• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #12 - Cheapest Character?

Cheapest Character?

• Doctor Mario

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Luigi

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Bowser

• Peach

Votes: 199 15.7%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Donkey Kong

• Captain Falcon

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 9 0.7%
  • Falco

Votes: 86 6.8%
  • Fox

Votes: 134 10.6%
  • Ness

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • Ice Climbers

Votes: 52 4.1%
  • Kirby

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Samus

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • Zelda

• Sheik

Votes: 325 25.7%
  • Link

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • Young Link

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Pichu

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • Pikachu

• Jigglypuff

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • Mewtwo

• Mr. Game & Watch

Votes: 9 0.7%
  • Marth

Votes: 276 21.8%
  • Roy

Votes: 13 1.0%

• Total voters

smashfan34

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts.

I think marth is overall the cheapest in the game. Forward smash.. end of story. sheik and peach are hightly up there. sometimes I think peach is chepaer than marth, because I know a kid that consistently pulls stitch faces. I dont think falco is cheap at all. I play decent falcos and I dont view them as cheap. Fox can be cheap. Link can have some cheap factors, mainly related to dair. dsmash, can be cheap, and up B can be cheap, but up b is punishable. if ever anyone plays really cheap, I feel link does have a small cheap factor. no where near marths though. the thing with marths fsmash is, it doesnt matter if you know they are going to use fsmash alot, it covers so much range, it really doesnt matter if they see it coming sometimes.

Wireframe

Smash Apprentice
Yeah marth is pretty cheap and peach and shiek are also bad, but mines gotta be fox and falco.
Once falcos combo gets going(you know the one i mean) it's so hard to DI out of. Fox's shine spikes and smash attacks speak for themself.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i would have to say shiek, due to her no lag arieal attacks. her bair has a crazy hitbox, and she is like s0000 eZ to master. :-\ i will say fox and falco are quite a pester with their fast combos and such. but it actually takes a level of skill to be socalled cheap with fox

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
It was a toss up for me between sheik and Marth. Sheik because of her ability for a complete and total N00B to pick her up and still stand a chance against some decent (not good but decent) players.
Marth however with the tipper and the chain throws won it over for me.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
I'm surprised how cheap people think sheik is. Maybe she is on a lower level of completive play because she is easy to use but I never saw any good player get pissed off about sheik because usually they get pissed off when the character has one cheap move like Peach's down smash, and Marth's forward smash.

Someguysean

Smash Rookie
FOX!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can beat him but fox is the character i have problems with

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I don't know. I guess I'll vote for ganon since he gets no love..
Way to contribute nothing to the conversation and throw the poll's around... awesome dude. :chuckle:

Oh and i almost forgot the IC's man i wish i could take my vote back now, getting infinite grabbed makes me angry but what are you gonna do

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
This whole thread is bull****. There are no "cheap" character in Melee. That's the beauty of it. You can play with anyone you desire to. Just listen to the announcer dude, "Choose your character."

pdk

Smash Lord
learn to laugh, son

and i figured that poor young link must feel dejected knowing that he only had one vote, so i voted for him out of the kindness of my heart <3

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
This whole thread is bull****. There are no "cheap" character in Melee. That's the beauty of it. You can play with anyone you desire to. Just listen to the announcer dude, "Choose your character."

It'll be great if it was that way but it is quite utopic. It's a shame humans are unperfect and hence, programmers most likely make mistakes when trying to perfectly balance the chars stats.... is not an easy task after all. Thinking they are all perfectly balanced is naive.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
It'll be great if it was that way but it is quite utopic. It's a shame humans are unperfect and hence, programmers most likely make mistakes when trying to perfectly balance the chars stats.... is not an easy task after all. Thinking they are all perfectly balanced is naive.

I know the game is not flawless. I was just trying to make a point across that characters match up differently against different characters, and that there is no reason to complain about a character being cheap because you can choose any character to use yourself, meaning your opponent nor you has any advantage over one another in this way.

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
Shiek FTL :(

Not only does she not suffer any lag from any kind of moves, her speed is ludocris (Spelling) she can chain ariels like no tomorrow and her lousy dash moved just sucks. Not only does it suck, if she's in the right position, she'll go through your shield and make shield grabbing extremly difficult. And let's not forget those spikes.

