• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Zeox

Smash Champion
Dang. You really gave up hope huh?
I gave up hope when the 30th anniversary and the year of the pig were over, it's okay, for me is better this way, if you don't have hopes you can't get disappointed, just surprised and hyped if it happens.
I'm not going to tell you to have my mindset because I believe that those who still have hopes live the fight with more passion and love, whatever happens, we are all together in this until the end, we get out of the Absolutely Safe Capsule or we are trapped inside for all eternity, but we will share the same fate together.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Yeah, I think the reality with Porky is that he was definitely intended to be put in the game during its development, as evidenced by the whole missing Spirit situation. But somewhere along the way they just didn’t have enough time to create a good moveset and everything, and in the end Porky was likely just scrapped, Spirit missing and all. Now you could say he could’ve had released as a DLC intended for the first roster like Plant but making multiple characters takes time so I guess Plant was the preferred DLC to make. As for the Fignters Pass, let’s be real. When Nintendo is calling the shots for characters instead of Sakurai, we’re never gonna get Porky.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I really don't see how it affects Porky's chances. It certainly didn't help him, but didn't hurt him either.
My thought has always been that the last slot is our bonus character, and that Porky could easily fit it.
If he doesn't happen (and that can happen), sure, it's over but there's not any reason to believe he is out now. Porky would never have been an E3 reveal.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see how it affects Porky's chances. It certainly didn't help him, but didn't hurt him either.
My thought has always been that the last slot is our bonus character, and that Porky could easily fit it.
If he doesn't happen (and that can happen), sure, it's over but there's not any reason to believe he is out now. Porky would never have been an E3 reveal.
My man has survived every character reveal and has dodged every bullet shot at him. He just needs to get hit by the right bullet. Also, considering Kazuya is a villain, it sort of makes him less likely they'll add another villain especially a "literal who" villain.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
My man has survived every character reveal and has dodged every bullet shot at him. He just needs to get hit by the right bullet. Also, considering Kazuya is a villain, it sort of makes him less likely they'll add another villain especially a "literal who" villain.
We got plenty of villains this pass, though. Sephiroth, Kazuya and two of Steve's alts are villains. If anything a villain is still possible since this pass has added a bunch when the first pass had none.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
We got plenty of villains this pass, though. Sephiroth, Kazuya and two of Steve's alts are villains. If anything a villain is still possible since this pass has added a bunch when the first pass had none.
bruh if they forgot the porky spirit im gonna cry

Last edited:

kumie

Smash Rookie
Well if we don't get Porky, then someone is bound to ask Sakurai what was happening with no spirit or representation. If he refuses to answer then, it will be one the biggest mysteries in smash history.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
If anything, Kazuya has given me more hope for Porky as pass 2 all fits into the “this should have been in the base game” category and Porky definitely has enough evidence for that.
And like another guy said in the previous page, I think tekken was the last “heavy hitter” in the pass.
While his chances aren’t likely I wouldn’t say he’s entirely impossible.
However I do believe that ultimate is his last chance, if porky isn’t FP11 then he’s never getting in, ever

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
There's also another issue for Porky, and it is when they will decide to reveal the final character.
He already is in a tight spot where his only chance now is, literally, finishing the DLC for Ultimate, but if the final character is not revealed during the now expected September direct, that probably means they will keep the character for the VGA. And as we've seen, Porky wouldn't be a character worthy of such an event.
There won't be a reveal in July and August, that's for sure, but September will be when everything plays out. If there's a reveal, then we will obviously have the question settled. But if there's no Smash character shown there, that means they will probably wait the end of the year for the big VGA event and that'll definitely finish Porky's journey.

