• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I envy you Neon! I wish I were done! Just ... two more years ...

I shall make you something to celebrate!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
/woodcut present

It's an image of the moon - mom's name being Selene. So considerate.

+50 son points

...LOL, I need to get on that, since it needs to be carved, printed, and matted into my portfolio by Friday.

Geist

Smash Master
Here's a character I'm working on for concept design class :3
Getting lots of positive comments about her here, what do you guys think?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
That's niiiice. She looks like she ain't afraid to get her hands dirty. Also, at least one of her extremities should be a buzzsaw. She got a backstory?

So, what kind of stuff do you guys learn/talk about in that class? I'd love to have taken a concept design class lol, since that's something I would like to make a career out of.

Geist, you need to start posting everything you've done for that class. Your character design is pretty awesome. :>

Geist

Smash Master
Thanks guuuuueezz :3

That's niiiice. She looks like she ain't afraid to get her hands dirty. Also, at least one of her extremities should be a buzzsaw. She got a backstory?
She does have a back story actually, that was one of the optional parts of this assignment. We have to design 2 characters in this class that interact with each other in some way. My first character was an alien and of a diplomat/ high class standing, while she's a lone drifter/pilot/mechanic, so I thought it would be interesting to be able to combine the two worlds of a clean technological style with a steampunk look, and see how the two interact.

As for actual story, it would probably follow along the lines of my first character fleeing from a botched assassination attempt, running into this character, who in the spurr of the moment decides to save his life, and inadvertently gets caught up in a scheme of events that thrusts both characters out of their typical way of life. Tension and lulz inevitably ensue.
I'm actually planning on doing this character for my 3d modelling course too :D

Also, officially giving her a buzzsaw weapon
So, what kind of stuff do you guys learn/talk about in that class? I'd love to have taken a concept design class lol, since that's something I would like to make a career out of.

Geist, you need to start posting everything you've done for that class. Your character design is pretty awesome. :>
We do a lot of different exercizes. Once we came into class and there were a bunch of random lines and shapes on the whiteboard, and he had us design a character out of each of them. We do everything from gesture studies, to anatomy sketches, learning cartooning styles, etc. It's a lot of drawing, and probably one of the most work intensive courses in my entire program.
And yeah I'll post the rest of the stuff when I get the chance :D

Geist

Smash Master
I love how you're all hitting her right on the mark xD
It tells me I'm doing my job right. <333 err'body

Inspirations include Tank Girl, Mira from Kotor, Faith from Mirror's edge and Kaylee from Firefly

Geist

Smash Master
Double post for great justice. I finally finished a digital painting I've been working on since the beginning of last fall.
OOHHH MAAANNN

Also, I'm probably going to make a DA, someone help me think of an account name.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Brenicorn

O____O
DANGIT BREN
YOU SUCK
(aka you are awesome at art and make me sooo jealous xD NOW I GOTTA PAINT MY HEART OUT! DANGIT!!!!)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
One question - did you use a photograph as reference (or even use it as a layer underneath the work space so you could trace), or was this all done by yourself?

Geist

Smash Master
Oh man if I could draw faces like that from scratch my world would be complete. I used a photo for a reference, but drew the entire thing from scratch in a separate window.

@Alyssa & Global: >:3

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
D:<
BREN
We are such frenemies.
We're friends...BUT SOMETIMES I JUST WANT TO MAIM YOU AND STEAL YOUR ARTISTIC TALENTS WITH VOODOO MAGIC.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh okay. So it wasn't a trace.

You've got a great sense of proportion. Good work.

Geist

Smash Master
I double post a lot in this thread. Y U B DEAD AE, HUH?! HMM?

Anyways, thought I'd share another digital painting I did. I'm still experimenting, and I still have NO idea what I'm doing. But it's super addicting, so expect moar where this comes from. :3

Tips and critiques would be awesome, I can always use some of that. Nitpicking is nice too. I'm still a nooby at digital painting and I need direction so baaaaddd.
The chick is my friend Aly (not you Alyssa >:D) - she told me she wanted a dragon lol

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Haaa, I love the completely uncaring look on its face.

What's that long thing in the corner? Tail?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FIRST - What are you doing to digital paint.

I saw a tutorial and thought it was a decent method. Using the alt button to choose the color between two colors and paint, etc. But I feel like that limits me to those colors and doesn't truly allow me to express the picture how i see it.

