• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: Vote for your preferred Smash Bros DLC choices!

Who would you like to see as DLC for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U?

• Ice Climbers

Votes: 362 37.6%
  • Lucas

Votes: 379 39.4%
  • Wolf

Votes: 475 49.3%
  • Snake

Votes: 327 34.0%
  • Roy

Votes: 208 21.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 168 17.4%
  • Ivysaur

• Pichu

Votes: 112 11.6%
  • King K.Rool (Donkey Kong)

Votes: 411 42.7%
  • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

Votes: 293 30.4%
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)

Votes: 350 36.3%
  • Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)

Votes: 184 19.1%
  • Inkling (Splatoon)

Votes: 240 24.9%
  • Impa (The Legend of Zelda)

Votes: 230 23.9%
  • Tetra (The Legend of Zelda)

Votes: 112 11.6%
  • Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros)

Votes: 182 18.9%
  • Paper Mario (Paper Mario/Super Mario Bros)

Votes: 165 17.1%
  • Krystal (Star Fox)

Votes: 208 21.6%
  • Black Shadow (F-Zero)

Votes: 117 12.1%
  • Medusa (Kid Icarus)

Votes: 104 10.8%
  • Hades (Kid Icarus)

Votes: 108 11.2%
  • Bandanna Dee (Kirby)

Votes: 246 25.5%
  • Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)

Votes: 179 18.6%
  • Ray Mk (Custom Robo)

Votes: 113 11.7%
  • Andy (Advance Wars)

Votes: 115 11.9%
  • Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo!)

Votes: 128 13.3%
  • Kamek (Yoshi)

Votes: 93 9.7%
  • Lip (Panel De Pon)

Votes: 118 12.3%
  • Mach Rider (Mach Rider)

Votes: 109 11.3%
  • Reyn (Xenoblade Chronicles)

Votes: 77 8.0%
  • Rayman (Rayman)

Votes: 200 20.8%
  • Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

• Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

Votes: 124 12.9%
  • Bomberman (Bomberman)

Votes: 153 15.9%
  • 4th Mii Fighter Archetype

Votes: 154 16.0%
  • Other...(character not on this list)

Votes: 331 34.4%

• Total voters

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I think the "doesn't fit" bar for Smash Bros is incredibly high. The vast majority of characters couldn't hope to go over it.

Smash Bros is a mish mash of dozens of different series, the only reason you don't see many Snake-like characters is because that's not Nintendo's thing.

I don't think a series like Smash Bros has a particular "image" it has to uphold. It's flexible and can welcome most characters.

Granted if the character is an eldritch abomination covered in guts and entrails we might run into a problem.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
My top choices are:
1. Wolf (the most unique/different of the Star Fox trio; villain/rival)
2. Dixie Kong (sorry, but Rool isn't as relevant even though he would work well too)
3. Tetra (or Impa, but preferably Tetra since Tetra would probably have a better moveset)
4. Lucas (I unfortunately don't see him fitting on the list as well as any of the others I've ranked)
5. Krystal (Highly unlikely, but I think she would work well)

Speculator

Smash Ace
Lucas and the Ice Climbers for me. They're the only characters I think absolutely must be added. I've seen no reasonable explanation for Lucas's abscence, and withholding the Ice Climbers from the Wii U version on account of the 3DS's limited hardware is inexcusable. Both characters are Smash Bros veterans and I'd prioritize them above all else.

I would dearly like to see Snake come back as well, but that one is ultimately up to licensing and things so I'm not sure if it's feasible. Third party characters are a great way to boost initial interest in a game but I'm not sure if they'd go to all the extra effort to rope one in just to try and boost overall lifetime sales. I'm not an expert on this, but I assume there are some hurdles there for Snake that aren't there for other characters.

Although I didn't want him cut, I can easily live without Wolf. By no means did he feel as redundant as a character like Dark Pit, but he did share specials with two other characters which doesn't exactly scream unique and interesting. Star Fox for me was never a series that really warranted three characters. Most of what the series has to offer can be (and is) represented through Fox himself, with Falco sliding through as a character with a long connection to SSB.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are both unique fighters and I can't really offer a reason for not voting for them, aside from the fact that Mewtwo is coming back and it would feel like a wasted opportunity if three old Pokemon characters were brought back as DLC. Pokemon is huge and important, sure, but I don't think it's eight-characters-important.