However I do believe that ultimate is his last chance, if porky isn’t FP11 then he’s never getting in, ever
There's clearly this, which also applies to a lot of characters. Geno, Isaac, Master Chief, Skull Kid, Pokémon from the current gen... Won't ever get a chance like this after Ultimate. And no matter who it is that gets the last slot, he will be hated for a long time.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I am gonna go out on a limb, and say the last character for smash is gonna be the protagonist for Shin Megami Tensei V. My reasoning as to why this is: 1. Before this E3, every Nintendo Direct during E3 has had two or more character reveals. So its weird we didn't get the last one at E3, because its deadline to release is the end of this year anyways. All they would need to do is show or reveal the character, and give the release date as Fall 2021. 2. There may be a big reason as to why though. SMTV is a game that hasn't came out yet, so the playable character could have spoilers to the game itself. Same for his stage. 3. I also feel that they would need sufficient time between the game's release, and the character's reveal, so that enough people had played the game, that the spoilers are too big. 4. There's also something I noticed: DLC Pack 1: 1. Piranha Plant (First Party Nintendo) 2. Joker (Third Party JPRG) 3. Hero (Third Party JRPG) 4. Banjo Kazooie (Western Pick) 5. Terry (Fighting Game) 6. Byleth (First Party Nintendo JRPG) DLC Pack 2: 1. Min Min (First Party Nintendo) 2. Steve (Western Pick) 3. Sephiroth (Third Party JRPG) 4. Pyra/Mythra (First Party JRPG) 5. Kazuya (Fighting Game) 6. _ ( Third Party JRPG) I know this could be complete coincidence or bull****, but it feels suspicious to me. 5. If it was just going to be any Shin Megami Tensei character to represent the series, they could have just used Demifiend, but they didn't. 6. Now for my final prediction. Shin Megami Tensei V releases on November 12, 2021. The Video Game Awards Show airs this year on December 10, 2021. I believe that Sakurai is gonna have the protagonist revealed at the video games awards show, give a date for the presentation on them, and then on that day, release them on the same day.

**** **** **** Porky is too niche to be at the VGAs we're ****ed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I am gonna go out on a limb, and say the last character for smash is gonna be the protagonist for Shin Megami Tensei V. My reasoning as to why this is: 1. Before this E3, every Nintendo Direct during E3 has had two or more character reveals. So its weird we didn't get the last one at E3, because its deadline to release is the end of this year anyways. All they would need to do is show or reveal the character, and give the release date as Fall 2021. 2. There may be a big reason as to why though. SMTV is a game that hasn't came out yet, so the playable character could have spoilers to the game itself. Same for his stage. 3. I also feel that they would need sufficient time between the game's release, and the character's reveal, so that enough people had played the game, that the spoilers are too big. 4. There's also something I noticed: DLC Pack 1: 1. Piranha Plant (First Party Nintendo) 2. Joker (Third Party JPRG) 3. Hero (Third Party JRPG) 4. Banjo Kazooie (Western Pick) 5. Terry (Fighting Game) 6. Byleth (First Party Nintendo JRPG) DLC Pack 2: 1. Min Min (First Party Nintendo) 2. Steve (Western Pick) 3. Sephiroth (Third Party JRPG) 4. Pyra/Mythra (First Party JRPG) 5. Kazuya (Fighting Game) 6. _ ( Third Party JRPG) I know this could be complete coincidence or bull****, but it feels suspicious to me. 5. If it was just going to be any Shin Megami Tensei character to represent the series, they could have just used Demifiend, but they didn't. 6. Now for my final prediction. Shin Megami Tensei V releases on November 12, 2021. The Video Game Awards Show airs this year on December 10, 2021. I believe that Sakurai is gonna have the protagonist revealed at the video games awards show, give a date for the presentation on them, and then on that day, release them on the same day.

