• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
aww hahaha. that's actually the reason i'm there

summer session just finished

which is why i'm blowing up smashboards again hahaha

i think i've gotten 300 posts in the past 3 days

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes sir i do. the animation department is pretty dang legit, though not as excellent as the ones in some other schools around the world.

gobelins................ ;_;

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah that's the school I was looking at. I couldn't get a loan for 4 years, so I couldn't go. :/
For what I'm doing it's on par with the Art Institute of Vancouver, bbut AIV doesn't to degrees unfortunately.

Also yeah French art schools are lolgood

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ouch :( ah well. gotta focus mad hard on that demo reel/portfolio then. in the art world, that kind of credential is way more important than a degree anyway

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah that's why I ended up coming here in the end. I'll probably end up coming here for multiple courses as well. It'd be worth it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yeah fosho. schools mostly provide the tools and teach you how to use them, and rarely do instructors really help with the creative process outside of suggestions and critique. it's all your own work in the end (and whoever you're collaborating with)

Geist

Smash Master
Totally
It's awesome how in private schools they don't have to hire people with teaching degrees, so we get industry professionals instead of people teaching from a book. Better for learning, and better for networking.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ahha that's definitely true. they know their stuff, but a lot of the time their teaching methods aren't the best or most efficient unless they've been teaching for a while

however, it's easy to respect them and learn from them because they're usually very skilled

Geist

Smash Master
ahha that's definitely true. they know their stuff, but a lot of the time their teaching methods aren't the best or most efficient unless they've been teaching for a while
Yeah I can definitely vouch for that lol
The teachers that are good however, are amazing.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
OMG A WIP BY GEIST

I was hoping we'd get to see more of your character designs. Have you gotten to do much 3d modeling lately? I think you posted like a medieval interior a long time ago, was wondering if you'd modeled any people yet.

Geist

Smash Master
Actually, funny you mention it, because I'm working on a character model of Cyclops from Astounding Xmen at the moment. :D And then for my demo reel I'm going to be doing a 3d model of that character I posted way back from concepts class.
I have a bunch of character design sketches that I do in photoshop when I'm bored, maybe I'll post some when I get a nice amount built up lol

ALSO MY ALIENWARE CAME IN YESSSS

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha my friend has my sketches right now, he's gonna scan them up. i'll see if i'll upload stuff or not haha.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I haven't heard anything about SCAD at all. Aren't they more focused towards architecture?

[collapse="OMG A WIP BY GEIST"]
[/collapse]
I'm learning so much stuff about art school from readin everything. Also Geist, that **** is nasty! It looks 3Dish and real and the armor over the body looks so... i dunno even know how to describe it. It's just crazy.

Edit: I wish I could design costumes like that /jelly

Edit 2: The more I stare at it, the more I feel like that's how a girl would look like if she could jump into a game or something heh heh.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm fairly certain with practice, that a reference would not be needed.

Of which I think Geist is experienced enough to do so.

Just wait until you see the finished product.

Geist

Smash Master
geist did you use a ref for that or no?
Nope, zero reference. :D
I'm fairly certain with practice, that a reference would not be needed.

Of which I think Geist is experienced enough to do so.

Just wait until you see the finished product.
Yup Zio knows where it's at

I'm learning so much stuff about art school from readin everything. Also Geist, that **** is nasty! It looks 3Dish and real and the armor over the body looks so... i dunno even know how to describe it. It's just crazy.

Edit: I wish I could design costumes like that /jelly

Edit 2: The more I stare at it, the more I feel like that's how a girl would look like if she could jump into a game or something heh heh.
Thanks lol :p
I feel obliged to say that life drawing made it possible lol

Geist

Smash Master
Thanks guys :D
Since it's still in the rough stages, if you guys see anything funky that you think I should fix, I would be eternally grateful if you showed me. Constructive feedback is my friend

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
alright

the only confusing part for me is the way the hair flows. since it's not going straight down, i can't tell where the ground is. i'm not sure if the hair is like that because it's short or styled, or if the right side of her hair is going over her shoulder instead of falling straight down. or if the eye is just at an angle, idk it just kinda throws off the balance

that's the only thing i notice :)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I feel like maybe her head is closer to the body than it should? Like, maybe the neck is too short.

I unno

Geist

Smash Master
Alright, sounds to me like I have a bit of foreshortening to improve.
Her chin is pointed down, so her neck is anatomically correct, I just chose poor indicators to show that. Fixing now.

I'm also noticing a few whoopsies on the armor symmetry, but at the moment it's just rough linework, so it's easily fixable.

Thanks guys, it really helps to have a second eye for these things.

Geist

Smash Master
I have a bad habit of adding details where they're not needed, and way before I should. And then I notice a glaring mistake and I'm like yeah there's no way to fix this without starting over. :/
I need to practice process big time

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
1. Bren, AWESOME PIC.
2. What kind of Alienwareeeeee?

3. SCAD is awesome. Twas my second choice. Only downside for me was no winters (snowboarder)/it was far away from home. What major are you thinking of?

Edit:
4. Moved in today! Expect pictures of the room/potentially my roomie and I being insane. We've known each other for a while, so our room is ultra cozy and friendly <3

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So.

Like, someone in Disco Room ask drawing of Myr by anyone. I decide I draw something right fast. I post results to you all as well.

I didn't put much effort into the background/foreground because it's really not gonna be seen on the card template. Just the character.

Top Bottom