

gaR - I soooooo stole our set. XD The score is 2-2 now. Your rivalry is one of those things that just keeps me going. You got so much better too. ****. I'm going to have to work really hard to stay ahead. :glare:

Kradi - This magic 8 ball is so ****ing infuriating. Fun gift, though. I've always wanted a portable troll. :awesome:

Dawn - You did well for your first tournament in so long! Awesome, dude. Keep up the good work. I know you're disappointed with how you did, but that's just part of having a good attitude toward the game in my opinion. Just keep bringing it. :bee:

GNES - We hardly ever cross paths, but when we do, I always have fun talking to you. Shame that you can't stop by more Smashfests because of your circumstances. You'd be a ton of fun to have and you're pretty decent at Melee...for a Brawl player. :awesome:

yumcha - The legendary Kevin slayer! Just like Gnes, you're always great fun whenever you stop by. So I'm really glad you came by. :) And I'm very much more excited about the fact that you spared me and didn't take me out of tournament. :):):)

Tarzan - You heard what the magic 8 ball said. Guess you're stuck with that hat for a while. Good of you to come by.

Linkbane - 4th seed at your first tournament? Yeah, that's pretty sick. We've still never afforded ourselves the opportunity to just sit down and chill. Maybe one of these days...

Velox - Thanks for the support throughout the day! There's just something nice about having somebody who will go out of their way to try and watch all your games. Small gestures can mean a lot. Thanks for being a friend and a fan. ;)

Perfect Engrish - Seriously, though, who can hate you?

W.E.M.P. - WTF, you were here? Dude, I didn't even know. I would've wanted to at least say hi. Maybe next time. :c

GG - Nice job on the improvement! It seems like you've been taking the game more seriously lately and it's really awesome when that devotion pays off, both for you and for the rest of the community. Keep it up.

Gea - Get orbited. 8D

Vash - The Kevin Slayer got to you too. XD He's just too unstoppable, man. We just have to hope that the Smash gods let us avoid him in tournament altogether.

Bear - You're a lot more in practice than I thought you'd be! Good showing.

Clay and Paul - Maaaaan. Shame you guys couldn't show up. Big thanks for lending the tournament your equipment, though.

Luci and Von - *megasigh*

Yannis - lmao

And that's pretty much it for shoutouts. Definitely don't overthink things if I didn't leave you one. :bee: This tournament was really great. I kinda wish I had gotten around to talking to all the new faces (and just talking more to everybody I already knew), but I was taking this tournament very seriously. :urg: Aaaaand I'm not exactly a social animal. :urg: But as a shoutout to everybody, I hope your Christmas turns out well. 8D

And as a cliffnote, yeah, your hair was pretty ****ing amazing, Sung.

dawn001

Smash Ace
GGs to everyone.....this tournament was a huge success...sorry i left early and dint get to play everyone els ...but next time ill make it up....oh and a huge SHOUT OUT to OldSchool09! dint even know i had a fan..made my day...:-) .

my keyboard/ claw needs more work.... lets do this!!

:phone:

QPAC

Smash Rookie
QPac - I love you. I'm not even going to tell you why. I'm just letting you know.
Oh, Glib-to-the-Globster, I know, believe me, I know ;)

Also, all I'm sayin is, next time, there should be an Austin vs. Dallas vs. Houston crew battle series.

Wait, yeah, you're right. It's not much of a competition when Dallas will just sweep both crews.

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
Also, all I'm sayin is, next time, there should be an Austin vs. Dallas vs. Houston crew battle series.

Wait, yeah, you're right. It's not much of a competition when Dallas will just sweep both crews.
I lol'd, as Dallas' secret weapon once told me, "soon the egg that is Dallas will hatch." maybe if gabe and I can convince the other 3 Dallas regulars to show up next time, we'll hatch all over y'alls faces, hope you like your egg whites. First we'll have to cannabilize Sethlon for his warrior's heart, then we'll see who's laughing (everyone). Oh we get sung and wobbles too if they're in town.

HellPirate

Smash Rookie
Yes, I'm guessing that's your's? Do you want to pick it up at the next smashfest or something?
Uhh ohh. Well then, that's actually Obsoleet's controller which I was borrowing (further proof, the R bumper catches a little), could you return it to him by any chance?