** ** Porky is too niche to be at the VGAs we're ****ed.
It could also mean that they didn't want to reveal the last two DLC characters at once (Hero and Banjo were in the middle of a pass, and as far as we know, there's no FP3 coming, so whoever's next is the last character), and the last character could be revealed in a September Direct - Smash reveals seem to be spread out roughly three months apart.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
It could also mean that they didn't want to reveal the last two DLC characters at once (Hero and Banjo were in the middle of a pass, and as far as we know, there's no FP3 coming, so whoever's next is the last character), and the last character could be revealed in a September Direct - Smash reveals seem to be spread out roughly three months apart.
Man I also have doubts that Porky is not worthy enough to be the final character in the entire game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Man I also have doubts that Porky is not worthy enough to be the final character in the entire game.
If we’re talking “not worthy enough”, then we wouldn’t have characters like Ice Climbers. Sakurai doesn’t make “worthiness” a huge criteria point. He even stated something similar in Terry’s presentation. It’s more about how fun a character is/would be rather than if they’re recognizable/“worthy”.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
If we’re talking “not worthy enough”, then we wouldn’t have characters like Ice Climbers. Sakurai doesn’t make “worthiness” a huge criteria point. He even stated something similar in Terry’s presentation. It’s more about how fun a character is/would be rather than if they’re recognizable/“worthy”.
Even so, the technical challenges for Porky would be quite daunting. He is a mech character

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Even so, the technical challenges for Porky would be quite daunting. He is a mech character
Again, this pass managed to ovecome many technical challenges.
Pyra and Mythra were added despite the issue of being a double character (which prevented Rex from also being playable).
Kazuya was added despite Sakurai stating a Tekken character being added would also be a challenge.
Steve required work to be done for all stages in the game.
Pretty sure a mech isn't an issue. They already animated Porky in Brawl too, so the model is there.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Again, this pass managed to ovecome many technical challenges.
Pyra and Mythra were added despite the issue of being a double character (which prevented Rex from also being playable).
Kazuya was added despite Sakurai stating a Tekken character being added would also be a challenge.
Steve required work to be done for all stages in the game.
Pretty sure a mech isn't an issue. They already animated Porky in Brawl too, so the model is there.
Obviously they would scale that model down, but even then, they technically don’t need to use the mech. Ya, ya, it goes against his character, yadda yadda. But if they really didn’t feel like dealing with any “technical issues” then they could easily have him move around outside of the mech and use it for his Final Smash. There’s a moveset out there for him where he only uses his mech for an entrance animation, one attack, and his FS. So it is doable.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Obviously they would scale that model down, but even then, they technically don’t need to use the mech. Ya, ya, it goes against his character, yadda yadda. But if they really didn’t feel like dealing with any “technical issues” then they could easily have him move around outside of the mech and use it for his Final Smash. There’s a moveset out there for him where he only uses his mech for an entrance animation, one attack, and his FS. So it is doable.

Sure, it is doable and I enjoy ideas, but Sakurai always represented him inside his Mother 3 mech, which isn't canonically as big as it is in Smash.
If they include Porky, they will go with a mech, that's guaranteed.

Plus Porky is only acting cocky in the games during the fights because he is inside of his mechs. I want smug Porky, not coward Porky.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Sure, it is doable and I enjoy ideas, but Sakurai always represented him inside his Mother 3 mech, which isn't canonically as big as it is in Smash.
If they include Porky, they will go with a mech, that's guaranteed.

Plus Porky is only acting cocky in the games during the fights because he is inside of his mechs. I want smug Porky, not coward Porky.
If the color theory(purple hue) is correct then his mech will most likely be a hybrid of his EB and M3 mech

1623889148185.png

Guys every other villain is in the game except for Eggman.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Remember Byleth was once intended to be the final character revealed for smash ultimate, a character that’s definitely not “worthy” in most people’s eyes.

The final character is anyone’s game now, it’s really really hard to call.
So far every character in pass 2 has caught me off guard but I wanna ride this wave for the last four/five months left of speculation as this is Porky’s best chance.
But whether we get him or not, it’s been an absolute blast hanging out here with you Porkyfriends for the past three years
82308379-A39E-403D-8974-ED58CC225846.jpeg

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Remember Byleth was once intended to be the final character revealed for smash ultimate, a character that’s definitely not “worthy” in most people’s eyes.

