• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Should Luigi be moved from Super Mario to Luigi's Mansion, and we get King Boo as a newcomer?

Luigi's Mansion as an official series in Smash?

• Yes

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Yes, but no King Boo

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 63 66.3%

• Total voters

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
As the dude who made that King Boo support thread and then abandoned it forever, I'm 100% pro any plan that adds in King Boo

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
As the dude who made that King Boo support thread and then abandoned it forever, I'm 100% pro any plan that adds in King Boo
I was wondering why that thread was so inactive; it’s a shame ‘cause King Boo is a really good character choice.

D

Deleted member

Why not add an “No, but yes to King Boo” option to the poll? Just a thought.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think this would be a cool idea. A good way of re-imagining the way we organize the roster.
Stupid alt.

I do, however, want to clarify some of my opinions: I wanted to re-imagine the way we recognize series and fighters. I feel like if Luigi was moved to Luigi's Mansion in celebration of LM3 it would help not only market the game (I take a marketing class), but also help Luigi come out of Mario's shadow.

Personally I like the idea but if you have another opinion I totally respect that and I see the logic behind all arguments.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I like Luigi as everyone's favorite player two, who sometimes gets to be number one.

And I don't want King Boo as a playable character - he would make a great assist though. I would really prefer E.Gadd, who should also be in the Mario Kart, Party and sports by now.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
- Nah, don't really want the Mario series in Smash to splinter off into more spin-offs. Luigi's Mansion doesn't seem like it really merits being treated separately either, as it only has three games and uses largely the same cast and enemies as the main Mario titles
- Wouldn't mind it if King Boo got in (as long its his Luigi's Mansion design, and not his 'normal boo with a crown' Mario Kart design or 'high as a kite' design from Sunshine), but there are numerous Mario characters I'd rather get in first

1FC0

Smash Lord
I'm not against Luigi being his own thing, but something about King Boo being a fighter feels weird to me. He's a ghost with infinite flight. To make him workable in Smash he'd have to lose that infinite flight and be tangible so you can hit him. Basically you'd have to remove his Boo like abilities.
Charizard, Mewtwo, and Ridley can all freely fly as well. King Boo just needs something like a great recovery with multiple air jumps. And King Boo could easily have a moveset focusing around using intangibility to dodge attacks. Ha could be given Mewtwo's airdodge and Palutena's rolls and maybe even a few moves which grant him intangibility or invisibility to be used for mindgames.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I've always thought of King Boo as the first character to float permanently, and I think that would be awesome.

As for separating Luigi from the Mario branch, I don't know. I mean, it makes sense, but it seems off.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I've always thought of King Boo as the first character to float permanently, and I think that would be awesome.
If they were going to do that, wouldn't they have done it with Kirby? The unfortunate issue with permanent flight is that it makes stalling incredibly easy. All the floater would have to do is gain a stock advantage and then float up out in the corner where they can't be reached, then wait out the timer. It would be a character who was not only immediately banned in tournaments, but incredibly frustrating for couch play. Every group would have that one player who would abuse it to win matches constantly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If they were going to do that, wouldn't they have done it with Kirby? The unfortunate issue with permanent flight is that it makes stalling incredibly easy. All the floater would have to do is gain a stock advantage and then float up out in the corner where they can't be reached, then wait out the timer. It would be a character who was not only immediately banned in tournaments, but incredibly frustrating for couch play. Every group would have that one player who would abuse it to win matches constantly.
King boo can follow the same rules of Smash just fine, we already have characters that can stay airborne in the roster.

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
No, because I have a better idea.

Give every character their own icons and let them represent themselves, rather than arbitrarily forcing them into specific series. Let Luigi represent BOTH SMB and Luigi's Mansion.

Also King Boo gets a big hell yes.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm fine with all of this. King Boo's a cool first party Nintendo character that shows up with some frequency and Luigi has increasingly broken off over the years to do his own thing and has become further diversified from Mario in Smash to coincide with that trajectory. I'm all in for this.

1FC0

Smash Lord
That would be a fun idea. Stalling could easily be prevented by only allowing King Boo to float up only to a certain height measured from the ground where he otherwise would be standing. I would also like it if King Boo could sink into the ground a bit so that he would in effect have a very low hitbox and be able to hit characters like Pichu with his USmash or Utilt.

Top Bottom