• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #14 - When Will You Retire From Competitive SSBM?

When Will You Retire From Competitive SSBM?

• Retire? Pfft, never!

Votes: 148 36.2%
  • Maybe eventually, but not for a long time.

Votes: 214 52.3%
  • I plan on retiring pretty soon.

Votes: 24 5.9%
  • I'm already in the process of retiring.

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • SSBM? Who plays that old game anymore?

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
To quote Buzz:

Buzz said:
I hate bringing up the end of smash. I never want it to end. However, I want to know what everyone thinks about their own smash habits. Is there an end in sight for you? Or is it an eternal bliss?

For me personally... I won't quit until the world quits. As long as there are groups of smashers out there I am willing to keep my smash skills alive. I don't see myself getting sick of it anytime soon.

Oh by the way, SSBR does not count as a planned retirement. That is still smash, is it not? :chuckle:
So, I'll clarify the subject a bit - when do you plan on retiring from competitive SSBM? SSBR is a whole 'nother story we'll save for later, but for right now, with only 16 days left till E3, and the competitve Smash scene winding down, is your interest in competitve Smash waning as well?

For me, not really. If there's a tournament within reach, I'll still go, but I won't go out of my way to go to a tournament. How about everyone else?

(Note: since this will be the POTW for the entire week, I'm going to edit the poll choices a bit, so if you voted in the other poll, just revote here).

Edit - Bah, whatever, I've got important work to do, just re-vote, continue discussion, yadda yadda.
-Kokichi

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
I love Smash to death, and will never stop playing. However, I have a planned retirement for the more competitive part of the game. That's when SSBR comes out. Sounds stupid, but that's when school is really going to kick up for me, and Melee is already taking enough from my grades as it is.

Or, Revolution will rock so hard I'll just have to take the grade hit. We'll have to wait and see. :p

Zero Link

Smash Apprentice
Well, I won't be stopping no time soon. I mean, I still have to practice for Super Smash Bros Revoluion.. Its going to be some tough players out there. So I won't quit.

gnosis

Smash Lord
I'm with you! I don't invision a retirement outside of a forced one.

Does switching from Melee to Revolution count as retiring though? Cause then I might have a planned one (depending on if SSBR is as good/better or not).

spud

Smash Apprentice
Barring any unforseen circumstances I think I will play until I am out of college, and currently I am a freshman in highschool. So I m not really going to think about it for alwhile.

Zero Link

Smash Apprentice
Marth05 said:
I'll retire when I can finally find someone out their who can actually beat me, extremely looking foward to fighting everyone online when Super Smash Bros. Revolution is released...
well get ready to retire. Once you fight Death By **** (DBR) or Super Doodle Man, you'll lose horribly.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
SSBR does not count as a planned retirement. That is still smash, is it not? :chuckle:

Zero Link

Smash Apprentice
Marth05 said:
I can't wait. I'm really excited to have finally found some people worth playing against, I just love this game playing right now as I am posting against my siblings... 24/7
lol, your eager to get beat huh? Do you have any videos of yourself?

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
If SSB:R turns out crappy (which I doubt will happen), then the only way I'll quit Smash is if nobody goes back to Melee.

So it's like this:
Worst case scenario: SSB:R sucks, Smashers get mad and quit Smash altogether.
Neutral case scenario: SSB:R sucks, but we keep playing Melee anyway.
Good case scenario: SSB:R is good, so we play it along with Melee.
Best case scenario: SSB:R is AWESOME, revolutionizes the way we play Smash, and pretty much replaces Melee like Melee did for SSB64.

I vote for the best case scenario. No offense to Melee. I love Melee. But if something comes out that is that much better than Melee...that actually might be TOO awesome, if you think about it.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Well, some things that are stopping me from playing, are my friends who think Video Games are useless for me, and the fact that I'm a bit isolated right now since my mother doesn't want me going to other areas to play a video game. Hopefully when I'm a little older (maybe 1 more year-.-) I'll be able to get more active in the SSBM community; hopefully when SSBR comes out.

Zero Link

Smash Apprentice
Okurama said:
lol, dude, i already have seen those vids (i think almost everyone in this place have seen them).

okay back to topic, i say HELL NO!!! am not retiring until every single pro dies (if Ken dies everyone will cry and quit smash, lol)
Apparently not Marth. I was just letting him know that he's not the best on here. ^_^
Not everyone have seen those vids though.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Marth05 said:
Ok I agree that who ever was playing with link is highly advanced and I am a also extremly good listen I need to challenge that person There has to be some where we can meet I am serious I am extremely good at the game too I play this game every single day every hour every minute and I haven't came accross anyone in my life who could actually beat me I have to challenge your freind!
LOL @ dis *****!