Not to mention Needles>>>>every other projectile in the game

Then we get to her smash attacks

*remembers Dsmash*

sigh....

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
As cheap as Shiek is, I think Peach takes the cake.

What's her dress made of, anyway? Folded Steel? My poor Samus who reflexivly CCs to dtilt dosn't like that folded steel dress very much :'(

Lagless aerials...need I say more?

Horizontal recovery stupidly long, Parasol's priority higher then any dair I've ever tried, except a perfectly tippered Marth spike. Not to mention of course, the "Peach-a-cide", where you repeatedly put in/out your parasol to keep hitting a fastfaller, dragging them down every time. Like no Peach players do this, except in teams, if it's a 2v1 in their favor.

Uhh, has anyone else noticed that "Peach" is an anagram of "Cheap"? Yeah...about that...

EDIT: "Not to mention Needles>>>>every other projectile in the game"

Just saw this in the post above me. BLASPHEMY! Falco's lasers own those rediculous sewing tools!

MattNF

Smash Lord
peach, easily. that downsmash is annoying as hell, and can do like 65% if you CC it. and turnip spamming is stupidly overpowered too(for me at least) since my friend always pulls stitch faces and bob-ombs

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice
Peach, absolutly takes the cake!

God forbid you CC against a Dsmash spammer, or get caught with turnip spamming for edgegaurding.. requires virtually no technical skill at all.

Her Parasol (upB) has rediculous priority even to Ganon's powerful meteor. Most unbalanced recovery and DI ability out of any character. 2nd step from Sheik being the easiest character to win with.

Best bet for me at the last tourney i won (where I faced one of these Peach players, MAJOR Dsmash spammer too) is Yoshi's Island, not a lotta room for light characters to DI, easy to abuse tippers with Marth, especially when Forward Chain Throwing Peach up to 18% despite DI.

Falco can pin her down in small levels too by controlling the center with SHLs and shuffle Dairs to Fsmashes.

But yeah, die Peach!!

o.O

-Kirua

sigma

Smash Cadet
i vote ice climbers... they have their stupid unexcapable grab combos that are in every way cheap...... marth has his range, but thats nothing cant be gotten around... fox has his infinite, but that is hard to land on poeple.... idk why poeple thought shiek was cheap and im much too lazy to read through all this to find out why... but as soon as the climbers grab hold of your scruff and start beating u with their hammers over and over and over and over untill u have overr 999 damage... thats just no good

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, according to this list. Young Link and Luigi are some of the worst characters in the game and characters such as Mr. Game and Watch, Pichu, and Roy are worth playing.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
ICs are cheap because of their major desynchs. ever played wobbles -_- i did. desynchs aer impossible to get out from and there is no end to ICs

Link226

Smash Ace
Honestly i don't know to vote for, I cant vote. Its either Peach, Marth, Fox, and a experienced Falco. I play around with these characters (except for Peach) a lot and i can notice how unfair and easy it is to win with them. It isn't normal for my main Link which i think im above average with, been playing with for years, since last year going to tourneys and playing other great people, to know i have a better Fox, who i never tried to main and play with him once in a blue moon.

Peach has her d-smash which can win games even if u have 0%, freakin turnips, Falcos crazy *** lasers, spike, shine, Fox up-smash, shine, up-air, lasers. Its so crazy because all of their cheapness is extremely high.

Why the hell are people saying that theirs nothing cheap? Its so biased when they say that stupid ****. Because most likely their mains are one of those cheap characters. For me the definition of cheap is when someone so knew to the game can use a character so easily...and the only reason why anyone would be able to use a character so easily is because of their ridiculous move set. *Thinks about Marth, Shiek, Fox*

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Also, this is one of the most balanced games i can think of, there are plenty of characters with cheap stuff, so it kinda evens out.

:joyful:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LMAO!!! :joyful:

Are you kidding? This is one of the most unbalanced, broken fighting games ever. I'll be ****ed if it's not fun though.

Having recently made IC my main, I don't understand why people consider them cheap. Yes, they can Chain grab but grabbing is really the only thing that they have.

Fox's shine is the cheapest move in the game. No start-up lag, no ending lag. If you're knocked off of the edge with a decent Fox, just kill yourself. It's also the most flexible move, giving Fox almost an infinite number of combos.

I can't say that Sheik is the cheapest but I can say that she is the most broken. I dunno how to define it.

I

i8waffles612

wow i thought more ppl would vote for yoshi... allhe does is he poops ppl out... which is kinda funny... lol

Smash Journeyman
I think this is a very accurate thread.. Marth, Shiek, and peach are all a toss up. They all take little skill to master, and counter just about anyone. I would say that other characters are cheap too if used right, but they actually take skill.

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
Ice Climbers. Period. If you haven't played a good Ice Climbers player, you wouldn't know the cheapness. Ohhh, the cheapness...

Grab = Death

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers. Period. If you haven't played a good Ice Climbers player, you wouldn't know the cheapness. Ohhh, the cheapness...

Grab = Death
That's why I play Ice Climbers, but a grab doesn't guarantee death. A well placed grab means death. I play Ice Climbers so I say peach.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's a shame that some people think that falco and fox are cheap...
I agree that no character is really cheap, but you got to admit. SHL is really annoying and always will be. It's not cheap by any means (nothing aside from maybe wobbling really is) but it's still a devestating tactic with few flaws. Pillaring is also very annoying because of how it allows you to simply break through defenses rather than tricking your opponent into letting it down. They're great tactics and should be used to their fullest, but it's still the same kind of thing Marth does with spaced fairs. It's putting a lot of pressure on the opponent with almost no risk to yourself.

Zoomzoomkid111

Smash Cadet
Depends on the user, I have a friend that can seriously slaughter me with Ice Climbers, all the while he's horrible with "top tier" characters like Fox, Marth, and Sheik

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers aren't HORRIBLE vs Fox, Marth, and Sheik. ALL 3 characters have to be careful against Ice Climbers and play carefully. Actually, pretty much every character in the game has to, they're that annoying.

Also, Sheik's Dash A move only annoying when you lack the ability to read anything. Her grab game, spacing (with aerials and tilts), edgeguarding ability, combo ability, etc. are far more annoying.

EDIT:

I'm really suprised Zelda isn't considered one of the cheapest characters....

Her down B turns her into one of the best characters in the game....how is that not cheap???

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Cheap = johns

but I went with sheik for obvious reasons. Automatic combos dominate when newbies play, they require no effort and if you don't DI the fair, its very mean and kills you.

At the top level, its gotta be marth and fox, once again for obvious reasons. Peach is up there too.

also how a user plays, for instance Sheiks A while dashing is a constant annoyance
Shieldgrab. And you wont be so annoyed. Dash attack spam is the most punishble thing in the game, you just have to hold shield and press A and presto, you're on the offensive and your opponent is screwed royally.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
At the top level, Sheik is still up there...I mean, she does well against every character in the game and she's commonly used among competitive players.

Btw, Fox actually takes skill to play unlike Marth and Sheik. Also, I don't see why you didn't mention Falco (who takes less skill to play than Fox but is yet still amazing).

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Fox/Falco take a lot of effort for them to actually beast on other characters plus their fast falling makes them easy to combo, so I wouldn't call them cheap. Marth's range is just ******** (his sword AND his 10-foot grab) but I still wouldn't consider him cheap because he doesn't have a projectile he can spam.

But Peach is just the gayest of gay:
- Downsmash does ****loads much damage with 0% lag (What the ****?)
- Floating (Falco is a ****ing bird and he can't even float an inch)
- She's floaty, so she can't be combo'ed very easily
- Parasol not only has stupid priority and recovery, and you still can't even attack her from above because the parasol itself is a hitbox.
- Constant turnip spamming. Add to the fact she can pull out a beam sword, a bob-omb, or a powerful vegatable that can get instant kills on other characters after a certain percentage. She is the only character in melee who can use items in a match where items are turned off.
- Why is her range so good and why is her f-throw so strong? It's just a wimpy slap.
- She's easy to use effectively

I really hate Peach...

Top Bottom