• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

kumie

Smash Rookie
Oh god. I'm gonna cry if this happens. 3 years of suffering for nothing.

Damn guys. Guess we should just welcome the SMT guy and start playing his games. We tried boys.
jk(maybe)
I absolutely love Smt. I would rather have Demifiend from smt nocturne but I'd be happy with the smt v protag too. I don't think it's gonna be either though.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I really don't see the SMTV protagonist happening. He doesn't have an official name even now, and I really doubt Sakurai had a sneak peek on the game back in 2018-2019.
I do think the last character might be Porky, but there are other choices; we still have a lot of lesser third-party characters compared to Kazuya/Sephiroth/Steve, such as Ryu Hayabusa or even a Rabbid for all we know.
Whoever ends up being the last character, is going to generate a lot of salt and a lot of people are not going to be happy. Even if is one of the most important and bigger gaming icons, there will be a lot of hate for that character.
This too. Whoever is added is the character that will end the biggest crossover of all times. And will be hated for that reason alone.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see the SMTV protagonist happening. He doesn't have an official name even now, and I really doubt Sakurai had a sneak peek on the game back in 2018-2019.
I do think the last character might be Porky, but there are other choices; we still have a lot of lesser third-party characters compared to Kazuya/Sephiroth/Steve, such as Ryu Hayabusa or even a Rabbid for all we know.

This too. Whoever is added is the character that will end the biggest crossover of all times. And will be hated for that reason alone.
Porky would generate the most salt because he is an ugly and obese repulsive 13 y/o instead of a beautiful anime person

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I know they've said that it's likely that we'll never get another game like Ultimate ever again-

But if by some miracle they pull an "everyone is here" again for Smash 6, I think the first matter of business should be getting all of the remaining villains on the roster.

Porky, Eggman, Gruntilda, Black Shadow, M.Bison, maybe King Hippo from Punch-Out, Hades or Medusa, etc.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Don't worry guys even if we are ignored in Smash Speculation and are left out in the game.
Being ignored in Smash speculation is a good sign when looking at most of the DLC fighters.
Kazuya, Sephiroth, Terry, Pyra/Mythra were not characters heavily suggested, hell I don't even think anyone here said Kazuya would be next.
Min Min only got more people talking about her when we knew for months it would be an ARMS character. Only exception that was talked for years were Steve and Banjo (and to an extent Hero due to Vergeben's leak).

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Being ignored in Smash speculation is a good sign when looking at most of the DLC fighters.
Kazuya, Sephiroth, Terry, Pyra/Mythra were not characters heavily suggested, hell I don't even think anyone here said Kazuya would be next.
Min Min only got more people talking about her when we knew for months it would be an ARMS character. Only exception that was talked for years were Steve and Banjo (and to an extent Hero due to Vergeben's leak).
However, Porky's a special case since his series is always getting ignored by Nintendo. It's at a point where "leakers" mention Earthbound, they'll say fake immediately.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
However, Porky's a special case since his series is always getting ignored by Nintendo. It's at a point where "leakers" mention Earthbound, they'll say fake immediately.
The series got new releases on the virtual consoles from 2015 to 2017 and ended up as the best selling games on it. It's not really getting ignored, the franchise is over, of course it won't get as much focus as Mario or Zelda, but it's not ALWAYS ignored.
I can guarantee we will see the Earthbound games on the Switch before the end of the console's life, the only question is when. Porky playable or not.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Ness and Lucas, Fourside (in the Bowser Jr. segment), Magicant (in the Luigi and Yoshi segment) in the "Challenger Approaching Intro Video"
Nothing in "A Piercing Screech"
Nothing in "Vampire Killer"
Fourside (where King K. Rool flies with Porky's helicopter), Ness (footstooling K. Rool alongside Pikachu and Inkling) in "The Rivals"
Onett (in the last gameplay segment, with the Animal Crossing textbox overlaid and Isabelle speaking) in "All in a Day's Work"
Fourside (Ken's first gameplay segment), New Pork City (Incineroar's first gameplay segment), Magicant (Incineroar kicking a Flying Man) in "Clash of Flames"
Nothing in "Piranha Plant Pipes Up!"
Nothing in "Take Your Heart"/Fourside (Joker's first gameplay segment), New Pork City (right after Ann says "awesome"), Onett (showing the Kirby hat and Morgana in taunts), Magicant (in the Arsene part, attacking Simon) in "The Masked Rebel"
Nothing in "Heroic Encounter"
Lucas (jumping over Banjo and Kazooie dashing, then tripping), Ness (launched by Breegull Bash, and in the group portrait thingy showing off his bat) in "Best Friends"
Onett (Terry kicking Roy and Fox, Terry stealing food from Wario), Lucas (when Terry's black alt is shown) in "The Legendary Wolf"
Nothing in "The Ashen Demon"
New Pork City (Min Min grabbing and then kicking Incineroar) in "Ramen time!"
Magicant (Steve mining Fox) Onett, Lucas (Steve builds a block tower, which Lucas bumps into) in "A New Seed"
Fourside (Sephiroth uses his Forward Air to stick into the Monotoli Building) in "The One-Winged Angel"
Fourside (showing off Pyra's Blazing End), New Pork City (Showing off Mythra's Photon Edge) in "One Day, Pyra Just Disappeared"
Fourside (Devil Kazuya attacking male Inkling and Zero Suit Samus) in "The Iron Fist of Darkness"

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Ness and Lucas, Fourside (in the Bowser Jr. segment), Magicant (in the Luigi and Yoshi segment) in the "Challenger Approaching Intro Video"
Nothing in "A Piercing Screech"
Nothing in "Vampire Killer"
Fourside (where King K. Rool flies with Porky's helicopter), Ness (footstooling K. Rool alongside Pikachu and Inkling) in "The Rivals"
Onett (in the last gameplay segment, with the Animal Crossing textbox overlaid and Isabelle speaking) in "All in a Day's Work"
Fourside (Ken's first gameplay segment), New Pork City (Incineroar's first gameplay segment), Magicant (Incineroar kicking a Flying Man) in "Clash of Flames"
Nothing in "Piranha Plant Pipes Up!"
Nothing in "Take Your Heart"/Fourside (Joker's first gameplay segment), New Pork City (right after Ann says "awesome"), Onett (showing the Kirby hat and Morgana in taunts), Magicant (in the Arsene part, attacking Simon) in "The Masked Rebel"
Nothing in "Heroic Encounter"
Lucas (jumping over Banjo and Kazooie dashing, then tripping), Ness (launched by Breegull Bash, and in the group portrait thingy showing off his bat) in "Best Friends"
Onett (Terry kicking Roy and Fox, Terry stealing food from Wario), Lucas (when Terry's black alt is shown) in "The Legendary Wolf"
Nothing in "The Ashen Demon"
New Pork City (Min Min grabbing and then kicking Incineroar) in "Ramen time!"
Magicant (Steve mining Fox) Onett, Lucas (Steve builds a block tower, which Lucas bumps into) in "A New Seed"
Fourside (Sephiroth uses his Forward Air to stick into the Monotoli Building) in "The One-Winged Angel"
Fourside (showing off Pyra's Blazing End), New Pork City (Showing off Mythra's Photon Edge) in "One Day, Pyra Just Disappeared"
Fourside (Devil Kazuya attacking male Inkling and Zero Suit Samus) in "The Iron Fist of Darkness"
Yea Earthbound stages and characters are used a lot in character trailers

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
How did you like the direct? I'm really intested in Kazuya, can't wait to start playing as him.
Concerning the Mii costumes, well it certainly is interesting that we didn't get any new BAMCO costumes, though it comforts me in the idea that the final character is a Nintendo character (and, obviously, him being Porky Minch). Only question is when they would reveal the final character.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Wasn’t expecting Dante to be Mii’d but here we are.
Pretty cool direct, Kazuya looks fun and yeah here’s to hoping Porky makes it as the final fighter!
I assume the next reveal will be some time in October or November
I'm expecting more a September reveal. They managed to reveal the characters in a two/three months pattern up until now, and it would easily fall into the September direct we always get.
Since I doubt the last reveal will be anyone major, I do think it'll happen there, Porky or not.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting more a September reveal. They managed to reveal the characters in a two/three months pattern up until now, and it would easily fall into the September direct we always get.
Since I doubt the last reveal will be anyone major, I do think it'll happen there, Porky or not.
I have a feeling the wait is going to be longer than usual. Sakurai doesn't usually give us a heads up about a long wait like he did with today's presentation. I wouldn't be surprised if things end at the Game Awards.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I have a feeling the wait is going to be longer than usual. Sakurai doesn't usually give us a heads up about a long wait like he did with today's presentation. I wouldn't be surprised if things end at the Game Awards.
We will see, because if the wait is really at the Game Awards, that would have been the longest wait for the DLC, not even Min-Min and Byleth would have gotten such a long wait, and that possibly was because of the COVID.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The first tournament event after Kazuya's reveal is... drum rolls
"Born in the 2010s" which features characters who first appeared between 2010 and 2019.
While this is not a "hard" disconfirmation, it would be bizarre on their parts to make a tournament on this theme NOW if they intended to add a character from this era in a few months.
Sure, just after Kazuya and the Heihachi mii costume debacle, it's up to debate, but in this case they had more than a year of difference.
Yes, we had tournaments themed after the 80s, 90s and 2000s, however the next few fighters released after each event were not related to these.
I do think it helps narrowing down the next fighter.

