• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibly-critical design flaw in Faore's Wind

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
http://gfycat.com/ZestyDapperGalapagospenguin

Watch the box around Zelda closely. That teleport was intended to go down, directly down, do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect-200-dollars-down. What happens? She goes down... then left.. then off the stage. What's worse is that this can happen diagonally too. Essentially, the moment Zelda hits the stage midway through FW, the game negates either the vertical or horizontal component of the teleport's velocity, and she keeps moving.

So if you teleport down-right onto a horizontal surface, she'll keep moving right, down-left keeps her moving left. Another thing to keep in mind is that this works against vertical surfaces too; if you're on the right side of say, Omega Wily Castle, teleporting left will make you hit the wall, and boost you upwards into the ledge... but you could very well aim for that ledge if you really wanted.

Essentially, you lose a lot of precision with FW when moving into solid objects. Until this gets patched (God I hope it does), keep this in mind whenever you find yourself with the urge to teleport downwards to avoid a juggle or something similar.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
http://gfycat.com/ZestyDapperGalapagospenguin

Watch the box around Zelda closely. That teleport was intended to go down, directly down, do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect-200-dollars-down. What happens? She goes down... then left.. then off the stage. What's worse is that this can happen diagonally too. Essentially, the moment Zelda hits the stage midway through FW, the game negates either the vertical or horizontal component of the teleport's velocity, and she keeps moving.

So if you teleport down-right onto a horizontal surface, she'll keep moving right, down-left keeps her moving left. Another thing to keep in mind is that this works against vertical surfaces too; if you're on the right side of say, Omega Wily Castle, teleporting left will make you hit the wall, and boost you upwards into the ledge... but you could very well aim for that ledge if you really wanted.

Essentially, you lose a lot of precision with FW when moving into solid objects. Until this gets patched (God I hope it does), keep this in mind whenever you find yourself with the urge to teleport downwards to avoid a juggle or something similar.
Yeah, this is common knowledge. We'll just have to work around it. It's not very hard to.

Also, if this didn't happen like this, she couldn't "ride up" the sides of weird shaped stages like Half the omega stages, which would be an annoying re-change after finally getting this ability.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Yeah. I believe it's the second custom FW that shows zelda teleporting as a ball of light? You can use that to visually see where she's going when teleporting. Good for practice, in case your interested :)

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
"Common knowledge", eh? What other "common knowledge" is there that isn't in the research thread? <_<

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
It is common knowledge, I think.
I've seen it mentioned on reddit a few times.

I think it's this or the glitch in Brawl/PM where you can't go straight up the side of a wall with FW. I prefer this, really.

Last edited:

EOE

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this is a problem. I can't think of a situation when teleporting straight down would be a good idea, unless you're recovering to the ledge.

I actually like this change they made to Farore's Wind because is discourages new Zelda players from overusing Up-B offensively, which is bad.

The only change I don't like about Farore's Wind is that it's more difficult to Ledge Warp while aerial now because you have to take the momentum into account.
The huge hitboxes on either side, the knockback on the sweet-spot, the amazing speed increase, the distance it travels and the ability to travel up walls and ledges largely make up for this!

Last edited:

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
This has happened a lot to me, especially when teleporting down to the ground after killing someone in the air. I've learned to not make risky moves using FW due to this, though I feel like having better control over the game (Wii U version) May make this easier to deal with.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is common knowledge, I think.
I've seen it mentioned on reddit a few times.

I think it's this or the glitch in Brawl/PM where you can't go straight up the side of a wall with FW. I prefer this, really.
There's a workaround for that in PM where you just let the stick go to neutral and you don't get stuck in the wall. It probably works in Brawl, too. I find this glitch in Smash 4 more annoying.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Already killed myself a few times like this. On a map like Battlefield, sometimes I want to recover straight down onto the stage instead of hanging on the ledge or porting to a platform, but if you don't have the right space, you just fly off the stage. They did this to help her recover from under the stage (presumably) but it doesn't make the other situation any less annoying.

Wavebird

Smash Rookie
Question didn't wanna make a new thread do you guys think raw Farore's wind is a gimmick or is it viably one of her best moves
I know it has some startup and ending lag but I find it pretty safe when spaced correctly it also has a bit of range so you can dodge and punish some moves
I've only used zelda in smash4 so I don't really know how it stacks to the older versions

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Question didn't wanna make a new thread do you guys think raw Farore's wind is a gimmick or is it viably one of her best moves
I know it has some startup and ending lag but I find it pretty safe when spaced correctly it also has a bit of range so you can dodge and punish some moves
I've only used zelda in smash4 so I don't really know how it stacks to the older versions
Oh, FW's certainly one of Zelda's greatest moves, but it's much more a trump card move than it is a move you can readily dish out, depending on your opponent.

Against players who, for whatever reason, don't usually shield in time, don't be afraid to use it as much as you can. Apart from having great knockback, it works as a nice mind-game. Against skilled players, use it as either punishment or, if you're precise, a KO combo (from ~75%).

Oh, and it works great on projectile campers as well, since it can punish the ending lags of projectile attacks fantastically. FW has done me wonders against idiot Dunk Hunts.

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I need to do more testing but I believe there is a windbox that I gimped a ness with...

BlackSheep

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChibiBlackSheep
3DS FC
4081-5611-8604
I don't think this is a problem. I can't think of a situation when teleporting straight down would be a good idea, unless you're recovering to the ledge.
Sometimes when a person is trying to juggle, teleporting straight at them isn't a terrible idea.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Sometimes when a person is trying to juggle, teleporting straight at them isn't a terrible idea.
You have to be careful though; there's a tiny window of opportunity for them to hit you with a well-timed attack before you fully reappear.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
PM did Farore's movement right. Sm4sh did it wrong...

I do like that our momentum carries with the move though.

Played against some real people and found Farore's to be mediocre at best offensively. After you hit with it once or twice any good player will know how to not get hit by it again, and it has far too much end lag to use willy nilly. With vectoring and smash DI people will be able to get out of 99% of set ups to Farore's. The best bet with that move seems to be a hard read or punishing over-aggressive campers.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
PM did Farore's movement right. Sm4sh did it wrong...

I do like that our momentum carries with the move though.

Played against some real people and found Farore's to be mediocre at best offensively. After you hit with it once or twice any good player will know how to not get hit by it again, and it has far too much end lag to use willy nilly. With vectoring and smash DI people will be able to get out of 99% of set ups to Farore's. The best bet with that move seems to be a hard read or punishing over-aggressive campers.
I only end up using it offensively only a couple times, and only when they're high in percentage. If they start to catch on, I FW in place a couple times to psych them out. Mindgames FTW ):D

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
You have to be careful though; there's a tiny window of opportunity for them to hit you with a well-timed attack before you fully reappear.
Usually if I ever get knocked back, I use the momentum of my second jump to start the teleport in an off direction, then actually teleport towards them. I almost always land it.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Usually if I ever get knocked back, I use the momentum of my second jump to start the teleport in an off direction, then actually teleport towards them. I almost always land it.
Oh...oh that's rich XD definitely gonna have to try that

Top Bottom