• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Poll] So....What controller do you use?

What controller do you use?

• Total voters

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Im sure most use the GC controller, but I'm curious how many out there are using the other options.

If you use something besides the GC controller, tell us why (especially if you use "other").

Thanks guyz, U R COOL.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Since my Wii is the newer kind, the stupid kind, without backwards compatibility, I have to use Wiimote + Nunchuck. It's not so bad, really.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Just to copy and paste from an ancient thread about controls~

Classic Controller Pro:

x & a = Jump
y = Special
b = Standard Attacks
L & R = Grab
ZL = Up Taunt
ZR =Shield
Tap jump off.

And of course the left stick is for moment and right stick for C-Stick. XD

I've honestly found the CCP to be much more responsive and efficient to use than the Gamecube Controller ever since I switched early last year. I love it. :3

Easier to hold, easier to use for Smash and transition well into the many other games I play, too. Very easy to press the buttons down as well. Especially the shoulders.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio

Classic Controller Pro:

x & a = Jump
y = Special
b = Standard Attacks
L & R = Grab
ZL = Up Taunt
ZR =Shield
Tap jump off.

I've honestly found the CCP to be much more responsive and efficient to use than the Gamecube Controller ever since I switched early last year. I love it. :3

Easier to hold, easier to use for Smash and transition well into the many other games I play, too. Very easy to press the buttons down as well. Especially the shoulders.
how long did it take you to fully transition? The joysticks on the CC seem longer than the GC controller. That was making it difficult for me the last time i tried to switch.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
That Gamecube controller is top tier. I bought those white ones from Japan a few years back, and those things are perfect. 8) Up until that point, I'd still been using my old black one that came with the GC, and my brother was using some funky orange one that he'd bought soon after.

Real men play Smash with the Donkey Konga controller.

Oh man, I gotta try this now. It would be so ridiculous if someone showed up a tourney with those bongos and just started destroying everyone.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I use a CCP, but only because I play on the Wii U. I prefer the GCN controller. But since I also plan to get Smash 4 on both Wii U and 3DS, I figured I should learn the button layout.
(And by the way, for those of you who don't have a Wii U but plan to get it for Smash, the Pro Controller is incredibly comfortable, quite responsive, and overall very good. If I could use it for P:M, I would. It's quickly become one of my favorite controllers.)

Classic Controller Pro:

x & a = Jump
y = Special
b = Standard Attacks
L & R = Grab
ZL = Up Taunt
ZR =Shield
Tap jump off.

This is almost the same button layout I use. Except I have both ZR and ZL set to shield, and R and L set to grab (mostly so I can drop my bombs in midair; I never actually use the one-button grab). I'm banking on Smash 4 letting us customize controls again.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm on GC controller, but I plan on using the CCP for Smash 4.
Actually I should've switched to it when I picked PM up, but I forgot and now I'm just being lazy because changing habits is hard.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm on GC controller, but I plan on using the CCP for Smash 4.
Actually I should've switched to it when I picked PM up, but I forgot and now I'm just being lazy because changing habits is hard.
Seriously, I'd use the Pro Controller for Smash 4. It's just like the CCP but the sticks are in a more comfortable place and it's overall more comfortable to hold. Plus, you don't have to worry about Wii Remote connections getting screwed up.

Cocochap

Smash Rookie
I used the Wii mote and Nunchuck for the entirety of Brawl's lifespan. But after getting into watching the Melee/P:M tournament scene and playing P:M for myself, I decided to switch over to the GC controller. This way I can teach myself to do things like retreating forward airs with the C stick, which is otherwise something you just can't do with Wiichuck.

Though I still love using the Wiimote and Nunchuck, I just find the control scheme comfortable.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I used the Wii mote and Nunchuck for the entirety of Brawl's lifespan. But after getting into watching the Melee/P:M tournament scene and playing P:M for myself, I decided to switch over to the GC controller. This way I can teach myself to do things like retreating forward airs with the C stick, which is otherwise something you just can't do with Wiichuck.

Though I still love using the Wiimote and Nunchuck, I just find the control scheme comfortable.

Did you wiggle to smash left or right?