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I finished uploading all the videos I have, including all the singles finals. There's no sound for most of them. Sorry about that.

Why not? D:
I already spent quite a lot on traveling to tournaments this year so I decided to sit this one out. Also NJ in January is really really cold.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he's pretty active, so I'll probably see him some time in the next week and give it to him.

I have one more controller that someone left as well.

I finished uploading all the videos I have including all the singles finals. There's no sound for most of them. Sorry about that.
Awesome, can't wait to watch them!

Also, do you want to play today?

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
pho - salty shoutouts

1: Wobbles - way to give me hope of winning a match. gg
2: Baka4moe - didn't play you besides our doubles match. dang, i didn't know you guys were sandbagging!
3: Sung - way to sandbag in friendlies. maybe it was your controller. but i'm salty because of you not trying. your sheik is pretty good but i should not have won the couple of friendlies we played. it's kinda annoying 'cause umm, we probably won't ever get to play again so it was pretty lame that i wasn't playing sung.
4: ARC - yo! i expected you to take second honestly. i haven't watched the matches, but your sheik game is very scary so idk how you got 4th! at least you outplaced mojo :awesome:
5: Mojo - hey dude, you coulda taken sung but at some points you made dumb decisions or maybe you were ahead of me mentally or something, but you had plenty of opportunities to take some easy edgeguards. at least, that's what it seemed to me.
5: MT - what glibbyglobby says, you don't know how good you really are lol. thanks for driving me around. favorite asian!
7: Tirno - austin vs tirno for best in austin? ft10 plz
7: GlibbyGlobby - yo stop sandbagging. i h8 you. nice games! it seems i always catch you when you're down from your tournament performance. good **** beating taylor, goddamn! i had trouble playing him.
9: QPac - thanks for the friendlies! see you at apex. your falco is too lame right now, play fox moar so i can taste that sweet nectar of defeat.
9: Admiral - good games hannah! i shouldn't underestimate you anymore, i thought my broken character would make everything go smoothly but then i found myself 3 stocks behind and i tried to come back, but it was too late! gg's. still salty though, mm or something next time.
9: Taylor - good games, thanks for coming over to houston to play us! your marth gave me trouble, and i got the impression that you don't play much fox. i think you have a problem with falco or something. powershield more and you'll be great
9: Dank13 - damn, don't mess with ma boy MT. we didn't play this tournament, gayyyyyy in all the right ways <3
13: Obsoleet - noooooooooooo i thought we were partners. thanks for teaming, and no thanks for taking me out. i gotta find some secrets against the luigi matchup but i don't feel like studying the matchup. damnit i guess i'll never be better unless we play a ****ton of friendlies and i get a hang of it.
13: Thoraxe - way to beat kal! from your performances i can tell you've gotten better. seriouslies next time pls
13: Freddy - yo freddy! good job on beating sung, but i think he sandbags 'cause he gets ***** then gets top three. wtf. anywho, thanks for the friendlies! falco vs falco is fun, and thanks for tolerating my marth for a little while! your accent (i'm sure in LA it isn't an accent) is intriguing. if we ever see each other again, we should do more combo video material
13: JF - what did jake play against you? i kinda want to make you into a jake killing machine.
17: Tim - yo tim! your fox is smooth but we didn't play any friendlies, just the doubles set. idk how obsoleet and i won that actually lolz
17: Pho - you suck broooooo
17: Kal - dude, you need to prepare for tourneys. you're a great player, but i think you just attended so you could get a chance to see me :awesome:
17: timerB0mb - you sounded pretty smashed out by the time i asked for friendlies. sorry to play you when you were in that state of mind. gg's anyway though!
17: gaR - goddamnit ivan. i shoulda gotten you in my bracket. that way i coulda done well in bracket.
17: JWU - jwu, stop sandbagging, *****. your marth is getting so good but idk why you went different characters.
17: Kradi - didn't play you, but it was nice having you around to liven up the atmosphere! thanks for doubles friendlies. good luck over there far way
17: Dawn - didn't play and i really wanted to. i guess you're taking a break from tournaments or something? lame brah
25: GNES - woah i didn't expect you to show up. way to give it to obsoleet, better than what i did. your falcon's got reads and if you focus on melee, i have a feeling you're gonna go far.
25: TGM - who this. thanks for showing up and supporting
25: yumcha - who this. thanks for showing up and supporting. were you the guy with the ear things?
25: D - what kinda name is this!@>@?@@??
25: Tarzan - didn't play you in friendlies, but you're better than this
25: Linkbayne - who this! hope you had fun
25: Velox - wtf chris. you're better than this. focus on a single character, ffs.
25: Perfect Engrish - almost! keep practicing. tough pool though. kinda choked against jwu but i'm sure you already thought about that.
33: W.E.M.P. - if you need any more tips, just let me know! i'm trying to learn peach too, she's too good. hope you had fun and learned something
33: Dr. Jack Carlson, MD. - great tag, who are you
33: Klept - whaaaaat your name reminds me of klaptraps
33: RDNG - this name is like DANGER but without the vowels and the R on the other side. or it could be READING without the vowels >.>
33: GG - indeed
33: 0% - just add a ten in front and give it that
33: Gea - way to do things for our community?? i'm not sure who you are but i see your name on the boards and kal likes you so i guess i like you too
33: WaterlessFish - keep trying and keep getting better!
41: Boz - you left! nooooo i didn't even give you the smash tips!
41: Tallman - thanks for showing up! idk you though
41: Vash - yo wtf dude. you're better than this. i'll find a way to make you a great master of stuff
41: Cell - cool name?
41: Bear - cooler name?
41: Hnd1 - this reminds me of the russian helicopter in MGS
41: Risu - i remember we couldn't find you
41 Sun - oh gosh a lot of confusion between sun and sung. thanks for showing up!

