• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibly new boosting discovery

Omniturtle

Smash Rookie
This may be already known, or even well known, but I have never read anything of it yet. I'm mainly posting it here for those who don't know.

As you have to know by now, boost-up-smash is one of Falco's greatest weapons. All the information I've ever found about boosting always says the same thing: dash, up, c-down, z. What I've found, however, is that this is NOT the best, nor the easiest way to boost.

From what I've found, using diagonals to your advantage makes boosting both more accurate and easier, not to mention faster.

My new input for boosting is: dash, forward-up-diagonal, c-down, z. This is much much easier, and slightly faster (split seconds make all the difference). But the biggest difference is its reliability. I'm no pro, but boosting this way, I can get a full slide boost almost every time, in whatever situation. Using the old input, I've found that often times, either I miss the boost altogether, or I get a smaller slide out of it.

I know that other players know this, but for those who don't, try it out, it feels SO much nicer than the old way. Its just a quick slide up from the dash position, and you don't have to return to neutral in between.

One more thing. As far as I know, this works for any boosting character except for Sheik. We already know Sheik is the oddball of boosting. She is the only one I've tried this with who seems to need a full up motion in order to boost.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I'm pretty sure some people already know about this like you said, I did, haha.

Thanks for the info, but I don't think there needs to be a topic for it. Falco General Discussion will work well for this.

Good stuff though. (:

Omniturtle

Smash Rookie
I've been on smashboards for quite a while, and have never heard of this. This is genuinely my own discovery, as in I figured it out on my own, just after other people knew about it. So there's plenty of reasons to have it posted. It makes a huge difference, and it should be more accessible information.

As for putting it here, I respect Falco players more than any other, so it's only right that I share this with you guys first. (Especially since Falco's boost is one of the most usable as a kill move.)

Denzi

Smash Master
Whenever it's asked on the Q&A thread, I always say Dash -> C-Down -> Up+Z. That's how I do it, and it's definitely consistent.

Denzi

Smash Master
Tap Jump Off I assume?
Well that's why I say it the way I do, because it works regardless. If you tried it his way with TJ on the only way it'd work is if you somehow jump cancel dash attacked (which is impossible).

So yes, his method implies Tap Jump off.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I've been on smashboards for quite a while, and have never heard of this. This is genuinely my own discovery, as in I figured it out on my own, just after other people knew about it. So there's plenty of reasons to have it posted. It makes a huge difference, and it should be more accessible information.

As for putting it here, I respect Falco players more than any other, so it's only right that I share this with you guys first. (Especially since Falco's boost is one of the most usable as a kill move.)
You probaly haven't heard about it because its not that big of a deal. You can say its your own, I found it out on my own as well, doesn't matter though cause people use what they find easier. If its setting L/R to Attack, or switching up other buttons, they do what's more comfortable for them. Sure, there's plenty of reasons to have it posted, but it needs to be posted for a good reason to actually be thread worthy. People can still get to it from Falco General Discussion, or Brawl Tactical as well.

Thanks for sharing it like I said, glad you took time out to type it, but the other members have their own ways of doing it, be it extending for the whole DACUS with using Shoulder buttons as an Attack, or just the regular way, without any diagonal input needed. Practice makes perfect anyways, they get used to their own way, and they perfect it. That's it.

:)

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
I, for one, have never seen this posted. Gonna try it out tonight to see if it helps get rid of those random occurrence of the short DACUS. Thanks for posting =)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My question is, why do you use Z for the Boost Smash? (This is considering you've set Z to grab).

You should set something like R to attack and then you can slide further.

Top Bottom