TreK

Is "that guy"
Seriously, I'd use the Pro Controller for Smash 4. It's just like the CCP but the sticks are in a more comfortable place and it's overall more comfortable to hold. Plus, you don't have to worry about Wii Remote connections getting screwed up.
The wii U pro you mean ?
Sure, the layout and hold are better but... There is a deal breaker for me with this pad : round stick holes. The Wii CCP has the same octogonal holes the GC pad has, which makes it a bit more reliable for me.
Of course, we wouldn't have to talk about this if Nintendo listened to petitions. I'd throw a lot of money at Wii U compatible GC pads xD

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
Wiichuck, It's the most comfortable for me. I don't use shake smash, but it's godlike for SDI.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The wii U pro you mean ?
Sure, the layout and hold are better but... There is a deal breaker for me with this pad : round stick holes. The Wii CCP has the same octogonal holes the GC pad has, which makes it a bit more reliable for me.
Of course, we wouldn't have to talk about this if Nintendo listened to petitions. I'd throw a lot of money at Wii U compatible GC pads xD
Okay, fair enough, I guess. I've never actually noticed a difference. And the sticks themselves are far more comfortable than the CCP ones. If it's that big a problem for ya though, I get it.

Yeah. Maybe some third party will make (GOOD) Pro controllers shaped like the GCN controllers. I doubt any controller will have comparable battery life to Nintendo's Pro Controller though. If anything they're underselling when they say eighty hours of use in a single charge.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
how long did it take you to fully transition? The joysticks on the CC seem longer than the GC controller. That was making it difficult for me the last time i tried to switch.
Literally 15 minutes of playing constantly due to me experimenting what control layout would work best. XD

I actually had the button layout planned ahead of time because I bought the CCP to prepare for Smash 4 since I knew it would be coming eventually. I actually used my normal Classic Controller to experiment and theorize ahead of time what buttons would world well and looked up the CCP to learn that the L/R and ZL/ZR buttons were placed differently between the two, so I knew ahead of time what to do and had additional time to practice and prepare to 100% make the switch whenever the time came for me to purchase the CCP.

The goal for this button layout was to create a control scheme similar to that of the Gamecube Controller that would be simple and efficient for me and anyone else to use if they had this controller. That's why x & a are set to jump to replicate X & Y on the GCC, b is the replicate A in the sense that it's where your right thumb should always be at and y is to take the place of B as an easy to reach button for moving between the standard attack button and the two jump buttons. I initially tested it out with b and y being switched but it wasn't quite as comfortable or easy to jump right back into, so I changed them around and it fits perfectly. Obviously, ZL and ZR are to be in place of the GCC's L and R shoulder buttons while L and R are the Z button, only there's two. Like I said earlier, I planned this ahead of time since on the normal Classic Controller, L and R are normal shoulder buttons while ZL and ZR are smaller buttons in-between them, so I knew ahead of time that I would have to have the controls set to match the CCP's button layout where ZL and ZR are the more comfortable shoulder buttons to keep your fingers on and L and R are better suited for grabbing or tether shenanigans. I also used the Playstation controllers as a reference to that since they're similar in button layouts, which makes perfect sense if you know the early history between Nintendo and Sony.

So yeah, that's the story. Now I can't go back to Gamecube controllers. They feel clunky and awkward to hold and use compared to the CCP. The buttons press down quickly and easily whether I do it lightly or all the way and it's just very comfortable in my hands. Plus, I'm never worried about batter like since I have 3 pairs of AA rechargeable batteries. If I'm running low on one pair, I always have two other pairs fully charged and ready for me by the time the current ones are about to run out. I've also got the control layout saved on my Wiimote with my name so I can take it anywhere and be prepared to face off with anyone if I'm not playing on my Wii at the time.

Phew...I guess I went all out in preparing to use this controller for the next game, huh? Was that a fun enough bedtime story for you guys? ¦D

This is almost the same button layout I use. Except I have both ZR and ZL set to shield, and R and L set to grab (mostly so I can drop my bombs in midair; I never actually use the one-button grab). I'm banking on Smash 4 letting us customize controls again.
I only have ZL set to Up-Taunt because of taunt canceling with certain characters and for 100% more "HYES!" when I serve up the Knee of Justice. XD

I only ever use one button to shield, so I figured I'd use the other one for something else. So yeah, there's only a single button difference between out controls. :3