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
3: Sung - way to sandbag in friendlies. maybe it was your controller. but i'm salty because of you not trying. your sheik is pretty good but i should not have won the couple of friendlies we played. it's kinda annoying 'cause umm, we probably won't ever get to play again so it was pretty lame that i wasn't playing sung.
Ah if only you knew...it hasn't been that long since I mained sheik so I improved a lot from the beginning of the day and everyone used spacies here so every friendly was awesome/beneficial for me. I also lost to freddy in pools and that helped a lot too for my upcoming fox matches. Also towards the end of doubles bracket (after I had already played you) Taylor the angel let me borrow one of his spares (which I then bought later). My old controller wouldn't let me reverse needle cancel for some dumb reason (and I SD'd at like 0 trying to do it right when we played). I lost to freddy with the new godly controller he 2-0d me legit (he edgeguarded me pretty well).

I thought you were really good though (I felt pretty uncomfortable with the falco MU after we played), and if anyone knows me they know I RARELY RARELY sandbag even in friendlies. I also felt uncomfortable after losing badly to JF's falco but as we played more I realized a lot of things I was doing wrong.

But yea don't sell yourself short I think you're pretty good if we played 1v1 for awhile I could definitely tell you what's missing but for now (some basics...) you should think about what the purpose of all of your shield pressure does (what do the different mix ups achieve), think about what you need to do depending on the distance between you and your opponent after landing with a laser, tech skill needs to be on point not dropping combos messing up pressure or accidentally doing a sh forward instead of dash sh forward, laser control needs to be perfect...etc...basically your execution needs to meet your intentions

Oh, and every falco should be able to shorten their illusion 100% at will (it's broken).

AustinRC

Smash Lord
4: ARC - yo! i expected you to take second honestly. i haven't watched the matches, but your sheik game is very scary so idk how you got 4th! at least you outplaced mojo :awesome:
Sorry Jose, I'll try harder next time! :D

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
but your falco was just getting good

you set yourself at least 6 months back

longer considering falco is da bess character and sheik just can't put on consistent pressure

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Lol I started melee back in 05. Gamefaqs baby. I faced Gar when his tag was Ivan.

Dawn I remember all my wins. Ever heard my win at hobo 12?

D

Deleted member

Weren't there 2 more setups recording? Should we expect more videos?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I know of one more recording setup that has not uploaded, I believe that is the setup you played Baka on. I'll get on him about putting those up, but other than that I believe that all of the recorded tournament matches are here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TexasMelee/featured

On a side note, I am thinking about having the next tournament sometime next month, still not sure on the date. Probably late February.

Top Bottom