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Marth05 said:
Ok I agree that who ever was playing with link is highly advanced and I am a also extremly good listen I need to challenge that person There has to be some where we can meet I am serious I am extremely good at the game too I play this game every single day every hour every minute and I haven't came accross anyone in my life who could actually beat me I have to challenge your freind!
Thats adorable :D

Anyway - on topic. I don't think I'm actualy capable of getting bored of smash. I've been running a gaming club for the past three years (Well, semi-running, it was a family run thing), and over the past 4 months it's become an actual shop, and the only game we've had for all those years is Smash, alongside MTG/40K - but the only thing we have on the GC, pretty much 24/7 is Smash, and I've only recently started getting into competetive smash in England, and it's actualy becoming more interesting. ^^

EDIT: Oh lord xD I just read the rest of that guys posts. "Usualy my predictions come true..." **** watching anyone from DBR take a swing at him. I want to be the first person to break this childs bubble xD I imagine it would be like taking someones virginity, only this time around you want them to break down and cry IT HURTS! IT HURTS!

FURTHER EDIT: Oh, and I play Peach. What happens to be your prediction then?

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Ill probably quit SSBM not to long before the revolution comes out around here in NY i never find any1 that uses lower tiers like me ( i main as Link as u can tell be the user name) and my lower tiers just dont seem to cut it in tournaments =( so i can see my self gorwing weary of this game alrdy

TheRedMarth

Smash Apprentice
I really don't want to retire from smash but it's hard to keep it going. Everyone I play (outside of professional tournaments)seems to burn out of it way quicker. It seems none of them have a never-say-die attitude so I have to drag them back to the GC to play smash.

I don't want to retire, but I don't have the juice to pull them kicking and screaming back to the game. And the CPU's a joke. I play the CPU now to practice my powersheilding but the CPU's so ridiculously predictable that I feel I'm losing my edge just from playing it. I can't wait for SSB Online. Instant access to eager players.

When I have that I imagine I'll never retire.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Marth05 said:
Umm, first of all I never said I was the best in the game, I just said I never lost against the people I played with around here, and second I really want to vs the people who are the "Best." Oh yea and Lord Rust I only say my predictions come true sometimes because if you use Jigglypuff, Mr.Game and Watch, or Bowser than I could probably kick your a$s but since you use Peach your are probably really skilled at the game... Oh yea and another thing I don't just walk around the level tapping the "a" button the whole time, I actually wavedash and tap jump a lot. _$h0ws h0w much u kn0_
As someone said before, please take this off-topic discussion elsewhere. You're not even making a valid point. There are so many players that wavedash and short-hop ("tap jump"??) and still have a hard time winning. Start a new thread and challenge the best players.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I'll eventually get sick of it, but I don't see that happening very soon. So untill then I'll stay true to playin everyday. ;)

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I certainly hope not to retire from competitive smash any time soon,but I might end up losing enthusiasm for it at some point,as that seems to happen for everything that I get into.Right now where I live,I have friends who play it but only mildly,and I lack any competition.I can still do some light travelling to meet good players once in a while though,and even if theres no competition here it isnt going to kill me off.I love the game too much.
Basically,I want to keep playing competitve smash for as long as I can.

Fall

Smash Ace
i dont see myself stopping for a long time i am very excited about playing smash online i just hope it doesnt take up my whole life

RAM

Smash Lord
I never want to quit it's just so fun especially 4 players when you are'nt fighting for bragging rights but want to take a break and just smash each others skulls in :laugh: . as far as the revolution, once it comes out I won't play online cause there will always be that one person who have to hack the game and cheat. the only way I see myself playing online is if Smash boards had their own league where if someone is under the suspision of hacking or clearly hacking the game, can be reported. or if I'm playing with friends that's about it. but as I see it everyone will be starting all over as far as chars and skill go when the revolution comes out

Link-NY

Smash Ace
RAM said:
I never want to quit it's just so fun especially 4 players when you are'nt fighting for bragging rights but want to take a break and just smash each others skulls in :laugh: . as far as the revolution, once it comes out I won't play online cause there will always be that one person who have to hack the game and cheat. the only way I see myself playing online is if Smash boards had their own league where if someone is under the suspision of hacking or clearly hacking the game, can be reported. or if I'm playing with friends that's about it. but as I see it everyone will be starting all over as far as chars and skill go when the revolution comes out
You have a good point there.... i didnt notice untill now there will be that 1 a$$hole that will have to hack into the game and ruin it....i can see myself eventually Hammering on the SSBR disk because of same ghey hacker.. id give the game 3 weeks before some1 hacks it

ChaosKnightXD

Smash Apprentice
I wont quit until i do a Quintuple Nair with C.Falcon and even then i wont quit, I love smash.

I can only do double nair so far though so i got some work to do. lol

RAM

Smash Lord
Link-NY said:
You have a good point there.... i didnt notice untill now there will be that 1 a$$hole that will have to hack into the game and ruin it....i can see myself eventually Hammering on the SSBR disk because of same ghey hacker.. id give the game 3 weeks before some1 hacks it
don't let my opinion stop you from playing friend. that's just how I feel, I would'nt want to have a blemish on my record because my opponent suddenly flies back to the stage and multipy into 3 peaches or something LOL man that would so piss me off if someone could do that. if a solution does come up to ensure a cheat free match I'll be more than happy to play online :)

Mr Kain

Smash Apprentice
One day smash is gonna get really repetative, and you never know if people will get bored of doing the samething over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom