• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible montreal smash 64 tournament

CaptainFalconMaster

Smash Cadet
I'm considering to start a tournament in Montreal at my appartment some time soon.

I just got a projector to substitute for a TV, and playing SSB64 on it is CRAZY!!!!! I get a freakin 110" image from 14 feet away !

I just wanted t know who would be down for a tournament and if it happens, when should i throw it.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Oh **** **** RSS feed not telling me where this was posted x.x

Get a livestream and I will watch this. Participate? Not likely. Not travelling 2 hours to get *****.

CaptainFalconMaster

Smash Cadet
the only problem is that at this size, the picture isn't that good. But whoever plays SSB64
doesn't play for graphics.
I'll try to post some pics.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
And playing on a projector is awesome. Way better than any tube tv.
the only problem is that at this size, the picture isn't that good. But whoever plays SSB64
doesn't play for graphics.
Playing on a projector causes horrible input delay. If you had any sort of brains as a tournament host, you'd never touch anything besides regular TV's

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
But brawl is for homosexuals.
^Agreed. As in Brawl is bad.

I don't like brawl. I'm keeping it oldschool.
^Me neither. I hate Brawl, lol.

Truth be told, you really, REALLY should not play a tournament game on a projector. The picture doesn't look that good in the first place, and you will get input delay. Regular, old, simple TVs work just fine, and you won't need to worry about delays. I'm not saying this because I'm biased either, I'm saying this because we've had tourneys over here where people complain about Melee being laggy due to it being set-up on a HD(?) TV. You can feel the lag too.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
What you could always do is have a regular non-laggy TV, and split the input so that the game appears on both the regular TV and the Projector. The people playing can play on a non-laggy tv, while the rest can watch on the extremely oversized projector. Make sure the projector volume is off though. If people really want to play on the projector, people can choose between both, since both are right there.

just a suggestion.

CaptainFalconMaster

Smash Cadet
Playing on a projector causes horrible input delay. If you had any sort of brains as a tournament host, you'd never touch anything besides regular TV's

If you had any sort of brains as a human being, you'd understand that analog connections on a cathodic tube TV work just the same as analog connections on a projector. I didn't even have lag when I played computer games on it running at 1440x900. How could it lag with standard def content ?

CaptainFalconMaster

Smash Cadet
Its much likely that not all projectors have input delay...
probably... I just wonder why so many people had bad experiences with projectors...maybe I'm not GOOD enough to notice.. but in any case, I never saw a difference with a tube tv..

And I played on tube TVs for 10 years.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Its much likely that not all projectors have input delay...
If you had any sort of brains as a human being, you'd understand that analog connections on a cathodic tube TV work just the same as analog connections on a projector. I didn't even have lag when I played computer games on it running at 1440x900. How could it lag with standard def content ?
I've been playing on the projector for a while now and had no input delay at all. I don't see what you guys are talking about.
>players that pretend to know what they're talking about

TANK64

Smash Lord
What you could always do is have a regular non-laggy TV, and split the input so that the game appears on both the regular TV and the Projector. The people playing can play on a non-laggy tv, while the rest can watch on the extremely oversized projector. Make sure the projector volume is off though. If people really want to play on the projector, people can choose between both, since both are right there.

just a suggestion.
This

Most tournaments do this , works great.

CaptainFalconMaster

Smash Cadet
I don't get it... What exactly is everyone complaining about ? what do you mean by delay ?
If you are basically saying that the response time between pressing a button and getting a movement on screen is longer, then my projector doesn't do it.
Has anyone ever tried playing SSB64 on a multimedia projector that takes the N64 plugs without video conversion ? Maybe you guys are talking about another kind of projector..

Skrlx

Smash Champion
it would be cool if you had your neighbors use their apartments for more TV station space xD

earthadept

Smash Lord
even if there's no delay... playing on such a huge 'screen' is totally different than what players normally do. i'm sure it'd feel really weird at first, and be a great source of JOHNS

earthadept

Smash Lord
People who call out others for being 'johns' are always the people that are annoying to play with. They also usually suck. Personal observations

CaptainFalconMaster

Smash Cadet
even if there's no delay... playing on such a huge 'screen' is totally different than what players normally do. i'm sure it'd feel really weird at first, and be a great source of JOHNS
at first I was leaning back as far as I could on the couch because I wasn't used to the huge screen. But now I got used to it.

What does being a john mean anyway ..??

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
in regards to captainfalconmaster, ive been playin smash 64 on hdtvs for a few years now and dont notice any lag. this topic came up a lil while ago and i was confused about the whole hdtvs being laggy.

on a side note, i sometimes play at my friends place and they have a rear projection screen tv and i do notice lag on that. i think maybe some tvs lag and some dont.

and mattnf, i freakin love ur sig hahaha barlw n00bs

Top Bottom