As for anybody else, I'm pretty much already satisfied. Generally I'm very happy with the newcomers in SSB4, and I'd be equally happy if DLC was used entirely to add in stages and bring back missing veterans. Certainly there's nobody on the poll that I'm dying to see added and while there are a few characters I supported pre-release, I don't think it's realistic to expect them to go to extra development time in order to add obscure characters like the Prince of Sable or Sukapon. Use DLC to patch up the major cuts first, I say, then worry about new characters.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I can't really see Wolf returning since one of Fox's custom moves is literally called Wolf Flash, taking away Wolf's bigger potential. Same can be applied to Lucas, as all his moves from Brawl were given to Ness as custom moves. Granted Nintendo can always make a moveset from the scratch for these characters, especially Lucas. I voted for at least one of these two since I would like him here. This poll is not about who's more likely.

I voted for several other characters as well because I want to see them make an appearance. I think some of my votes are not likely at all, however this poll is just about your preferences. Unfortunately some people are voting for who the feel is 'right' rather than what they want personally. It disappoints me a pinch. :(

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Characters I voted for are Lucas, Wolf, Dixie, Issac, Snake, Inkling
And for characters that fall under "Other...", I would like to have Fiora and Agnes

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I can't really see Wolf returning since one of Fox's custom moves is literally called Wolf Flash, taking away Wolf's bigger potential. Same can be applied to Lucas, as all his moves from Brawl were given to Ness as custom moves. Granted Nintendo can always make a moveset from the scratch for these characters, especially Lucas. I voted for at least one of these two since I would like him here. This poll is not about who's more likely.
I don't think Fox using Wolf Flash is really an issue. It would just make Wolf slightly more of a clone than he already is.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I don't think Fox using Wolf Flash is really an issue. It would just make Wolf slightly more of a clone than he already is.
Technically it would make Fox a clone of Wolf since Wolf Flash was originally Wolf's move. Man Wolf and K rool are dueling hard as of this post Wolf has 195 votes and K rool has 194. I think its getting obvious who the top veteran and top newcomer for DLC are.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Notice how the veterans are ranking high
:popo:
:wolf: It's because people miss them and actually have a fan-base built upon there past appearance. :')
True. I think it's also because we're familiar with them. We know generally what they'll be like and whether we want that.

Unlike with newcomers where there's no guarantee a character you like will fit into your playstyle.

At least for me the Ice Climbers always felt like they'd be there, so I just feels wrong that they didn't return.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Now that I have a chance to comment, I'd like to make note of a few things relating to this poll.

1) Thus far, I have only polled this site. I can't say if it has been the entirety of the site, but I am going to try to get this poll more exposure in the coming days so we can get more results.

2) I'm surprised to see Wolf on top of the poll. K.Rool was #1 for essentially the entirety of the poll, so I think it's impressive to see that happen here.

3)I'm surprised to see Bandanna Dee is so high (staying neck and neck with Snake). I am not sure if those results would be different or not if I polled other sites, but I will have to look into that. (I'm not trying to look down upon BD fans. I've just not really seen a lot of following for him on other sites)

4) The Top 10 are:

1) Wolf 200
2) K.Rool 198
3) Lucas 168
4) Ice Climbers 151
5) Isaac 149
6) Dixie 134
7) Snake 121
8) Bandanna Dee 120
9) Impa 105
10) Inklings 80

A few things to note here, starting with the dropoff after Impa. Past Impa, Inklings are next in line with 80. That's quite a few votes between them. Also worth noting is the position of Inklings compared to other choices. In particular, Krystal and Roy aren't in the Top 10, and are getting beaten by a few moderately popular choices. I am not including "Other" in the Top 10 based on how diverse the selections are within that choice.

5) Wonder Red and Inklings, to me, are choices that may get more popular as time goes by. Both are new IP's that aren't represented past a trophy (Wonder Red anyway), and both characters have big potential in a game like Smash. Look out for these two series to stick around in speculation.

Overall, I'm not surprised by the placement of the veterans, or the DK newcomers, Impa and Isaac. I do believe, however, that it is worth noting that the characters following these highly voted characters are surpassing choices that formerly topped polls. While this isn't the only source of votes out there, seeing Inklings next in line to Impa is incredibly interesting to me.

Also, based on my calculations, about 380 people have voted on this poll. Not bad!

Last edited:

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
My choices are: Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Pichu, Roy, Squirtle, and Ivysaur as I'm an anti-cut guy.
For the "others" I would like to see Fiora/Elma/Melia from the Xeno series.
As well as Pious Augustus as I feel Eternal Darkness needs more love.