kumie

Smash Rookie
The first tournament event after Kazuya's reveal is... drum rolls
"Born in the 2010s" which features characters who first appeared between 2010 and 2019.
While this is not a "hard" disconfirmation, it would be bizarre on their parts to make a tournament on this theme NOW if they intended to add a character from this era in a few months.
Sure, just after Kazuya and the Heihachi mii costume debacle, it's up to debate, but in this case they had more than a year of difference.
Yes, we had tournaments themed after the 80s, 90s and 2000s, however the next few fighters released after each event were not related to these.
I do think it helps narrowing down the next fighter.
You are so smart. I didn't even realize that.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
You are so smart. I didn't even realize that.
I don't know if it's being smart, but I do find it useful for speculation's sake.
Event tourneys are not as common as spirit events, but they do seem to have planned these for a while. This is shown by a tournament being skipped due to Steve's absence (although we still haven't seen it as far as I know), and the fire-themed tournament from early 2020 was also delayed by a full year to wait for Pyra and Mythra. I am certain the next character won't be from the 2010-2019 years.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it feels as if Porky should've been in FP1 because of the missing spirit. It's sad that all of the first party picks were all from recent games on the Switch. There are no niche Nintendo picks which I would much rather prefer. It'd be so much better if the 3 were Porky, Sylux, and Adeleine considering all 3 are missing from the game. Welp can there be at least one niche Nintendo pick?

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it feels as if Porky should've been in FP1 because of the missing spirit. It's sad that all of the first party picks were all from recent games on the Switch. There are no niche Nintendo picks which I would much rather prefer. It'd be so much better if the 3 were Porky, Sylux, and Adeleine considering all 3 are missing from the game. Welp can there be at least one niche Nintendo pick?
Idk, all of FP1 feel like brand new choices picked for after the base game roster concluded (minus Byleth).
While all of FP2 fit the base game theory so I feel like Porky fits a bit better with the second batch full of picks that make sense to be included at launch instead of some very outlandish third parties and fire emblem character #8

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Idk, all of FP1 feel like brand new choices picked for after the base game roster concluded (minus Byleth).
While all of FP2 fit the base game theory so I feel like Porky fits a bit better with the second batch full of picks that make sense to be included at launch instead of some very outlandish third parties and fire emblem character #8
Agree with this sentiment. For a fact, Rex and an Arms character would have been added to the base game if their games had been released earlier, but the Switch's timing didn't allow that, and instead of fixing this mistake during the first pass, they did so during the second one. Which is why I do hold the belief that spirits are still a huge blow, if not a straight wall to a character; the only two exceptions to this rule are characters from games that Sakurai outright stated they were considered for the base roster. It's also shown by the Xenoblade 2 and Arms spirits being among the last spirits added in the game according to datamining, probably due to Sakurai not being certain having the occasion to make a second pass. These two obvious additions -after the fact, but retrospectively, they are- are out of the way, and with the latest tournament, it's sure we won't get anyone new to promote a Switch game. This is a huge help, that eliminates a ton of concurrence. Even characters introduced in Skyward Sword and onwards for the Zelda franchise are out, Splatoon as a whole too, Bayonetta, Xenoblade...

If my theory that we won't get another spirit upgrade is correct, what is left for Nintendo characters are, as Merengue said, Porky, but also Sylux and Adeleine. However in both of their cases their absence is definitely not on the same level as Porky. Adeleine was never in Smash at all, Sylux had a trophy and a sticker in Brawl. Porky still is the weirdest absence, that's not up to debate at this point every single assist trophies and bosses made an appearance as a spirit. The closest are Bonsly, Gulpin and Weavile who were Pokéballs in Brawl and don't appear as spirits. However, they also didn't appear in Smash for Wii U nor 3DS, contrary to Porky and the King P statue.

Of course, the issue is that the final character might be from another company, which is not to be excluded. But I do hope the last slot is our "Piranha Plant" of the second wave of DLC fighters and believe Porky fits this criteria.

Also, did you notice that all the unique new Nintendo characters added in Ultimate who were not from the 2010s are all villains? Ridley, King K. Rool and Piranha Plant.
Food for thought. :210:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Even characters introduced in Skyward Sword and onwards for the Zelda franchise are out, Splatoon as a whole too, Bayonetta, Xenoblade...
Dang it. Octoling is my runner-up if it isn’t Porky…

Which still could happen because, while this all sounds nice, Sakurai will do what he wants. But still, does seem like most of my other most wanteds take a hit with that logic.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Dang it. Octoling is my runner-up if it isn’t Porky…

Which still could happen because, while this all sounds nice, Sakurai will do what he wants. But still, does seem like most of my other most wanteds take a hit with that logic.
Sure, it's all theorizing in the end, and Sakurai as well as Nintendo do what they want. We saw that with Heihachi that appeared as a costume before despite Kazuya appearing later in the pass.
However, they delayed the fire-themed tournament on purpose to include Pyra in it. They delayed it by a full year, there's evidence in the tournaments' ID. They also did the same with a tournament for Steve that was delayed.
Sure, anything can happen. It could also be an Assist-Trophy promotion, or Nero despite the Mii costume of Dante we just got, or also a character from a game that received a spirit event. But there are some things that will, in fact, have been proven to be true until the very end, maybe we will get another "fanmade rule" broken. But, logically, I don't see the reason for them to create the tournament now instead of waiting for a character that would be fit to be included in it only a few months later. Especially when, for some weird reason, Kazuya isn't featured in this one. I think it's even the first time there's a tournament after a character's reveal where said character doesn't appear in it at all (except with Joker but there was no tournament event during his release).

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Agree with this sentiment. For a fact, Rex and an Arms character would have been added to the base game if their games had been released earlier, but the Switch's timing didn't allow that, and instead of fixing this mistake during the first pass, they did so during the second one. Which is why I do hold the belief that spirits are still a huge blow, if not a straight wall to a character; the only two exceptions to this rule are characters from games that Sakurai outright stated they were considered for the base roster. It's also shown by the Xenoblade 2 and Arms spirits being among the last spirits added in the game according to datamining, probably due to Sakurai not being certain having the occasion to make a second pass. These two obvious additions -after the fact, but retrospectively, they are- are out of the way, and with the latest tournament, it's sure we won't get anyone new to promote a Switch game. This is a huge help, that eliminates a ton of concurrence. Even characters introduced in Skyward Sword and onwards for the Zelda franchise are out, Splatoon as a whole too, Bayonetta, Xenoblade...

If my theory that we won't get another spirit upgrade is correct, what is left for Nintendo characters are, as Merengue said, Porky, but also Sylux and Adeleine. However in both of their cases their absence is definitely not on the same level as Porky. Adeleine was never in Smash at all, Sylux had a trophy and a sticker in Brawl. Porky still is the weirdest absence, that's not up to debate at this point every single assist trophies and bosses made an appearance as a spirit. The closest are Bonsly, Gulpin and Weavile who were Pokéballs in Brawl and don't appear as spirits. However, they also didn't appear in Smash for Wii U nor 3DS, contrary to Porky and the King P statue.

Of course, the issue is that the final character might be from another company, which is not to be excluded. But I do hope the last slot is our "Piranha Plant" of the second wave of DLC fighters and believe Porky fits this criteria.

Also, did you notice that all the unique new Nintendo characters added in Ultimate who were not from the 2010s are all villains? Ridley, King K. Rool and Piranha Plant.
Food for thought. :210:
If they wanted to do another "plant" then why would they save it for last instead of putting him first.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If they wanted to do another "plant" then why would they save it for last instead of putting him first.
Simply because it would be the best moment to add the new Plant. Piranha Plant is a DLC fighter, sure, but at the same time is an exception as it is not part of any pass, and arguably was the finishing touch of the Smash roster. Never planned to be in the base roster, but always planned to end the base game and start the DLC part (as shown with it being the only DLC choice that has a Palutena Guidance). Genuine leakers also told us it was already playable back in September, so it does reinforce this idea they had it planned for a long time already.

As to why put Porky last? Because it's the sport that's, usually, reserved for less "hype worthy" characters for the general population. Actually, it's not usually, it's always the case.
Melee ended with Roy and Game & Watch. I'm not hating on the characters, but one's game was delayed thus making him representing a non-existant game, and G&W is an extremely surprising choice that I don't think anyone really wanted.
Brawl ended with ROB, Toon Link and Wolf. While not "bad" characters, Toon Link and Wolf are two of the semi-clones, and were almost not added to Brawl if Sakurai didn't get an extra delay to include Sonic (Jigglypuff would also have been cut, by the way). Meaning that, really, ROB was planned to be the final hidden character at some point.
Smash 4 ended with Duck Hunt. I'm probably one of the only ten human beings on this planet that wanted the dog, but frankly, I didn't see much support for Donald and Goofy.
Smash 4's DLC ended with Bayonetta and Corrin. Frankly not the worst outcome, but it's still another Fire Emblem character that's already argued to have too much representation, as well as a third-party character who is clearly not on the same scale as Cloud and Ryu.
Ultimate ended with Incineroar, Ken and arguably Piranha Plant who were all revealed the same day. Again, I don't hate the characters but if they intended on making a grand finale, K. Rool would have definitely worked better, but Sakurai for X reason decided on finishing with another Pokemon and the plant.
FP1 ended with Byleth, same issue than Corrin. Despite the first pass having notable third-party fighters the whole time.

I'm sure the big names for the second pass were Sephiroth and Steve. I don't expect an exceptional finale. Maybe it won't be Porky, sure. But I don't see a Crash Bandicoot or Doomguy either. However I stand by my point that Porky's best shot has, and always has been, the final slot, only if it's revealed in September.
If they wait until TGA, welp kiss good bye to him lol

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Yup I agree with this.
It makes more sense for Porky to be the last pick as Nintendo’s business model for the fighter passes seems to be front load the pass with the more “surprising” characters to excite the players into buying the pass early and then sneak in the lesser character at the end once most of the general public have already spent the cash.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Yup I agree with this.
It makes more sense for Porky to be the last pick as Nintendo’s business model for the fighter passes seems to be front load the pass with the more “surprising” characters to excite the players into buying the pass early and then sneak in the lesser character at the end once most of the general public have already spent the cash.
Yea but it feels so weird. The final character of the biggest crossover in history, a repulsive obese asshole 13 year old kid. He'd cause more salt than a Fire Emblem character

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Yea but it feels so weird. The final character of the biggest crossover in history, a repulsive obese asshole 13 year old kid. He'd cause more salt than a Fire Emblem character
Like I said in my previous post, they initially intended to make ROB the final character after Snake and Sonic in Brawl, Duck Hunt after Megaman and Pacman in Smash Bros for Wii U, and Piranha Plant (to an extent) in Ultimate. I don't know why, but they never decide to make the final reveals the big shots.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Like I said in my previous post, they initially intended to make ROB the final character after Snake and Sonic in Brawl, Duck Hunt after Megaman and Pacman in Smash Bros for Wii U, and Piranha Plant (to an extent) in Ultimate. I don't know why, but they never decide to make the final reveals the big shots.
It would be bad that people wouldn't buy the pass in the earlier because the big hitters are last and are yet to be revealed.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
My doubts are setting in. People are saying that CP11 was a most likely a very last minute addition. I'm not sure if Porky fits the bill. We have no knowledge that Porky was supposed to be part of the game. No acknowledgement from Sakurai. Plus unlike Pyra and Min Min, if Porky was "scrapped", they would most likely end up forgetting him because he won't really promote anything. Or maybe Earthbound just has too much content in the game with 2 fighters and 4 stages.

Top Bottom