• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post 1.0.4 Ike

ThatManMa

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-5034-8443
Has anyone discovered any significant changes for Ike? I've heard that his movement speed is increased along with faster nair and fair. If these changes are true, would it drastically change Ike play styles?

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I hear fair is much better now

Dtilt is possibly faster
Bair is slightly better(?)

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
Fair is significantly better, it seems to start up earlier and have less landing lag,
Down tilt sends vertical not sure if that a buff or nerf since it will allow more combos but less gimps off stage.
alot of people are saying bair does 1% more damage and slightly better knockback but im not sure
Also downsmash supposedly sends people more horizontally but im also unsure about that

Icylobster

Smash Rookie
From another thread (link)

Ike :
-Fair is significantly faster
-Looks like it can autocancel as well
-His Nair comes a bit quicker
-Jab looks fixed so all 3 attacks connect properly
-Ending lag on his Ftilt and Dtilt reduced
-Back air seems faster but I'm not sure at all
-Back air's damages increased by 1%

So it looks like he got a little bit of love. I don't know much anything about attacks hitting the characters at different angles than before, but it sounds interesting. I hope to look at some of this stuff on Friday when I get a hold on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
F-Air being much faster makes everything better.

His rushdown gets better because F-Air has a very nice range and with auto cancel, it's less punishable.
Retreating F-Airs is much better because of the auto cancel. With Wii U, you can do really nice retreating F-Airs like Brawl using the C-Stick...which is something Ike really wants. No more running straight into shield grabs unless you're lazy.
Jab works on everyone. There was a good portion of the cast that jab 1-2-3 doesn't work on, notably Greninja. Jab punishes work much better, and the low percent combos like FF N-Air into jab is pretty much guaranteed, even if you can't jab cancel them.

Back Air dealing more damage, and has better KB makes it both a better RAR and a better kill move in general, it makes your ledge drop Bair edgeguards even stronger.

D-Tilt change gets you a free F-Air at low-mid percents and N-Air change makes you get guaranteed F-Airs off one upwards to 80.

His only real problems now is gonna be Diddy, and characters with excellent zoning abilities.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
F-Air being much faster makes everything better.

His rushdown gets better because F-Air has a very nice range and with auto cancel, it's less punishable.
Retreating F-Airs is much better because of the auto cancel. With Wii U, you can do really nice retreating F-Airs like Brawl using the C-Stick...which is something Ike really wants. No more running straight into shield grabs unless you're lazy.
Jab works on everyone. There was a good portion of the cast that jab 1-2-3 doesn't work on, notably Greninja. Jab punishes work much better, and the low percent combos like FF N-Air into jab is pretty much guaranteed, even if you can't jab cancel them.

Back Air dealing more damage, and has better KB makes it both a better RAR and a better kill move in general, it makes your ledge drop Bair edgeguards even stronger.

D-Tilt change gets you a free F-Air at low-mid percents and N-Air change makes you get guaranteed F-Airs off one upwards to 80.

His only real problems now is gonna be Diddy, and characters with excellent zoning abilities.
Really good impressions. Don't think an Ike with customs will really have any trouble with Diddy and (non-transcendent) projectile zoners.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Sliding Counter is gone, maybe Palutena's as well.
Confirming Palutena's is gone as well.

what's sliding counter?
Transitioning quickly from dashing to counter for Ike and Palutena made them do a quick slide forward while in counter stance. Pretty cool since you could do things like slide into attacks with your counter ready.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Fair doesn't auto-cancel, way more lag than bair and nair

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It auto-cancels at full-hop range, use F-Air at the apex of the jump.

TeeJay308

Smash Cadet
So retreating, non fast-fall fair is a safe way to hit someone now? I'm guessing "auto-cancel" means that it doesn't have any landing lag when you time it a certain way?

I'm a little confused now, in what other way did they buff fair? Does being able to auto-cancel mean that they decreased landing lag on the move?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Fair is good enough where you're pretty safe even when suffering from the landing lag. The swing is faster without much else changing, meaning it ends that much faster, too. Because it swings faster, you can reach that lower diagonal you couldn't before.

D

Deleted member 269706

Is it just me, or does Dair seem a little faster?

D

Deleted member 269706

Sliding Counter is gone, maybe Palutena's as well.
Just dash > tap jump > Down B. Works almost exactly the same, and just as fast. Just jump a second earlier than you would normally press counter.