How does a plumber, a monkey, an electric rat, a neck-slitting mercenary, a blue hedgehog, a racer, a medieval prince, a crossdressing princess, a Doctor, and a 2D sprite fit in this game again?

This game is not meant to worry about "fitting in". The fun of this game is taking characters and elements from completely different universes and clashing them together in a fighting game.

Edit: My newcomers choices are Isaac, King. K Rool, Wonder Red, Tetra, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Black Shadow, Ray MK, Kamek, and a 4th Mii Archetype for those who's wondering. I would also like to see John Raimi (Geist) joining up but I'm not sure how would the unique possession mechanic will work in Super Smash Bros. As well as Captain Syrup due to the fact there's a disappointing amount of pirates on the roster. :c

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
My choices are: Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Pichu, Roy, Squirtle, and Ivysaur as I'm an anti-cut guy.

How does a plumber, a monkey, an electric rat, a neck-slitting mercenary, a blue hedgehog, a racer, a medieval prince, a crossdressing princess, a Doctor, and a 2D sprite fit in this game again?

This game is not meant to worry about "fitting in". The fun of this game is taking characters and elements from completely different universes and clashing them together in a fighting game.
I would so so love playable Pious Augustus.

Too bad the chance is practically zero unless Nintendo have Eternal Darkness 2 waiting in the wings. Which I doubt somehow....

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Pichu is the man I want, and if they put him in he should be a semi-clone of pickahu thats weak on attacks but is fast, things like low start and end lag and really fast everything speeds

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice

Pretty much this. I came in here to vote for Snake and an Eternal Darkness character.

DESPITE YOUR FAITH, THERE IS LITTLE TO SAVE YOU FROM THE POWER OF-

XEL'LOTATH!

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Only really had two votes.

1) IC's. Even though Sakurai has given his word on why they're not here, the poll is about what I want to see. I love those adorable little broken monsters.

2) Pichu. Forever my favorite, I put all my hopes in the return of the greatest thing to happen to smash. An underdog story that echoes through the ages, Pichu has a special place in my heart.

StormC

Smash Hero
1) Thus far, I have only polled this site. I can't say if it has been the entirety of the site, but I am going to try to get this poll more exposure in the coming days so we can get more results.!
I'm running a lower scale poll on a different site (only allows for 10 poll options, I put 9 characters and Other, and a far smaller, but still active, userbase). If you're interested, I can post the results after 24 hours or so.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The fact that Bandanna Derp has more votes than Snake makes me wonder if half the people who voted even play Smash games.
LOL Didn't you say the same thing about people who supported DHD? :troll:

The people pushing for the Duck Hunt Dog either don't care about the roster or hardly play Smash games anyways, and care more about looking at the character select screen than playing the game.
Just because some people supported certain characters that you personally don't like doesn't mean they don't play Smash games. It just means they would like to play as that character in Smash games. :4duckhunt:

That said, Bandanna Dee for SSB4 DLC or SSB5!!!! :awesome:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I see al lot of hate for Bandana Dee so I though I would my opnions on him and the DLC entirely.
Firstly Let's look at the characters I voted for. My mains:
:popo::wolf:
Now let's look at every series reps including the cuts that shall be separated with a -
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina::4drmario:
:4dk::4diddy:
:4wario:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink:-:younglinkmelee:
:4samus::4zss:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4greninja::mewtwopm:-:squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee:
:4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede:
:4fox::4falco:-:wolf:
:4ness:-

:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinf::4lucina:-:roypm:
One character Series::4falcon::4duckhunt::4gaw::4littlemac::4olimar::4rob::4villager::4wiifit::4shulk:-:popo:
Third parties::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic:-:snake:
As you can see two series that are from the original 12 lost reps being Mother and Star Fox now this is what bugs me about people who want Bandana Dee.
The fact Kirby has 3 already while these two sit with a one rep missing :4fox::4falco:/:4ness: and Waddle Dee himself is alrady in the game....
The other thing that bugs me is Kirby gets quite good Representation already being made by the creator While I see a distinct lack of anything Mother 3 related depending on if Lucas is hidden or this stage is returning :npc:
Personally though I wouldn't mind Bandana Dee Only and if only he is a very late character or comes with a bg character like Isaac or K rool.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I voted for:

Ice Climbers
Lucas
Wolf
Snake
Pichu
I just want them back because they're my favorite cut veterans.
King K. Rool- Still one of my most wanted characters. Plus new DK villain/rep
Wonder Red- I love his game, and I think his moveset would be cool.
Inkling- Represents new IP. Plus I love squid related stuff.
Tetra- Another Toon Legend of Zelda character. Unique moveset.
Captain Toad- Represents a new game, and FINALLY gets Toad into Smash.
Paper Mario- Represents the Paper Mario series. Unique moveset.
Black Shadow- F-Zero needs someone new.
Bandanna Dee- Major Kirby character. One of my most wanted.
Chorus Kids- Represents Rhythm Heaven. Unique moveset.
Chibi-Robo- Represents a series that I LOVE. Unique moveset.
Kamek- Yoshi villain would be nice. Unique movset.
Reyn- Another Xenoblade rep. I want him if only for his cheesy quotes.
Rayman and Bayonetta- Cool third-party characters that I like
4th Mii Fighter- A mage or something would be cool
Other: Plasm Wraith- New Pikmin villain/rep. Very unique moveset.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I can't really see Wolf returning since one of Fox's custom moves is literally called Wolf Flash, taking away Wolf's bigger potential. Same can be applied to Lucas, as all his moves from Brawl were given to Ness as custom moves.
You oughta press the A button more. With regards to Lucas, the moves I'd consider really 'his' are his tilts, his smashes, his aerials and so on. His specials were the only thing he shared with Ness in the first place, which is why it confuses me when people suggest he can be supplemented by custom specials. Same with Wolf, pretty much.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
As you can see two series that are from the original 12 lost reps being Mother and Star Fox now this is what bugs me about people who want Bandana Dee.
The fact Kirby has 3 already while these two sit with a one rep missing :4fox::4falco:/:4ness: and Waddle Dee himself is alrady in the game....
The other thing that bugs me is Kirby gets quite good Representation already being made by the creator While I see a distinct lack of anything Mother 3 related depending on if Lucas is hidden or this stage is returning :npc:
Personally though I wouldn't mind Bandana Dee Only and if only he is a very late character or comes with a bg character like Isaac or K rool.
Kirby is an ongoing series with over 20 games already; Mother is a finished series with only 3 games, and only one released outside Japan.

Kirby was made by the creator, but Mother was also made by HAL, the company Sakurai worked for when making Kirby and the first two Smash games. Frankly, I think that's why it got a character in the original, and a second in Brawl. Why should Mother get a second character in SSB4 before Golden Sun, Advance Wars, or Custom Robo get a single character?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Edit: My newcomers choices are Isaac, King. K Rool, Wonder Red, Tetra, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Black Shadow, Ray MK, Kamek, and a 4th Mii Archetype for those who's wondering. I would also like to see John Raimi (Geist) joining up but I'm not sure how would the unique possession mechanic will work in Super Smash Bros. As well as Captain Syrup due to the fact there's a disappointing amount of pirates on the roster. :c
Well the 2013 Trademark renewal covers DLC so they might have plans for the IP.
Pretty much this. I came in here to vote for Snake and an Eternal Darkness character.

DESPITE YOUR FAITH, THERE IS LITTLE TO SAVE YOU FROM THE POWER OF-

XEL'LOTATH!
I really want Pious in however his chances are low, but he'd be so cool and have some bad*** taunts like " I spit on thee" They could tone down his look for an E 10 rating and give him an E10 eternal Darkness stage ( with eternal darkness music of course) Plus he feels much more like the core character of Eternal Darkness than Roivas. Is there a Pious thread here?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I feel Alexandra Roivas is kinda....vanilla. Especially for a horror game such as Eternal Darkness. I think it would be far more fitting for the series to be represented by a villain.

Anyway we should probably go looking for an Eternal Darkness thread....

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
My Votes:
Lucas
Wolf
Snake
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Issac
Impa
Paper Mario
Krystal
Ray MK
Andy
Rayman
Bayonetta
Bomberman

Other:
Lloyd Irving
Shantae
Fiora
Black Mage
Hero (Dragon Quest)
Phoenix Wright
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Hatsune Miku
Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Ice Climbers, Lucas, Pichu, Dixie Kong, Wonder Red, Bandana Dee, Chibi Robo and 4th Mii Archetype.

My reasoning from most wanted to least wanted

Bandana Dee - My most wanted character, his Spear would give him potential for a moveset that is unique and help him stand out. he's become the 4th major character of the Kirby franchise so the group just feels incomplete without him now. plus including more content from newer Kirby games would help Sakurai make people believe he isn't biased to the old Kirby games he made himself.