Second - Get rid of the treeeeeeeee on the right it's mad distracting, imo, and if the focus of the piece is gonna Me and My Charmeleon In Real Life (I just made that up don't get angry :() then I think anything i the foreground will detract from it. If you want trees, I'd suggest putting some, visibly, in the background.

LAST - I also think the surrounding area should be less . . . bright. I unno. Depends on what you want, I guess, but I think it being so bright also detracts from the lizard and kid.

I hope that's good for you.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
The shadow on the ground in front of the lizard should extend farther. The light areas on the lizard are probably a little too bright, it'd probably be better to make it darker with highlights on particular scales. And same thoughts as Zio about the tree on the right.

So good for a self-proclaimed noob though. :O

Geist

Smash Master
FIRST - What are you doing to digital paint.

I saw a tutorial and thought it was a decent method. Using the alt button to choose the color between two colors and paint, etc. But I feel like that limits me to those colors and doesn't truly allow me to express the picture how i see it.
I use photoshop CS5 Extended and a crappy but lovable Wacom pen tablet.
I don't like tutorials online, mostly because it's other people's preferred style, with people's preferred options, etc, and so forth. Plus, just looking around online for 10 minutes you can see that there's a plethora of techniques, and not any one is the 'correct' one.
Now in typical ironic fashion, I will give you a painting tutorial.
I start off with linework drawn on my tablet. Just rough stuff, nothing too fancy. I create different layers for different objects, characters, etc.
I take a mask and outline my linework, again using different layers for different things. Then I throw 3 colors in, a dark, medium, and light version of the same color (it doesn't even matter which color. Not with the magic of hue/saturation editing at least) and then establish mid tones highlights and shadows.
This is where I start to feel like a mad scientist, because I imagine myself at my desk during a thunderstorm, with tesla coils behind me and my painting on a stretcher. I'm screaming random nonsense like "MORE YELLOW HAHAHA" and "OPACITY! MORE OPACITY! LAYERS! MUUULLLTIPLYYYYY!" so I can't really explain what goes on. I press buttons, bs it up a bit, throw in layers upon layers of paint at low opacity and layer effects (mostly multiply, soft light, and overlay), maybe a bit of blurring and smudging. I'm still at the point where I'm searching for a technique I can feel comfortable with. I'll let you in on it once I get it lol
Second - Get rid of the treeeeeeeee on the right it's mad distracting, imo, and if the focus of the piece is gonna Me and My Charmeleon In Real Life (I just made that up don't get angry :() then I think anything i the foreground will detract from it. If you want trees, I'd suggest putting some, visibly, in the background.
D: but I do have trees in the bg

I was experimenting with different foreground elements. The painting lacks depth without something there. But of course if the tree is detracting from the piece, then I'll find something else. There's just a voice at the back of my head that screams things to me so I put in a tree and convinced the voice that that's what it wanted so it would shut up.

LAST - I also think the surrounding area should be less . . . bright. I unno. Depends on what you want, I guess, but I think it being so bright also detracts from the lizard and kid.

I hope that's good for you.
I'll try experimenting with brightnesses, but for the most part I wanted a bright happy scene. Something different from what I usually do. I'll see what happens.
Anyways sooo much appreciated :D

The shadow on the ground in front of the lizard should extend farther. The light areas on the lizard are probably a little too bright, it'd probably be better to make it darker with highlights on particular scales. And same thoughts as Zio about the tree on the right.

So good for a self-proclaimed noob though. :O
thankssss :3
I'll try that out too. I'll definitely consider killing that tree.

but yeah I suck and I don't like my own stuff. Never have, never will. xD

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I like the sentiment.

I suppose I'll experiment further digital painting.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Instead of working on my super overdue art trades like a good little girl, I drew this yesterday:

3 hours for this little thing. >_> So I drew something again today and gave myself 1 hour.

Hopefully over time I'll be able to draw faster AND better lol...

2 pictures in 2 days wat is this

Geist

Smash Master
I like the simplicity in your stuff, but I feel like the first one's missing something without the lines.
Also procrastination ftw

neous

Smash Journeyman
neologisms. you guys are funny :]

dimitris, i just used #2 pencil, skinny sharpies, oj + red crayola colored pencils, and those unlabeled markers that have been around the house for a while [the ones your not sure where they came from or how long they've been there]
+filter

:D

i wish you guys would post more pictures too

edit: filter as in auto levels, cross process, soften
sometimes i use other auto filters
or "paint" with tints. hope this clarifies Dimitirs**

Dimitris

Smash Ace
What do you mean with filter?
Was asking cause the colours have a old feel to them, is cool.

Top Bottom