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
My preferred controller is Gamecube, but I've been using the Classic Controller until I can get a new Gamecube controller because all five of mine have something wrong with them, three have broken c-sticks, one has a broken control stick, and one has a broke Z-button

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The goal for this button layout was to create a control scheme similar to that of the Gamecube Controller that would be simple and efficient for me and anyone else to use if they had this controller. That's why x & a are set to jump to replicate X & Y on the GCC, b is the replicate A in the sense that it's where your right thumb should always be at and y is to take the place of B as an easy to reach button for moving between the standard attack button and the two jump buttons. I initially tested it out with b and y being switched but it wasn't quite as comfortable or easy to jump right back into, so I changed them around and it fits perfectly. Obviously, ZL and ZR are to be in place of the GCC's L and R shoulder buttons while L and R are the Z button, only there's two. Like I said earlier, I planned this ahead of time since on the normal Classic Controller, L and R are normal shoulder buttons while ZL and ZR are smaller buttons in-between them, so I knew ahead of time that I would have to have the controls set to match the CCP's button layout where ZL and ZR are the more comfortable shoulder buttons to keep your fingers on and L and R are better suited for grabbing or tether shenanigans. I also used the Playstation controllers as a reference to that since they're similar in button layouts, which makes perfect sense if you know the early history between Nintendo and Sony.

I only have ZL set to Up-Taunt because of taunt canceling with certain characters and for 100% more "HYES!" when I serve up the Knee of Justice. XD

I only ever use one button to shield, so I figured I'd use the other one for something else. So yeah, there's only a single button difference between out controls. :3
While I put waaay less thought into this than you (I planned it out through trial and error in the controls test room), my reasoning for every single one of those buttons is exactly the same as yours. Hell, I even tried with B and Y swapped like you did, but came to the conclusion that didn't work for me.

Setting your controls up like this makes it really easy to transition from GCN to CCP (and by extension, Wii U Pro Controller). The default layout is bad, so make sure you mess around with the controls, but the CCP is actually quite a good controller for Smash. I knew I'd have to learn the diamond layout for Smash 4, so I started practicing once I transferred my Wii data to the Wii U.

For everyone's reference, the default controls for the CCP are:
A: attack
B: special
X/Y: jump
L/R: shield
ZL/ZR: grab

Keep in mind that L and R are above ZL and ZR, hence ZL and ZR being shield and L and R being grab. Theoretically, keeping the default should be okay, because you still slide your thumb from A to B in a down-left line, but because your thumb wants to rest on B (the bottom button) by default, it feels weird to mostly attack with A (the right button). Hence B being the most comfortable main attack button. Then it's not too hard to learn to slide your thumb up instead of down to hit Y (the left button) for specials, and X (the top button) to jump.

My biggest complaint about the CCP is that the stick doesn't feel quite as good, or sometimes, as accurate as the GCN stick (and also, I hate sticks being on the bottom, which is a big part of why I find the PS controllers so uncomfortable); however, the Wii U Pro Controller fixes both those issues for me. The sticks feel like the left GameCube stick (or better) and they're both on top. I know that's weird, since most of us are used to the 360 or GCN controller, where they're offset, but it's actually quite comfortable that way. The buttons are close enough to the stick that it's not uncomfortable or difficult to reach for one or the other, and the buttons themselves are very nice. Very responsive, very easy to push in.

As it doesn't look like we'll get to use GCN controllers for Smash 4, I'd start preparing yourselves to use the diamond layout. Especially if you plan to get the game on 3DS as well, where there's no other option but to use the diamond layout.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
My biggest complaint about the CCP is that the stick doesn't feel quite as good, or sometimes, as accurate as the GCN stick (and also, I hate sticks being on the bottom, which is a big part of why I find the PS controllers so uncomfortable); however, the Wii U Pro Controller fixes both those issues for me. The sticks feel like the left GameCube stick (or better) and they're both on top. I know that's weird, since most of us are used to the 360 or GCN controller, where they're offset, but it's actually quite comfortable that way. The buttons are close enough to the stick that it's not uncomfortable or difficult to reach for one or the other, and the buttons themselves are very nice. Very responsive, very easy to push in.
Eh, that's exactly why I hate Xbox controllers. One, they're VERY uncomfortable to hold and use, and 2, I prefer the sticks on the bottom and the D-Pad and buttons on the top. Because of that, I absolutely despise the Wii U Pro Controller and will probably never use one.