I haven't noticed any real change to his Dair, but then again I don't use it often.
Hmm, maybe it's just me...thanks for letting me know though.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKD

Smash Lord
Short hop fair does autocancel if you buffer it and not fast-fall. So now it destroys short hop approaches which would've been way more significant if Sheik didn't get nerfed to the ground.

Nair and bair seem the same to me and bair's always autocanceled. That stuff is probably placebos all over (the damage increase on bair is true though). The dtilt buff is excellent; the cool-down used to be ridiculous for such a weak move and now it even sets up for stuff. I didn't notice any difference in Ike's ftilt, maybe because it still has a lot of cooldown.

I can't believe they were willing to nerf kill power for any character. If anything, we need more kill power in Smash 4. Rosalina and Diddy were the only characters that warranted nerfs imo; but never to kill power. The game shouldn't be any slower.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Confirming Palutena's is gone as well.

Transitioning quickly from dashing to counter for Ike and Palutena made them do a quick slide forward while in counter stance. Pretty cool since you could do things like slide into attacks with your counter ready.
on that's such crap. why would they nerf the already low-caste ike?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
To be fair, I can't think of a situation where you are given the opportunity to slide counter into anything. That would imply the opponent is charging an attack nowhere near you.
But it may have been useful for projectiles with reasonable startup...idk

@ TKD TKD , I would very much trade KO power for speed if our entire moveset was 90% KO power, which was the case for Brawl Ike. Now we have some of the best close and midrange tools to rack up damage and can kill with Utilt, Ftilt, Bair, and Usmash.

Last edited:

TKD

Smash Lord
Yeah Ike has an arsenal now. Sideb, jab, dtilt, aerials, he has multiple options for the same situations and they all work differently. The revamp is gorgeous.

D

Deleted member 269706

Yeah Ike has an arsenal now. Sideb, jab, dtilt, aerials, he has multiple options for the same situations and they all work differently. The revamp is gorgeous.
The best part is, I'm sure this won't be his last buff.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
This patch is really icing on the cake, we lost a 16% jab but won in pretty much every other possible aspects. A very good mid-range option, a much better recovery, better mobility, better counter, better edgeguard, combos, and now a better anti-air/anti-tall characters in sh fair. Can't wait to get my hands on wiiU Ike. If things stay that way, he's looking to be absolutely brutal.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
This is awesome. I'm happy for all of the Ike mains. I'm a Shulk main myself, and he was also notably buffed. Turns out the developers of Smash 4 really know what they're doing.

With all of these recent changes, I'm highly considering subbing Ike.

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
This patch is just what Ike needed. I sub Ike, and these buffs he got just feel amazing! (Dat F-Air) I'm really lucky that my two most played characters got large buffs in this patch.

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
This patch is just what Ike needed. I sub Ike, and these buffs he got just feel amazing! (Dat F-Air) I'm really lucky that my two most played characters got large buffs in this patch.
Looks like you and I are in the same boat Monado Boy. I feel like my favorite characters are overpowered now. And my toughest MU, Sheik, was nerfed into the ground. Now, I will go destroy tournaments with the best swordsmen in this game.

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
Looks like you and I are in the same boat Monado Boy. I feel like my favorite characters are overpowered now. And my toughest MU, Sheik, was nerfed into the ground. Now, I will go destroy tournaments with the best swordsmen in this game.
I wouldn't say overpowered, but I'd definitely say this patch will be pushing Shulk and Ike into the Mid tier at the very least whenever a proper tier list is developed.

Last edited:

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
So how does the autocanceling work ive asked before i apologize if its a stupid question i just havent gotten a good grasp on how it works

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You can auto cancel F-Air with a SH or a full hop, for SH you have to buffer the F-Air, for a full hop, do it at the apex of your jump.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Pretty hype! Feels good to be an Ike main. I was leaning back hard on DK before this update, but now I feel like Ike and DK both have a similar arsenal of options in battle. Me likey.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I also main Shulk and am definitely considering Ike as a secondary! I didn't like his aerials before since you couldn't approach but I liked everything else about him. Now he just fits with my playstyle perfectly. I'm also gonna have to get around to playing Path of Radiance now..if i can ever find a copy

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You know the sad thing? We had footage of Ike from the Wii U version but never knew until the patch hit because the guy never used fair except for like once out of 5 videos.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
can someone translate this
Autocanceling is the period of time after an aerial where you can't jump or attack, but if you land you receive no landing lag from that aerial. This means that you can short hop with a rising fair and suffer no aerial landing lag, but you need to be fairly quick with it.

Top Bottom