Chibi Robo - I'd love to have more series represented in Smash and Chibi Robo is a somewhat obscure gem, I'd love to see him get implemented using all of his cleaning tools to help him in battle. (Super Smash Flash 2 already proved that he has great potential as a fighter in smash style, but I'm sure Sakurai and his team could put him to even better use and give him some unique fun gimmick to boot)

Lucas - One of my mains from Brawl, I loved using him. I just want to see him back, nuff said

Ice Climbers - Same reasoning as Lucas, plus they repped their series, they really shouldn't have been cut. I'm sure Sakurai can find a way to make them work again.

Wonder Red - Admittedly I haven't played much of Wonderful 101, but I know he has great potential and I'd love to see more series get repped.

4th Mii Type - This just sounds like a good idea. preferably a mage type or something

Dixie Kong - The DK franchise has been around so long and has so many characters that it really deserves another rep. I feel Dixie would fit in better than K. Rool although I would actually love to have them both. but out of the two I feel Dixie would be better and want her more. even if she is a semi-clone of Diddy giving her moves involving her hair and her new bubble gum gun could make her stand out and feel fresh and fun and not like a boring clone.

Pichu - one of my mains in Melee. I hate seeing characters get cut, and I liked the added challenge of getting hurt from my moves, it added more strategy and challenge to using him.

Although I'd gladly give up all of these potential DLC characters for Nintendo to buy back the Banjo-Kazooie IP from Rare and make Banjo a new first party rep in smash and start making Banjo-Threeie.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
At what point will it be considered scraping the bottom of the barrel for characters?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Rayman is a must.

It's a want poll, not a chance, so Ridley is a must.

I'd like all the veterans to come back (Although I could live without Roy, Squirtle, and Ivysaur), and I really really want Pichu to return.

Other then that, Isaac, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Sceptile... There are quite a few I would love to have

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I don't have very many wants, but here's who I picked and why:

Wolf: He is my favorite Star Fox character besides Krystal, and I thought it was awesome that he managed to get into Brawl. He wound up being my 3rd main. While I think it would be really awesome to get a fully unique Wolf, I would definitely welcome back his Brawl moveset.

Roy: He is my main in Project M and Melee, so I have grown to like him as a character, bland as he may be in his own game. Most people say that if you play Sword of Seals, then you will hate Roy, but I've beaten his game and he is still my favorite character (however I'm willing to admit that this is probably only because he introduced me to the Fire Emblem series). Since we already have Lucina, Roy would have to be reworked to get his own moveset, and I think it's possible to give him one completely based around fire. Probably not going to happen, but hey. A guy can dream.

King K. Rool: This big lug seems like such an obvious choice to me that I almost feel like I don't need to explain myself. Tons of crazy moveset potential, an awesome villain, and a heavywight (which Smash needs more of).

Dixie Kong: However, as much as I love K. Rool, if DK only received one newcomer, I would prefer it to be Dixie. She was my number one supported character before the roster was leaked, and that hasn't changed now. While Dixie looks like she would be nothing more than a clone of Diddy, her ponytail makes all of the difference. It would give her extra range and lots of disjointed hitboxes, she could use it to give her multiple jumps and superb aerial mobility, and she could use it as a tether grab. It has the potential to be very versatile and give Dixie a unique moveset based around it. On top of using her hair, Dixie could use other things like her Bubblegum Popgun, her guitar, and other miscellaneous items from the DKC games, such as barrels.

Captain Toad: While I was deaf to the cries of people calling for Toad to be included, I have reevaluated the possibility when it comes to this character. He's getting a new game which this can help promote, he can use plenty of unique powerups from said game in is moveset, this would provide a solution for those who want Toad, and he also has the possibility of getting Toadette as an alt, like Alph. I'm always up for playing as more female characters, and I'm intrigued as to what this character can bring to the table.

Krystal: She is my other favorite Star Fox character, and I think she could bring an interesting moveset into Smash with her staff. While Palutena uses a staff in her moveset, she doesn't use it nearly as much as Krystal would. This staff would give Krystal range and disjointed hitboxes, and various magical abilities, such as fireballs and icy winds. While I would want Wolf to return first, I still want Krystal.

Chrous Men: What can I say? They grew on me when I first saw them in the Gematsu leak. This character seems right up Sakurai's alley in terms of wacky moveset potential.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Why is Roy:4roy: on this list? He's already in the game! Wish he had a cool fiery sword though...

Top Bottom