The final character is anyone’s game now, it’s really really hard to call.
So far every character in pass 2 has caught me off guard but I wanna ride this wave for the last four/five months left of speculation as this is Porky’s best chance.
But whether we get him or not, it’s been an absolute blast hanging out here with you Porkyfriends for the past three years
View attachment 319665
It was a fun character to speculate about, that's for sure. Even though nothing much changed since the game's release for his case.
I hope our patience will be rewarded at the end.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
It was a fun character to speculate about, that's for sure. Even though nothing much changed since the game's release for his case.
I hope our patience will be rewarded at the end.
also our humbleness on 4chan

This, like Porky's cool but he was definitely not demanded as much as K. Rool and Ridely were. In fact, he kinda rose to prominence in Smash speculation because his spirit and boss battle was missing. Even then, it's only much more vocal recently and mainly on here.
This is probably the biggest hit against Porky, was that the timing of FP2 seems to be taking care of lose ends, I think we are going to see Chorus Kids for that reason.

Last edited:

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I think the reality with Porky is that he was definitely intended to be put in the game during its development, as evidenced by the whole missing Spirit situation. But somewhere along the way they just didn’t have enough time to create a good moveset and everything, and in the end Porky was likely just scrapped, Spirit missing and all. Now you could say he could’ve had released as a DLC intended for the first roster like Plant but making multiple characters takes time so I guess Plant was the preferred DLC to make. As for the Fignters Pass, let’s be real. When Nintendo is calling the shots for characters instead of Sakurai, we’re never gonna get Porky.
I don't think Sakurai is being honest with the DLC. Who would've thought the Nintendo executives chose Terry, Joker, and Kazuya.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sakurai is being honest with the DLC. Who would've thought the Nintendo executives chose Terry, Joker, and Kazuya.
I feel like Joker was a failed attempt to get Persona 5 on the switch and Kazuya was a safe “middle to end of the pass” pick.
But Terry, yeah he was 100% a Sakurai pick

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
I had a debate with the Mushroom guy with the Hilda profile picture on whether Porky is on the same tier as Dixie Kong. To him, Porky is on a lower tier than Dixie Kong(That I'll agree with now). I mentioned the Earthbound games being best sellers on the Virtual Console while he countered my argument by saying that Donkey Kong Country tropical freeze sold millions of copies. What are your guys opinion on this?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I had a debate with the Mushroom guy with the Hilda profile picture on whether Porky is on the same tier as Dixie Kong. To him, Porky is on a lower tier than Dixie Kong(That I'll agree with now). I mentioned the Earthbound games being best sellers on the Virtual Console while he countered my argument by saying that Donkey Kong Country tropical freeze sold millions of copies. What are your guys opinion on this?
Opinion on what? Yes, Tropical Freeze sold millions, and Earthbound was among the most sold games for the virtual console. I don't see where the issue is. Dixie Kong is certainly more known and popular than Porky, but so are plenty of other characters.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Opinion on what? Yes, Tropical Freeze sold millions, and Earthbound was among the most sold games for the virtual console. I don't see where the issue is. Dixie Kong is certainly more known and popular than Porky, but so are plenty of other characters.
Sorry, I meant that Dixie Kong has a higher chance than Porky which is what I mean by levels of likeliness.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I think it’s really difficult to tell who is more likely at this stage as so many characters from very different styles and games could be the final choice.
While Dixie was technically considered at one point, that was a very long time ago and Porky...
Well, we all know he’s nowhere to be seen haha.
The general consensus is that shin megami Sam, or whatever the protag’s name will be is the most likely contender but on the other hand, Dante and Crash were supposed to be “guaranteed” until they didn’t get in

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
I think it’s really difficult to tell who is more likely at this stage as so many characters from very different styles and games could be the final choice.
While Dixie was technically considered at one point, that was a very long time ago and Porky...
The general consensus is that shin megami Sam, or whatever the protag’s name will be is the most likely contender but on the other hand, Dante and Crash were supposed to be “guaranteed” until they didn’t get in
It's weird that Sakurai never gave a response to Porky's absence even though the game is nearing it's end. It's either no one ever asked him about it, or he is dodging questions relating to Porky for some reason?

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Porky isn't my most wanted character, but I'm still rooting for him. He's probably in my top 5.

I think the biggest thing working against him right now is that he isn't really a great "final" character for Ultimate.
Smash has historically had anti-climactic final characters, but Ultimate feels a little different.

The lack of any Porky spirit is still suspicious to me. If anything they could have had a Porky spirit that evolved into the Safe Capsule, but we didn't even get that. I still think that's strange.

Anyway, I don't think he's out of the running yet. I think he's one of the more likely Nintendo characters. It just depends on if they want to end with a massive bang or not.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Porky isn't my most wanted character, but I'm still rooting for him. He's probably in my top 5.

I think the biggest thing working against him right now is that he isn't really a great "final" character for Ultimate.
Smash has historically had anti-climactic final characters, but Ultimate feels a little different.

The lack of any Porky spirit is still suspicious to me. If anything they could have had a Porky spirit that evolved into the Safe Capsule, but we didn't even get that. I still think that's strange.

Anyway, I don't think he's out of the running yet. I think he's one of the more likely Nintendo characters. It just depends on if they want to end with a massive bang or not.
As long as he's fun to play and brings something new to table, he has enough content content to warrant DLC status. He remains unaffected by every character reveal to this day. Anniversaries mostly don't line up with character reveals. If he brings an Earthbound collection with him, he is more than worthy to be the final character. If Sakurai still doesn't explain his absence after the last character is revealed, then it'll be one of the biggest mysteries in Smash history.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
As long as he's fun to play and brings something new to table, he has enough content content to warrant DLC status. He remains unaffected by every character reveal to this day. Anniversaries mostly don't line up with character reveals. If he brings an Earthbound collection with him, he is more than worthy to be the final character. If Sakurai still doesn't explain his absence after the last character is revealed, then it'll be one of the biggest mysteries in Smash history.
Yeah I absolutely agree about your last point.
Unless he's added as a fighter or a boss (maybe if they add another mode), Porky's absence will be the weirdest thing about the game. He even has a stage named after him.
He's one of the biggest characters in the Mother series and to not even have a spirit is so bizarre.

I don't really buy into the theory that its a joke that he's still safe inside the capsule despite getting turned into a spirit.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Crash, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa were some of the guaranteed characters, but with only one spot left, they probably won't happen.
The Shin Megami character also falls under the "new game = definitely going to be in Smash" pattern which never worked except for Corrin, which was already released in Japan, and Byleth, which was already released six months prior to his inclusion. Plus both are directly owned by Nintendo; which is not the case of SMT. Really a weird consensus, but hey, a Pokemon was also inevitable so screw the consensus at this point lol

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Yeah I absolutely agree about your last point.
Unless he's added as a fighter or a boss (maybe if they add another mode), Porky's absence will be the weirdest thing about the game. He even has a stage named after him.
He's one of the biggest characters in the Mother series and to not even have a spirit is so bizarre.

I don't really buy into the theory that its a joke that he's still safe inside the capsule despite getting turned into a spirit.
I thought that there won't be any more new game modes and bosses. Just playable characters, spirits, and music.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
If the Lloyd costume comes back with Kazuya, then there will be only two people known to have actual evidence : Porky and a Rhythm Heaven rep.
Rhythm Heaven was datamined in Smash 4 and was supposed to get a playable character like Tekken but couldn't due to the 3ds crappy hardware. I'm quite worried if Kazuya means that a Rhythm Heaven rep is coming as well which will result in Porky getting nothing at all.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I thought that there won't be any more new game modes and bosses. Just playable characters, spirits, and music.
I mean they've said there won't be any more gamemodes, but you never know. I'm not counting on it but you never know.
Sakurai also said "I hope you aren't expecting too many new fighters" and now Ultimate has the most newcomers in the entire series.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I mean they've said there won't be any more gamemodes, but you never know. I'm not counting on it but you never know.
Sakurai also said "I hope you aren't expecting too many new fighters" and now Ultimate has the most newcomers in the entire series.
Oh god. I'm gonna cry if this happens. 3 years of suffering for nothing.
Damn guys. Guess we should just welcome the SMT guy and start playing his games. We tried boys.
jk(maybe)

Last edited:
Top Bottom