• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #10 - Do Videogames Make Good Movies?

Poll Of The Week #10 - Do Videogames Make Good Movies?

• Yes they do, the ones out now are pretty good.

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • They could definitely use some work, but the potential is there.

Votes: 147 47.3%
  • Videogames are meant to be interactive, that's why they don't make good movies.

Votes: 71 22.8%
  • Videogame movies suck almost as much as movie videogames.

Votes: 72 23.2%

• Total voters

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Video games make good movies in the sense that a video game can be considered a movie of sorts [well some of them]. Other than that, no.

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
My vote went to "Potential".

All the video game movies out now, (IMO RE1 is the exception), are really not at all good.

Although the Halo movie looks reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly promising. I.E. Directors/Producer. Although I'm sure they are going to ruin it with a crappy actor as Master Cheif. Personally my vote is Bruce Willis.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
the problem is that they evn try to follow the game. games were meant to be played, not watched. who of us watches their friends play for an hour? that's right, noone. if they wanted to make a movie into a game, they should choose games with good, long stories. emphasis on long. the only good game movie was mortal combat because it had no plot to stick to. the writers had to come up with their own. movie writers write lines for movies.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I'd watch Geist if someone made it into a good movie. Advent Children, which wasn't strictly a game port, but added on to the story, I thought was very well made, so it shows that it is possible for games with a pretty good storyline and memorable characters.

Interactivity shouldn't have much to do with it, all they'd have to do is shorten the enemies/rooms you have to go through, focus on solving puzzles, and kind of have a few big boss fights and call it good.

Dark Yoshi77

Smash Journeyman
They typically suck. If the story originated on video games then it would make a terrible movie because some parts would have to be cut out to make a reasonable legnth movie. While if the story originated on a movie its usually too short for a video game and gimmicks need to be added to lengthen and increase difficulty. There are some good video game movies and vice versa but this is usually the case.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
I would probably poop my pants with joy if a Mega Man X movie was made... or an anime series.

roy2

Smash Apprentice
Most video game movies are god awful (resident evil..........shudder) but Final Fantasy VII Advent Children has proved they can work. If the people who make the game make the movie it will more than likely work. They will put in the effort & wont screw around with the story(resident evil apocolapse...........shudder even more)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
*lol at above post* some pretty decent tv shows have been made from games. thats becuase they have time to do all they want and not just jam it into a one hr. movie. seriously, the scene in doom when it goes to first person was just painful.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
paris hilton is a terrible actress would **** the role of samus...

The Doom Movie sucked a lot, it really did.

What decent Tv shows came from games I can think of some bad ones like Kirby: Right back at ya, Captain N, the super mario bros super show, The legend of zelda and Donkey Kong Country.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well there is a MEtroid Movie in development, alhough I think it's being done by the guys doing the Halo movie, so it'll be a long time coming, but I wouldn't be expecting much. They already changed Samus' suit into being made by humans. If they can't even get something so incidental right.....sigh....

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
So no one else likes Mega Man X eh? Oh well, and don't worry, I'm not going to keep bring it up ;)

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
So it's going to be another Doom movie
Oh gods no!

If they make this movie so badlythat metroid start to gain negative popularity, I think I will lose what little faith I have left in the movie industy. I don't see why they don't just do some sort of study group for gamers (who would be watching the movie) and ask: "WHAT DO YOU WANT IN THE MOVIE!" Then they can reply: Non-human made power suits :dizzy:

Iron

Smash Journeyman
I didn't read everyone's posts, but there is a Halo movie coming out with Peter Jackson as executive producer. Although every video game movie ever made has sucked--except for Mortal Kombat which was mediocre--with Peter Jackson, the wealth of Microsoft, and a solid novel for a script basis, Halo could shape up to be a decent movie that serves as a Holy Grail for all video gamers.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
Videogame movies are TERRIBLE!

I've never seen one I'd even consider decent, let alone good. But some people like that cornball action crap. You'd never catch me watching it though.

And in regards to the Halo movie, they would have to go all out with CGI on like a LotR or King Kong level to even have a chance at achieving box office success. Gonna need some good writers too, because honestly the plot of Halo is pretty dry so far.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Iron said:
Although every video game movie ever made has sucked--except for Mortal Kombat which was mediocre
u quack! mortal combat wasnt just good for a video game movie. i was good period. yea the metroid movie is going to bomb big time. the suit made by humans?o.O heck no!

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
Hell no! The only thing videogame movies do is crap up everything that the game itself did perfectly well and make a mockery of the game by making it out to be something that it's not supposed to be. Resident Evil 2, Doom, and Mortal Kombat are all examples of movies that suck because the all the producers wanted out of the movie was just a quick buck and nothing else. However, I am hopeful that Silent Hill will break this vicious cycle for crappy videogame-based movies because it actually looks like it has some depth to it. My fingers are crossed.

Liveit_

Smash Apprentice
F8X said:
I think that their is a huge potential for video game movies, but they have yet to use their potential.(AKA Peter Jackson most likely will help halo do good

Peter Jackson is doing Halo?? w00teh, go NZ! :chuckle:

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
For me, tied between the 2nd vote and the 3rd, but I picked the 3rd. If I watch a movie based around the plot of a video game, I'll know not to expect too much, because the storyline will take a hit. It happened with Mario (darker, Bowser-less, Peach-less), Sonic (Land of the Sky/Land of Darkness?), Street Fighter (Charlie ain't Blanka, period), and Doom (from what I'm hearing). I don't remember the storyline for Mortal Kombat exactly, but I think it was intact, and it was okay. I don't know the storyline for Final Fantasy or Resident Evil, but The Spirits Within was sooo boring; at least Advent Children had some awesome action to make things interesting, and RE Apocalypse was so-so (I didn't see the first one).

The Metroid movie already seems to be straying far from the roots with the whole suit-made-by-humans thing. What next, the Space Pirates are human as well?

The only games I could probably see making good movies are Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, Smash Bros., F-Zero (that'd rule), or...that's all I got. A Smash Bros. movie would have to be animated to be good, and with some type of story. F-Zero just needs to have Captain Falcon as the protagonist to be even acceptable. I actually think DMC would be better as a movie than a game, animated or otherwise. GTA...has all it needs already.

MegaKirby9

Smash Apprentice
If there is a bright center to the Universe, I'm i
When I say the potential is out there I don't mean for SSB. Now Soul Calibur 3--THAT would make an awesome movie! A medieval-type world where the fates of all the major characters are ruled by one sword, and everyone out to find it for their own reasons; I mean, who wouldn't want to see that?

Wuss

Smash Champion
This has probably been said (i didnt read all of the posts), but a zelda movie has potential i think. A good plot, potential for good fighting/action, love scene (zelda, oh yea!). Plus, those games own anyway so a movie would own just because it is about link and what not. Ganon could be such a well done villian...

therealink

Smash Cadet
I think they could make good video game movies if they were animated, but I mean it would only draw the gamers and anime fans. Soooo

therealink

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah addin on to my last post it would depend on the game, I would say the game would have to be somewhat popular also, and have characters that you want to find out about, and a believable plot.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
one of the problems in turning video games into movies is that the majority of video games are built around the interaction, and the stories are usually very bland, even in rpg's, which tend to be story-intensive. almost every rpg story is built around fighting, which makes for nice gameplay but icky screenplay.

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
DUUUUDES!!!! We could have a Super Smash Bros movie that's based around adventure mode, and like there would be different plots for each one. See, in the mushroom kingdom he's all shocked and thinks he's dreaming and the Yoshis are prophets who tell him that he must get to the end and defeat Giga Boweser and fulfill the prophecy, and then they are possesed and he has to kill him, and then Donkey Kong kidnaps him and first he has to take out his two jail guards and then go kill DK, and then in the underground maze he is faced by Clones of Link that chase him through the catacombs, and he gets locked in a room and has to get out and kill Link's girlfriend cuz that's the only thing he cares about, and in Metroid he has to get something from Samus so he kills her but then the planet starts to blow up so he has to get out at the LAST SECOND and then in Kirby's Dreamland

I ran out of ideas about there.
Yeah they're all really lame, because there's usually no plot to the video games. This is why final fantasy and halo are better movies than SMB and DK and anything on Jetix because they actually have plots and you don't ahve to make them up.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Nearly any video game movie that's not directed by Uwe Boll is good. I can't think of any. :p

Zeke_

Smash Journeyman
I dont think video games should be made into movies because it comes out bad. For example, resident evil is an excellent game but they made a terrible movie, imo, and then a sequel, err.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I am still split on VG movies. Most of the ones released so far stunk, there is no denying that but I definitely think that there is potential there that can be realised, its just a matter of choosing the right series to turn into a movie. Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid are examples of two games that could easily become movies but once this is decided its a matter of picking the right actor to get the parts 100% spot on for the fans, a writer who can make a script with a plot to pay tribute to the games, and a musical score that would suit the game as well.

I am yet to check out Silent Hill, but I hear good things about it (mainly since it only just came out in Australia at the cinemas) and I am interested to check it out. Halo is another movie that has my interest, I'll wait for trailers before I decide though.

DuKe™

Smash Journeyman
there are some good video game movies like Resident Evil and than there are bad video game movies like Final Fantasy: the spirits within which wasnt actually based on a video game but it did suck real bad

Skywalker

Space Jump
Was Silent Hill directed by Uwe Boll?

EDIT: The only good video game movie I can recall was FFVII Advent Children.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Resident Evil wasn't that good of a video game movie. But I can easily tell you which one was the worst. Three simple words:

Super. Mario. Brothers.

That movie stunk and is what I blame for my natural skeptical view I hold toward any VG movie... it was honestly done terribly. Another one that didn't help was Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat... now I think of it there have been a few lol.

Can someone tell me if Silent Hill is actually any good?

Top Bottom