I'll definitely always prefer the CCP and PS controllers.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Eh, that's exactly why I hate Xbox controllers. One, they're VERY uncomfortable to hold and use, and 2, I prefer the sticks on the bottom and the D-Pad and buttons on the top. Because of that, I absolutely despise the Wii U Pro Controller and will probably never use one.

I'll definitely always prefer the CCP and PS controllers.
I rarely meet people like you! I have friends who can use the PS controllers, but barely any who outright prefer them. Most people I know like the 360 controllers more. Maybe it's because I have big hands? I can't play on the PS3 for extended periods. Eh, I just can't stand the way it fits into my hands. I find the 360 controller (and thus the Pro Controller) incredibly comfortable. Control sticks on top, buttons below makes the most sense to me.

Also the PS D-pads are crap, though even they are significantly better than the godawful 360 ones.

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
I personally use the CCP with default controls (except ZL Shields). The GameCube controller's shoulder buttons irritate me.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I rarely meet people like you! I have friends who can use the PS controllers, but barely any who outright prefer them. Most people I know like the 360 controllers more. Maybe it's because I have big hands? I can't play on the PS3 for extended periods. Eh, I just can't stand the way it fits into my hands. I find the 360 controller (and thus the Pro Controller) incredibly comfortable. Control sticks on top, buttons below makes the most sense to me.

Also the PS D-pads are crap, though even they are significantly better than the godawful 360 ones.
That is because I am a 100% genuine freak. ¦D

Anyway, I honestly have no problem with the PS D-pad and have always liked it. Probably cause I've played lots of games where I've utilized them a lot and am just very used to them. The CCP's is infinitely better, though. Best D-Pad I've ever used. <3

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
I really don't mind if the Analog Sticks are above or below, I just wish I didn't have to switch between them constantly!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That is because I am a 100% genuine freak. ¦D

Anyway, I honestly have no problem with the PS D-pad and have always liked it. Probably cause I've played lots of games where I've utilized them a lot and am just very used to them. The CCP's is infinitely better, though. Best D-Pad I've ever used. <3
I mean it's decent for actual side-to-side stuff, but going diagonal on that thing is utterly impossible, at least in my experience. Actually, it's kinda the inverse of the 360 D-pad, where it can't do cardinal directions well but is stellar at diagonals. >_< Nintendo D-pad is where it's at!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Well that's rather close-minded. It's an easy swap. I was back to my normal skill level in less than half and hour.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I mean it's decent for actual side-to-side stuff, but going diagonal on that thing is utterly impossible, at least in my experience. Actually, it's kinda the inverse of the 360 D-pad, where it can't do cardinal directions well but is stellar at diagonals. >_< Nintendo D-pad is where it's at!
I think the only reason I'm really used to diagonal stuff is from years of playing Mega Man Legends, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon as a kid before I got DualShocks. XD

But yeah, definitely gotta give the Ninty D-pads props on this one. Even the Wiimote's D-pad is comfortable to use for certain games where you have to, though I'd prefer to be able to use the CCP.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think the only reason I'm really used to diagonal stuff is from years of playing Mega Man Legends, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon as a kid before I got DualShocks. XD

But yeah, definitely gotta give the Ninty D-pads props on this one. Even the Wiimote's D-pad is comfortable to use for certain games where you have to, though I'd prefer to be able to use the CCP.
Ahhh, I grew up with Nintendo, not Sony. The first D-pad I ever used was the SNES one, in Super Mario Bros. 3. Actually, I don't even know the first time I touched a PlayStation or a PlayStation controller...I may have even played an Xbox before any of Sony's things. But seeing as Microsoft has no exclusives that interest me, my roommate and I now own a Wii, a Wii U, a PS2, a PS3, and soon a PS4. And when my girlfriend moves in we'll have a 360 as well, for the odd indie game that isn't on Wii U or PS3 (like BattleBlock Theater). So while I'm used to the PS controller, I'm still far from liking it. =P Sometimes it actually hurts my hand to use it for too long...I was playing inFamous and inFamous 2, and the control scheme (coupled with the controller itself) in that game is so weird that after a couple hours of playtime, my hand was kinda cramping up.

I'm honestly quite impressed with how well-designed the Wii remote is. I never would have thought to have a controller you can use vertically or horizontally, but they were clearly planning for the Virtual Console when they were making the controller.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Ahhh, I grew up with Nintendo, not Sony. The first D-pad I ever used was the SNES one, in Super Mario Bros. 3. Actually, I don't even know the first time I touched a PlayStation or a PlayStation controller...I may have even played an Xbox before any of Sony's things. But seeing as Microsoft has no exclusives that interest me, my roommate and I now own a Wii, a Wii U, a PS2, a PS3, and soon a PS4. And when my girlfriend moves in we'll have a 360 as well, for the odd indie game that isn't on Wii U or PS3 (like BattleBlock Theater). So while I'm used to the PS controller, I'm still far from liking it. =P Sometimes it actually hurts my hand to use it for too long...I was playing inFamous and inFamous 2, and the control scheme (coupled with the controller itself) in that game is so weird that after a couple hours of playtime, my hand was kinda cramping up.

I'm honestly quite impressed with how well-designed the Wii remote is. I never would have thought to have a controller you can use vertically or horizontally, but they were clearly planning for the Virtual Console when they were making the controller.
My family has always bought every system, so I've always had a more varied gaming experience than most people around me. I'd never even heard of the term "Console War" until Sonic got announced for Brawl. XD

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
My family has always bought every system, so I've always had a more varied gaming experience than most people around me. I'd never even heard of the term "Console War" until Sonic got announced for Brawl. XD
I dunno when I first heard it, but I think it was probably before then! >_< Actually, my stepdad (and most of his friends) used to work for Microsoft, so they all had Xboxes and 360s (though for whatever reason we didn't get one for a long time), so I did most of my gaming at other people's houses on that. My dad lives in Denver, and he had the SNES, the N64, and the GCN, and until I bought my own GameCube, that's where I played all my Nintendo games, and I enjoyed them way more than anything Microsoft had to offer me. Though now that I have a PS3, I can play lots of games I missed, and maybe even get used to diagonals on that D-pad. =P

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Literally 15 minutes of playing constantly due to me experimenting what control layout would work best. XD

I actually had the button layout planned ahead of time because I bought the CCP to prepare for Smash 4 since I knew it would be coming eventually. I actually used my normal Classic Controller to experiment and theorize ahead of time what buttons would world well and looked up the CCP to learn that the L/R and ZL/ZR buttons were placed differently between the two, so I knew ahead of time what to do and had additional time to practice and prepare to 100% make the switch whenever the time came for me to purchase the CCP.

So yeah, that's the story. Now I can't go back to Gamecube controllers. They feel clunky and awkward to hold and use compared to the CCP. The buttons press down quickly and easily whether I do it lightly or all the way and it's just very comfortable in my hands. Plus, I'm never worried about batter like since I have 3 pairs of AA rechargeable batteries. If I'm running low on one pair, I always have two other pairs fully charged and ready for me by the time the current ones are about to run out. I've also got the control layout saved on my Wiimote with my name so I can take it anywhere and be prepared to face off with anyone if I'm not playing on my Wii at the time.

Phew...I guess I went all out in preparing to use this controller for the next game, huh? Was that a fun enough bedtime story for you guys? ¦D

Isnt it annoying when the game first loads and you have to navigate the menus with the default control scheme lol. (before you load your name with your control layout)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Isnt it annoying when the game first loads and you have to navigate the menus with the default control scheme lol. (before you load your name with your control layout)
Not at all, actually. :3

I have two mindsets when it comes to controls that I switch back and forth to thoughtlessly. One for when I'm in menus and one for when I'm in matches.

It also helps that I navigate my Wii Menu with the CCP beforehand as well. Plus, I use it with other games too, so it's no annoyance at all.

Besides, the a button is just right next to the b button. Not like there's anything for me to get used to between the two. XD

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah, it's not like changing "attack" on your controller from A to B changes the "accept" button from A to B. Menu navigation is the same.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I just kinda blend the two.

I either have the same config as Wave or something similar, but I've been using my controller scheme and etc for like three years.

The only issue I possibly have with the CCP is the latency issue that is with the wiimotes. Literally nothing else.

Top Bottom